Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He is not proven to be as good a goal scorer as Aguero in a top league yet (Germany is not a top league in my opinion). Let's wait and see how it goes, he doesn't walk on water you know. Personally I think he will do well but nowhere near as good as some people predict because I don't see him as having the required skill set (yet) that Pep will want from his striker - look at how he changed Aguero's game, this is what I expect to happen to Haaland so there will be a period of transition.
Pep stated in a interview that Manchester City will setup to play to Haalands strenghts and not the other way. Quite some confidence in a new purchase to outright state that the entire team will evolve around that.

The warranted belief in Haaland really comes from the Champions League first, Bundesliga 2nd and national team third. He is a goal per game striker in all competitions. The only other active players that can claim something resembling that is the only striker that is better than Haaland, and the two greats in their final career years.

I think he scores within 15 minutes against West Ham.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Pep stated in a interview that Manchester City will setup to play to Haalands strenghts and not the other way. Quite some confidence in a new purchase to outright state that the entire team will evolve around that.

The warranted belief in Haaland really comes from the Champions League first, Bundesliga 2nd and national team third. He is a goal per game striker in all competitions. The only other active players that can claim something resembling that is the only striker that is better than Haaland, and the two greats in their final career years.

I think he scores within 15 minutes against West Ham.
I'd say Lewandowski, Benzema and Mbappe are all ahead of Haaland.

People are too obsessed with goal stats these days. I'd argue that Sancho was much more important for Dortmund's cup win than Haaland for instance. As good as Haaland's goal output was, his arrival didn't improve Dortmund as much as his stats suggest. They were performing at the same level before him and most likely will do next season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

People are too obsessed with goal stats these days. I'd argue that Sancho was much more important for Dortmund's cup win than Haaland for instance. As good as Haaland's goal output was, his arrival didn't improve Dortmund as much as his stats suggest. They were performing at the same level before him and most likely will do next season.
If City's goal per game doesn't increase this coming season then you are probably right, but Pep probably want Haaland to be the key for CL. so stats may not tell you everything.

Nickosaur

Best the premier league can hope for is he dominates with city for two years then fecks off to madrid

City then crumble having become so complacent and dependent and get relegated

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

These are no ordinary goal stats though. Haaland has been scoring a goal per game at every level from league to UCL to internationals and he’s only 21 years old. His goal scoring record is simply phenomenal the only U21 I’ve ever seen with a comparable goal scoring ratio is Ronaldo9. Not that I’m saying Haaland is as good as Ronaldo9 who was simply the best young player I’ve ever seen.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I have a feeling he will struggle in the PL he is pretty good but he has benefitted from brut strength and I think he won't find it as easy in the PL due to the physicality of the league. But who knows.
Agree, Bundesliga style is very different to PL.

Even Werner banging them in BL...

City are so creative, so many cut back goals. He'll score a lot still.

Interesting to see how many total goals they score compared to this year. Already got 99...106 is the record.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Imagine the amount of cut back goals he will get

Charles Miller

What was he supposed to say there folks? Imagine if he commits a Freudian slip and says: "our main rival Barcelona", it would be very suspicious.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
61 goals in 66 games vs 89 goals in 229 games in BL. This guy was “banging them in” at a slightly different level.
Werner just started slower, had a much longer BL career.

Werner last season in BL, 34 games 28 goals, Haaland last BL season 24 games, 22 goals...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Imagine the amount of cut back goals he will get
14 cutbacks, 4 spectacular, 3 penalties, 4 headers. Then on top of that you have all the goals he'll create for himself. I reckon he'll score about 40 in total his first season.

A-man

I have a feeling he will struggle in the PL he is pretty good but he has benefitted from brut strength and I think he won't find it as easy in the PL due to the physicality of the league. But who knows.
I don’t understand how his “brut strength” can be something negative in a physical league.

