Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

GledTheRed

And he can happily go there as well and I still wont give a feck.

United should bend over for nobody, specifically that cnut Raiola. He's playing in a shit league against shit defenders however had he come to the PL and on the off chance he makes it at United, we should give others the opportunity to force a move at a cut price while he makes an astronomical name for himself off of our brand? feck off.
I agree but i would have made an exception for a deal as outstanding as 17 million in this day and age.

passing-wind

Not exactly sure why the thread is blowing up. There's many variables at play as to why it didn't happen, Dortmund are more suitable for his development, Solskjaer wasn't enough of a pull to deter his decision, didn't want to have the experience of growing in such a pressured environment. All in all they point to him having no interest in coming here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Oh stop the frigging bleating. He wanted BD over us for his development, end of.

CM and a wide right player is what we need more than a CF. Get over it
I don't think so. I believe that we were first choice but we refused to meet all that clauses.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What a simple way of looking at it, it's like not chatin a girl up because your worried shell leave you before even approaching her. You never know she might like simple ugly looking blokes!
Simple way? A fixed £60m release clause leaves us vulnerable. Imagine if it's Bayern who take Haaland from Dortmund. Could happen. That will leave a sour taste in their mouths. Same for us. He could have come to us and done well and our rivals could have taken him away. Imagine Liverpool taking our best player off us for a fee lower than it should be hypothetically.

He's a great player potentially but that release clause and Raiola should not be overlooked.

I'm happy with Greenwood. Lad is special also. Let's get a special midfielder or three I say.

RedDevil@84

Horrible post which is totally made up.

1) United aren't mid table
2) United are the best club in England for youth development.
1. We play like one most of the time. Besides we were 8th 3 weeks back or so and very much capable of finishing in that position by end of season. So let's not kids ourselves that we are sure shot top 5.
2. Agreed. Good enough for English youngsters. Not good enough to attract foreign players.

Tragically Hip

A lot of posts refer to his agent's crazy demands. Can someone elaborate on what these were? Are they confirmed anywhere? I was really hoping to get this guy too btw. Partly because I'm 6'4, so I always cheer for the very tall players to succeed haha. I was always a staunch defender of Fellaini to my friends..

Machine Elements

2 good finishes and a tap in in a glorified Dutch League and the predictable massive overreaction on Internet. I even saw a comparison with Messi at 19. That's the way with modern day football and it's fans I suppose. Every single thing must be expressed with some certain level of hyperbole.

Not too bothered about missing out on him (if we ever really in for him of course?). Actually, I'm delighted we didn't sign him as we have Greenwood as the young ST talent in the team who I believe has much more to his game & higher ceiling than Haaland. We can't sign every young talent in the world; it's not FM. We don't need another young striker when we have more pressing concerns all over the pitch.

Kostur

海尔的老板
2 good finishes and a tap in in a glorified Dutch League and the predictable massive overreaction on Internet. I even saw a comparison with Messi at 19. That's the way with modern day football and it's fans I suppose. Every single thing must be expressed with some certain level of hyperbole.

Not too bothered about missing out on him (if we ever really in for him of course?). Actually, I'm delighted we didn't sign him as we have Greenwood as the young ST talent in the team who I believe has much more to his game & higher ceiling than Haaland. We can't sign every young talent in the world; it's not FM. We don't need another young striker when we have more pressing concerns all over the pitch.
Glad you practise what you preach.

Machine Elements

Glad you practise what you preach.
I never rated Bundesliga as a top league as the defending has been comical for years in that league with the focus on goal scoring mainly a bit like Dutch League with high scoring games. That's why I said "glorified Dutch League". Also, some of the best players from Bundesliga have failed to make an impact in other leagues. Mhkitaryan was scoring & assisting for fun in Bundesliga (also won the best player in the league award i think) and couldn't make it in the PL. Same with Kagawa etc.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never rated Bundesliga as a top league as the defending has been comical for years in that league with the focus on goal scoring mainly a bit like Dutch League with high scoring games. That's why I said "glorified Dutch League". Also, some of the best players from Bundesliga have failed to make an impact in other leagues. Mhkitaryan was scoring & assisting for fun in Bundesliga (also won the best player in the league award i think) and couldn't make it in the PL. Same with Kagawa etc.
I agree with you and this is why I think that Sancho will get toned down in hype a little if he ever comes back to the PL again too.

