Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sancho and Mbappe handle it just fine and they both have had a lot of attention as teens, Erling's just going the Ibrahimovic route. It can have its charm, but when he turns to the press officer in front of a journalist to say he's being asked stupid question, it's not about immaturity and it's not charming, it's just being an asshole. He'll figure out the right balance soon enough, I don't think he's a bad guy and those questions can be boring but he's better off having the press on his side and finding the right balance so he can keep being cheeky without going too far into twatish territory.

He could become the Gregg Popovich of football interviews.
I don't think it's immature. Journalists should do their fecking job and ask relevant, interesting and insightful questions. If they aren't able to entertain me with their superficial soap opera questions, I'm fine with Haaland doing it by taking the piss. Wish some older players would do the same.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Its impossible to fully judge a young character without spending some time with them so I will give Haaland some slack but he wasn’t exactly a charming young man with attitude in these interviews, more of a d*ckhead.

I don’t recommend him to take the same approach as Zlatan, if this was his intention. Only works if you’re born with natural charm and larger then life persona. Erling isn’t anywhere near that level yet. His talent is undeniable but he needs to work a little bit on his PR and his interviews technique.
Indeed, Ibrahimovic is quite charismatic so it works in his favour.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I'm not going to pretend to know peoples personalities; there does seem a particular character in players who pick Raiola as their agent isnt there? Not every player is self indulgent or a d*ck but if you had to describe Raiola's personality and say if it resonates with some of his clients then I'd say it probably does. I can see why teams dismiss his players.

Pogba, Haaland, Balotelli, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Lukaku and Lingard the social media man. You might be able to pick a few others. It's like they dont mind saying wrong things, being the centre of attention or being a celebrity.

Silas

I don't think it's immature. Journalists should do their fecking job and ask relevant, interesting and insightful questions. If they aren't able to entertain me with their superficial soap opera questions, I'm fine with Haaland doing it by taking the piss. Wish some older players would do the same.
Yeah, don't really get the fuss. How's he supposed to respond to "What's your secret?" 5 eggs in the morning? PEDs?

RoyH1

I just hate the rehearsed politically correct answers. I like to see athletes that have a mind of their own and refuse to be the template that people want them to be.
The problem of stepping outside of the template is that the press will eat you alive. It takes experience or a very thick skin to be able to stand on your own terms with the modern press.

Jaxa

Kid's an absolute superstar, theres a lot of overhyping some young players these days and then theres the actual few who are truly are world class and future Ballon D'or winners, he's going straight to the top,

I would say really only Mbappe at this point is ahead of him in terms of best around,

I really hope he chooses to come to the premier league next however you just know Madrid will be salivating at the chances of him playing up front for them, just in time to replace Benzema.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kid's an absolute superstar, theres a lot of overhyping some young players these days and then theres the actual few who are truly are world class and future Ballon D'or winners, he's going straight to the top,

I would say really only Mbappe at this point is ahead of him in terms of best around,

I really hope he chooses to come to the premier league next however you just know Madrid will be salivating at the chances of him playing up front for them, just in time to replace Benzema.
I mean him becoming an elite striker (if he isn't already) seems all but certain, but his technique might let him down with regards to the very very top.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He scores goals. He's efficient. He's a young, very talented striker and that's all matters.

Why should We criticize him based on his post match interviews? even if He came across as a bit disrespectful, it's got nothing to do with his club, the opponents or his supporters. He's disrespecting those who are always out there waiting and hunting for players' and managers' mistakes before stabbing them. The press are only happy and giggly when you are on top, if you are down, They kick you.

chomsky89

A teenager averaging a goal every 53.minute on the field for Dortmund so far. Not even a penalty taker either.
That sounds like a terrible movie and not reality.

GledTheRed

Second best young player in the world?

Rashfords better fot a start.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Eh, that's very debatable. I personally would prefer to have Haaland and Sancho ahead of Rashford to start. Of course Mbappe would be my first pick, but Rashford would probably be fourth.

Jaxa

I mean him becoming an elite striker (if he isn't already) seems all but certain, but his technique might let him down with regards to the very very top.
His technique !? I mean his current technique doesn't seem to be all that bad, the kid is scoring almost every single game right now !

Jaxa

I think you're viewing that a little bit from your red tinted spectacles pal, look I am a massive Rashford fan and i think the kid can go straight to the top, however he's not as consistent yet as those two, i feel another season or so though and he will be one of the best in the world.

Bebestation

He has great movement but the Bundesliga is honestly an attackers dream. The space between attackers and defenders are so so high I find it incredibly uncompetitive.

From the Sancho's to the Haalands - il just hold back my thoughts that they are guaranteed to reach the top until they face defenders that are actually in front of them alot of the game or at the toughest games - when it matters.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto

I like Rashford but he's 22 while Haaland is 19. Greenwood would be a more fair comparison.

Nevertheless i believe Haaland is a generational talent. He's faster and more powerful than defenders and seems to have nerves of steel.

GledTheRed

Eh, that's very debatable. I personally would prefer to have Haaland and Sancho ahead of Rashford to start. Of course Mbappe would be my first pick, but Rashford would probably be fourth.
Jesus seriously?

Neither have proved it in the superior PL or International level, bonkers post.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He has great movement but the Bundesliga is honestly an attackers dream. The space between attackers and defenders are so so high I find it incredibly uncompetitive.

From the Sancho's to the Haalands - il just hold back my thoughts that they are guaranteed to reach the top until they face defenders that are actually in front of them alot of the game or at the toughest games - when it matters.
Isn't Haaland the second top scorer in Champions league

GledTheRed

I like Rashford but he's 22 while Haaland is 19. Greenwood would be a more fair comparison.

