Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Eric's Seagull

Although I think it was a good choice for Haaland for career development. I read somewhere not sure how true it was that Haaland wanted assurances that Ole was going to be around as our manager for a while. Maybe he didn't get them and that may have contributed to his decision to choose Dortmund over United.

Toni Roncoroni

Honestly I always thought that he will sign for Dortmund or Leipzig. They are crying out for a number 9 striker. It looks like Paco Alcazer will be off as he didn't play a lot this season. From Haalands point of view I guess it is the right choice and the best next step he could take. I am really looking forward to see him play in the Bundesliga.

As mentioned from a few of you already I also think that we have other positions we need strenghtening. If we are going for a striker it should be someone we can throw in right away like Giroud or Dembele.

KekiZeki

Although I think it was a good choice for Haaland for career development. I read somewhere not sure how true it was that Haaland wanted assurances that Ole was going to be around as our manager for a while. Maybe he didn't get them and that may have contributed to his decision to choose Dortmund over United.
That's just tabloid talk of those who want to put unrest in our ranks. He played in Austria, moving to Germany is the most obvious and easiest step. If he wanted assurances it may have been about his own playing time and Ole would never go for that.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Makes sense for everyone when you look at our squad, consider Dortmund's desperate need for a striker and the extra pressure he would face at United. Plus the German league should be an easier transition and he is guaranteed champions league football every season. It's the right move for him but it's a shame he turned us down, he will be a bargain.

Eric's Seagull

That's just tabloid talk of those who want to put unrest in our ranks. He played in Austria, moving to Germany is the most obvious and easiest step. If he wanted assurances it may have been about his own playing time and Ole would never go for that.
I could understand how it may have just been paper talk as it seems that some people just want us to not do well. I agree with the part in bold. Hopefully we move and are able to snap up the next supposed Generational Talent before they sign for someone else does.

jackal&hyde

From his pov, I think he'd struggle to knock Martial off the first team. Then we have Greenwood as well.
Yes. If being guaranteed a starting spot was a requirement from him, then United wasn't the place, Martial is a better footballer at this time. But it's crazy to think that a 19 yo that played very well for about a year would have those sort of demands.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not too bothered about this one.

Johan07

He had a choice between money and Ole.

He chose money.
Sorry, but thats just stupid. Now Dortmund is outspending us?
This was never about money. Now.
We can outbid anyone, especially Dortmund.
Its pretty clear that United backed out of the transfer because Raiola wanted control over the players future with some combination of release clause/sell-on fee.
We did not want to comply to a third party controlling the future of one of our players.
Good on the club I say. Woodward gets a lot of crap on here; he should get some credit for decisions like this as well.

Eric's Seagull

Sorry, but thats just stupid. Now Dortmund is outspending us?
This was never about money. Now.
We can outbid anyone, especially Dortmund.
Its pretty clear that United backed out of the transfer because Raiola wanted control over the players future with some combination of release clause/sell-on fee.
We did not want to comply to a third party controlling the future of one of our players.
Good on the club I say. Woodward gets a lot of crap on here; he should get some credit for decisions like this as well.
If the part is bold is correct. I can see why we might have pulled out of this transfer. I don't think agents should be able to dictate potential release clause/sell on fee as Raiola has managed to do this once, this may become a more common occurrence in the future and he may try to doing it with other high profile players and other agents may follow suit.

Also it may make more players think they can get Raiola in to negotiate a release clause for their next move. Also I don't think it shows much commitment from the player when they are preparing for their next potential move even before they have signed for a team.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The parents getting involved is wrong.

Imagine someone guilt tripping their 18 year old kid by saying... "You don't love me as much as Neymar loves his dad"

F*ck these stage parents... and get them out of the game. If the kid wants to give the parents money later, that is their right.
I would guess that his father invested a lot of time into him becoming a professional footballer, without him he probably wouldn't be where he is. In these circumstances imo there is nothing wrong with him reaping the rewards too, better than giving it to an outsider.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Raiola gave interview to telegraph to clear the rumors.

“When you are 19 then maybe you prefer not to go to the Premier League,” Raiola said adding: “The offer from Manchester United was good. It was not about the economics. It is just the player chose Borussia Dortmund at this stage of his career.”
Said there is no buy out clause.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure what all the fuss is about? Young player chose a club where he'll get guaranteed starts and 99% likelihood of CL football. In 2-3 years he'll move to a bigger club.

