Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Its not like Haaland at Dortmund improved them in any way.
They arguably got worse as a team, atleast initially. While Haaland certainly will not flop from an individual point of view I don't think he's going to mesh in that City team aswell as people think. Adding marquee signings to a dominant team doesn't always work out how it's meant too, someone has already mentioned the Veron/RVN summer at United and there's us adding Ballack/Cole to a back to back title team also.

Unfortuently however if my suspicions are proven right it will be Liverpool primed to pounce.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He may well be a twat but what did he do wrong there? The defender was trash talking him on several occasions in the second half.

This from the defender is the most ridiculous thing I've read today:

Maybe he's too thick to understand Norwegian but most people who speak one of these languages won't have any problems understanding the other.
I was going to say, that's a rather odd thing to say - when I see Swedes or Norwegians in Denmark, they don't ever speak English to get around. They speak Swedish or Norwegian and people speak Danish back to them. No-one has any problems understanding each other.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He may well be a twat but what did he do wrong there? The defender was trash talking him on several occasions in the second half.

This from the defender is the most ridiculous thing I've read today:

Maybe he's too thick to understand Norwegian but most people who speak one of these languages won't have any problems understanding the other.
I couldn’t care less what the defender did or didn’t say to him but bringing that stuff up in a post match interviews really just confirms that he’s a massive bell end (something that’s been obvious for a good while anyway)

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This transfer has brought almost zero attention in the larger scheme of things. It has done nothing for his personal brand. I'm surprised. It's like De Bruyne, he's one of the greatest players in the history of football, but he can't be placed on the same level as someone who has played for Liverpool, United or Arsenal. Even Chelsea.

With time maybe things will change.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
This transfer has brought almost zero attention in the larger scheme of things. It has done nothing for his personal brand. I'm surprised. It's like De Bruyne, he's one of the greatest players in the history of football, but he can't be placed on the same level as someone who has played for Liverpool, United or Arsenal. Even Chelsea.

This is just indicative of what Man City face I think. The only thing you can’t buy is history, you are forced to make it. So as you say, in 15 or 20 years when a large proportion of the football going/watching population have grown up with City as a global power things might change.

For what it’s worth I can think of several kids, who are children of my friends, who support city, but far less people aged 40 like me who do.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I couldn’t care less what the defender did or didn’t say to him but bringing that stuff up in a post match interviews really just confirms that he’s a massive bell end (something that’s been obvious for a good while anyway)
:lol: He was specifically asked about the confrontation. On one hand we complain about players giving emotionless robotic media-trained answers. On the other we complain when they don't. Players can't win it seems.

Samid

I was going to say, that's a rather odd thing to say - when I see Swedes or Norwegians in Denmark, they don't ever speak English to get around. They speak Swedish or Norwegian and people speak Danish back to them. No-one has any problems understanding each other.
Danish numbers are fecking weird but apart from that the communication is fairly straightforward.

Eriku

Gratifying to see the Swedes struggling to be gracious in defeat. Swedish people are fine, but their sporting press are so petty towards us.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I bet he will score 15-20 in the league, considering the number of cut-backs Man City wingers/fullbacks put into the box. That's not bad for a first season in the PL. The question is how much will this 'add to City's goals ... they average 95 goals in the PL over the last 4 years! My feeling is that De Bruyne and the other midfielders will be able to focus on 'creating' rather than also having to run into the box ... this will keep them fitter through the season.

Korwas

When United bought Ronaldo I felt that he would score alot but the team would score less goals than before. I think the same think will happen with City and Haaland.

RVN1991

The oil clubs did RM dirty. You can have history, prestige etc. but at the end of the day money matters more.

One thing is the official number. Another thing is the hidden stuff. Money in offshore accounts etc.
Poor old Madrid, how will they ever cope. The hilarious thing is that these sugar daddy clubs are following the Galactico strategy Madrid had a monopoly on, so miss me with that "money over prestige" BS, they were the oil clubs before Roman came along, no sympathy here, now that they can't compete financially they've actually gone with a smarter strategy of signing guys like Vini, Rodrygo and Camavinga before they blow up so it worked out in the end.

Last edited:

RVN1991

Hm, I think Haaland has showed way more potential than Agüero. His numbers and presence is almost unique. Perhaps the biggest goal scoring talent since Gerd Müller?
I think you might be showing your age. Aguero was considered an elite talent by the time he was 15. Maybe Halaand might become the better player but to say he has shown way more potential than Aguero did is absolutely way off the mark.

