Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

R77

No surprise; another CL goal tonight.

No player has ever scored more goals in his first 10 apps in the Champions League. Here is the top 4 list:

Haaland - 12
Kane - 9
Mane - 9
S. Inzaghi - 9

Not even a close competition.

Messi needed 25 matches to reach 12 CL goals
R9 needed 32 games to reach 12 CL goals
CR7 needed 47....
Statements like this......

Rooney (19) - 200 min/goal, 147 min/contribution
Rooney (20) - 212 min/goal, 139 min/contribution

Haaland (19 Only Dortmund) - 80 min/goal, 68 min/contribution
Haaland (20 so far) - 86 min/goal, 63 min/contribution

How? Why?
Crazy. Yet I've read he's likely just the next Lukaku. The Rooney stats are kinda unfair though. He was never really an out and out striker, one or two seasons aside.

Woodzy

Can Ole convince him to join us? Ole's first real test.

Jokes aside, if we somehow manage to pull off both Haaland and Sancho it would be incredible.
I personally think Sancho is dead in the water now, and I really wouldn’t mind if it meant we could get Haaland.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally think Sancho is dead in the water now, and I really wouldn’t mind if it meant we could get Haaland.
I personally think this will happen.

If United make a mark on the CL quarter/semi finals and compete for the league but fail by a couple of points - I can see why Ole would look at Haaland as the next step up and vice versa, Haaland liking the fact he can help Utd be successful again, gaining the attention and working with a manager he also respects.

It all depends on whether we are able to make the step up and attract top players again. Us just fighting for 4th spot wont be good enough.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's undoubtedly going to be an elite level striker, yet I've this unshakeable feeling that I don't want him at United.

I simply don't trust him to be anything more than someone who uses us for a big pay day and an eventual transfer to another big club.

He seems arrogant but in a cold way whereas Zlatan's arrogance is coupled with charm and humour.

Him being a Leeds fan and his father being a former city player don't scream somebody who wants to be a United legend but rather an elite James Milner.

Some players as good as they are just aren't right for certain clubs. The only thing that I see attracting him to United is Ole but how long will Ole even be here?

Varun

Staff
He's undoubtedly going to be an elite level striker, yet I've this unshakeable feeling that I don't want him at United.

I simply don't trust him to be anything more than someone who uses us for a big pay day and an eventual transfer to another big club.

He seems arrogant but in a cold way whereas Zlatan's arrogance is coupled with charm and humour.

Him being a Leeds fan and his father being a former city player don't scream somebody who wants to be a United legend but rather an elite James Milner.

Some players as good as they are just aren't right for certain clubs. The only thing that I see attracting him to United is Ole but how long will Ole even be here?
Given he asked for a release clause and his comments about trying out different leagues etc, that's a given. How long he stays and the output you get in that time + the fee when he leaves is what it's all about.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Given he asked for a release clause and his comments about trying out different leagues etc, that's a given. How long he stays and the output you get in that time + the fee when he leaves is what it's all about.
That's the thing, United's not a team where you come for a couple of seasons and leave for greener pastures, United should be a team where you spend the best years of your career winning trophies.

I love Ronaldo but his transfer to Madrid did make us feel small.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

Yeah, he comes across as a bit of a prick, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think he'd fit United rather well (but I lowkey hope he'll be our Lewandowski replacement). Also, I'd say he alread is an elite level striker. Bangs them in with the best.
Him growing up a Leeds fan means nothing in my opinion. He's a pro. It doesn't matter whom players supported when they were children. The days of one club men are pretty much over. Apart from a select few, players don't go pro to become club legends, but football legends (and rich), so if you want to wait for Mr. Perfect who only wants to play for United, you'll grow old and grey waiting.

Eriku

That’s a cultural trait of people from his area of Norway. They’re known for being laconic. Brief and detached in their humour. It’s there, just buried deeply.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Same with me. Ferguson would never sign him if he new he was dreaming of Real or Barca.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't mind it. I don't really understand the argument of not wanting players because they can't commit. Look at Zlatan, he moved about all his career and yet you'd take him in a heartbeat if given the opportunity because he's a fantastic player to watch. Besides, who's to say a player like that doesn't come to us and love it and stay.

Varun

Staff
I don't mind it. I don't really understand the argument of not wanting players because they can't commit. Look at Zlatan, he moved about all his career and yet you'd take him in a heartbeat if given the opportunity because he's a fantastic player to watch. Besides, who's to say a player like that doesn't come to us and love it and stay.
Yeah, pretty much on the same boat as long as it's not a ridiculous release clause like they wanted last time.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

I find Zlatan's arrogant act one of the most cringy things in football. It's rather childish, and not even remotely funny.
Haaland's 'arrogance' on the other hand seems almost like an inside joke with his friends/teammates. I always feel like his teammates are slightly out of camera-view laughing their heads off and he knows it. He seems to poke fun at it too, on instagram.