Though I never talk about this openly on this forum because I would get gunned down. I don't think the lad would fail - but neither do I think he is going to be this outstanding talent who kills the PL like he kills the Bundesliga either.

I watch the way he plays, the way he dribbles & the way the bundesliga defenders usually give him the acres of space that alot of Leagues don't have atleast in the upper end of the Leagues & I'm more conscious about going overbourd with hype.

Again same with Haaland - I'm sure he would do fine in some of the other Leagues but toned down in hype a little.

What? He’s been extremely highly rated since he was at Molde.
Being a Molde fan, whose been following him closely since 16, I think I know what I'm talking about. We all had high expectations, but nobody thought he would reach this level, this fast. Big talent, but signing him as a Lukaku replacement this summer, as the poster said. Nah. Nobody saw him reaching this crazy level so soon. Besides, he had only just joined RBS, so it was bad timing this summer. Should have signed summer 2018 from Molde, though, when he aged 17 scored 4 in 20 minutes against Brann- in front of Utd scouts. But Utd never made a bid.

Kostur

海尔的老板
For every Miki and Kagawa or other flops that fecked it up at our club you've got yourself a KDB, Aubameyang or Sane. Hell even Matip is doing fine even though he moved from a league you consider comical defending wise.

Being a Molde fan, whose been following him closely since 16, I think I know what I'm talking about. We all had high expectations, but nobody thought he would reach this level, this fast. Big talent, but signing him as a Lukaku replacement this summer, as the poster said. Nah. Nobody saw him reaching this crazy level so soon. Besides, he had only just joined RBS, so it was bad timing this summer. Should have signed summer 2018 from Molde, though, when he aged 17 scored 4 in 20 minutes against Brann- in front of Utd scouts. But Utd never made a bid.
No, I didn't claim we should sign him as a Lukaku replacement. I said, if Ole knew the kid and how talented he was, why on Earth did we wait for half of Europe to take notice rather than simply do a Daniel James with him last Summer?

fergiesarmy1

No, I didn't claim we should sign him as a Lukaku replacement. I said, if Ole knew the kid and how talented he was, why on Earth did we wait for half of Europe to take notice rather than simply do a Daniel James with him last Summer?
He had only been at Salzburg following a £5 million transfer 6 months, very rare that a club would buy someone in January then sell him in the summer so maybe everyone thought he wasn’t available that soon?

Nick7

Ah so soon. I get you now. I thought he’d reach this eventually but you’re right. Didn’t expect it yet.

Oh, sorry. Misinterpreted you there. The answer is he had just joined RBS. Either Haaland or RBS would have been interested in a move at that time. And Solskjær, nor anyone else, could have predicted that young Haaland would become a world star in the coming months, so waiting to see how a coped with a better league than the Norwegian made sense.

When he left Molde he was still very raw. Had the power and pace, but poor first touch, struggled technically, and his finishing was no where near the level he is showing now. His talent really exploded those first six months on the training ground (cause he didnt play) in RBS.

So if we are to blame anyone, blame Mourinho. We scouted him thoroughly in 2018, and Haaland was available, and would most likely been keen on joining us back than. For hardly any money at all. But we never made a bid.

Last edited:
He had only been at Salzburg following a £5 million transfer 6 months, very rare that a club would buy someone in January then sell him in the summer so maybe everyone thought he wasn’t available that soon?
He had a release clause as you well know, so nothing they could have done about it, just as they couldn't stop Dortmund taking him for peanuts.

