Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It makes massive sense when the reality is he can get a BIG move in the summer of 2022 and end up on a £300k a week contract somewhere. If Dortmund are happy to be a stepping stone then good for them but it's a small club mentality.
What you could view as 3 year loan deal for the young striker in the world is not a bad things especially if your team can't score goals and lacks strikers.

Flanders Devil

It makes massive sense when the reality is he can get a BIG move in the summer of 2022 and end up on a £300k a week contract somewhere. If Dortmund are happy to be a stepping stone then good for them but it's a small club mentality.
Even after 8 goals in 4 games and not many minutes, people are still justifying not signing him (if given the chance) just because of a buyout clause?

He'sRaldo

Even after 8 goals in 4 games and not many minutes, people are still justifying not signing him (if given the chance) just because of a buyout clause?
One of the big clubs will simply buy him after the 2 years, so yeah it is a bit of a small club mentality IMO.

None of Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, etc will be freaking out over his move to Dortmund, because they're big clubs. That clause will only help them so they're probably pleased with the BVB move.

Gehrman

One of the big clubs will simply buy him after the 2 years, so yeah it is a bit of a small club mentality IMO.

None of Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, etc will be freaking out over his move to Dortmund, because they're big clubs. That clause will only help them so they're probably pleased with the BVB move.
They are not 7th in the table either with their best striker out with a long term injury.

He'sRaldo

They are not 7th in the table either with their best striker out with a long term injury.
So we're a small club now because we're currently 7th? We've come 2nd in the top league very recently, and won more than quite a few other clubs. Don't sell us short just yet!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So The Sun is claiming Dortmund persuaded him to snub us by showing video of their fans in the "yellow wall". If true - if - did no one at OT point out our history and massive support? Probably not with the way things are going...

Gehrman

So we're a small club now because we're currently 7th? We've come 2nd in the top league very recently, and won more than quite a few other clubs. Don't sell us short just yet!
We are not a small club, but quickly becoming one on the pitch.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So The Sun is claiming Dortmund persuaded him to snub us by showing video of their fans in the "yellow wall". If true - if - did no one at OT point out our history and massive support? Probably not with the way things are going...
That's what did it, that damn video.

Suv666

He's brilliant, shame he chose BVB. To Ole's credit we did try to sign him. Cant really blame Woodward or Ole for this one.

AaronRedDevil

Ok are we supposed to talk about haaland non stop. It's just plain stupid to continue talking about this guy. It's like an episode of YOU.

Flanders Devil

We have Iglaho on a loan deal instead :)
If he scores at half of Haaland’s rate I will gladly eat a health dose of humble pie!

I do get your argument, and this premise.

One of the other posters on here said it a lot better (and longer) than I did, but in a nutshell: I just think the reality of where we are now, signing him with a buyout clause - whilst not ideal - isn’t a bad move at all.

I would also argue that a big club mentality is ‘well keep you after x years even with a buy out clause, because we are where you’ll want to be’.

And to the point about those other clubs worrying about Dortmund, I agree that they aren’t worried because they don’t need him as much now. We do. And if we had signed him, I’m sure they would be a lot more Worried. Because if nothing else, they know they’ll have to pay him a lot more at the end of the release clause (if it does get activated).

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
that's what the papers are saying but the point I am making is maybe we didn't try hard enough
I think the reality is just that Dortmund is, right now, a far superior option to Man United. Easier to settle in, a bit less pressure and a pretty good squad. He's very young and he definitely made the right choice. United will still be chasing him in 2 or 3 years if they can get back to the top. I honestly never thought he would choose United when german clubs were thrown into the mix. Far easier and healthier transition for him.

Paul_Scholes18

He will follow the Ole curve. Start great and then score the winner against PSG from howlers. Then turn to shit and score once per 10 games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would have loved to see the player here but boy am I happy to stop seeing the goals per minute thing - because it was becoming irritating how he was used as a symbol of our bad times even though he clearly didn't want to be here.

First relatively competitive club he played and he struggled to use his weaker right foot aswell.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think he did pretty alright, worked hard, took part in a lot of attacks. Just wasn't really set up with a huge chance.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Maybe Manchester United would benefit from having a small-club mentality? Living in the past hasn't exactly worked out since Fergie left.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe Manchester United would benefit from having a small-club mentality? Living in the past hasn't exactly worked out since Fergie left.
Yeah you’re right. A club that’s in the top 3 in the world should be putting buyout clauses in players contracts so they can league for bigger clubs after a couple of seasons...