I feel like Haaland is just enjoying himself not caring so much about how the media perceives it, while Zlatan even at 40 years old says stupid things that I used to say when I was 13.

United Junkie

That's the thing, United's not a team where you come for a couple of seasons and leave for greener pastures, United should be a team where you spend the best years of your career winning trophies.

I love Ronaldo but his transfer to Madrid did make us feel small.
I dont understand this. I really dont. We all knew he was evantually going to Madrid. It was all written in the stars at least for me. I honestly cant believe that there were United guys thinking he would be with us all the way through his thirties. I mean Figo for christ sakes went from Barcelona to Madrid. Surely money played a role but being a Madrid player and being part of the biggest club in Europe meant much more so. And the same is probably gonna happen with Haaland if we get him. But at least we could squeez some friggin' big titles out of him just like we did with Ronaldo.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, pretty much on the same boat as long as it's not a ridiculous release clause like they wanted last time.
Yeah, I don't get this stuff at all. If you can get a great player to join your team, where's the downside? This talk about about United being too big to be a stepping stone just sounds insecure: if the club is so big, the player won't move away; if it isn't, then you're just lucky.to have had him.
I find Zlatan's arrogant act one of the most cringy things in football. It's rather childish, and not even remotely funny.
Haaland's 'arrogance' on the other hand seems almost like an inside joke with his friends/teammates. I always feel like his teammates are slightly out of camera-view laughing their heads off and he knows it. He seems to poke fun at it too, on instagram.

I feel like Haaland is just enjoying himself not caring so much about how the media perceives it, while Zlatan even at 40 years old says stupid things that I used to say when I was 13.
Totally agree on Zlatan. Can't stand him. Give me understated any day of the year.

Bebestation

Thank god theres people that cant stand Zlatan. Was my favourite player in his first stint at AC milan but the more I got to know his ego the more I couldnt stand him.

Especially in the UK after his long distance bicycle goal vs England- it blew the hype for him which he always was wanting. Cant stand it. such a selfish egotistical player.

Dowsnt surprise me he is a Raiola player and doesnt surprise me that he didnt win a CL.

Eriku

I thought you guys all* had polar bears and reindeer. Is there a latitude where that sort of stops?

*not literally, but almost
Nah, gotta go off the mainland to Svalbard to find polar bears, and raindeer are only in the northern half of the country.

Glad I could provide valuable context to the Haaland thread.

Dyslexic Untied

Nah, gotta go off the mainland to Svalbard to find polar bears, and raindeer are only in the northern half of the country.

Glad I could provide valuable context to the Haaland thread.
Off topic here, but I have to correct animal stuff. Reindeer are not only in the northern part of the country. There are loads of them in the mountains in central and southern Norway. You are right on the polar bears though:)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
To think we could’ve had him for 20m if we weren’t so effing rubbish at the time.

Cloud7

Posters still had him behind Mbappe in a comparison the other day
Prior to the start of this season if you gave me a choice I would have still chosen Mbappe, but what Haaland has continued to do is something else. He is definitely the young player in world football right now.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This boy is literally like a Blonde Terminator. Even speaks like one.

Eriku

Off topic here, but I have to correct animal stuff. Reindeer are not only in the northern part of the country. There are loads of them in the mountains in central and southern Norway. You are right on the polar bears though:)
What, Niall put you in charge of fish and wildlife? :lol:

Cheers for the correction, though. Had no idea.

Back to the topic: Good lord, I wonder if the lad can keep improving! Hard to imagine him putting these numbers up consistently, but then he just seems to have all he needs to do just that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Raiola did a great job with the release clause, because knowing Dortmund they would otherwise be demanding 200 mil € for him.

Bebestation

Raiola did a great job with the release clause, because knowing Dortmund they would otherwise be demanding 200 mil € for him.
Its probably what he still goes for but Raiola gets the extras over the release clause.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
He's an absolute goal scoring machine. I was wary of giving him too much praise because of the hype over the last 12 months. But he is the real deal.

I'd hate to think what his buyout clause would be currently (if he has one).

Hopefully the lights of the Premier League can lure him here. We need more high quality players.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Us missing out on him last year is going to haunt us for years.
I don't think he'd have anywhere near the same performances if he played in this current United squad. He's not going to create goals on his own, and the team struggles terribly creating chances for the forwards.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He is making a mockery of the CL. In the space of 14 months he already has the same amount of goals as the likes of fat Ronaldo and Adriano.

RoyH1

I don't think he'd have anywhere near the same performances if he played in this current United squad. He's not going to create goals on his own, and the team struggles terribly creating chances for the forwards.
Agree. A player has to land in the right situation in order to produce. While I do not doubt Haaland will be a good player regardless of where he lands, I dont think he'd be breaking records with our current setup.
I just hope he doesn't end up in Liverpool. Nightmare fuel.