Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

DeGea

He is the next "Messi" essentially. We should move heaven and earth to get him next year, as whoever gets him will have an incredible chance of winning the league. For many many years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He is the next "Messi" essentially. We should move heaven and earth to get him next year, as whoever gets him will have an incredible chance of winning the league. For many many years.
For 3/4 years until he’s ready for his next adventure*

Chief123

His record in the CL is even better.
Some of you guys are serioulsy overrating the PL, just watched United yesterday, Leeds defence was horrendous :lol:
If you think Leeds defending is an example of how the premier league defends in general then you clearly don’t watch the premier league.

Bundesliga defending and quality in general is very poor.

Marwood

The better player plays.

I love Mason but I love United more. I don't mind having both then keep the better one. We may sell Mason with a buy back clause just in case Haaland is another Ibra. Or sell Haaland for +150m to whoever can afford him, obviously except our rivals.
Yeah fair enough. Personally I wouldn't want to risk losing Greenwood as I think his potential is sky high. If not as good as Haaland then not far off.

If we do get a chance to sign him it'll be a really rough decision either way. Turning down Haaland is awful. Signing Haaland and possibly losing one of Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood is also awful.

I know everyone will shout "rotation" but these guys will want to be starting. They're not backup players.

passing-wind

I am not arguing that the Prem is not a better league with better defenders but using Boateng to make that point finally has to die. :lol:
@Fortitude

I never intended to use Boateng as an example comparing the Prem / Bundelisga but rather how some players can play better in other leagues due to many different conditions revolved around the players ability. Hazard is another prominent example for years one of the best in English football and completely off the mark in Spain.

I use Boateng as a positive example being that Bayern during his transition to moving won the treble with him being a first team player. I just don't see the translation of Haaland being good no matter where he ends up as a result of what we see him doing in Germany. He'll need the right club, the right system and the right infrastructure to perform imo. This is the case most typically with any player.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Scoring those against Sevilla was pretty good, but Lazio, Brügge and St. Petersburg aren’t really that great, right? No doubt if he was playing in the PL he wouldn’t get these numbers. He’s exceptional, obviously, but it’s still the perfect plan to use Dortmund as a stepping stone.
In order for that argument to work, you'd have to assert that the likes of Watford, Brentford, Southampton and Brighton are tougher opposition than Lazio, Brügge or Zenit.. :lol:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
In order for that argument to work, you'd have to assert that the likes of Watford, Brentford, Southampton and Brighton are tougher opposition than Lazio, Brügge or Zenit.. :lol:
I just have to look at the average quality of the PL and know it's above Lazio, Brügge and St. Petersburg.
:lol::lol::lol:
Are you in denial? It's obvious.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
You convinced me. I was in denial, now not anymore.
Yeah, well, just take a look at their squads - now and when Haaland played against them both speak the same language - and you might actually get my point.

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
If you think Leeds defending is an example of how the premier league defends in general then you clearly don’t watch the premier league.

Bundesliga defending and quality in general is very poor.
Considering the huge amounts of money PL teams spent, the overall quality is kinda poor, almost every single club sold themselves to some rich billionaire, you should be dominating the CL every year.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Considering the huge amounts of money PL teams spent, the overall quality is kinda poor, almost every single club sold themselves to some rich billionaire, you should be dominating the CL every year.
Yea they're doing that at the moment and will continue to do so in the upcoming years. Money takes a little bit of time in football business to really show, and it already started last season big time. Also, who cares about the amount of money spent? Everybody knows those few little extra % cost a lot more than the 90% before, it's how the business works. Football is not about financial efficiency and great goals per spent €, it's a sport that deals in absolutes. Everything else is just a nice sidenote.
The Bundesliga is very obviously far behind the PL, it's not a controversial thing to say. And it will be until the Bundesliga is able to close the huge financial gap, which won't happen anytime soon; at least there's nothing that would indicate this actually happening.

bosskeano

you put Haaland in this squad and we are easily a favorite for the league and in europe

Chief123

Are you even thinking before you type? I’ll remind you an EPL team is the current European champions. The final of the UCL was competed by two EPL teams. 3 out of 4 teams that competed in the 2 European competitons were EPL teams. Other than Bayern occasionally, German teams don’t even get close. Huge gap.

