Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean you're the type of poster who would be the first to moan had we got him then then lost him for the rumoured £60m in 2022 to maybe City or Liverpool etc.

It's easy to say we should have got him now and worry about what happens in 2022 later. But when that time came you'd all change your tune. That release clause in his contract is very small time in my opinion. Imagine if he really settles in Germany and moves to Bayern. Dortmund fans will be gutted.

I think we did the right thing in the end. He may have still chosen Dortmund anyway as well lets not forget. It wasn't a foregone conclusion he would choose United.
Am I the only one who finds it funny that you guys are happily attesting Dortmund 'small club mentality' when the biggest issue most United fans had with the release clause is that City or Liverpool would steal Haaland from you anway once it is activated?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell like a clock, everyday with same boring posts.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Am I the only one who finds it funny that you guys are happily attesting Dortmund 'small club mentality' when the biggest issue most United fans had with the release clause is that City or Liverpool would steal Haaland from you anway once it is activated?
That is actually the thing that always baffles me as well. A lot of people seem to assume, that Haaland having that clause would mean that he would leave the first chance he gets. I see a release clause in a hypothetical United contract (I don't think he went to Dortmund because United did not want to grant him his wishes, so this is all hypothetical, as is most of the discussion here) as a form of insurance for the player to be able to leave if things at United don't go his way. This can mean that either he does not get to play as much or in the positions he wants to or the club is not doing as well as he may have hoped it would. What a lot of people don't seem to consider is the possibility that Haaland could have been extremely successful at United as well and then he may not have wanted to leave. Because, you know, United is one of the biggest clubs in the world and all that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I mean you're the type of poster who would be the first to moan had we got him then then lost him for the rumoured £60m in 2022 to maybe City or Liverpool etc.

It's easy to say we should have got him now and worry about what happens in 2022 later. But when that time came you'd all change your tune. That release clause in his contract is very small time in my opinion. Imagine if he really settles in Germany and moves to Bayern. Dortmund fans will be gutted.

I think we did the right thing in the end. He may have still chosen Dortmund anyway as well lets not forget. It wasn't a foregone conclusion he would choose United.
I am?? feck... :)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I am?? feck... :)
Easy to say now that you'd not mind if he was taken off us in 2 years. People forget your position from 2 years previous.

Do you think us signing him and having the potential of Liverpool or City lurking in the background would have made good business sense?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Easy to say now that you'd not mind if he was taken off us in 2 years. People forget your position from 2 years previous.

Do you think us signing him and having the potential of Liverpool or City lurking in the background would have made good business sense?
I am not saying that i will not be pissed if he leaves after 2,5 years. I am saying IF we had a chance and refused to sign him because of clause, 100% we made a mistake. It is business in which you can't fail.
Scenario 1.
Haaland fails to reach potential. You can still sell him and get most of money back.
Scenario 2.
Haaland plays well and you lose him for 60 mil. You had a player who helped you to get results and you earned profit on him
Scenario 3.
City, Liverpool, Juve...come after 2 years and offer 60 mil. It is still on Haaland. Maybe after 2 years we are the champions of England or we have title challenge team in which he is main player and he is very happy here. Not to mention that we can offer him the same money as other clubs so we don't need to be afraid that we will lose him because of that.

I am sorry but it is false logic. Lets don't sign player because after 2,5 years he will maybe leave club.

romufc

I am sorry but it is false logic. Lets don't sign player because after 2,5 years he will maybe leave club.
How is it false logic? 2021 is next year. We are not barely getting top 4, how do you think we will challenge next year.

Great logic, buy a player represented by an agent who is publicly having a go at your manager and club, then if he performs and the team does well, his agent will find him a new club knowing there is a £60m release clause. That is poor business all round.

We are not a club players come for work experience.

Secondly, Raiola is very clever by inserting a £60m release clause, he knows there will be no bidding war for the transfer fee but there will be one for his signature. In 2 years he will get 4/5 clubs to go for him and he will go to the club that gives Railoa the biggest bonus.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How is it false logic? 2021 is next year. We are not barely getting top 4, how do you think we will challenge next year.

Great logic, buy a player represented by an agent who is publicly having a go at your manager and club, then if he performs and the team does well, his agent will find him a new club knowing there is a £60m release clause. That is poor business all round.

