Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

croadyman

City showed they were right to turn down Spurs' valuation of Kane, they only end up paying far less for a much better long-term prospect. I just hope Haaland can put his injury woes behind him, because he's about to enter a much more physical league which he seems built for, in a team that's going to provide him with plenty of opportunities to score. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the league if he manages to stay fit.
I had a feeling this would be the end result if City baulked at Kane valuation and so its proved

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It's the final piece of the jigsaw City really needed. The league has no chance next season.

At least it stops Liverpool winning I guess.
That’s the take I thought most of you would agree with. As long as it stops Liverpool then let City keep getting bigger and better and dominate the league like no ever has, more than even the great Liverpool and united teams in years past. Great isn’t it.

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
Harland is a top player, he was fantastic in Germany but so was Sancho.

roseguy64

I think a lot of posters here are very dramatic, of a young age or just utterly depressive. Whichever it is it’s a strange concoction and makes the Caf become a bit of a negative cesspit.

I genuinely don’t know how some of them function with normal day to day challenges and set backs.
I've just learned to ignore most of it tbh.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Surprisingly im not very bothered by them signing him, I don't think he'll make much of a difference in the long run.

I also absolutely hate his guts and despised his pa so I guess its fitting seeing him play for them lot.

Red_toad

It would if it were true. Mind you 80 mill for Maguire is sickening enough on its own.
Both clubs paid whatever the other club was willing to sell for. I fail to see why people get so hung up on it. Not like the other half has been off to Harrods and maxed the credit card...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So the release clause is just £51.1m. It is an absolute bargain regardless of sign on fee and agent fee. City will probably sell Jesus and Sterling in summer to make room for his arrival.
Even if the agent fee/sign on fee are huge?
Sure we don’t know the detail here, but with in minds how much Riaola had earned from Pogba deal, and how long he has planned for Haaland deal (his most priced assests), it would be safe to assume that the additional fee behind the deal would be huge.

The lower release clause would means larger chunk of money would go to agent/dad/players’ hand.

SAFMUTD

Feck Haaland, he'll be injury prone and never reach the potential.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Even if the agent fee/sign on fee are huge?
The reported total fee is 86m. Even 186m is a good deal consider how much it will cost real Madrid to sign Mbappe for "free", or how much it will cost PSG to renew his contract. A proven striker is very expensive in today's market and he is only 22.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The reported total fee is 86m. Even 186m is a good deal consider how much it will cost real Madrid to sign Mbappe for "free", or how much it will cost PSG to renew his contract. A proven striker is very expensive in today's market and he is only 22.
Well if the current reported figure is true then of course it’s a good deal. But we will have to wait and see if any more details regarding agent fee+dads fee+signing on fee would be released.

Previously it’s rumoured Riaola wants 40m for agent fee, and his dad wants another 30m on top of that, without counting how much Haaland wants for signing on fees. But since Riaola is no longer around, things could have changed abit. But given the likelihood that City would pay extra behind the “reported salary”, I won’t believe everything literally just as reported.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Both clubs paid whatever the other club was willing to sell for. I fail to see why people get so hung up on it. Not like the other half has been off to Harrods and maxed the credit card...
Player transfers have been inflated for quite a while now, perhaps since when PSG bought Neymar from Barcelona. I think United fans are so used to the club overpaying obscene money for average/good players has distorted their view on the value of players and it's something it happens in the Premier League overall, inflating the prices.

I thought that sell clause was something quite clever in order to keep the price down so the player doesn't end up in situations like with Pogba on United or more recently Harry Kane. There might be other payments we don't know about and the clubs might not be in love with the idea but it should give more control to the players.

iKnowNothing

So, United lose badly in the PL and they announce ETH. City lose the CL semis and they announce Haaland.

Looks like both clubs are equally focused on PR and headline management :lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Well if the current reported figure is true then of course it’s a good deal. But we will have to wait and see if any more details regarding agent fee+dads fee+signing on fee would be released.