Adcuth

Be interesting to see how he progresses. Slightly easier league and he's at one of the better teams. He'll get plenty of chances to score goals there.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Anyone seen the full quotes from Raiola? He's been talking a lot lately.

“I do not know if Manchester United are briefing this but if they are then they are covering their own loss and that I find strange and disappointing,” Raiola said over the claims of insisting on a buy-out clause and other demands leading to the transfer to Old Trafford not happening.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...raiola-disappointed-manchester-united-erling/

You can create a trash-mail account to view the full article.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's knowing who to believe in this situation. I can understand him going to Dortmund, plenty of playing time, as others have said, not the same intense pressure. This should help him mature and develop. We are getting two sides to this story, is there a clause? If not, then who is releasing stories saying that is why we didn't sign him. If the kid just thought Dortmund was better for him, move on with a bit of dignity and see how he gets on. Spitting our dummies out does not look good.
Will all the full details come out ? We maybe need to wait. Maybe Ole will clear it up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Raiola is a cnut but at least he knows how to do his job properly. Glad he's calling out the incompetent embarrassment of a CEO we have. If Woodward was half as good at his job as he is at making petty excuses and outright lying in his media briefings, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in.

RoyH1

We should simply stop trying to sign Raiola players. His demands are exorbitant and unreasonable and I simply don't understand why FIFA allows this kind of behaviour to stand. Agent fees should be capped to maximum 10% of the total value of any deal, full stop.

Mainoldo

We should simply stop trying to sign Raiola players. His demands are exorbitant and unreasonable and I simply don't understand why FIFA allows this kind of behaviour to stand. Agent fees should be capped to maximum 10% of the total value of any deal, full stop.
How much did Haaland go for and how much are BVD paying a week? I hardly believe it’s exorbitant.

RoyH1

How much did Haaland go for and how much are BVD paying a week? I hardly believe it’s exorbitant.
No, but it's the amount of his take. It's being reported that Salzburg got 20 million while Raiola got 15 million. That's money that doesn't go back into football or stadiums, other players etc...Just the man's pockets.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No, but it's the amount of his take. It's being reported that Salzburg got 20 million while Raiola got 15 million. That's money that doesn't go back into football or stadiums, other players etc...Just the man's pockets.
That would be the numbers which were reported by the guy who said that the player had not decided yet 10 minutes before the transfer was announced? Bild put Raiola's cut at €3m.

Pughnichi

There isn’t anything official from the club saying the agent demands were ridiculous and we therefore cancelled any deal. Why would we publicly burn bridges with an agent who we may well in future need the services of. We ain’t that stupid regardless of who the agent might be. It’s all media spin and absolute tripe. Mino was asked a question suggesting we covered our back and answered with an ‘if that’s what they’re saying’...

Agents aren’t the problem in football. Media however is poison and whips us fans all into a frenzy to encourage clickbait. It’s ridiculous.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's knowing who to believe in this situation. I can understand him going to Dortmund, plenty of playing time, as others have said, not the same intense pressure. This should help him mature and develop. We are getting two sides to this story, is there a clause? If not, then who is releasing stories saying that is why we didn't sign him. If the kid just thought Dortmund was better for him, move on with a bit of dignity and see how he gets on. Spitting our dummies out does not look good.
Will all the full details come out ? We maybe need to wait. Maybe Ole will clear it up.
There aren't two sides to the actual story. It's obvious by now that the first numbers and details released were pure nonsense. They never made sense in the first place and Ole surely isn't the one who can say anything credible about the details of the contract at another club.

Raiola's speculation that United might have briefed it to cover their loss shouldn't be believed either. It's maybe possible of course, but very unlikely and I'd bet that he was specificially asked in that interview to get a quote that mentions United. It's much more likely that some weird "twitter journalist" just made up stuff to create a story and as usual way too many news outlets and fans jumped on that and called it credible without even the slightest hint of a credible source. But it sure created plenty of clicks for anyone who published that nonsense. That isn't surprising because of the huge public interest in United and how football fans of all clubs always need a "meaningful" reason why they missed out. So just make one up and earn a living from it.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There isn’t anything official from the club saying the agent demands were ridiculous and we therefore cancelled any deal. Why would we publicly burn bridges with an agent who we may well in future need the services of. We ain’t that stupid regardless of who the agent might be. It’s all media spin and absolute tripe. Mino was asked a question suggesting we covered our back and answered with an ‘if that’s what they’re saying’...

