Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

Charles Miller

The chances of success are huge. You watch them, they attract the adversary to one side of the pitch and move the ball fast to the other side. He is gonna make those diagonal runs with a lot of momentum. They are able to let players in 1x1 situations, even when the adversary is parking the bus.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Everyone said Agüero wouldn't fit Pep's system when he arrived and that ended with around 100 goals in the first three seasons.

Current Haaland doesn't fit into the system City have been playing recently at all but Pep is far more adaptable than he gets credit for. People have very short memories if they forget that we only started playing strikerless recently.

A true world class player who is not part of your system does not obliterate play.

Pep wanted to sign Ronaldo who also would not be pressing. If given the chance he would sign Messi. When a footballer is of a certain level he trump's any "system".

The system is like a guiding principle. Even duirng the game the same system can take shape in different ways

NewUser777

I'm afraid you're wrong on this one, buddy. Haaland is already a better golascorer than peak Aguero, he'll hit the ground running here like he's done at every other stop he's made so far. He'll only get better as well. I'm putting money on him hitting 30+ in the PL and becomes topscorer in the CL next season. The only thing that can stop him is injuries.... at 16 to 1 the bookies will lose money.
I don’t remember how good Aguero was at 21. But Haaland has twice the goal scoring average already. But premier league is a step up, and like we have seen many times, can be difficult to adapt. But with that juggernaut mentality of his, I’ll guess you might be right.

phelans shorts

I'm afraid you're wrong on this one, buddy. Haaland is already a better golascorer than peak Aguero, he'll hit the ground running here like he's done at every other stop he's made so far. He'll only get better as well. I'm putting money on him hitting 30+ in the PL and becomes topscorer in the CL next season. The only thing that can stop him is injuries.... at 16 to 1 the bookies will lose money.
Haaland does already have quite the logbook of injuries mind, so he’s not the surefire bet you’re making out. It’s fully reasonable to think that getting banged about a bit more than he already does will see him miss even more time with his back and knee issues.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Aguero is quality. Or have been. Haaland is not at his level. Yet should I say. We will see if Haaland can produce that football Aguero did.

I don't think Haaland is that good as many want to make. Let him show his worth in Premier League.
That’s very wishful thinking. The idea that he’ll find it harder to score in the mighty premier league than he has in the champions league is mad.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
My feeling is that ironically - signing Haaland will improve them defensively rather than offensively. One of the reasons why City are open to fast counter attacks is that their existing front 3 is made up of either natural wingers (Sterling/Mahrez/Jesus) or midfielders (Foden/Silva/Grealish). This leads to one out of De Bruyne/Gundogan having to consistently make runs into the box to get at the end of cutbacks. If they play Haaland - naturally good at finishing/positioning, then De Bruyne/Gundogan/Silva can focus on playing deeper and being more active in the build-up zone. They will be less likely to be hit on a counter. Hence I think the biggest improvement will come in the Goals Against column.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
My feeling is that ironically - signing Haaland will improve them defensively rather than offensively. One of the reasons why City are open to fast counter attacks is that their existing front 3 is made up of either natural wingers (Sterling/Mahrez/Jesus) or midfielders (Foden/Silva/Grealish). This leads to one out of De Bruyne/Gundogan having to consistently make runs into the box to get at the end of cutbacks. If they play Haaland - naturally good at finishing/positioning, then De Bruyne/Gundogan/Silva can focus on playing deeper and being more active in the build-up zone. They will be less likely to be hit on a counter. Hence I think the biggest improvement will come in the Goals Against column.
They are already one of the best defensive teams in the league, and it's incredibly hard to counter against them.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
They are already one of the best defensive teams in the league, and it's incredibly hard to counter against them.
My point was that Goals Scored will be more or less the same but Goals Against will see an improvement. This could make the difference in the CL.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Im surprised Klopp is going for the out and out 9 aswell. The success of his system has been a lot down to false 9.

While I don't don't Haaland will flop it does make me laugh when I see how the league is closed for x amount of years now. If he's that good surely he'd have dragged Dortmund to a title or at the very least a close race?
Bayern is much better than Dortmund, how is Haaland supposed to drag a close race or win a title.

Not Haaland's fault Dortmund defense is very underwhelming.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bayern is much better than Dortmund, how is Haaland supposed to drag a close race or win a title.

Not Haaland's fault Dortmund defense is very underwhelming.
PSG are better than Monaco, didn't stop teenage Mbappe.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
PSG are better than Monaco, didn't stop teenage Mbappe.
Mbappe had Bernardo Silva, Falcao, Mendy, and Fabinho in Monaco...Falcao even scored more than Mbappe that season in Ligue 1.
There are no players of such quality in current Dortmund.

You are literally blaming Haaland for Dortmund's defense being rubbish and conceding a lot even against midtable german teams.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Quite a few raise the valid point about his injury record and whether it will continue or even increase at City.
A player of his size and shape is always likely to be susceptible to muscle pulls and injuries to joints but he does help himself by living and training well.
It should also be remembered that he is still maturing and strengthening in his body which will help.
City also tend to rotate players a fair bit and they may well be able to use the new signing Alvarez or even go back to the False 9 for the odd game to give him a break.
This coming season will see him not participating in the World Cup so there's another chance for recovery.
I'm sure that there will be some injuries but most strikers suffer that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Mbappe had Bernardo Silva, Falcao, Mendy, and Fabinho in Monaco...Falcao even scored more than Mbappe that season in Ligue 1.
There are no players of such quality in current Dortmund.