Previously it’s rumoured Riaola wants 40m for agent fee, and his dad wants another 30m on top of that, without counting how much Haaland wants for signing on fees. But since Riaola is no longer around, things could have changed abit. But given the likelihood that City would pay extra behind the “reported salary”, I won’t believe everything literally just as reported.
In the end it doesn't matter as people believe what they want to believe. In this case it is not only city want Haaland, Haaland wants City as well as this is the club that can match his ambition to challenge for league title, CL, and ballon d'or. City is a well oiled machine and has one of the very best head coach in the world. EPL is also the most popular league and it can maximize his commercial value. This transfer went so smooth that there is zero noise from his camp.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's the first time I realise that we can complain about our club not going for players like Haaland, Thiago,Tchouameni and Fabinho - but ultimately we are just an ugly club that these players don't want to sleep with.

Di Maria literally left the next morning. Pogba got a virus etc.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In the end it doesn't matter as people believe what they want to believe. In this case it is not only city want Haaland, Haaland wants City as well as this is the club that can match his ambition to challenge for league title, CL, and ballon d'or. City is a well oiled machine and has one of the very best head coach in the world. EPL is also the most popular league and it can maximize his commercial value. This transfer went so smooth that there is zero noise from his camp.
Of course it’s good deal for both City and Haaland. City got best young striker in the game, and Haaland goes to the best possible club for trophies, global attention (PL) and money.

But people who believe this to be “bargain” deal is abit deluded. There are many big clubs reportedly pulling out from this deal in past couple of months because they simply couldn’t afford whole financial cost of the deal. I think this alone tells you something more than just the reported 85m figure.

shahzy

That’s the take I thought most of you would agree with. As long as it stops Liverpool then let City keep getting bigger and better and dominate the league like no ever has, more than even the great Liverpool and united teams in years past. Great isn’t it.
Consider me the opposite. I dont care about any of that tribal top red shit. Rather liverpool win than those souless cnuts. Atleast Klopp doesnt buy his way to sucess year on year

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Alfie Haaland played 38 games for City how is he their legend? how does he have connection to the club? this has nothing to do with it. Its purely for money and maybe some trophies under Pepe the Guardiola. When Pep leaves he will probably feck off.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Who do you think the next manager at City might be to get the best out of Haaland in the future?

Zetrio2002

Dortmund had one of the worst negotiating departments. How come they sell one of the best strikers in the world for so low?

It's the same with their past strikers like Aubameyang and lewandowski.

But at least Man utd got Sancho for lower than initial fees quoted 2 years ago.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

It's a great addition for City & it's amazing the cost is only 51m. Why don't we get such deals?

It's a great addition for City & it's amazing the cost is only 51m. Why don't we get such deals?
Because he had a buyout clause. It's also not including the literally hundreds of millions he and his family will get over the course of the contract.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I think you have missed the point completely (or conveniently)

There is a huge difference between generating revenue based on footballing success and then spending that on players to build on that footballing successes and being a crap team with no footballing success and buying players with money that has no connection with football to simply buy success that wasn’t there
You see - this is the trap that some United fans keep falling into. Constantly using City as a diversionary tactic for the ongoing failings at your own club. You can moan about City's lottery win as much as you like (in any case, it's not like United haven't had lottery wins themselves during their history as both John Henry Davies and James Gibson would testify if they were still alive today but I digress), but the fact remains that over the past decade United have been the world's highest net spenders and I think it's fair to say that you haven't come close to getting enough bang for your buck. Indeed, I think it wouldn't be that outrageous to suggest that in relative terms of outlay over such an extended period or time, United must be up there as returning the least amount of success than any other club on the planet. Ever. No amount of complaining about City changes that and it's hardly City's fault that you've been so badly run as a club since Ferguson retired. And there really is no excuse for that considering how much you've splashed out.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Because he had a buyout clause. It's also not including the literally hundreds of millions he and his family will get over the course of the contract.
Nor should it. I never saw anyone talking about Sancho’s overall financial shift including wages, add-on fees etc. You can’t accept the fact that City have made an absolute steal here so you start adding on everything so there’s something to complain about.