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yea they're doing that at the moment and will continue to do so in the upcoming years. Money takes a little bit of time in football business to really show, and it already started last season big time. Also, who cares about the amount of money spent? Everybody knows those few little extra % cost a lot more than the 90% before, it's how the business works. Football is not about financial efficiency and great goals per spent €, it's a sport that deals in absolutes. Everything else is just a nice sidenote.
The Bundesliga is very obviously far behind the PL, it's not a controversial thing to say. And it will be until the Bundesliga is able to close the huge financial gap, which won't happen anytime soon; at least there's nothing that would indicate this actually happening.
To me it matters a lot if money isnt earned. I have a complete different level of respect for Uniteds success compared to CIty, Chelsea, Psg or any other plastic club.

English clubs have to prove that they can dominate the CL for years, as of now its just speculation, things can change quick in football.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
If Lukaku is 100 million, than Haaland is 300 million and I also think he's got deficiencies but once Cavani leaves, he's a logical investment form our point of view, so for his buyout clause he's a great player to get to build the best attack in the world. Greenwood is super talented he could find a way to play anywhere up front even as a 10/second striker so I wouldn't be too worried.

On the other hand people are getting too much carried away, most of his goals are tap ins and he's running onto some absolute dogshite defences so he's got plenty to prove at Premier league level..

Magz

Mostly tap-ins? You can count all of his tap-ins on one hand.

If anyone's doubting Haaland's abilities, here's his stats since joining Dortmund in January '20:

61 matches, 62 goals, 18 assists. A g/a every 62,6 mins. And he's just turned 21.

Last edited:

Harold_Giles

Literally zero titles delivered. Imagine this team with a proper manager with the ability to build set, attacking patterns.. now that would be great stuff.
Yet.

You have to be really pessimistic if you can't see that we're progressing at a very steady rate.
I absolutely love the squad Ole has assembled since taking over from Mourinho, and I'm looking forward to see where he can take us.

MattofManchester

If anyone's doubting Haaland's abilities, here's his stats since joining Dortmund in January '20:
Nobody really doubts his goalscoring ability, do they?

It's more his technique and other factors.
The most important being how he transitions in a top team.
At Dortmund, he's allowed plenty of room and space on the counter and he thrives in that.
At a bigger club, he'll be required to offer greater hold up play and support, given they'll be more on the front foot.

He's an impeccable goalscorer, but even then he's nowhere near being a complete player.
There's still so many ways he can improve. He seems the type who will look to do so as well.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
Nobody really doubts his goalscoring ability, do they?

It's more his technique and other factors.
The most important being how he transitions in a top team.
At Dortmund, he's allowed plenty of room and space on the counter and he thrives in that.
At a bigger club, he'll be required to offer greater hold up play and support, given they'll be more on the front foot.

He's an impeccable goalscorer, but even then he's nowhere near being a complete player.
There's still so many ways he can improve. He seems the type who will look to do so as well.
Ah the old "Dortmund the counter attacking team"- myth. Busting this on the caf is like fighting against uneducated windmills.

In the year 20/21 Dortmund had an average possession of 59,5%. Only Leipzig (59,9) and Bayern (61,2) had more possession

Stronger teams tend to have more possession against weaker teams. Dortmund is, let’s say the 13. best team in Europe. So, twelve teams are better than Dortmund. Of this twelve teams Dortmund played exactly two in the season 20/21, Bayern (3x) and City (2x). Dortmund played 61 games that season.