Secondly, Raiola is very clever by inserting a £60m release clause, he knows there will be no bidding war for the transfer fee but there will be one for his signature. In 2 years he will get 4/5 clubs to go for him and he will go to the club that gives Railoa the biggest bonus.
Again, how do you know that he will want to leave? Maybe he will stay. If you say Raiola will be the reason, what prevents us to give Raiola reason to keep him here? And even if he leaves so what?? He would not be a player who will learn how to play here and because of that our results will suffer. He is already a player who is good enough to play in this team. So again and again; if he leaves 2022 we still had good player those 2 years and earned money on him.

Man, i am sick of this small club mentality around this club this season. From manager to some fans. "If City or Liverpool come he will leave". What are we? Everton?

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

• You seem to be one of the people subscribing to the theory that the player does what Raiola wants and not the other way around - which I don't really understand since it is the players will that Raiola pushes through.
  • Why do you think Haaland would want to leave if he does well? Isn't that precisely the kind of small club mentality people complain about here? I would assume he would find it great and would want to stay?
  • You say he would go to the club that gives Raiola the biggest bonus (of course there will especially be a sign on fee going to the player). What makes you think that that club can't be United? Just pay him a signing fee for extending the contract and you're golden.

romufc

Again, how do you know that he will want to leave? Maybe he will stay. If you say Raiola will be the reason, what prevents us to give Raiola reason to keep him here? And even if he leaves so what?? He would not be a player who will learn how to play here and because of that our results will suffer. He is already a player who is good enough to play in this team. So again and again; if he leaves 2022 we still had good player those 2 years and earned money on him.

Man, i am sick of this small club mentality around this club this season. From manager to some fans. "If City or Liverpool come he will leave". What are we? Everton?

To the contrary actually, a big club mentality is not bow down to agents putting in clauses that are actually ridiculous.

Well, clearly he has no loyalties to Manutd, so if a team came in and activated the release clause, we have no option but to let go.

We don't need to make money, realistically we would have made £20m on him, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering a new striker then will cost over £100m

Lastly, you do realise we are in a rebuild process so we are looking for players who will want to be here in the long run. We cannot have a transfer saga of will he/ wont he leave like Pogba for years because it is disruptive to the squad.

romufc

• You seem to be one of the people subscribing to the theory that the player does what Raiola wants and not the other way around - which I don't really understand since it is the players will that Raiola pushes through.
  • Why do you think Haaland would want to leave if he does well? Isn't that precisely the kind of small club mentality people complain about here? I would assume he would find it great and would want to stay?
  • You say he would go to the club that gives Raiola the biggest bonus (of course there will especially be a sign on fee going to the player). What makes you think that that club can't be United? Just pay him a signing fee for extending the contract and you're golden.
1. I don't subscribe to it without reason. Have a look at De Ligt and the sage, it is media but if you read transcripts of hid interview, he thought he was going to Barca. Barca had a deal agreed until Juve decided they will pay more.

2. History, most players who have done well at Dortmund have left except Reus. Lewandowski, Sahin, Goetze, Hummels, Dembele, Auby, Gundogan. I am sure alot of them did like it at Dortmund.

3. Relationships with Mino are at an all time low, it seems Manutd do not want to bow down to his requests.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You're Halaand, either a) go to a club in turmoil, currently 7th, a point behind Sheffield United, that has a manager who has relegated Cardiff and managed in the cauldron of competition that is Norway, with a list of players who have joined and seen their careers blossom elsewhere or b) go to a team that continues to develop players, is in the UCL, plays attractive football, before going onto one of Europe's elite clubs in a big money move.

Take your United glasses off and realise, the player looked at us and thought, Dortmund is the better bet for me and my career.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
1. I don't subscribe to it without reason. Have a look at De Ligt and the sage, it is media but if you read transcripts of hid interview, he thought he was going to Barca. Barca had a deal agreed until Juve decided they will pay more.

2. History, most players who have done well at Dortmund have left except Reus. Lewandowski, Sahin, Goetze, Hummels, Dembele, Auby, Gundogan. I am sure alot of them did like it at Dortmund.

