Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's got fantastic in box movement and great finishing - but outside of that he's pretty average. Was completely out of the game until Hakimi put it on a plate for him.

Not that he needs much more than that really, if he keeps scoring like he does nobody will care if he can't be creative himself. It's fair to say though without service he wouldn't look half as good as he does now.

No wonder he wanted BVB instead of United at present.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's got fantastic in box movement and great finishing - but outside of that he's pretty average. Was completely out of the game until Hakimi put it on a plate for him.

Not that he needs much more than that really, if he keeps scoring like he does nobody will care if he can't be creative himself. It's fair to say though without service he wouldn't look half as good as he does now.

Those are just the most important attributes of a goal scoring striker. The rest can be worked with training, but finishing and movement on tight spaces are inteligence based decisions, can't train them as much as you think.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah you’re right. A club that’s in the top 3 in the world should be putting buyout clauses in players contracts so they can league for bigger clubs after a couple of seasons...
If I were you the question I'd be asking would be how the hell my club ended up in a situation in which a 19 year old striker is not only the best target it could realistically sign but also occupies such a comfortable bargaining position in comparison to us that he can insist on a buyout clause and has no problem telling us to feck off if we don't yield.

Haaland saw you as a stepping stone, true. But instead of asking yourself how that came to be, you are offended that he treated a "top 3 club in the world" that way.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Those are just the most important attributes of a goal scoring striker. The rest can be worked with training, but finishing and movement on tight spaces are inteligence based decisions, can't train them as much as you think.
Cristiano somehow did.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Think that's only partly true. Yes, his link up play was atrocious yesterday but he's also shown some pretty impressive stuff in other games. I think the issue is that this part of his game is still inconsistent. Even against Frankfurt he had one or two situations in which he showed great ball control and even a croqueta. I've also seen some great one twos from him. If you watch a compilation of him for RB, you'll also see some stuff you wouldn't expect from him. He's obviously no Berbatov or Lewandowski but if he becomes consistent he'll be pretty decent with the ball at his feet.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah you’re right. A club that’s in the top 3 in the world should be putting buyout clauses in players contracts so they can league for bigger clubs after a couple of seasons...
:lol: top 3 club in the world that finished outside of the top 3 in their own league in 5 of the last 6 seasons, soon to be 6 of the last 7.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: top 3 club in the world that finished outside of the top 3 in their own league in 5 of the last 6 seasons, soon to be 6 of the last 7.
I don’t tell people what to think mate. United are still regarded as a footballing behemoth, all the reports continue to say that. Still bigger than most out there and sit at the table along with Madrid and Barcelona. If the Premier League was less competitive, like other leagues, we wouldn’t even be in this state to begin with.

crossy1686

career ending
If I were you the question I'd be asking would be how the hell my club ended up in a situation in which a 19 year old striker is not only the best target it could realistically sign but also occupies such a comfortable bargaining position in comparison to us that he can insist on a buyout clause and has no problem telling us to feck off if we don't yield.

Haaland saw you as a stepping stone, true. But instead of asking yourself how that came to be, you are offended that he treated a "top 3 club in the world" that way.
Well that’s pretty clear, United weren’t willing to be a stepping stone, Dortmund were. He probably has his own personal reasons as well but whatever, it doesn’t really matter to be honest. The way people are acting like Dortmund have landed the next Messi is nauseating to be honest. He wouldn’t be anywhere near as prolific in the Premier League for a start and before Dortmund actually win anything he’ll be off to a bigger club.
United have missed out on better players before now mate, it’s not the end of the world, no ones losing sleep over it.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
What happened to the goals per minute tally from the previous title which was used as a symbol for
'look at what we missed out on/mufc are shit/I was right all along' ? I was wondering how long that would last.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What happened to the goals per minute tally from the previous title which was used as a symbol for
'look at what we missed out on/mufc are shit/I was right all along' ? I was wondering how long that would last.
He has 8 league goals in 304 minutes this year. United have 4 league goals in 450 minutes this year. Not sure what your point is.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He has 8 league goals in 304 minutes this year. United have 4 league goals in 450 minutes this year. Not sure what your point is.
It's a fine record. I just found it humorous when the title was updated every time he scored a goal, it screamed 'I told you so'.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don’t tell people what to think mate. United are still regarded as a footballing behemoth, all the reports continue to say that. Still bigger than most out there and sit at the table along with Madrid and Barcelona. If the Premier League was less competitive, like other leagues, we wouldn’t even be in this state to begin with.
All the reports? What? Financial reports? Sure, it's a massive money-making machine for the Glazers, and that's exactly how they're treating it. Then you have fans who fall back on that because there's nothing else to brag about at this point. If you want to think you're sitting at the table with Barcelona and Real Madrid, then we're just living in different worlds.