So if we are to blame anyone, blame Mourinho. We scouted him thoroughly in 2018, and Haaland was available, and would most likely been keen on joining us back than. For hardly any money at all. But we never made a bid.
Why would I blame Mourinho for not signing him when our current manager has actually managed the guy and decided not to sign him in the Summer?

With a release clause that low, you'd have hoped Ole would have Daniel James'd the shit out of that in the Summer, even loaning him straight back if that's what the lad wanted. Instead we waited, and then bizarrely tried to fly in after the lad had already made up his mind to move to Dortmund.

Why would I blame Mourinho for not signing him when our current manager has actually managed the guy and decided not to sign him in the Summer?
Because Mourinho was the manager when Haaland was available for pennies, and Utd kept sending scouts to Molde, but chose not to make a bid. Solskjær did what he could this window. A move summer 2019 was never going to happen.

Red Stone

*Haaland lights it up at Salzburg*

Caf: "We absolutely need to sign this kid! He's the next big thing, plus we need a big, tall guy up front. Plus, there's the Ole connection, so if we want him we can get him!"

*Haaland joins Dortmund*

Caf: "Signing Haaland would have been madness! Madness, I tell you!!! We already have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood!"

*Haaland scores a hat-trick on his debut*

Caf: "Literally a sackable offense by Ole."

mu4c_20le

With a release clause that low, you'd have hoped Ole would have Daniel James'd the shit out of that in the Summer, even loaning him straight back if that's what the lad wanted. Instead we waited, and then bizarrely tried to fly in after the lad had already made up his mind to move to Dortmund.
Don't forget his dad and Raiola run the show. They micromanage his career and I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to talk until the summer where they could hold a bidding war for him, then choose from the best suitor.

Dante

Average bang
*Haaland lights it up at Salzburg*

Caf: "We absolutely need to sign this kid! He's the next big thing, plus we need a big, tall guy up front. Plus, there's the Ole connection, so if we want him we can get him!"

*Haaland joins Dortmund*

Caf: "Signing Haaland would have been madness! Madness, I tell you!!! We already have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood!"

*Haaland scores a hat-trick on his debut*

Caf: "Literally a sackable offense by Ole."
You're on the Caf. Did you have all three opinions?

Dante

Average bang
Of course. Aren't we all fickle bastards here?
You obviously are if you changed your mind 3 times about Haaland in the space of a month.

But this is a large community with a variety of views. Most of us aren't as bad you.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
For every Miki and Kagawa or other flops that fecked it up at our club you've got yourself a KDB, Aubameyang or Sane. Hell even Matip is doing fine even though he moved from a league you consider comical defending wise.
All attacking players and all of them would have outrageous numbers if they were back in Germany. That doesn't detract from their quality now, but they're not defensively minded which goes back to the original argument that defending in the bundesliga is shite and that any strikers numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt.

feck me, even Hunteleer, Mame Diouf and Mario fecking Gomes (who had two 40 goal seasons) had ridiculous numbers.

Im still waiting for the likes of Lewa to rip open the latter part of the CL where he's not playing teams from bum feck nowhere because much like Ibrah, he's failed to deliver massively in that regard.

In Rainbows

I agree with you and this is why I think that Sancho will get toned down in hype a little if he ever comes back to the PL again too.

Though I never talk about this openly on this forum because I would get gunned down. I don't think the lad would fail - but neither do I think he is going to be this outstanding talent who kills the PL like he kills the Bundesliga either.

I watch the way he plays, the way he dribbles & the way the bundesliga defenders usually give him the acres of space that alot of Leagues don't have atleast in the upper end of the Leagues & I'm more conscious about going overbourd with hype.

Again same with Haaland - I'm sure he would do fine in some of the other Leagues but toned down in hype a little.
You're welcomed to your opinion.