That means Dortmund is in 55 games the stronger team. And you except them to dictate the game. How can you be a counter attacking team if you are playing against the underdog in over 90% of all games?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ah the old "Dortmund the counter attacking team"- myth. Busting this on the caf is like fighting against uneducated windmills.

In the year 20/21 Dortmund had an average possession of 59,5%. Only Leipzig (59,9) and Bayern (61,2) had more possession

Stronger teams tend to have more possession against weaker teams. Dortmund is, let’s say the 13. best team in Europe. So, twelve teams are better than Dortmund. Of this twelve teams Dortmund played exactly two in the season 20/21, Bayern (3x) and City (2x). Dortmund played 61 games that season.

That means Dortmund is in 55 games the stronger team. And you except them to dictate the game. How can you be a counter attacking team if you are playing against the underdog in over 90% of all games?
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - but having possesion doesn't meant that counter attacks can't happen.

Yesterday's City vs Spurs was a highlight of this.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - but having possesion doesn't meant that counter attacks can't happen.

Obviously true, but the point is that the ratio of counter attacks vs slow build up play is quite similar for Dortmund and Haaland's possible next clubs. So he should not suffer from less counter attacks, because that just will not be the case.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA

Of course, every team counterattack some of the time. But solely counter-attacking teams tend to sit back and wait for the other team to come from minute one. If these teams have more possession it`s forced possession because they are on goal down and have to build up.

You can`t be one of those teams, if you are the second-best team in your league.

Reactions: Fortitude

bosskeano

please tell me there aren't people actually debating on this kid and his goal scoring ability??? you have to be joking

he's right now the most lethal goal scoring #9 in europe including lewandowski....put him in the mix with sancho and rashford/greenwood, this kid will score 30 goals a season..

RedRover

It's peak internet when people are genuinely questioning whether this lad is the real deal.

He's big, strong, fast and looks very much like a natural goal scorer. He's scoring a goal a game in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe, and has a great record at the very top level in the CL. He's also 21, and therefore is likely to get better.

He's about as nailed on to be a top class forward as you can get.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's peak internet when people are genuinely questioning whether this lad is the real deal.

He's big, strong, fast and looks very much like a natural goal scorer. He's scoring a goal a game in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe, and has a great record at teh very top level in the CL. He's also 21, and therefore is likely to get better.

He's about as nailed on to be a top class forward as you can get.
His physical attributes and scoring instinct are unreal. It is almost like cheating in FM with his size, strength, height, pace and shooting!

RedRover

His physical attributes and scoring instinct are unreal. It is almost like cheating in FM with his size, strength, height, pace and shooting!
Physically he looks the part and at 21, he'll probably develop further.

I've seen players criticised for relying on those attributes which I think is utter nonsense. Just because you're a good athlete, doesn't mean you'll break down at 30. Drogba was still dominating defenders in his mid 30's. Ronaldo is still turning out top class performances. And in any event, by the time he's in his 30's he'll probably have 300 plus goals and a bucket load of trophies to his name.

For me, genuinely the most exciting talent in the game since Ronaldo and Messi.

Idxomer

Looks to have had a bad game.

If he wants to be paid like Ronaldo and Messi, he needs adding more elements to his game.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Looks to have had a bad game.

If he wants to be paid like Ronaldo and Messi, he needs adding more elements to his game.
And you base this off of a single game you didn’t even watch?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Without him Dortmund would be nothing.

That's a great finish.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Forcing his way past two players, accurately crossing, having the know-how and presence to realise he's offside and hence the last second jump back into play, the finish and the batshit crazy celebration.

People say he scores easy goals but the reality is that he makes goals look easy through his insane attributes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Forcing his way past two players, accurately crossing, having the know-how and presence to realise he's offside and hence the last second jump back into play, the finish and the batshit crazy celebration.

People say he scores easy goals but the reality is that he makes goals look easy through his insane attributes.
Well said. No such thing as scoring easy goals. If that was the case everyone would be.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He reminds me of a young Wayne if I've ever seen it.