3. Relationships with Mino are at an all time low, it seems Manutd do not want to bow down to his requests.
1. I can't really comment on the de Ligt saga since I did not really follow that. I wonder why players would want Raiola as their agent if he does not act in their interest though.

2. I don't mean from Dortmund but the hypothetical situation that he did sign for United with a release clause. Why would he be in a hurry to leave there if he was doing well? Just because he has a release clause?

3. I guess this doesn't really make sense to discuss since you misunderstood me for the second point :)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To the contrary actually, a big club mentality is not bow down to agents putting in clauses that are actually ridiculous.

Well, clearly he has no loyalties to Manutd, so if a team came in and activated the release clause, we have no option but to let go.

We don't need to make money, realistically we would have made £20m on him, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering a new striker then will cost over £100m

Lastly, you do realise we are in a rebuild process so we are looking for players who will want to be here in the long run. We cannot have a transfer saga of will he/ wont he leave like Pogba for years because it is disruptive to the squad.
All players are mercs and will go if they have better offer. Forget that shit about "United through and through" and all other romantic shit. If Barca or Real come tomorrow and offer Rashford better terms regarding money and success he will leave. Same as Haaland, Pogba, De gea or any other player.

Only difference between them is how they behave during their time in club and during that situation when offer comes. Some are 100% pros( De gea) and some are prima-donnas( Pogba)

romufc

Barca or Real come tomorrow and offer Rashford better terms regarding money and success he will leave. Same as Haaland, Pogba, De gea or any other player
Ofcourse he will, but as a club, we could say fine you can have him for £150m like Liverpool done with Coutinho, Southampton with VVD, Leicester with Magure.

Having a £60m release clause gives you 0 negotiation power.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I respect Dortmund. Big club with fantastic fans and they are perfectly organised. But despite everything, Man Utd is level above. And to think that player chose them while having the same ( or better) offer from us is delusional.
You have many reports( now it is up to you will you believe it) that we didn't want to give him what Dortmund gave him. We give to dross players +100k per week contracts and overpay players from PL clubs but we decided to make a stand when we could have bought top talent.

We missed to buy Haaland for 17mil but we bought squad player from championship for that money ffs. Where is logic in that?
I had the same reaction when I heard he rejected AC Milan too. These reports make no sense.

TheReligion

Abusive
There's obviously more to the reason he's moved to Dortmund. The recent article in The Athletic stated he had agreed to move to United at a meeting with Ole and the club however when the window came around Raiola got involved and things changed. Then you had United briefing the media about the extortionate fees and release clause and Raiola firing back and using the Pogba situation to cause problems.

Ultimately it seems Haaland was happy to come to United however he's discussed things with Raiola and things changed. I can see why United wouldn't want to pay ridiculous fees and then be forced to insert a relatively low release clause. I can also see why they would pull out of the negotiations if they felt Raiola was mugging them off again, especially when you consider the club is trying to build a young team for the long term.

If you flat out believe Haaland simply turned United down you aren't looking at everything we know about the deal and what's been said before and after it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ofcourse he will, but as a club, we could say fine you can have him for £150m like Liverpool done with Coutinho, Southampton with VVD, Leicester with Magure.

Having a £60m release clause gives you 0 negotiation power.
Ignore him. He's clueless.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

I am absolutely not sorry that we had Suarez for three years before he left for Barcelona. Same as I am sure you aren't wishing Ronaldo never signed with you in the first place just because he then left for real Madrid.

Smores

I find this claim of the release clause being small time a bit hysterical. What's even more small time is rejecting a highly rated player because despite being a big club you're scared he'll want to leave at the first chance.

We must have a pretty big inferiority complex if we were so certain he wouldn't stay beyond a couple of years.

Jonno

I am absolutely not sorry that we had Suarez for three years before he left for Barcelona. Same as I am sure you aren't wishing Ronaldo never signed with you in the first place just because he then left for real Madrid.
Except the great difference is, Ronaldo won practically everything at Man United and the Ballon d'or. It was an essential part of his career success.

Suarez won nothing major at Liverpool and as such, wasn't an essential part of his success.

Two very different scenarios. Ronaldo leaving is probably more likened to Virgil leaving in 1-2 years having won everything.

cyberman

I find this claim of the release clause being small time a bit hysterical. What's even more small time is rejecting a highly rated player because despite being a big club you're scared he'll want to leave at the first chance.

