Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

Firmino’s teeth

Supports
Liverpool
Without him they are easily scoring 4, 5 past mid table teams.

With him on the side will be what, 8, 9?

432JuanMata

Anyone think he'll flop?
Injuries aside, I don’t see this at all. The trouble most players have with adapting to the PL is the strength and pace which isn’t a factor to him.
The fact he has 15 goals in 13 games in the CL for Dortmund and his record in CL shows he has no problem at the highest level.

With city’s attacking players I can see him scoring 20+ leagues goals easily

arnie_ni

Injuries aside, I don’t see this at all. The trouble most players have with adapting to the PL is the strength and pace which isn’t a factor to him.
The fact he has 15 goals in 13 games in the CL for Dortmund and his record in CL shows he has no problem at the highest level.

With city’s attacking players I can see him scoring 20+ leagues goals easily
I fear the same. I think everyone probably does

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Looks like we have entered the time for City when everything is about Haaland no matter what and every journalist will ask Haaland questions non stop for the rest of the year. It just feels like this will eventually turn players extremely sour

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Really interested in the thought process of Pep on this one. On paper it should be a match made in heaven: Team creating loads of big chances every single game buying a player that scores almost every shot he takes.

But I am curious as to how he will perform in a Pep team, as the latter never really liked playing with a traditional #9. And Haaland is a pure #9 personified. Don’t think he’ll have any problem with the pressing game City play, but I am wondering how he will do playing with his back against the goal and tight spaces.

His ability is of course best utilized with lots of space he can run into, City don’t play that type of game though. And admittedly I haven’t seen enough of him to know how he does in small spaces having to combine with others and maybe even be a target man for link-up play (the Benzema/Firminho type).

On the other hand, his movement off the ball could make it easier for City to break down the opposition and in Pep he has a manager who is able to improve players.

Think overall he will do okayish but might not tear it up as expected, could be wrong of course.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He'll be fine. He may struggle in his first season or so but Peps coaching will change and improve his game.

DepaysCowboyHat

Looks like we have entered the time for City when everything is about Haaland no matter what and every journalist will ask Haaland questions non stop for the rest of the year. It just feels like this will eventually turn players extremely sour

To be fair, he was obviously mimicking Haalands "signature" celebration so the question is valid. (Yeahyeah KdB can deny it but it was obvious)

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If he stays fit you would assume he scores a bunch of goals no problem, but one could wonder, how much can you really improve the offenses of a team that scores 90+ in the league just about every season?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
If he stays fit you would assume he scores a bunch of goals no problem, but one could wonder, how much can you really improve the offenses of a team that scores 90+ in the league just about every season?
I think he'll improve them in KO round games. In 6 years at City, Pep record in the cup games, 4 of 6 Carabao, 1 of 6 FA cups and 0 of 6 CL, so he's won 5 of 18 cup competition, 4 of the 5 were Carabao, which is the lowest cup competition. I'd assume a decisive forward would make a a difference there. League wise with or without a striker not much changes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seems the talk of the club having to convince Pep of the signing which will benefit them long beyond his time there, seems correct. Pep's comments on him post match don't sound like a manager who is happy to have gotten his man.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seems the talk of the club having to convince Pep of the signing which will benefit them long beyond his time there, seems correct. Pep's comments on him post match don't sound like a manager who is happy to have gotten his man.
He really isn't a pep type player, that's why I feel all the talk of them sweeping up the competition next year is a bit unwarranted.

Would be interesting to see who they would choose between him and pep if an irreconcilable fight broke out between the two.

Anderson_7_

KDB doesn't seem too happy either, judging by his performance yesterday. :lol:

Haaland already causing such a commotion and he hasn't even arrived yet.

Just gonna sit back and enjoy this circus.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Really interested in the thought process of Pep on this one. On paper it should be a match made in heaven: Team creating loads of big chances every single game buying a player that scores almost every shot he takes.

But I am curious as to how he will perform in a Pep team, as the latter never really liked playing with a traditional #9. And Haaland is a pure #9 personified. Don’t think he’ll have any problem with the pressing game City play, but I am wondering how he will do playing with his back against the goal and tight spaces.

His ability is of course best utilized with lots of space he can run into, City don’t play that type of game though. And admittedly I haven’t seen enough of him to know how he does in small spaces having to combine with others and maybe even be a target man for link-up play (the Benzema/Firminho type).

On the other hand, his movement off the ball could make it easier for City to break down the opposition and in Pep he has a manager who is able to improve players.

Think overall he will do okayish but might not tear it up as expected, could be wrong of course.
Maybe Pep will go 4-4-2 next season and surprise us all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe not much difference in league. But in cup games, especially CL knockout stages, every goals/small margin matters. If City had him vs Real, keeping in mind there were so many chances created/missed over 2 legs, they may have progressed to final with Haaland converting some of those chances.

Spielmacher

The thing with Haaland is, it feels like he would succeed under any manager and playing style. So even if Pep decides to leave, could be a huge asset at City for years to come.
Or we could laugh about our overzealous comments in 2 years, also a possibility.

Anyone think he'll flop?
He won’t flop. What could happen is a Ruud situation though.
City already score A LOT, which without a huge goalscorer means sharing them out throughout the team. Haaland will score lots in that team, but I doubt he will with make them as a team score much more.