Reactions: Fortitude

ti vu

I know I’m going to grow to hate him. Such a pity. If Ole had somehow kept the wheels on I think he’d have been a Utd player this summer.
If we're reluctant by his previous release clause, then no chance we would have signed him now with another rumored release clause inserted in the contract.

Beside the release clause, he wanted guaranteed gametime that time we couldn't offer. Right now it's clearly he's after trophies, which we can't guarantee even if Ole survived again with a top 4 finish this season somehow. In the immediate future, Ole is up against Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte in the league.

The whole Norwegian preference is very lazily wishful thinking this time around, given that City is in a more attractive position and his dad played for City. He could have waited and gone to RM, but clearly already had his sight on City for a while. No way Ole only can persuade him to join us when us can't compete on Liverpool and City's level.

So don't hold back. Let the hatred flow.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What makes him s bellend here?

Also, I dont find it weird at all that he wants to play for City. His father played there, they have the best manager, a great squad and he gets paid alot.

Who the feck wouldnt
Players talk shit to each other on the pitch all the time. Have you ever heard any of them give this kind of detail about what a fellow pro said during a game?

Exactly.

I don’t find it weird he wants to play for City either.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we're reluctant by his previous release clause, then no chance we would have signed him now with another rumored release clause inserted in the contract.

Beside the release clause, he wanted guaranteed gametime that time we couldn't offer. Right now it's clearly he's after trophies, which we can't guarantee even if Ole survived again with a top 4 finish this season somehow. In the immediate future, Ole is up against Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte in the league.

The whole Norwegian preference is very lazily wishful thinking this time around, given that City is in a more attractive position and his dad played for City. He could have waited and gone to RM, but clearly already had his sight on City for a while. No way Ole only can persuade him to join us when us can't compete on Liverpool and City's level.

So don't hold back. Let the hatred flow.
:lol:

Andersonson

Players talk shit to each other on the pitch all the time. Have you ever heard any of them give this kind of detail about what a fellow pro said during a game?

Exactly.

Well, in Norway its been said several times after games. And Erling is Norwegian. There have been name calling for ever in football, thats correct, but calling each other faggots, whores etc need to be dealt with. There is a reason why there are '0' gay footballers, because of people defending shit like this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well, in Norway its been said several times after games. And Erling is Norwegian. There have been name calling for ever in football, thats correct, but calling each other faggots, whores etc need to be dealt with. There is a reason why there are '0' gay footballers, because of people defending shit like this.
Dunno why you bring homophobia into this. None of the (alleged) insults were homophobic.

Anderson_7_

Don't worry, he's going to bring the circus to town and the English media heads are going to love every second of it. He hasn't even been properly announced yet.

Skåre Willoch

When United bought Ronaldo I felt that he would score alot but the team would score less goals than before. I think the same think will happen with City and Haaland.
Really? I think he's the missing piece.

GlasgowCeltic

Fast forward to Pep leaving him out for the CL semis next season

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: He was specifically asked about the confrontation. On one hand we complain about players giving emotionless robotic media-trained answers. On the other we complain when they don't. Players can't win it seems.
They can by not squealing about things that happened in the heat of the moment on a football pitch in order to make themselves look cool. Then again, Haaland like Ibrahimovic seems to fancy himself as a "character" of football hopefully unlike the latter he does at some point realise that he comes across as a complete tool.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
He was asked what the swede said to him, and gave a straight answer. He scored like 30 secs later, which was also his point in the interview.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've said for a long time i don't think he'd suit City and I don't think he's the best footballer in terms of general build up play. And the type of goals he scored in Bundesliga where he'd run into acres of space 1v1 won't happen here either. He might fill a poacher type role but I don't think he's the best player for them.

Somebody like Joao Felix would be immense there, but that would be more a continuation of last season where he's not an out and out goalscorer but another very gifted player.

In my eyes prime Aguero was the best fit I've seen for City. It wouldn't surprise me if Julian Alvarez, or that profile of player, ousts Haaland within 2 or 3 years. This feels like when Pep signed Zlatan and tried to integrate him into a pure possession obsessed football team that was great because of the fluidity of the front line. If anything adding a focal point to their attack will finally give defenders something to target.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg

Exactly.