Agents aren’t the problem in football. Media however is poison and whips us fans all into a frenzy to encourage clickbait. It’s ridiculous.
Well said on that last paragraph. Fact is Raiola is a top agent and will look out for what's best for his clients just like the club will look out for its best interest too.
We didn't get the player, end of discussion. More than that is stupid speculation

Mainoldo

If you choose to believe that. So basically they sold him for less than they got him for. You think Red Bull headquarters would allow that to happen?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There aren't two sides to the actual story. It's obvious by now that the first numbers and details released were pure nonsense. They never made sense in the first place and Ole surely isn't the one who can say anything credible about the details of the contract at another club.

Raiola's speculation that United might have briefed it to cover their loss shouldn't be believed either. It's maybe possible of course, but very unlikely and I'd bet that he was specificially asked in that interview to get a quote that mentions United. It's much more likely that some weird "twitter journalist" just made up stuff to create a story and as usual way too many news outlets and fans jumped on that and called it credible without even the slightest hint of a credible source. But it sure created plenty of clicks for anyone who published that nonsense. That isn't surprising because of the huge public interest in United and how football fans of all clubs always need a "meaningful" reason why they missed out. So just make one up and earn a living from it.
It certainly killed the negative momentum the press might have spun from the transfer. At the same time it was so non-commital that Raiola could kill it the following day and the journalists would have to make a u-turn from their previous reportings to assign blame to United. United gained something, Raiola lost nothing, journalists are indifferent to the truth anyway. Call me cynical, but that doesn't sound far fetched to me, especially since almost all English outlets reported the same stuff seemingly within minutes, which certainly looked a bit orchestrated.

AshRK

May sound strange but i for one won't blame WOodward or Ole for this. Haaland made a wise choice and we too made a wise choice of not falling in Raiola's trap. Good move for all.

Mainoldo

I'm not sure how agents fees work but maybe Dortmund payed Raiola €15 on top of the transfer fee.
Dortmund have never been cash rich. I’m pretty sure they would have told them to eff off and gave United a free run.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So there is no buyout clause, he earns €8m p.a. and Raiola‘s cut is €3m. I think this is what it boils down to.
The wages are a bit rich for my(!) liking, but sounds like a good deal for Dortmund.

RedDevil@84

Funny that people are bending backwards to find reasons why he wouldn't join us. Why would any youngster join a team that has been work in progress for last 6 years and which doesn't have any kind of structure or system to get out of this mess. Unless of course the player prioritizes money which is the only thing we have in the market nowadays.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Wise choice regarding play time, he is just 19 after all. I do not think money had anything to do with this, just The Haaland camp trying to ensure enough playtime. I think if Ole succeeds at keeping the manager job at utd then Haaland might still be going to United in a couple of years. Raiola also went to the media today and said it was the players choice and had nothing to do with the salary.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Haaland should really walk into BVB first 11 quite quickly,no ?

He only has Alcacer as competition for the central role.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
“I do not know if Manchester United are briefing this but if they are then they are covering their own loss and that I find strange and disappointing,” Raiola said over the claims of insisting on a buy-out clause and other demands leading to the transfer to Old Trafford not happening.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...raiola-disappointed-manchester-united-erling/

You can create a trash-mail account to view the full article.
Raiola is a cnut but at least he knows how to do his job properly. Glad he's calling out the incompetent embarrassment of a CEO we have. If Woodward was half as good at his job as he is at making petty excuses and outright lying in his media briefings, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in.
Agree about everything except Raiola is a cnut.

Haaland and his family has the final say in every decision regarding his future so every disappointment (why not United) should be addressed against them (or Woodward/Ole) instead of Raiola. The family consulted him because of his contact net, experience and negotiation skills, and judging from the results he did a excellent job protecting his clients interests both financially and career wise.

The way United brief the English press (if this is the case) is embarrassing and counter productive. We look small time and amateurish.

Maybe United and Ole‘s project isn‘t attractive enough!? Erling and his family had first hand experience of Ole as a manager and friend, they know the size of our fan base and our reputation, they also know we pay top dollar to our best players so why wasn‘t they interested enough when Ole and Woody took a private jet to meet them?

Ole said in his presser later on that Erling already had made his decision (where to go) when he met him. Strange. If the family was long time friends with Ole why then let him take a private jet to find out they weren’t interested?

Whoever is lying or not doesn’t matter. We didn’t get the player and the aftermatch reflects badly on us and how we do our transfer business.