So yeah, to answer your earlier reply to my original post, maybe it would benefit you to take a striker that's one of the highest rated in recent time, even if it's just for a few years and maybe he moves on if you're not confident you can keep him around. You still get 2-3 years of a top level striker and it, hopefully, puts you in a better position in the league which will make the club a more attractive destination. This ego is not going to work favorably in United's current predicament, but I suspect it had nothing to do with the buyout clause and Haaland just preferred going to Dortmund anyways so they spun the story but regardless, it's all a moot point now.

Right now, while United are one of the richest club, they are far from the most attractive option for top level talent, and that won't change without the CL or consistent performances. To turn up your nose at Haaland for asking for a buyout clause because 'this is United' is really living in the past and only hurting the club more.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's a fine record. I just found it humorous when the title was updated every time he scored a goal, it screamed 'I told you so'.

He's a fine player but I can't stand the people riding his d*ck as a way of putting our club down like any one of us had any influence in this.

Then you watch the bloody bundesliga games and literally every single one is letting in 4 goals atleast per game shared between two teams, you look at the constant 4 attackers vs 2 defenders alongside the high line & people still rub our faces in about how "we told you so", "how this guy is generational & how his movement is amazing" only to go an watch again how damn average the league and the goal is whilst the fans act like he is influencing the game scoring to break down the deadlock :lol: - more like he is adding goals to a tally when the team is running riot in a league that doesn't have a clue how to defend. When a team can defend suddenly Haaland can barely lift his weaker right foot.

I want him to be our striker but people act like he has no weaknesses & use him as a magnification of our weaknesses.

jackal&hyde

A club's standing is more then the league position over a relative short period of time. Liverpool has not won a league for ages, they are still the second biggest club in England. Sort yourself out.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A club's standing is more then the league position over a relative short period of time. Liverpool has not won a league for ages, they are still the second biggest club in England. Sort yourself out.
Yes, it's also direction, current squad, prestige, staff, so many things where it's also not looking bright for United at the moment.

crossy1686

career ending
All the reports? What? Financial reports? Sure, it's a massive money-making machine for the Glazers, and that's exactly how they're treating it. Then you have fans who fall back on that because there's nothing else to brag about at this point. If you want to think you're sitting at the table with Barcelona and Real Madrid, then we're just living in different worlds.

So yeah, to answer your earlier reply to my original post, maybe it would benefit you to take a striker that's one of the highest rated in recent time, even if it's just for a few years and maybe he moves on if you're not confident you can keep him around. You still get 2-3 years of a top level striker and it, hopefully, puts you in a better position in the league which will make the club a more attractive destination. This ego is not going to work favorably in United's current predicament, but I suspect it had nothing to do with the buyout clause and Haaland just preferred going to Dortmund anyways so they spun the story but regardless, it's all a moot point now.

Right now, while United are one of the richest club, they are far from the most attractive option for top level talent, and that won't change without the CL or consistent performances. To turn up your nose at Haaland for asking for a buyout clause because 'this is United' is really living in the past and really only hurting the club more.
You do realise that United are worth nothing unless people think they’re worth something right? That’s how economy works.

