Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Haha, the post 2 above mine replied to yours giving you one source (times).

A quick google will give you plenty more.
When I google "haaland €50 mil release clause" the first link I get is the one from times, which is paywalled, but google suggest they wrote "in excess of €50m" somewhere in that article, second link is Odgen probably copying from the times, third one is a generic "Haaland joined Dortmund article" that doesn't mention specifics and the fourth one is a link to this thread.

RoyH1

:lol:

Already looking a year or two ahead, huh?

Regarding Haaland, I think this is a good and sensible move for him. I look forward to seeing how he does, I have a feeling he will do great once he's adjusted to his teammates.
Yeah, Dortmund does know how to develop a young player. I cannot say I blame him. If I was his agent I'd tell him to go there too. What surprises me is the RB Salzburg didn't hold out for more money considering the interest in the player.

Intentional? :lol:
Always! You know when the time comes that's where he'll go. I've always found it weird how in Italy and Germany rival clubs sell to each other. Much prefer the PL and La Liga in that regard where some clubs would rather eat the stadium seats than selling to a rival regardless of what the player wants.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
There are no German sources for a release clause. And talk that Raiola got „only“ €3m.

Flanders Devil

Abso-fecking-lutely.
I don’t really like Riaola, but I agree with you that the hate for him is unfair from anything other than a fan/club’s point of view.

He always seems to get a deal that his client is happy with (and one where he is well rewarded) which really should / is his only prerogative.

The idea that the deal (any deal) has to be ‘fair’ or even beneficial for the club is one that the clubs representatives need to decide on, not the agent. The agent is only doing his job by finding the best deal for his client and himself.

The only argument you could make would be one of Business acumen, potentially saying he’s not acting sustainably for his clients or himself in the long term if he gets every club offside and not willing to deal with him.

crossy1686

career ending
For a team and a manager that don't play with a CF, this is a weird move. Looks like the board have pushed this one through due to their lack of goal scoring threat. Will be interesting to see how he's used.

Haddock

I don’t really like Riaola, but I agree with you that the hate for him is unfair from anything other than a fan/club’s point of view.

He always seems to get a deal that his client is happy with (and one where he is well rewarded) which really should / is his only prerogative.

The idea that the deal (any deal) has to be ‘fair’ or even beneficial for the club is one that the clubs representatives need to decide on, not the agent. The agent is only doing his job by finding the best deal for his client and himself.

The only argument you could make would be one of Business acumen, potentially saying he’s not acting sustainably for his clients or himself in the long term if he gets every club offside and not willing to deal with him.
It's not. He's literally a parasite. There is nothing beneficial about any of his deals. His clients are perennially on the move (with the exception of Pavel Nedved). He stands to gain more from Haland's deal in one day than the player will earn in 3 years. If that isn't the very definition of leech I don't know what is. Exactly what, pray tell, is the value Mino Raiola adds to Erling Haland, Dortmund or football?

I agree about fairness and being beneficial. No use blaming Raiola. He does what he has to do.

Personally I am glad United passed on this. Sure he might end up being the next Batistuta or he might not. From his perspective, at least his every kick won't be scrutinised by the press and he won't be declared a flop before he even steps on the pitch. For the club that didn't buy him at least there won't be constant uncertainty over his future and the player (or his agent) doesn't dictate terms.

Inevitably he will move again in two years when his release clause kicks in or even if it doesn't ... well his agent is Mino Raiola, so other clubs will get a second bite.

moodyred

Win win for both Haaland and Riola.

Haaland gets to prove himself in a more competitive league while having more opportunity to play and develop.

Riola gets to cash in now and in 2 years time, another change to cash in if Haaland does well at Dortmund.

Smart move both.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Madness. Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood are the only players that can play up front for us. Two of them play every game. One injury and we’re depleted up front and have no one on the bench to step in. For 20 million he was a complete bargain to give us more bodies up front.
And James too.
Of course we all want Haaland for 20m. But he didn’t want to join us.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
If you think about it from a career point of view its a no brainer for him tbh . Dortmund are a club that has for a long time now played good football and competed at the top while playing young players and they are open to the idea of selling players when they become very good. United might have Ole but we have no real football philosophy at the moment. If he sat in a meeting with Ed I doubt Woodward would be able to tell him the plans for the club moving forward on the football side of things . 6 months down the line United could sack Ole and appoint someone like Jose or Allegri who care just about results and would drop him if they don't like him .

LeeSharpeShuffle

Never ever felt that he would play for us, his fathers legacy forbid it in my humble opinion. Glad it’s done now, n’ early. Channeling my inner Sir Fergie, I think he would be looking at Oliver Giroud as a stop gap, mentor for our promising striker group. Always rated him, good option, bit of a chip on his shoulder, French, bit of a dude

Reactions: Sultan

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@do.ob
Still not convinced about the Hanke comparison, but it's not necessary to continue with that discussion. We'll just see what happens with Haaland's integration.

Denis79

Not a bad joke. But you‘re the 20th poster to write it and it is only page 12. :boring:
Haha didn't know that. I wasn't joking though, if he fits in the league and is as good as some claim natural step will be Bayern.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Glad we gave this player a miss and didn't bow down to the insane demands of the deal. We do not need more characters whose strings will be pulled by agents/relatives. We lost Ronaldo because of his mother's so called desire to see him play for Madrid. We may lose Pogba yet cause he is seemingly swayed by his agent who wants one more mega transfer for him at least and thus pocket another mega fee. This guy would have been a story on the same lines. Also best stay away from players in who Raoila has got his unholy interests. Furthermore, we have enough young strikers. If we are going for a striker we should zero in on someone with more experience, won't cost a gazillion and also will be willing to rotate. Plus the youngsters could learn from such a player. Cavani/Lewandowski types who could give a solid two years full of goals and then leave/retire. We should also look to South America for striking options, because the better players from there always seem to slip through. Hearing a lot that Gabigol fella is back on top of his game.