He could be the difference in the biggest CL games for them, or like Ruud, it could be a situation where they are a slightly better team without him. We won’t know until he’s properly settled into City’s side.

It would if it were true. Mind you 80 mill for Maguire is sickening enough on its own.
Exactly.

If 51 + 35 is being reported, feck knows what dodgy as feck City deals have done because miles bigger clubs like Madrid could easily match that.

It’ll be 51 + 35 on the books, a dodgy as feck 30m off the books for his old fella, another massive Abu Dhabi sponsor payment system signing on fee for the player himself. Oh, and let’s not forget the usual Man City double wage system.

Put it this way, it’ll be a deal no other team (PSG or Newcastle aside) could possibly match, hence why they aren’t. But as always with City it’s about optics, I’ve no doubt they are paying more than they would have for Kane, but they can shout about this 51m deal and pretend they play to the same rule book as everyone else. It’s tailor made for them, some may even say Raiola knew exactly what he was doing when he arranged that Dortmund deal :lol:

Welbeckham

We should sometimes act less like a big club, just sign him from Salzburg, even with the release clause. Or sign Reguilon from Madrid, even with the buyback clause. Sign promising players straight from Championship or Ligue 1.

Having a good squad for a season or two would be a good start, but our recruitment is so hopeless. We overpay for everyone and give out new contracts for every useless piece of turd.

erikcred

Maybe not much difference in league. But in cup games, especially CL knockout stages, every goals/small margin matters. If City had him vs Real, keeping in mind there were so many chances created/missed over 2 legs, they may have progressed to final with Haaland converting some of those chances.
The new line should then be "Pep can't win the CL even with a billion pounds spent if doesn't have Messi or Haaland."

troylocker

My prediction if he stays injury free next season: 40+ goals in all comps, PL and CL trophy.

He is that good unfortunately. He will be decisive for them in the KO stages of CL. It hurts my soul that he'll play for the wrong Manchester club and receive his paychecks from a dictatorship.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Nope, I don’t have to repay the fee. Harry will be fine in a better system, either at United or elsewhere. Just your silly emotions letting it bother you.
Sigh! I support the club. If the club wastes 80 mill on a bad player it does have an effect. Unless it a club like City/PSG etc with a bottomless pit of cash . That 80 could have been spent a whole lot better.
As I watched Maguire lurch and lumber from one gaffe to another during this shit show of a season I have despaired, raged, been depressed and been angry, very angry .And when I compare him to some of our former captains it gets worse.
Now these are emotions any fan who has supported a club for over half a century ( as I have done) would have.
They most certainly are not silly.

copen1945

It is funny how Man City's composure goes out the window as soon as an important match in CL comes around. They will need Haaland to rescue them from their deficiency. Let's see whether he is not one of their expensive mercenaries who go missing on important occasions.

justsomebloke

This myth with striker not working out with his "system" needs to end. Which striker has scored less amount of goals after Pep's arrival?
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm just pointing out that based on how he's played so far and what City's system looks like currently, Haaland looks like a good fit in some respects, and like a less good fit in other respects. We'll see how it works out, but frankly I have a hard time envisaging that they won't be able to iron this out in a good way.

romufc

We should sometimes act less like a big club, just sign him from Salzburg, even with the release clause. Or sign Reguilon from Madrid, even with the buyback clause. Sign promising players straight from Championship or Ligue 1.

Having a good squad for a season or two would be a good start, but our recruitment is so hopeless. We overpay for everyone and give out new contracts for every useless piece of turd.
This is the worst take. Why would you want to sign a player, develop them, only for them to leave for £50m when he is worth over £100m?

Secondly, if you sign promising players and they do well, more chances they will leave. If they dont do well, they will stay.

So either way, its lose lose.

Red_toad

Sigh! I support the club. If the club wastes 80 mill on a bad player it does have an effect. Unless it a club like City/PSG etc with a bottomless pit of cash . That 80 could have been spent a whole lot better.
As I watched Maguire lurch and lumber from one gaffe to another during this shit show of a season I have despaired, raged, been depressed and been angry, very angry .And when I compare him to some of our former captains it gets worse.
Now these are emotions any fan who has supported a club for over half a century ( as I have done) would have.
They most certainly are not silly.
Ah well you’ll remember how disappointing Brazil and Davenport were, I hope you’ve gotten over them by now.

laughtersassassin

City are smarter than us if this is true. It's what we should have done a few years back when he joined Dortmund instead.

Worst case they get a few good years and a profit.

Best case they do so well he won't want to leave! Everyone wins.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

City are smarter than us if this is true. It's what we should have done a few years back when he joined Dortmund instead.

Worst case they get a few good years and a profit.

Best case they do so well he won't want to leave! Everyone wins.
I'm pretty sure we couldn't put that size of a buy out clause on Haaland when he wasn't even that well known pre-dortmund.

He had a buy out clause in mind and he got it.

laughtersassassin

I'm pretty sure we couldn't put that size of a buy out clause on Haaland when he wasn't even that well known pre-dortmund.

He had a buy out clause in mind and he got it.
I didn't say 150. Nothing wrong with buying for the price Dortmund did and selling for the price they did. It got them a few good years out of him.

You can bet anything City will have their usual Anti United Clause in that as they always do now. We could have done the same but where too proud to give someone a buyout clause.