We must have a pretty big inferiority complex if we were so certain he wouldn't stay beyond a couple of years.
You have to protect your investment. Theres a reason why major clubs dont accept these clauses and its got nothing to do with an inferiority complex.
Also came out today that Coub Brugges pulled out of a deal 12 months ago because Raiola wanted 30 percent of any sale.
Why not give him the keys to Old Trafford if we're accepting this shite

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Except the great difference is, Ronaldo won practically everything at Man United and the Ballon d'or. It was an essential part of his career success.

Suarez won nothing major at Liverpool and as such, wasn't an essential part of his success.

Two very different scenarios. Ronaldo leaving is probably more likened to Virgil leaving in 1-2 years having won everything.
The point is that you wouldn't be sorry you signed Haaland either if he tore up the league for three years and then left.

cyberman

W
Would you be sorry if Suarez joined us for a low clause instead of nearly joining Arsenal?
He literarlly almost left you before he kicked on after 2 seasons due to a clause.
Thats why theyre shit

romufc

The current one and Moyes.
Moyes wasnt looking to be the best manager.

I doubt if Ole is looking to manage Real, his dream was to manage Manutd. So hardly work experience for someone else...

Its not like getting a manager for two years with a buy out clause is it?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I am clueless?
Anyone who says we shouldn't have withdrawn from the process irrespective of the release fee is pretty clueless in my eyes. Note that Madrid, Barca, liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Bayern didn't move for him despite the incredibly low transfer fee. The "Raiola" clause put many clubs off it seems. Juve were the other club heavily linked with him other than United and Dortmund. No way they'd have agreed to that release fee either. It's got disaster waiting to happen written all over it.

Last edited:

romufc

Anyone who says we shouldn't have withdrawn from the process irrespective of the release fee is pretty clueless in my eyes. Note that Madrid, Barca, liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Bayern didn't move for him despite the incredibly low transfer fee. The "Raiola" clause put many clubs off it seems. Juve were the other club heavily linked with him other than United and Dortmund. No way they'd have agreed to that release fee either. It's got disaster waiting to happen written all over it.
He's doing well, which was expected as he is a very good striker. That does not mean you bow down to his agents requests.

It really frustrates me that these fans are having a go at the club for pulling out. Railoa has a history of favouring clubs that will pay him, no surprise that he prefers to take his clients to Juve over Barca and them because they pay more agent fees.

It was the same with us when we got Zlatan, Pogba, Mikhi, he used us to fill his pockets, the same fans who say so what if its two years, I would ask them to have a look at Pogba's antics over last two years.

I want the best players at United but not at any cost. we can be successful without having to deal with him.

mancan92

If we were doing well in the league and champions league after those two years. There is absolutely no way he would go to either of those two clubs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's doing well, which was expected as he is a very good striker. That does not mean you bow down to his agents requests.

It really frustrates me that these fans are having a go at the club for pulling out. Railoa has a history of favouring clubs that will pay him, no surprise that he prefers to take his clients to Juve over Barca and them because they pay more agent fees.

It was the same with us when we got Zlatan, Pogba, Mikhi, he used us to fill his pockets, the same fans who say so what if its two years, I would ask them to have a look at Pogba's antics over last two years.

I want the best players at United but not at any cost. we can be successful without having to deal with him.
Agreed. Fifa fanboys on here don't really think about the consequences.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
There's obviously more to the reason he's moved to Dortmund. The recent article in The Athletic stated he had agreed to move to United at a meeting with Ole and the club however when the window came around Raiola got involved and things changed. Then you had United briefing the media about the extortionate fees and release clause and Raiola firing back and using the Pogba situation to cause problems.

Ultimately it seems Haaland was happy to come to United however he's discussed things with Raiola and things changed. I can see why United wouldn't want to pay ridiculous fees and then be forced to insert a relatively low release clause. I can also see why they would pull out of the negotiations if they felt Raiola was mugging them off again, especially when you consider the club is trying to build a young team for the long term.

If you flat out believe Haaland simply turned United down you aren't looking at everything we know about the deal and what's been said before and after it.
And if the Athletic claims Haaland being a mindless drone remote controlled by MR, than it is so, right....