Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's got a £60m release clause built into his deal at Dortmund that can be first triggered in May 2022.

That same deal to us would have not only left us at threat to Madrid, Juve, Bayern n Barca. City n Liverpool could have taken him off us and we'd have been helpless to stop it.

As good as Haaland is......for once I'm with the club. That's not a good clause to have lingering over us. Very small time. Imagine being a Dortmund fan if Bayern take him in 2022. You can already see it happening too. They always take their best players.

Feck Raiola and his greedy ways.

He's got a £60m release clause built into his deal at Dortmund that can be first triggered in May 2022.

That same deal to us would have not only left us at threat to Madrid, Juve, Bayern n Barca. City n Liverpool could have taken him off us and we'd have been helpless to stop it.

As good as Haaland is......for once I'm with the club. That's not a good clause to have lingering over us. Very small time. Imagine being a Dortmund fan if Bayern take him in 2022. You can already see it happening too. They always take their best players.

Feck Raiola and his greedy ways.
Absolutely agree with this, said it loads on here at the time Dortmund signed him. Great deal for them, a no go for Juve or United.

Kostur

海尔的老板
All attacking players and all of them would have outrageous numbers if they were back in Germany. That doesn't detract from their quality now, but they're not defensively minded which goes back to the original argument that defending in the bundesliga is shite and that any strikers numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt.

feck me, even Hunteleer, Mame Diouf and Mario fecking Gomes (who had two 40 goal seasons) had ridiculous numbers.

Im still waiting for the likes of Lewa to rip open the latter part of the CL where he's not playing teams from bum feck nowhere because much like Ibrah, he's failed to deliver massively in that regard.
That's why the guy I was responding to mentioned Miki and Kagawa as the two who flopped in the league? The two are now defensive minded players eh?

As for your Lewa argument you're actually wrong in that sense that apart from the two aliens in Ronaldo and Messi and Benzema there's no other striker who has a decent scoring record in later stages of the CL. There's a statistical breakdown in Lewa's thread in the football forum.

United's interest was reported before or at the same time as Dortmund's interest. It's a complete lie to insinuate United were interested only b/c Dortmund were interested.
That’s not what I said man, no wonder you think I made it up.
We flew out last minute and his mind was made up to join Dortmund, every outlet reported it, Ole admitted it. Yet somehow I made it up.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Real is going to need a replacement for Benzema pretty soon as well. I think Bayern will face some steep competition if they are going to be in for Haaland.
Real already bought their Benzema replacement this season. Bayern will want to see how Zirkzee and Arp progress.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
That’s not what I said man, no wonder you think I made it up.
We flew out last minute and his mind was made up to join Dortmund, every outlet reported it, Ole admitted it. Yet somehow I made it up.
That's what you insinuated with your entire post. United's interest had been noted at the beginning of the season, so that rumor is pointless. Ole tried to sign him but he chose someone else. End of.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Hindsight? I didn’t manage the guy ffs.

I have no hindsight, but I’m certain Ole must be kicking himself.

And how much were we prepared to pay for Martial or Bayern for CHO after a mere handfull of games?
My only guess is that Ole didn’t rate him that highly.
I think Ole rates him incredibly high, I mean why wouldn't he? Nothing suggest he doesn't. Ole brought a lot of Norwegians to Cardiff, any sign of him doing the same here would put unnecessary pressure on a kid like that and the kid would probably be used to as a stick to bash Ole with. It is obvious why he didn't bring any Norwegian with him this time.

I do think we might have the possibility to sign Haaland the summer after next if he fancies the PL. At that point we would only sign him if has proved himself good enough, coming here with a lot more experience, very low risk, and still without us spending more than 50m or whatever his clause is.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Speculating why Ole didn't go for Haaland, for a United role, before Haaland played in Champions League and could show what he could do against decent teams, is useless speculation.

Point is - this winter we already knew he would be a good addition for us and we could have had him if we wanted to have him. It's a kid who does what his daddy and Raiola tell him. All Woodward had to do was line their pockets with several million quids. The cheap bastard just didn't want to do it. That's what the whole "right players at right price" bullshit is about. As if Maguire at world-record fee was "right price". Right price is what it's worth to you.

If Haaland helps you beat the teams we struggle with and we reach top 4 in PL this year - is that worth it? That's 50 million quids directly in our pockets and more in sponsorship dollars, so why not spend 10 of that to seal the deal?