United wouldn’t be the third richest club in the world if they wasn’t one of the most supported clubs in the world. Sheff United are above United currently but they’re not the 2nd richest club in the world are they? It doesn’t work like you want it to unfortunately.

Why would United ever be interested in buying a young, up and coming player and developing him for the likes of Madrid or Barcelona? That’s what Dortmund are doing. And as I said, he’ll be leaving before Dortmund actually win anything anyway, and why would better players want to join Dortmund knowing that Haaland will be gone at the first offer from one of the big boys?

“Yeah lads, come and sign for us. We’re about to lose Sancho, possibly to United, and Haaland‘s off the first chance he gets to a bigger team. Oh yeah, and Bayern take all our best German players on free transfers also, but we get them back when they’ve finished winning trophies though”

United obviously aspire to be this much of a stepping stone...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Liverpool were not seen as the 2nd biggest club in England by the folks that mattered, the players and their agents, hence why they struggled to recruit the players necessary to win the league for decades.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You do realise that United are worth nothing unless people think they’re worth something right? That’s how economy works.

United wouldn’t be the third richest club in the world if they wasn’t one of the most supported clubs in the world. Sheff United are above United currently but they’re not the 2nd richest club in the world are they? It doesn’t work like you want it to unfortunately.

Why would United ever be interested in buying a young, up and coming player and developing him for the likes of Madrid or Barcelona? That’s what Dortmund are doing. And as I said, he’ll be leaving before Dortmund actually win anything anyway, and why would better players want to join Dortmund knowing that Haaland will be gone at the first offer from one of the big boys?

“Yeah lads, come and sign for us. We’re about to lose Sancho, possibly to United, and Haaland‘s off the first chance he gets to a bigger team. Oh yeah, and Bayern take all our best German players on free transfers also, but we get them back when they’ve finished winning trophies though”

I mean not wanting to set a precedent on release clauses is a valid concern, but the way you argue sounds a bit hysterical. I don't think many players think too far ahead. Dortmund seem to have their striker position sorted for at least 2.5 years now, that's a positive for them and I doubt it will deter any player that would have otherwise joined the club. Every player around the age of 30 has basically a similar expiration date on top performances, even for the richest clubs the squad is always changing to some degree. You look at what the club offers right now, what kind of money they have and how well you expect them to spend it.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's 2020, we haven't sat with them at the table for good couple of years, don't be silly.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Here's the problem, your very first sentence is kind of my point. People don't think United are worth what they used to be. Ticket sales for tourists have gone down, jersey sales have gone down, exposure to the general public has gone down, right now there's a generation growing up where United is a club that doesn't win and is mocked all the time in the media. There are so many factors that league position will affect a club, not over a season or two, but over a decade? Absolutely. You're not at a decade of mediocrity yet, but you're headed in that direction so far. There's still time to change tracks, but you're seriously underestimating the impact United's performances is going to have over the next decade if they don't turn it around. Just because you don't see it yet it doesn't mean the wave is not forming to crash down on the club.

As far as your point on not going for a player because you'd just be 'developing him for the likes of Madrid or Barcelona', that's also a small club mentality, regardless of whether you scoff at buyout clauses or not. You're afraid to lose him, but even if you do, so what? No prospect is looking at the United/Haaland saga and thinking, 'wow, United didn't bow down to his release clause, I'm so impressed by their big club mentality I'm going to join them and be locked in with this mess'. This isn't specific to Haaland because I, like many others here, think he'd struggle at United compared to Dortmund, but with any great prospects, what is the harm in trying? Because you'll look silly in a few years when you lose him? Is it really worse than having your striker position sorted for a bargain price in today's age, allowing you to focus on other areas? I'd rather that than losing out on him to Dortmund and having people use him as some stick to beat United over the head with, which is beyond childish, by the way, and part of this huge chunk of the media who seems to delight at taking any shot they can towards United.

