Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

We looked shaky as feck, anyone could see that. He's added a calmness that wasn't there before.
We haven’t improved as a team though. So what Was the point. Johnny Evans could have made us look more calm whilst us continuing to be crap and we would have still have 65£m spare.

Bruce Wayne

I just realized that this Haaland is the son of Alf-Igne who played for Leeds and Man City and whose career was ended by Roy Keane...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I just realized that this Haaland is the son of Alf-Igne who played for Leeds and Man City and whose career was ended by Roy Keane...
I guess it's not been mentioned on this page.

SerenityValley

Roy must have been amazing then as Haaland played on for a couple of years, and retired due to his other knee...

RooneyLegend

But our squad is exactly the issue, our depth has absolutely fecked us so far this season. Almost 0 quality depth in midfield, Matic being our only real midfield back up we have, 0 quality depth in attack, which we saw by how badly we struggled without Martial and how overplayed Rashford's been, and aside from Williams, who's just a kid, we don't have a decent back up full back.

In all comps this season Mbappe has 9 in 11 games and Haland has 26 in 18.
Our biggest issue is that our first 11 isn't all that. That means that's what we need to look to address first. This kid will be very expensive and not address our problem areas as they are.

I'm more worried about is having Fred and McT starting rather than Matic as back up. More worried that we still believe in Shaw as our first choice left back. More worried about Lindelof starting. Let's sort that out before blowing loads of money in a position where arguably our best player starts.

gulli_G

But our squad is exactly the issue, our depth has absolutely fecked us so far this season. Almost 0 quality depth in midfield, Matic being our only real midfield back up we have, 0 quality depth in attack, which we saw by how badly we struggled without Martial and how overplayed Rashford's been, and aside from Williams, who's just a kid, we don't have a decent back up full back.

In all comps this season Mbappe has 9 in 11 games and Haland has 26 in 18.
Wow

rampo

I don't blame you - for some reason, that point is never mentioned on this thread

zenith

That is brand new information!!

Haaland is a unique one for me. His price seems a little too steep for a prospect and we have to address gaping holes in the first team for RW and CM

Unless we have decided that the major chunk of the budget goes to haaland and James would be our long term RW. Also, any midfield reinforcement in would only come from the sale of pogba.

BlueHaze

That's probably where he'll end up unless we 100% go for him. Although I noticed his agent is Raiola so he probanly has some mega deal in sight in which he'll make his best to rinse us or any other top club.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I remember when Mbappe was a sensation in Monaco there were people here that didn't want him here : "farmers league", "We can't be sure", "will be too expensive for a kid" etc etc and then once PSG signed him and He's just as good as He was at Monaco (or even better, which was like a fecking common sense), They began to moan and were dumbfounded at his exploits (which was a common knowledge that the kid was fecking good).

We can't afford to do the same with Haaland. I can understand not signing him if We had a peak Rooney or Van Persie or Ibra. But We're relying on Martial and He has never even played a full season being our number 9. I like Martial but let's not repeat the same mistake over and over. Get him Ole.

Handré1990

That's probably where he'll end up unless we 100% go for him. Although I noticed his agent is Raiola so he probanly has some mega deal in sight in which he'll make his best to rinse us or any other top club.
His agent is Tore Pedersen. Raiola was asked to ‘consult’ on his move to RBS.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sherlock Holmes?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman

'Batman is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. The character was created by artist Bob Kaneand writer Bill Finger,[2][3] and first appeared in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. Originally named the "Bat-Man," the character is also referred to by such epithets as the Caped Crusader, the Dark Knight, and the World's Greatest Detective.[6]'
Hell nah, Batman is THE man :drool::keano:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Unless they move to the knockout stages of the CL, come January, he won't be in Austria anymore. Playing there is meaningless if you get the chance to be in England or Spain. He'll cost 60. He can't just 'go' to Leipzig. They can't just transfer his rights to a co-owned team. That's not legal. Either loan or pay the money.
The problem is what the player wants. Alf Inge Haaland has reportedly been to visit RB Leipzig. They chose development when he moved to RB Salzburg over Juventus, and they might be so inclined to do it again with Leipzig who can both offer regular first team football in the Bundesliga, and champions league football.

Keita chose the same development path before joining Liverpool. The clubs are very interlinked.

I dont know if it was the bundesliga or UEFA, but someone cracked down on the transfer policies and now they are indeed forced to either loan or pay a transfer fee for the player. Since Salzburg owns the player, and the player wants, they are free to move him to Leipzig for any reasonable term they see fit involving a loan spell or a transfer fee that is market value, or in this case, buyout clause. It's the only way Leipzig can contest with the big European clubs for players of this caliber.

I personally think that there is a certain degree of plausibility that Haaland will choose Leipzig as his next destination. It really comes down to playtime. Can we offer him regular first team minutes? I don't believe he is ready, or willing to go into an environment yet where he needs to challenge for excisting spots. We have a recent nightmare scenario from Norway in Alexander Sørloth who joined Crystal Palace and bombed hard, complete waste of everyones time.