There is only one explanation – Woodward has no idea which players will move the needle and therefore he has no idea how to price the deals. This is why we need a director of football that would have actual power. But under Woody, even if we hired a DF, he would not let them be independent enough so - what's the fecking point. Until that dude is around, we will keep doing stupid shit.

M16Red

Simple way? A fixed £60m release clause leaves us vulnerable. Imagine if it's Bayern who take Haaland from Dortmund. Could happen. That will leave a sour taste in their mouths. Same for us. He could have come to us and done well and our rivals could have taken him away. Imagine Liverpool taking our best player off us for a fee lower than it should be hypothetically.

He's a great player potentially but that release clause and Raiola should not be overlooked.

I'm happy with Greenwood. Lad is special also. Let's get a special midfielder or three I say.
If you think like a person who is scared of someone taking something way, then okay. I'm not arsed - you can fight me for it and you might win - but be on your toes kid because the rematch is on the next corner.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Now that Ronaldo is winding down and cannot be as aggressive as he once was, is this kid the most forceful in the game now? Someone likened his determination to a young Rooney, which is not something you can associate with many players.

He has that drive to score goals that really reminds me of RVN. His aggression and driving runs stand out like a sore thumb in his game. The goals he scored on his debut were effectively enabled by dire defending, but also his absolute desire to capitalise on any opening they gave him. It points toward a player who will forage like a mad man against fooderish sides and rack up massive numbers.

Do any sides in Die Bundesliga sit deep or have a challenging backline, or is it all kamikaze, high line football? If the latter, his tallies are going to be ridiculous - I would very much like to see him against deeper lines that have good organisation and individuals, but that mightn't come along often.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Speculating why Ole didn't go for Haaland, for a United role, before Haaland played in Champions League and could show what he could do against decent teams, is useless speculation.

Point is - this winter we already knew he would be a good addition for us and we could have had him if we wanted to have him. It's a kid who does what his daddy and Raiola tell him. All Woodward had to do was line their pockets with several million quids. The cheap bastard just didn't want to do it. That's what the whole "right players at right price" bullshit is about. As if Maguire at world-record fee was "right price". Right price is what it's worth to you.

If Haaland helps you beat the teams we struggle with and we reach top 4 in PL this year - is that worth it? That's 50 million quids directly in our pockets and more in sponsorship dollars, so why not spend 10 of that to seal the deal?

There is only one explanation – Woodward has no idea which players will move the needle and therefore he has no idea how to price the deals. This is why we need a director of football that would have actual power. But under Woody, even if we hired a DF, he would not let them be independent enough so - what's the fecking point. Until that dude is around, we will keep doing stupid shit.
What reports said the offered money was the determining factor? I've never heard that before.

Sad Chris

Sounds like a great debut, but geeeezus, what a giveaway from Augsburg.

Augsburg up 3:1 and play so high that they get countered into a 3:5

That’s a manager that deserves some stick

NewGlory

What reports said the offered money was the determining factor? I've never heard that before.
Any deal Raiola is part of is all about money. The only question is - how much money. If you think that we'd pay each of Raiola and Haaland's daddy 5-5M quid and they would not bring the junior to us on a platter, then I admire your faith in humanity (and your naïveté, sorry).

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Any deal Raiola is part of is all about money. The only question is - how much money. If you think that we'd pay each of Raiola and Haaland's daddy 5-5M quid and they would not bring the junior to us on a platter, then I admire your faith in humanity (and your naïveté, sorry).
If it was primarily about money he would have went to Juve or United, clubs who can afford to pay more wages. You're making up fantasy scenarios and figures yet I'm naive. Amusing.

NewGlory

That was a stellar ball from the right back.
Indeed. Also - who the hell was it? According to the match timeline the actual starting right-back on record (Łukasz Piszczek) was replaced by Haaland :D So who was playing in that position after that?

NewGlory

If it was primarily about money he would have went to Juve or United, clubs who can afford to pay more wages. You're making up fantasy scenarios and figures yet I'm naive. Amusing.
I said money in Raiola's and daddy's pockets and you are responding about "wages". Are you even paying attention?

Not to mention that we don't know how much he was offered in wages by us. Maybe not enough. Just because we can pay, doesn't mean we always offer.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Atrocious defending from the center halves
A bit, but great to see the forwards tracking back to the half line to ensure they were onside, then for the back to realize that he could play a ball easily & there would be a bunch of attackers running after it.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I said money in Raiola's and daddy's pockets and you are responding about "wages". Are you even paying attention?