Worst case, you get a player you need for a few years, you make money off the player's likeness during that time, you have one less area to focus on, and you make a profit if he goes, because maybe you manage to turn it around during that player's time, maybe you develop a winning culture, maybe United goes back to being a true top 3 club, and being part of reviving a sleeping giant is more enticing and prestigious rather than join Barcelona or Real Madrid like every one else seems to dream about. There's only so many spots to play for either team, not every one is going to be able to leave United to go there. Crazier things have happened.

Your point?
Pretty self-explanatory, you're not a top 3 club right now.

crossy1686

career ending
I mean not wanting to set a precedent on release clauses is a valid concern, but the way you argue sounds a bit hysterical. I don't think many players think too far ahead. Dortmund seem to have their striker position sorted for at least 2.5 years now, that's a positive for them and I doubt it will deter any player that would have otherwise joined the club. Every player around the age of 30 has basically a similar expiration date on top performances, even for the richest clubs the squad is always changing to some degree. You look at what the club offers right now, what kind of money they have and how well you expect them to spend it.
The average first team playing career is 8-10 years, I’m sure players, and especially players who insist on a release clause, are thinking about their careers past the next couple of years. Any one with an ounce of ambition wants to win trophies and compete, no one joins the likes of Everton or Newcastle because they think they’ll win something, they do it to play somewhere they’ll get noticed and snapped up by a bigger club.

Haaland has done the right thing by choosing Dortmund if his ambitions are to play at one of Europe’s elite in a couple of seasons but United were never going to sign him under the same circumstance.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
United have missed out on better players before now mate, it’s not the end of the world, no ones losing sleep over it.
I have been reading such comments since somewhere around 2009. They were initially used to poke ridicule at those unhappy that Ronaldo and Tevez were replaced by Valencia, Obertan and Owen.

What I am trying to say is that the club has been going downhill for a long while and that I am not sure that an appeal to the ways of old holds any meaning.

There has been a ridiculous number of instances that United failed to land a top player over the last decade, which is a part of the reason for their current predicament

crossy1686

career ending
It's 2020, we haven't sat with them at the table for good couple of years, don't be silly.
Said it before, I don’t decide how well supported United are, nor do I decide how much revenue we bring in.

We are considered a footballing behemoth alongside the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, despite being less successful than most major European clubs and currently being quite shit. For some reason United fans think we’ve Yovil Town all of a sudden...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Said it before, I don’t decide how well supported United are, nor do I decide how much revenue we bring in.

We are considered a footballing behemoth alongside the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, despite being less successful than most major European clubs and currently being quite shit. For some reason United fans think we’ve Yovil Town all of a sudden...
Nope, there's just no need to go into extremes here. Our revenue is one thing, there, we can be a behemoth, as a corporation, sure. Footballing wise, we just aren't anywhere near Real or Barca at the moment, we're at least a tier below.

Plus hey, I presume that if we went through Barca/Real's books to see how much they really pay their players, akin to how City managed to cook theirs, we'd find out that we're even far apart from them money wise than we think.

jackal&hyde

Liverpool were not seen as the 2nd biggest club in England by the folks that mattered, the players and their agents, hence why they struggled to recruit the players necessary to win the league for decades.
Pure nonsense. Liverpool have gotten some world class talent like some of the best strikers in world football in Torres and Suarez on the top of my head. Did they not matter? Sort yourself out.

Devil81

He's a finisher of the highest order, I hope we go back again in the coming years.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Pure nonsense. Liverpool have gotten some world class talent like some of the best strikers in world football in Torres and Suarez on the top of my head. Did they not matter? Sort yourself out.
They weren't considered world class when they joined them. Suarez cost less than Andy Carroll.