OGS being the manager at MUFC is make or break for this deal to happen. He knows the manager well and know how he will be treated if he comes here. That personal link is the only way Haaland will join Manchester United. It might not be enough, or even the right time. But without Champions League football on a rebuilding team, that is the only factor that will tip us in favor or basically any other similar team. The notion that we can't have both him and Martial in the club is.. well, what? Do we want to buy a lesser, older and slower player in case Martial gets injured, so we have to play a worse player for x time? I'm fairly certain that the two can co-exist on the same team.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't get that either. He has got a minimal hype going right now and a transfer from his current club should be pretty cheap in this market. Would represent great value for money that's for sure because he has a lot of the attributes we're looking for in a DM, and he has much more physicality than someone like Garner. He is Fellaini size, and very clever on the ball, well rounded player. Quick for his size too. Don't think he'll reach world class levels honestly but I can absolutely see him have a highly functional role in a top team for years. For such a young player in his position his level of consistency and understanding of his role is really impressive.
As sure as anyone on the outside can be, I can't see Liverpool not attempting to buy him in January, or the summer window. Not with Klopp going out of his way to walk over to him and compliment him after their game v Genk, and then repeat that praise publicly afterwards.

That being said, if we were in for Sander Berge I'd be Hell Yes over that, crazy exciting midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think it'll depend on whether Haaland feels ready for the premier league or whether he wants a season or 2 in the Bundesliga to develop more.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
As sure as anyone on the outside can be, I can't see Liverpool not attempting to buy him in January, or the summer window. Not with Klopp going out of his way to walk over to him and compliment him after their game v Genk, and then repeat that praise publicly afterwards.

That being said, if we were in for Sander Berge I'd be Hell Yes over that, crazy exciting midfielder.
Yeah. Klopp did that? Wasn't aware but it makes sense for Liverpool to be interested. We should be in for him.

Mike Smalling

I also had no idea until just now :wenger:

From his Wikipedia page: "Håland was born in Leeds and supports Leeds United. In February 2017, in an interview with Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, Håland stated that "The dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds."

Do not want.

Adam-Utd

From his Wikipedia page: "Håland was born in Leeds and supports Leeds United. In February 2017, in an interview with Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, Håland stated that "The dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds."

Do not want.
It's not true, an urban myth as they say.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Think it'll depend on whether Haaland feels ready for the premier league or whether he wants a season or 2 in the Bundesliga to develop more.
Yup. The question is, can United afford 2 years of another mild attacking display.

Perhaps having no experienced goal poacher in mood of Ruud or RvP can also hurt the balance. We already pressuring younger players to hurry up a bit with their development.

Adam-Utd

Yup. The question is, can United afford 2 years of another mild attacking display.

Perhaps having no experienced goal poacher in mood of Ruud or RvP can also hurt the balance. We already pressuring younger players to hurry up a bit with their development.
Who else is there though? there's a bunch of average strikers, and a few old good players that aren't guaranteed to be any better.

I'd always choose the youth option instead of the over the hill type.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Do not want.
Ole supported Liverpool and Keane, Spurs. We signed alan Smith who bled Leeds.

Proves feck all

Do not want.
Some Supporters can’t seem to differentiate between themselves and someone who has a career. I suspect you are on the wind up, but many are not.

Alan Smith, a proven ardent Leeds fan played for us. Once you become a player, you are not a supporter, you are a professional. Carragher was an Everton supporter. Matt Busby played for Man City and Liverpool yet became a legendary Manager for some rival club...

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Who else is there though? there's a bunch of average strikers, and a few old good players that aren't guaranteed to be any better.

I'd always choose the youth option instead of the over the hill type.
If Haaland will take the pressure and keep scoring despite Premier League level, then we'll definitely know we have big arena striker. You're probably right, we'll just gonna have to sign him despite the risk because even Greenwood can't be our only option for sake of any squad depth.

Ironically Solskjaer is our most experienced striker on the training grounds so perhaps he'll fill the gap after RvP and Zlatan perfectly. The players seem to respect him even more than LvG and Mou.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah. Klopp did that? Wasn't aware but it makes sense for Liverpool to be interested. We should be in for him.
To be more precise about the actual events:

Genk midfielder Sander Berge has received a lot of compliments for his performances in this year's Champions League. After the Tuesday game which saw Liverpool defeat the Belgian side 2-1, Jurgen Klopp approached the midfielder and told him: "You are an interesting player, a very interesting player."

The German's praise left 21-year-old overjoyed:

"It was a great moment," he told VG (h/t B/R). "You have a big smile when you receive those sorts of compliments. It is wonderful when such a renowned manager as Jurgen Klopp comes over and says something like that."

Mike Smalling

Some Supporters can’t seem to differentiate between themselves and someone who has a career. I suspect you are on the wind up, but many are not.

Alan Smith, a proven ardent Leeds fan played for us. Once you become a player, you are not a supporter, you are a professional. Carragher was an Everton supporter. Matt Busby played for Man City and Liverpool yet became a legendary Manager for some rival club...
Of course. That stuff does not matter one bit. I have reservations about signing Håland for a huge amount at this point, but his childhood club is not part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.