Not to mention that we don't know how much he was offered in wages by us. Maybe not enough. Just because we can pay, doesn't mean we always offer.
Line their pockets? ffs.The fact that you think this is an option let alone something to criticize the club for shows you truly don't know what you're talking about. You should read up about Sandro Rosell and the Neymar transfer. Are you paying attention?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
A bit, but great to see the forwards tracking back to the half line to ensure they were onside, then for the back to realize that he could play a ball easily & there would be a bunch of attackers running after it.
Agreed. But the center halves didn't even react to the movement. They were just standing in their own half.

Jibbs

If we could pay 80 m for maguire... 60 m for Martial, 55 m for Fred, we should have just paid 20 m each to Raiola and Haaland snr for once in a generation talent like him. This guy is as good as Mbappe. We'd have gottten a talent like that for quarter of that amount. And we all know Pogba wants to leave... just sell him already. Get 100 m and get it done with.

Son

Im still waiting for the likes of Lewa to rip open the latter part of the CL where he's not playing teams from bum feck nowhere because much like Ibrah, he's failed to deliver massively in that regard.
You realise Lewa scored 4 goals past Real Madrid in a Champions League semi-final for Dortmund right?

He kinda made history that night and it’s one of the greatest European performances of all time.

He’s done more than enough in the Champions League much like Van Nistelrooy who never scored much in the later rounds. Still one of the CL’s greatest ever players imo.

NewGlory

Line their pockets? ffs.The fact that you think this is an option let alone something to criticize the club for shows you truly don't know what you're talking about. You should read up about Sandro Rosell and Neymar transfer. Are you paying attention?
I am paying attention. Raiola gets insane comissions off of transfers for a reason. He was paid £20M when we truly wanted Pogba, and he made it happen. If you think Pogba couldn't have gone somewhere else… And it's not like Haaland was dead-set on not coming to United. He just needed a proper nudge.

Unless you are part of the football transfer elite, somehow having enough time to post on Caf, you don't know anything more about inner-workings of deals than I do, so no need for the schooling tone.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Agreed. But the center halves didn't even react to the movement. They were just standing in their own half.
I'm not sure how good Augsburg is, but to be three-nil up, then to capitulate like that, is pretty shit. You are right, the sluggishness with which the backs reached to that ball while being so high up the pitch was shocking.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I am paying attention. Raiola gets insane comissions off of transfers for a reason. He was paid £20M when we truly wanted Pogba, and he made it happen. If you think Pogba couldn't have gone somewhere else… And it's not like Haaland was dead-set on not coming to United. He just needed a proper nudge.

Unless you are part of the football transfer elite, somehow having enough time to post on Caf, you don't know anything more about inner-workings of deals than I do, so no need for the schooling tone.
Wait. Didn't you just tell me I was naive and not paying attention? Short memory I suppose.

Just to recap, you're suggesting the club should have paid his father under the table and then blaming them for not doing so.

NewGlory

Just to recap, you're suggesting the club should have paid his father under the table and then blaming them for not doing so.
Both father and Raiola. But are you saying this "under the table" to add more drama? Daddy Haaland and Raiola both acted as representatives to junior and could have been paid very much over the table. This ain't some kind of crime movie. Pouring agents with money to get things done is part of normal business for "super-agents"

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You realise Lewa scored 4 goals past Real Madrid in a Champions League semi-final for Dortmund right?

He kinda made history that night and it’s one of the greatest European performances of all time.

He’s done more than enough in the Champions League much like Van Nistelrooy who never scored much in the later rounds. Still one of the CL’s greatest ever players imo.
And yet, not a single fecking gong next to his name. Ruud is a great striker and a premier league legend, but he was in a club at the time (much like Lewa) who should have won champions leagues and didnt. They're the focal points of attack.

People give Ronaldo shit because he's often market out of finals but he virtually gets them there on his own.

In Rainbows

So looking at those stats Sancho is about as good as Micki before we bought him?
I think a little better stats per minute basis, plus he's doing it at a much younger age so better chance at improving, and his dribbling stats are superior. Also Micki's last season looks more like a lucky season considering his other seasons weren't great. Sancho is already showing greater consistency. If you were to rank the seasons from those 2 players, Sancho's 2 seasons would be in the top 3 while Micki's 2 seasons would be the 4th and 5th best out of a total of 5.