They were rated similarly to what Haland is now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Much more proven actually. More like Sancho then Haaland.
That's BS. Suarez was never thought of as a guaranteed world class talent like Sancho is being considered now. He was talented but not nearly thought to reach the heights he has gone to. Their decline through the 90's was reflected in their signings such as when we were signing Veron, one of the world's most highly regarded midfielders, they were signing Gary McAllister.

Even now with Liverpool at the top of Europe, the base of this success has come not from signing generational talents who wanted to flood themselves to Liverpool, but rather from young players of whom none were considered to be the best youngsters in the world. Firmino had multiple years playing for a midtable club in Germany, Salah was considered a failed talent after his spell at Chelsea, Mane was considered a risk by people here and not a world class talent, Robertson the same.

So, yes, years of mediocrity will have a impact on us eventually and our history will only keep us relevant to the top players up until a certain point in time.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Much more proven actually. More like Sancho then Haaland.
My view of how much Haaland is proven is somewhat distorted by me following Austrian football but yes, I can agree with you. More Sancho than Haland.

To the poster above: I don't think Sancho is considered a guaranteed WC talent. Is there even such a thing? Until a player actually becomes WC.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Not any more.. Just like Milan. They used to be huge. Not any more.

crossy1686

career ending
Not any more.. Just like Milan. They used to be huge. Not any more.
Milan are still a huge draw to many players but they’re suffering from a poor, non-competitive league (in recent years) and having to comply with FFP. We don’t have those issues and being in the wilderness for 30 years hasn’t done Liverpool any harm.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Milan are still a huge draw to many players but they’re suffering from a poor, non-competitive league (in recent years) and having to comply with FFP. We don’t have those issues and being in the wilderness for 30 years hasn’t done Liverpool any harm.
Football is a short lived business. Milan can't attract the best players anymore, just like you, and it has nothing to do with the league. Doesn't mean you can't get back to the top in people's perceptions very quickly, like Liverpool and partly Inter this season proved. But right now? I think there are at least seven clubs in the world a player would prefer to you as his ultimate career station (Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool, City, Juventus, PSG). If one of those clubs really wants a player and has a free position for him, not a chance ypu'd beat them to his sigming. And as a young, developing player, there are also like a dozen clubs with better reputation than you - like Haaland just proved.

Another thing is, for most clubs out there you can identify a strategy. You know the perspective. Exemplarily Madrid, which has a world class talent in almost every position. But United.. there doesn't seem to be an overarching idea except from spending fortunes for overhyped players at the worst possible moments.

crossy1686

career ending
Football is a short lived business. Milan can't attract the best players anymore, just like you, and it has nothing to do with the league. Doesn't mean you can't get back to the top in people's perceptions very quickly, like Liverpool and partly Inter this season proved. But right now? I think there are at least seven clubs in the world a player would prefer to you as his ultimate career station (Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool, City, Juventus, PSG). If one of those clubs really wants a player and has a free position for him, not a chance ypu'd beat them to his sigming. And as a young, developing player, there are also like a dozen clubs with better reputation than you - like Haaland just proved.

Another thing is, for most clubs out there you can identify a strategy. You know the perspective. Exemplarily Madrid, which has a world class talent in almost every position. But United.. there doesn't seem to be an overarching idea except from spending fortunes for overhyped players at the worst possible moments.
United have never been able or in the market for the nest players either, it’s only in recent years we’ve tried to emulate Madrid’s model and failed miserably.
It’s only this season have we reverted back to developing our own players and exciting young talent found around Europe, which suits us more.
We have the spending power to compete with the likes of PSG but I’d be surprised if we bothered to moving forward. If Haaland wants to go to PSG after Dortmund then good luck to him, he’ll win a load of French titles but in all honesty I think we can all agree they don’t mean much.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If the Premier League was less competitive, like other leagues, we wouldn’t even be in this state to begin with.
You do realize that it is the least competitive ‘big‘ league this season, right?