You are literally blaming Haaland for Dortmund's defense being rubbish and conceding a lot even against midtable german teams.
He's had Sancho, Witsel and Hakimi at times who are hardly slouches.

I'm not "blaming" him, people are setting his standards by claiming he turns the league into a closed shop and a player on that type of level can and drag teams above their overall ability level.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I'm not sure he will. I think he will get goals but so would anyone playing in ManCIty as striker. People are making his signing way more than it actually is. We will see how he will adapt to Guardiola style of football. Also, how will he adapt to english football looking at his injuries.
He has a lot of services from City’s midfielders and fullbacks especially KDB and Cancelo and his clever movement(KDB would love it), athleticism( both strengths and speed),size( could match with any defenders) and finishing will make him success in EPL.

adkb

I know for most people this is a simple transfer which really strengths our rivals, but I do not think it is that straight forward.

Pep has a system and it is the players who have to fit into it, rather than the other way round. Now i am certain there are many expert mind who have already concluded that Haaland will fit into the system, but its never really that straight forward. Just look what is happening to Grealish. I do not mean to say that he is a flop, but he will take time to fit into this system and may or may not shine this season. I think same applies for Erling. Also, he will have to score, otherwise the press will have a field day.

As much as I like a striker to flourish and bang in goals left right center, this wont be as simple as some think.

ForeverRed1

Quite a few raise the valid point about his injury record and whether it will continue or even increase at City.
A player of his size and shape is always likely to be susceptible to muscle pulls and injuries to joints but he does help himself by living and training well.
It should also be remembered that he is still maturing and strengthening in his body which will help.
City also tend to rotate players a fair bit and they may well be able to use the new signing Alvarez or even go back to the False 9 for the odd game to give him a break.
This coming season will see him not participating in the World Cup so there's another chance for recovery.
I'm sure that there will be some injuries but most strikers suffer that.
he’s a animal. He will be amazing for you. I was jealous when you got grealish as I always thought he’d suit it here.. but this guy is a different beast. Unreal player. Only way he doesn’t score mad goals is if he gets injuries, as he already does and the PL is way more physical than anything he’s experienced to date.

frostbite

Unfortunately, PL now resembles the Bundesliga. The Overwhelming Favorite (Bayern, City), the Occasional Challenger (Dortmund, Liverpool), and the also runs.

It is funny that Klopp left one Occasional Challenger for another!

laughtersassassin

I hate the way my biggest concern for next season is Liverpool already as I know we will be struggling for 4th at best.

Because of this sad fact I hope Halaand hits the ground running and ensures City beat them to the league. Also hope he is better than Nunez as Liverpool always seem to get every signing right these days.

They are due a dud.

SER19

Christ they're really dragging the ass out of Haalands dad playing 35 premier league games for them :lol: As if it's some sort of Maldiniesque love affair. A truly embarrassing club trying to manufacture relevance. Genuinely could be the worst football club in the world

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He will be absolutely ridiculous at City.

I’m also afraid he will smash the league goals record.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He will be absolutely ridiculous at City.

I’m also afraid he will smash the league goals record.
I agree with you (although I don't have a horse in the race so I'm not scared :lol:actually looking forward to seeing what he's actually capable of) but this is a great opportunity for the footballing gods to once again prove how little I know and for him to flop massively.

Probably the most interesting part of next season for me.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It’s his goalscoring record everywhere he’s been. Even for Norway is near a goal per game. At a club who create multiple chances, it’s a frightening thought.

Replacing Gabriel Jesus with Haaland is incredible business.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is not proven to be as good a goal scorer as Aguero in a top league yet (Germany is not a top league in my opinion). Let's wait and see how it goes, he doesn't walk on water you know. Personally I think he will do well but nowhere near as good as some people predict because I don't see him as having the required skill set (yet) that Pep will want from his striker - look at how he changed Aguero's game, this is what I expect to happen to Haaland so there will be a period of transition.

arthurka

I have a feeling he will struggle in the PL he is pretty good but he has benefitted from brut strength and I think he won't find it as easy in the PL due to the physicality of the league. But who knows.

Trezeguet17

I have a feeling he will struggle in the PL he is pretty good but he has benefitted from brut strength and I think he won't find it as easy in the PL due to the physicality of the league. But who knows.
This is why he is born to play in the PL.

He is not proven to be as good a goal scorer as Aguero in a top league yet (Germany is not a top league in my opinion). Let's wait and see how it goes, he doesn't walk on water you know. Personally I think he will do well but nowhere near as good as some people predict because I don't see him as having the required skill set (yet) that Pep will want from his striker - look at how he changed Aguero's game, this is what I expect to happen to Haaland so there will be a period of transition.
Look up his record in the CL then.

Haaland to City is the most annoying transfer ever for me. And we are not even contending with City. Can’t imagine how the Liverpool fans must feel about that transfer