TheReligion

Abusive
You see - this is the trap that some United fans keep falling into. Constantly using City as a diversionary tactic for the ongoing failings at your own club. You can moan about City's lottery win as much as you like (in any case, it's not like United haven't had lottery wins themselves during their history as both John Henry Davies and James Gibson would testify if they were still alive today but I digress), but the fact remains that over the past decade United have been the world's highest net spenders and I think it's fair to say that you haven't come close to getting enough bang for your buck. Indeed, I think it wouldn't be that outrageous to suggest that in relative terms of outlay over such an extended period or time, United must be up there as returning the least amount of success than any other club on the planet. Ever. No amount of complaining about City changes that and it's hardly City's fault that you've been so badly run as a club since Ferguson retired. And there really is no excuse for that considering how much you've splashed out.
Ahh yes I’ve seen this is the new delusion over on the blue side. That United are somewhat comparable to City due to the owner spending his own money over 100 years so ago. It’s beyond stupid and clutching at something which is in no way the same.

Utterly bizarre you can’t just accept what you are and deal with it instead of coming on to a United forum to try and justify yourselves. Everyone knows.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting that City are changing their recruitment strategy, especially when you consider most big transfers ultimately fail. Will also be interesting to see how Haaland fits into a Pep system, as it feels they're going down the United path of signing the best possible players available without any regard as to how they will fit them into the system.

Part of me hopes this is the beginning to the downfall, like when United went and signed Lukaku, Pogba etc and ruined the dressing room and wage structure, but I'm fairly sure Haaland will be some sort of success. Going to be really difficult to throw excuses out next season when they don't win the CL again after spending £200m on a striker.

Davie Moyes

Of course it’s good deal for both City and Haaland. City got best young striker in the game, and Haaland goes to the best possible club for trophies, global attention (PL) and money.

But people who believe this to be “bargain” deal is abit deluded. There are many big clubs reportedly pulling out from this deal in past couple of months because they simply couldn’t afford whole financial cost of the deal. I think this alone tells you something more than just the reported 85m figure.
Absolutely. I'm surprised at the number of posters that don't seem to get this.

Tavern in the town

The one silver lining is that half his goals seem to be him running in behind into 40 yards of open space which he’ll get a lot less of this season. If Hassenhutl is still Southampton manager next season Haaland may be the most triple captained footballer of all time in that fixture.

Nor should it. I never saw anyone talking about Sancho’s overall financial shift including wages, add-on fees etc. You can’t accept the fact that City have made an absolute steal here so you start adding on everything so there’s something to complain about.
Well that's because the value we agreed for Sancho was the actual value of the deal. There wasn't another 50m worth of agents fees and fathers fees to add to it, plus whatever will find its way into a hidden bank account in Abu Dhabi.

Zen86

Ever since he moved to Dortmund my feelings were to stay clear of him. Him and his camp were clearly out to grab as much cash as possible and a move to City or PSG was inevitable at some point. One way or another, him coming here would’ve led to more Pogba-esque threats and rumblings of moving elsewhere and the kind of circus that goes along with that. He’s gone to one of the few clubs with a bottomless pit of cash. Haaland and City are a match made in heaven.

In a football sense, I’m sure he’ll score goals but any half decent striker starting in that team would. It doesn’t really matter if he succeeds or fails, they can trot him out for PR value here and there like they have with Grealish either way.

People always prophecise the end of all competition when City buy a new big name player, but that’s more or less already been the case for years anyway. It’s the endless conveyor belt of players big and small that ensures that, rather than the odd Haaland or Grealish acquisitions.

Zoo

Sam Lee from The Athletic said that Pep really wanted Kane last year but since then has had to be convinced a bit by City's board about signing Haaland.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Interesting that City are changing their recruitment strategy, especially when you consider most big transfers ultimately fail. Will also be interesting to see how Haaland fits into a Pep system, as it feels they're going down the United path of signing the best possible players available without any regard as to how they will fit them into the system.

Part of me hopes this is the beginning to the downfall, like when United went and signed Lukaku, Pogba etc and ruined the dressing room and wage structure, but I'm fairly sure Haaland will be some sort of success. Going to be really difficult to throw excuses out next season when they don't win the CL again after spending £200m on a striker.
so if he's a £200m striker does that mean Real have signed at 29year old Rudiger as a £100m defender, and even if it is £200m Kane would have been closer to £250m in that case so it's still a better deal financially