Got to be some class on the trash talk. To claim some "omerta" on whatever stinky stuff someone craps out, just because he's a "pro" is laughable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was asked what the swede said to him, and gave a straight answer. He scored like 30 secs later, which was also his point in the interview.
Amazing. Never heard of a player score after an on pitch squabble. Probably because they don't make a big deal out of it.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Amazing. Never heard of a player score after an on pitch squabble. Probably because they don't make a big deal out of it.
Maybe you should watch the interview? Since you assume he made a big deal out of it? He answered a straight question about the exchange, and he def earned to comment at it. Haaland scored, and the defender is now "injured" for the second leg on Sunday, that's it.

Needham

I'm totally complacent about this guy's contribution. He'll change the dynamic no more than another super wave at a Hawaiian beach.

abundance

Supports
Inter

Exactly.

I've heard that countless times...

Ridiculing a player that tried to intimidate and make you lose focus with trash-talking and then lost the game, that's part of football banter itself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I've heard that countless times...

Ridiculing a player that tried to intimidate and make you lose focus with trash-talking and then lost the game, that's part of football banter itself.
Countless times, my arse. “Football banter” is for dickheads only. So QED.

Anyway, I don’t know why any of this matters. He’s a known dickhead, with previous for being a prick. That time he screamed in the keepers face after scoring a penalty, for example. But that’s ok. He can be a bell end and very good at football. It’s that latter bit that matters. Why choose to die on the hill of him not being a dick?!

abundance

Supports
Inter

Anyway, I don’t know why any of this matters. He’s a known dickhead, with previous for being a prick. That time he screamed in the keepers face after scoring a penalty, for example. But that’s ok. He can be a bell end and very good at football. It’s that latter bit that matters. Why choose to die on the hill of him not being a dick?!
Rotfl, did he piss in your cheerios?

He's not different than countless other talented youngsters.

Some then learn that having the last word on provocations doesn't really add anything to their game and they outgrow this, some don't, but really there's nothing remarkable about that.

Eriku

For real, Pogue. Seems like you have an axe to grind. Either that or you’ve just been swayed by Caf wisdom about him being a cnut, which largely stems from a punchable face.

By the way, him shouting at the goalie was just him parroting back what the goalie shouted at him after he had missed a penalty earlier.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He looks like he is part of the evil dojo in Karate Kid. I'm with Pogue here.

Samid

Try watching the entire penalty sequence.

I’ve probably seen all his goals in senior football and the only times he reacts towards opponents is when they’ve provoked him earlier. You seem to be okay with opponents winding him up but if he fires back he’s a dick. That’s the weird hill to die on.

erikcred

Because they can pay him, his family, agents however much they want. Officially or unofficially. The clause just assures them (Haaland camp) of that. Why do you think virtually no City players left them safe for Sane? Lots of money outside of the books that makes sure any allure of Madrid, Barca, etc is irrelevant versus how much they make at ,can't even fill their stadium, City.
I don't know how a bigger deal isn't made out of this. No one finds it suspicious at all that even pre-Guardiola, world-class players like Aguero and Silva were not making any noise about wanting a "fresh challenge" in Germany or Italy or something. Real Madrid took Ronaldo off us and Mourinho off Inter in a matter of two summers. But KDB hasn't even had rumours linking him with a move there despite repeatedly failing in the CL at City?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't know how a bigger deal isn't made out of this. No one finds it suspicious at all that even pre-Guardiola, world-class players like Aguero and Silva were not making any noise about wanting a "fresh challenge" in Germany or Italy or something. Real Madrid took Ronaldo off us and Mourinho off Inter in a matter of two summers. But KDB hasn't even had rumours linking him with a move there despite repeatedly failing in the CL at City?
If you ignore Boateng, Sane and De Jong all leaving, (all 3 in cut price deals I might add), just last season Bernardo Silva asking to leave for Atletico who couldn't stump up the cash, along with Laporte wanting out. Not to mention Sterling is in the papers about leaving every 3 days and clearly running his contract down for a big move.

Aguero was also open to joining Barca according to Zubizareta but when City wouldn't budge on price Barca went for Suarez instead. That forward line could have very easily being MAN instead of MSN.

copen1945

Haaland looks a bargain, with each day and each transfer this window.