What could be bad for him in a physical league is that he might get even more injured than last season. But if he stays fit he will score 30+ goals.

copen1945

His injuries will be such that he probably won't play more than 35 matches in all competitions. With him, Man City will play a game suited to a dominant striker. Without him, they will need to go back to the false nine game. Going back and forth between contrasting styles won't help them and their players getting into a rhythm. At least, I hope so.

SoCross

Don't think he will be as dominant as he has been in his career so far but still expect him to get at least 20 PL goals in his first season if he stays fully fit. Once he adjusts to the league....

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one reason I’m not sure about Haaland at City is because of Pep with Zlatan and Lewandowski.

However, something tells me that Pep is changing his tactics - inverted wingers like Sterling are not as important as creative players like Grealish, Foden and Silva.

Maybe it will all just tick - or still get it wrong.

Anderson_7_

White Lukaku is going to get humbled real quick and will be be off to Madrid or Bayern in no time.

City plays football that doesn't suit him at all. He'll struggle to score 10 league goals.

Marwood

He's not a Pep type and doesn't fit with the football City play.

But I'm not sure it'll really matter. He'll still score loads.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The one reason I’m not sure about Haaland at City is because of Pep with Zlatan and Lewandowski.

However, something tells me that Pep is changing his tactics - inverted wingers like Sterling are not as important as creative players like Grealish, Foden and Silva.

Maybe it will all just tick - or still get it wrong.
What about Pep and Lewandowski???

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Should win a CL with him and that form and Bayern.

I just don’t know how long Pep goes without the pressure of CL wins to be honest.
Lewandowski and Haaland are completely different strikers.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Werner just started slower, had a much longer BL career.

Werner last season in BL, 34 games 28 goals, Haaland last BL season 24 games, 22 goals...
Do CL stats next. Then national team stats. Reality is he has been scoring a goal a game since he turned 19 no matter what the competition is or who he has been playing for. Those with BL tax typically have a significant drop-off in non-domestic comps. If anything Haaland is the opposite with his goal rates being better outside of BL.

Werner “started slower” because he simply isn’t anywhere close to being at the same level as Haaland.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Lewandowski and Haaland are completely different strikers.
That’s fair - but for me Pep’s teams always look better with false 9’s and inverted forwards scoring than playing more traditional strikers/number 9’s.

Aguero for example wasn’t all that great for me under City, same with Zlatan and finally Lewandowski who was winning CL’s 2019.

I just feels like he wants to try do something different at City since they still haven’t gotten far in the CL yet, never mind win it.

Let’s see if it works out.

Robbie Boy

Do CL stats next. Then national team stats. Reality is he has been scoring a goal a game since he turned 19 no matter what the competition is or who he has been playing for. Those with BL tax typically have a significant drop-off in non-domestic comps. If anything Haaland is the opposite with his goal rates being better outside of BL.

Werner “started slower” because he simply isn’t anywhere close to being at the same level as Haaland.
Here comes the protector of all things noggie!!!

Highfather_24

His injuries will be such that he probably won't play more than 35 matches in all competitions. With him, Man City will play a game suited to a dominant striker. Without him, they will need to go back to the false nine game. Going back and forth between contrasting styles won't help them and their players getting into a rhythm. At least, I hope so.
They have Julian Alvarez as well.

Tavern in the town

Should win a CL with him and that form and Bayern.

I just don’t know how long Pep goes without the pressure of CL wins to be honest.
He’s won 4 league titles in 5 seasons while breaking a feck load of records. I think that might have something to do with it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

He has incredible personal stats yet despite that Dortmund got no closer to toppling Bayern and even finished below Leipzig in his first full season aswell as a weak for their standards 75 goal team tally (they usually hit numbers in the 80's).

He will score goals and be far from a flop but i don't think he's going to fit into the dynamics as neatly as people think.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

This. People need to make their peace with it now because he's getting 40 goals minimum this season. This is a special, special player that we're talking about here. I mean 23 goals in 19 CL games? Who does that?!?!