Nevertheless i believe Haaland is a generational talent. He's faster and more powerful than defenders and seems to have nerves of steel.
He dropped Mbappe into the convo who's 21 so the comparison was fair.

GledTheRed

I think you're viewing that a little bit from your red tinted spectacles pal, look I am a massive Rashford fan and i think the kid can go straight to the top, however he's not as consistent yet as those two, i feel another season or so though and he will be one of the best in the world.
Rashford was fantastic this season prior to his injury it's not red tinted at all.

Well, he also scored against every team he met in CL. Napoli, Liverpool and PSG are pretty decent teams. 10 goals in 554 CL-minutes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Haaland was the top scorer in the Champions League until Lewandowski went nuts. He's proven himself against men

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Rashford was fantastic this season prior to his injury it's not red tinted at all.
Judging by number, Rashford was about twice as good as last season. A Rashford continuing his scoring trend pre-injury is the top scorer in the 19/20 Premier League season.

This is very much a massive breakout season for him.

Bebestation

Haaland was the top scorer in the Champions League until Lewandowski went nuts. He's proven himself against men
Young players go through break out seasons and can be good for the first couple of years- you literally see it all the time. Wonderkid mean cr*p all until they stay consistent at the bigger ages and/or the bigger leagues.

I'm not saying I dont rate Haaland and Sancho for what they have achieved so far - just I'm not hyping them up to the level saying that they've made their career up already which is what some are rating them towards.

It's like some have seen enough to know he wont fail.

I'm just saying I'm not so sure and I feel that same way about Sancho especially the RW version that everyone wants for us when the Bundesliga fullbacks are playing as wingers themselves and teams seem to play 235 no matter the ability.

The goal today there was literally no defenders on him - part of it was down to movement but even before that there was literally no defenders around him. It's a very confusing league.

Attackers go and absolutely thrive in the Bundesliga.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Young players go through break out seasons and can be good for the first couple of years- you literally see it all the time. Wonderkid mean cr*p all until they stay consistent at the bigger ages and/or the bigger leagues.

I'm not saying I dont rate Haaland and Sancho for what they have achieved so far - just I'm not hyping them up to the level saying that they've made their career up already which is what some are rating them towards.

It's like some have seen enough to know he wont fail.

I'm just saying I'm not so sure and I feel that same way about Sancho especially the RW version that everyone wants for us when the Bundesliga fullbacks are playing as wingers themselves and teams seem to play 235 no matter the ability.

The goal today there was literally no defenders on him - part of it was down to movement but even before that there was literally no defenders around him. It's a very confusing league.

Attackers go and absolutely thrive in the Bundesliga.
That is kind of the point though. Point to a team and I can name you half the squad that had a GREAT season in the Champions league, and quite pedestrian seasons otherwise. Football trophies are not won and awarded by the results of the season before, or after. They are awarded based on the season they performed in.

This season, Erling Haaland is better than almost anyone. Next season he might not be. But this season he was. Wonderkid means exactly what the word implies. Very young, performing as good or better than his adul peers. Haaland has done that. he's broken CL scoring records and given Red Bull Salzburg a dreamrun in their CL group. It means more than crap all to them.

Careers are made and reset every single season. The only thing that carries over into the next season, is the goodwill from the last. You can't look at 40+ goals in a debut senior season and say "it doesn't matter before you've done this until you're 30".

You rate careers at their end. You rate players by the season they are in, and by the season they are in, Haaland is king.

kirk buttercup

I don't really see how people cant see he is an amazing young talent. The guy had 1 chance today and scored , I watch lots of different leagues and I think he could succeed in any of them . He is not like Lukaku but then again he is not like Aguero or Suarez either. But the kid can play and I would love to have him here . I said today when he came on he would win the game , I'm no expert on the game but with a kid like this you know he only needs 1 chance.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Jesus seriously?

Neither have proved it in the superior PL or International level, bonkers post.
But they’re showing more than Rashford ever did at their age. I don’t think they would have any more difficulties in the Premier League, especially Sancho who isn’t as dependent on others as Haaland. It’s pretty widely accepted belief that they are superior talents, as bonkers as it may be to you.

This is the first season that Rashford has shown he can be world class, and it’s a season that didn’t finish and wasn’t very bright until Martial came back to the team. So I wouldn’t say Rashford has definitively proven himself either in both competitions, but he seems to be on his way. He’s also two years older at least.

GledTheRed

But they’re showing more than Rashford ever did at their age. I don’t think they would have any more difficulties in the Premier League, especially Sancho who isn’t as dependent on others as Haaland. It’s pretty widely accepted belief that they are superior talents, as bonkers as it may be to you.

This is the first season that Rashford has shown he can be world class, and it’s a season that didn’t finish and wasn’t very bright until Martial came back to the team. So I wouldn’t say Rashford has definitively proven himself either in both competitions, but he seems to be on his way. He’s also two years older at least.
Talking out your arse mate, serious under rating of Rashford. How many times have you actually watched Sancho and Haaland apart from highlights?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Talking out your arse mate, serious under rating of Rashford. How many times have you actually watched Sancho and Haaland apart from highlights?
Jesus, you're not really suggesting right now that Rashford is a greater talent than Sancho and Haaland, are you?
Not only that, you're so convinced of this that you're attacking people suggesting the opposite?

II fear you're pretty alone with that opinion, mate. Even in a United forum. No offense, but I don't think outside of Manchester, Rashford is even considered a top 10 talent in the world right now.