Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I might be misunderstanding you but I never said it's smart business let alone that we should do it ourselves. City can do that because they can pay players, family and agents far more then any other team; that makes it far less likely that a player leaves, clause or no clause.
The poster I replied said it was smart business and we should have sign him instead of Dortmund and let him go for that 60m release clause. That‘s what my post was referring to. So when you told me it doesn’t matter, of course it matters because there is no much benefit for the club in long term run and city might not even make that much profit at the end.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeh I wonder where would he go after City…
Unless he flopped badly and wants to leave, I can’t see him leaving during his peak being a success there… as City could give him all the money trophies fame he wanted, which might not be possible elsewhere. Real Madrid could be one option in future, but I doubt La Liga would have chance to overtake PL in near future.
Not sure if La Liga will overtake PL but playing for Madrid brings biggest fame than any other club, also increases the chance to win Balon d'or than at any other club.

matt10000

You see - this is the trap that some United fans keep falling into. Constantly using City as a diversionary tactic for the ongoing failings at your own club. You can moan about City's lottery win as much as you like (in any case, it's not like United haven't had lottery wins themselves during their history as both John Henry Davies and James Gibson would testify if they were still alive today but I digress), but the fact remains that over the past decade United have been the world's highest net spenders and I think it's fair to say that you haven't come close to getting enough bang for your buck. Indeed, I think it wouldn't be that outrageous to suggest that in relative terms of outlay over such an extended period or time, United must be up there as returning the least amount of success than any other club on the planet. Ever. No amount of complaining about City changes that and it's hardly City's fault that you've been so badly run as a club since Ferguson retired. And there really is no excuse for that considering how much you've splashed out.
You still miss the point completely, you are good at putting words and sentences together but fail at comprehension it seems.

I have never said it was City's fault that Utd have been run badly and I have never tried to divert or deny the Utd have been badly run or that Utd have spent a lot of money.

READ & COMPREHEND - What I have said is that many clubs have spent a lot but have built their spending power through footballing success on the pitch. I included Liverpool and United as they have had the most success between them post war and this has provided them with the opportunity to maximise revenue based on footballing success and re-invest. I argued that the likes of Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, City have not built success from being successful on the pitch, no they were all crap and then built success from being given money that wasn't earned as a result of any footballing success by those clubs. Newcastle will join that club soon.

romufc

I didn't say 150. Nothing wrong with buying for the price Dortmund did and selling for the price they did. It got them a few good years out of him.

You can bet anything City will have their usual Anti United Clause in that as they always do now. We could have done the same but where too proud to give someone a buyout clause.
You do realise there is a difference between £50m and £150m?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I didn't say 150. Nothing wrong with buying for the price Dortmund did and selling for the price they did. It got them a few good years out of him.

You can bet anything City will have their usual Anti United Clause in that as they always do now. We could have done the same but where too proud to give someone a buyout clause.
If we do what Dortmund did, it makes us more commercial club or selling club that we only sign players for profit money only but not for long term project.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not sure if La Liga will overtake PL but playing for Madrid brings biggest fame than any other club, also increases the chance to win Balon d'or than at any other club.
Yes but it was also based on the period when La Liga is at the very top with 2 super clubs and 2 GOATs sweeping up everything. They simply can’t compete with PL anymore in long term with TV money etc.

jackal&hyde

The poster I replied said it was smart business and we should have sign him instead of Dortmund and let him go for that 60m release clause. That‘s what my post was referring to. So when you told me it doesn’t matter, of course it matters because there is no much benefit for the club in long term run and city might not even make that much profit at the end.
Oh ok then, I misunderstood. I agree with you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Haaland is really eyeing that Real Madrid striker spot. When Benzema starts on his decline or leaving, Haaland could be available for Real Madrid to replace Benzema.

ShinjiNinja26

Haaland is really eyeing that Real Madrid striker spot. When Benzema starts on his decline or leaving, Haaland could be available for Real Madrid to replace Benzema.
Yep could work out perfectly for him. Couple seasons at City earning a fortune and picking up a few trophies along the way then off to lead the line at a massive club like Madrid, potentially linking up with Mbappe as well which would be quite something.

copen1945

The Man City fans seem to have considered the Haaland transfer a 'win' and a validation that the sports-washing project has finally become legitimate. How deflating it must be for them that they are still what they are. Haaland probably will do well enough, his injury record permitting. Those lot will buy another after him.

Zen86

I’d be surprised if he left City. The finances will keep him there longer than two years and if they don’t, City will just double it.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Here’s a quote unbelievable stat for anyone thinking he might score a barrel load, not saying he will or won’t

No foreigner has ever won the English premier league golden boor in his first season.

432JuanMata

Here’s a quote unbelievable stat for anyone thinking he might score a barrel load, not saying he will or won’t

No foreigner has ever won the English premier league golden boor in his first season.
That stat doesn’t mean anything in the future. Also when has a player in the past like Haaland moved to the PL to a side that’s as dominant as city.

GoldanoGraham

Really don’t think Haaland’s body is going to be able to handle the next few years and I reckon he will be out consistently with injuries. The last season is a sign of things to come I reckon.