I disagree because Sancho is only 19 years old

1. Kagawa
a. 17 goals 14 assists as a 22 year old ~~2 dribbles per game ~~3300 minutes
b. 12 goals 2 assists as a 21 year old ~~1.3 dribbles per game~~2100 minutes
2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes
b. 5 goals 7 assists as a 25/26 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~3100 minutes
c. 13 goals 10 assists as a 24/25 year old ~~3 dribbles per game~~3700 minutes
3. Gotze
a. 7 goals 8 assists as a 19 year old ~~3.5 dribbles per game ~~1700 minutes
b. 8 goals 16 assists as an 18 year old ~~2.5 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Sancho
a. 13 goals 14 assists as a 19 year old (mid season) ~~3 dribbles per game~~1800 minutes
b. 13 goals 19 assists as an 18 year old ~~3.3 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Based on age, rate (per game), dribbling, and end product I would argue that Sancho is #1.

Although all were technicians, I would argue that Sancho is the better dribbling talent due to his more technical feet. I would argue he's more like Neymar than the other 3 players who were all more like the standard #10. Great ability for the ball to stick to them, but without the trickery of Neymar or Sancho.

We paid €17m for an older lad from the Championship
The Championship is at a much, much higher level then the Norwegian league- and the norwegian league was the only league Haaland had played in summer 2019 (expect 88 minutes for RBS). It would be crazy to pay 20 mill for a kid, who at the time had not even broken into an Austrian team.

Lots of hindsight going on now..

Last edited:

fergiesarmy1

He had a release clause as you well know, so nothing they could have done about it, just as they couldn't stop Dortmund taking him for peanuts.
I’m aware of the release clause, not sure if it was active in the first six months though. Would be a strange clause by the buying club to allow and given he left exactly 12 months later I think it probably was active after one year,.

RyRy11

You're welcomed to your opinion.

I disagree because Sancho is only 19 years old

1. Kagawa
a. 17 goals 14 assists as a 22 year old ~~2 dribbles per game ~~3300 minutes
b. 12 goals 2 assists as a 21 year old ~~1.3 dribbles per game~~2100 minutes
2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes
b. 5 goals 7 assists as a 25/26 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~3100 minutes
c. 13 goals 10 assists as a 24/25 year old ~~3 dribbles per game~~3700 minutes
3. Gotze
a. 7 goals 8 assists as a 19 year old ~~3.5 dribbles per game ~~1700 minutes
b. 8 goals 16 assists as an 18 year old ~~2.5 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Sancho
a. 13 goals 14 assists as a 19 year old (mid season) ~~3 dribbles per game~~1800 minutes
b. 13 goals 19 assists as an 18 year old ~~3.3 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Based on age, rate (per game), dribbling, and end product I would argue that Sancho is #1.

Although all were technicians, I would argue that Sancho is the better dribbling talent due to his more technical feet. I would argue he's more like Neymar than the other 3 players who were all more like the standard #10. Great ability for the ball to stick to them, but without the trickery of Neymar or Sancho.
So looking at those stats Sancho is about as good as Micki before we bought him?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Absolutely. It’s just a little odd that we so last minute decided ”this lad is good, but he’s already decided to go Dortmund, quick on plane to try and get him”.

Surely if Ole knew he was that good we should have wrapped this up in the Summer with no competition once Lukaku left.
The bolded didn't happen. You made that up.

The Championship is at a much, much higher level then the Norwegian league- and the norwegian league was the only league Haaland had played in summer 2019 (expect 88 minutes for RBS). It would be crazy to pay 20 mill for a kid, who at the time had not even broken into an Austrian team.

Lots of hindsight going on now..
Hindsight? I didn’t manage the guy ffs.

I have no hindsight, but I’m certain Ole must be kicking himself.

And how much were we prepared to pay for Martial or Bayern for CHO after a mere handfull of games?
My only guess is that Ole didn’t rate him that highly.