PyroMan

Don't think Raiola has persuaded him to go to Dortmund for money. Mino knows that there will be huge transfer 2-3 years down the line if Haaland performs at Dortmund, with multiple suitors. He will then make bank.

Currently, he's just nurturing his investment, fattening is up for much bigger returns down the line. Wouldn't doubt he charged peanuts for this deal. There are much bigger transfers that he can manoeuvre to make money.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don’t really care. Martial is better all round player than Haaland anyway, and Greenwood has higher potential. And they are at similar age too.

PaulRich

I'm pretty sure this isn't exactly a bad thing. Our transfer kitty is better being spent in other more lacking areas. If anything we should be looking for an experienced forward, who isn't exactly knackered and over the hill, at decent money just to bolster things. Midfield should and no doubt will be a priority.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It seems this is just part and parcel of fandom these days. So much knee-jerk idiocy, any time they get the chance.
It's ridiculous, this sense of entitlement some fans have. When we were at our best under SAF, many promising players chose other clubs over us, it was always gonna get worse with time. How some cannot cope with this reality is weird to me.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wanted Haaland here but as I said before - Dortmund is not as much of a good stepping stone as people making it out to be.

Just because they buy the young players just to sell them later on doesn't mean that many have had gone on to exactly set the world alight. Let's see if Haaland will & if he does - maybe we can pay for his release clause.

rollingstoned1

Glad we gave this player a miss and didn't bow down to the insane demands of the deal. We do not need more characters whose strings will be pulled by agents/relatives. We lost Ronaldo because of his mother's so called desire to see him play for Madrid. We may lose Pogba yet cause he is seemingly swayed by his agent who wants one more mega transfer for him at least and thus pocket another mega fee. This guy would have been a story on the same lines. Also best stay away from players in who Raoila has got his unholy interests. Furthermore, we have enough young strikers. If we are going for a striker we should zero in on someone with more experience, won't cost a gazillion and also will be willing to rotate. Plus the youngsters could learn from such a player. Cavani/Lewandowski types who could give a solid two years full of goals and then leave/retire. We should also look to South America for striking options, because the better players from there always seem to slip through. Hearing a lot that Gabigol fella is back on top of his game.
this part isn't true. Ronaldo always wanted to eventually move to Madrid, that much was clear by then. We wouldn't have been able to stop him under any circumstances.

flappyjay

this part isn't true. Ronaldo always wanted to eventually move to Madrid, that much was clear by then. We wouldn't have been able to stop him under any circumstances.
He said it in an interview before he even joined us that he wanted to play for Madrid one day.

Son

Don’t really care. Martial is better all round player than Haaland anyway, and Greenwood has higher potential. And they are at similar age too.
Completely agree with this. Haaland would have been a squad option for us in the short to medium term.

Greenwood is the better talent and I’m a massive fan of Haaland. Physicality wise and speed no but football IQ and ability yes on both fronts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Well if his client got the move and at the end of the day he got millions more than what we think he should as a fans then to be fair he is finding that sweet deal

Flanders Devil

It's not. He's literally a parasite. There is nothing beneficial about any of his deals. His clients are perennially on the move (with the exception of Pavel Nedved). He stands to gain more from Haland's deal in one day than the player will earn in 3 years. If that isn't the very definition of leech I don't know what is. Exactly what, pray tell, is the value Mino Raiola adds to Erling Haland, Dortmund or football?
I think your also actually arguing my point as well - your use of the word parasite by definition isn’t far off what agents roles are in general (arguably in any field ie recruitment agent, real estate agent, etc. - and I don’t mean to offend anyone’s occupation, just using your argument of the term parasite). An agent is by definition a facilitator rather than a necessary part of a process.

However, this doesn’t mean he isn’t doing his job (as a agent) well. Regarding your questions, my point is he doesn’t need to add any value to Dortmund or Football. The value he’s added for Haaland is that he’s advanced Haaland’s career, got him a huge pay rise, and opened up further earning and career progression opportunities for him if he wants it down the track. He’s done his job for Haaland, he’s getting paid for it (obscenely well). Dortmund have agreed to it. Footballs governing bodies allow it.

I’ll restate I don’t like Railoa one bit. But it’s not hard to see why his clients work with him.

Personally I’m still gutted we missed out on Haaland, as I think he is / will be a great player. We’ll see if we’re in for him again in 2 years time...

Judas

Open to offers
How the hell has this thread got so many pages already :lol: talk about a muppet meltdown, this is insane. I really worry how this place reacts when Sancho goes to Chelsea.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
No doubt that Haaland is a talented player and given his, relatively, low release fee from Salzburg then Dortmund have probably got a good deal. However given that the player's agent gets 10m out of the deal I can understand United not pursuing Haaland. At some point a line needs to be drawn in the sand. As has been said Greenwood looks a fantastic prospect and I expect him to become of the standard United require week in week out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He’s just signed for a German club course their press are going to paint it in the best light they possibly can for them.
Do people actually believe in that sort of theory? The press in all countries likes to have cheap shots, find something negative to say in order to have headlines for days and for the vast majority they don't write articles with a foreign perspective.

Pughnichi

Controversial, but...regardless of agent, could it be at all possible he wanted to go to Dortmund? A great club playing Champions League, in the running for a title and almost guaranteed to aid his development in a league perhaps more suited for him presently.

i am indifferent to missing out. I’d much prefer us to spend money on the RW and allow Greenwood the opportunities up front. We’ve got our own quality striker in the making.