He is a fast explosive player - but he is a large tall player - that is an unusual combination - add into that a lethal finisher and he looks unbelievable.

However that style and that size, especially with rapid youth growth tends to lend itself to muscular injuries- especially hamstring.

I think his biggest challenge going forward is going to be able to stay fit. He is now upping the physicality of play significantly now that he will be in the EPL and although he is joining the most proactive attacking team in the league I still think that it’s not going to be as easy as some think.

ROFLUTION

I don't hate much, and City numbs me, but that pull-up-my-shirt move slightly grinds my gears.

sangria

I’d be surprised if he left City. The finances will keep him there longer than two years and if they don’t, City will just double it.
They can't afford it. FFP will take care of that.

In other news, UAE announces a new partnership with Erling Haaland that will involve 3 days of consultancy work a year on tourism, and will pay him 20m per year. In yet other news, Alf Inge Haaland announces that he has bought Fiorentina. His first signings will be various City drop offs at 400% market value.

Hughie77

Hope he does well for his £400,00 a week. He's joining the right club, if he's half as good as his money grabbing old man there in for a treat. Ugly club He will fit in.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We can try to pull off every form of rationalising, but in the end, it's just a form of coping mechanism. No matter the injuries, he is just too good a player to fail. He is young and has his whole career ahead of him. This will be painful for United fans, very painful.

Nero

He was only there 2.5 years and helped them win a domestic cup. Dortmund are treating him like he's a retiring legend.

Smithy89

Funny he spoke out about the world cup in Qatar, then signs for City.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I know you only accidentally missed the context, but it's a completely innocent tweet that refers to the farewells given to the people leaving the club this summer and it probably had little to nothing to do with Haaland.

DevilRed

Would I love him at Manchester United? Yes.

But clearly this lad has no loyalties. He wants to play in many leagues and probably will spend a maximum of 3 years at any one club (or so it seems at the moment).

You don't go inserting transfer clauses in your contract unless you are looking for a move in the short/medium term.

Not the right type of player for us. We've never been a club that does well with "mercenaries".

Nicolarra90

Unless he flopped badly and wants to leave, I can’t see him leaving during his peak being a success there… as City could give him all the money trophies fame he wanted, which might not be possible elsewhere. Real Madrid could be one option in future, but I doubt La Liga would have chance to overtake PL in near future.
Real Madrid is and will always be the pinnacle of club football whether we like it or not.
So La Liga will always have the upper hand against any other league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's like Ronaldo. Real Madrid were a bit shit when he left us to go to them. Haaland will stay there for 4 years probably and then go to Madrid.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I don't think it's a sure thing and said as much since he was confirmed as joining.

"The other thing about Haaland’s goals is that most of them were scored in Germany. You know how a certain kind of very annoying person will reply to social media posts about, say, Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United with “Bundesliga tax”? Hate to say it, but they might be onto something. Although projecting how stats translate across leagues is notoriously tricky, one model by Tony El Habr estimated that an average young forward moving from the Bundesliga to the Premier League could expect to see his xG drop by 0.07 per 90 minutes."

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I hope Haaland and Mbappe never play on the same team, especially if Haaland proves to be capable of staying injury free and shows he can actually pose a challenge to Mbappe in the years to come

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's like Ronaldo. Real Madrid were a bit shit when he left us to go to them. Haaland will stay there for 4 years probably and then go to Madrid.
Real/La Liga were still attractive place to go back then when Ronaldo joined them, as they have been one of biggest spender, they are in middle of their Galacticos era, while La Liga still a very strong league in general, with Barca winning a couple of CL before Ronaldo left us. I doubt that would still be the same in few years time, with the strong inflow of TV money into PL which will create even larger gap from other league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Real/La Liga were still attractive place to go back then when Ronaldo joined them, as they have been one of biggest spender, they are in middle of their Galacticos era, while La Liga still a very strong league in general, with Barca winning a couple of CL before Ronaldo left us. I doubt that would still be the same in few years time, with the strong inflow of TV money into PL which will create even larger gap from other league.
Not really. Real Madrid started their Galacticos era with Ronaldo and Kaka and Benzema in summer 09. Ronaldo was their first signing. They hadn't gotten past the round of 16 in ages and lost 5-0 to Liverpool that year or the year before, and Liverpool were hardly the best team around. Barcelona was a different case, as they had won the CL that year, but Real Madrid were a bit shit at the time. Right now Real Madrid is in the CL final after recently winning 3 CL in a row, are signing Mbappe on a free this summer to add to their team, and regardless of PL money, they will always remain as the pinnacle for pretty much all players to have on their resume. The PL has had the most money for ages now, Real Madrid and Barcelona with their fans back will get their finances normalized again and will go back to spending big without too many issues. Their wages have always been stupid high anyway.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Would I love him at Manchester United? Yes.

But clearly this lad has no loyalties. He wants to play in many leagues and probably will spend a maximum of 3 years at any one club (or so it seems at the moment).

You don't go inserting transfer clauses in your contract unless you are looking for a move in the short/medium term.

Not the right type of player for us. We've never been a club that does well with "mercenaries".
Hahahaha.... We're guilty of using money to lure players. Poaching the best EPL have to offer in the past.

Let's not pretend we never flex our muscle.