Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

LARulz

I wonder why this is? Is Pep just swimming in his own arrogance now? Or is there another, more reasonable explanation?
I imagine a lot of behind doors friendlies?

Also I guess they could make 2 teams with their squad and just play against each other, probably more of a test than other teams they'd play

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What about haller last season in the ucl? Most of these players weren't strikers or had the opportunity to play in the ucl many times before moving to the prem, haaland wasn't the only one that looked impressive with salzberg a few seasons back, you had the 2 Japanese players that looked really good and both have looked average since joining the prem
Haller was pretty incredible, considering I didn't think we'd see Haaland's record for CL goal to start a career in the competition broken for a while and Haller broke it the very next season.

Polar

It’s early days.. Haaland has just arrived and played <150 minutes. Isn’t much to base assessments on.

Most people considered him to be among top-3 (attacker) in the world before joining City, and I’m surprised if he becomes a worse player after joining City. As of now negative Haaland comments are mostly wishful thinking from rival supporters.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I imagine a lot of behind doors friendlies?

Also I guess they could make 2 teams with their squad and just play against each other, probably more of a test than other teams they'd play
I don't think either of those are a sufficient pre-season but if they achieve their goals then I guess it won't matter.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What about haller last season in the ucl? Most of these players weren't strikers or had the opportunity to play in the ucl many times before moving to the prem, haaland wasn't the only one that looked impressive with salzberg a few seasons back, you had the 2 Japanese players that looked really good and both have looked average since joining the prem
What about Haller? He was 27 last year. Career wise his CL numbers were quite clearly an outlier. His Eredivisie/Bundesliga numbers aren't even that impressive. In Bundesliga he had 24G+13A in 4500 minutes. Haaland had 62G+19A in 5400 minutes. Haaland is playing a completely different ball game.

With Haaland his CL numbers aren't an outlier. He has been averaging a goal a game since he turned 19. For Salzburg, for Dortmund, for Norway. In the leagues and continentally. Doesn’t matter who his teammates are or what the system is, he will find a way to score.

Hwang is Korean, not Japanese. Again, what is their relevance to Haaland? Both players several years older and nowhere near him when it comes to talent and potential. Just because they passed the eye test in that team doesn’t mean they’re on par with him talent wise.

He will bang them in for City. Even in his second pre season start last week, while being rusty and not in sync with his teammates he managed an xG of 1.6 on his own against the best defence he will face all season. Imagine what he will do to poorer defences when he gets up to speed. Creating chance after chance for a player with that kind of movement, instinct and finishing ability is a very dangerous combo.

The only questions regarding Haaland worth asking are: Will he stay fit? His injury record last season was not good. And will his presence make City a better team? They were already winning most of their games before him. Will they keep winning those games while also improving their weaknesses in games they weren’t winning?

Bobski

Going to stay optimistic that he is going to be a flop for the last few hours before he inevitably bangs in 5.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Press making it a Nunez vs Haaland face off is ridiculous.
Both will be assets to their teams and to hope anything else is just falling for clickbait trash.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Speaks well about the mentality required at the top level. You need to be able to reset after every game and go into the next game with a fresh mindset.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I wonder why this is? Is Pep just swimming in his own arrogance now? Or is there another, more reasonable explanation?
City never play many pre-season friendlies and always come back later than the other teams. It's not about arrogance.

Anderson_7_

Nunez may seem awkward and clumsy, but he fights for every ball and constantly makes runs. He works hard.

I've watched Haaland against Bayern and Liverpool and he's just too passive & disinterested. It's almost like he's waiting for the ball to magically appear in front of him. In that aspect, he's more similar to Lukaku than Nunez is.

Let's see if he manages to improve.

Chief123

Yep I’ve seen enough. He’s gonna score an absolute shit load. Lock this shit up and throw away the key. This thread is done.

The comparisons with Nunez are looking cringe. Levels between them.

justsomebloke

Nunez may seem awkward and clumsy, but he fights for every ball and constantly makes runs. He works hard.

I've watched Haaland against Bayern and Liverpool and he's just too passive & disinterested. It's almost like he's waiting for the ball to magically appear in front of him. In that aspect, he's more similar to Lukaku than Nunez is.

That aged well.

rajds89

They’ve got Haaland, we’ve got a want away 37 year old who may or may not be throwing a tantrum from one day to the next.

How depressing.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Once they start timing those passes to match his runs, like the second goal, it’s going to be so difficult to stop him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All the doubts about him were more wishful thinking than anything based on reality. Some players are just too good no matter where they'd play and who they'd play for

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As long as they don't win the CL don't really care about what he does tbh.

ShinjiNinja26

So much for hoping he’d flop in the prem. like that was ever going to happen. :lol:

This big streak of piss is going to tear the League a new one. How fun. If you don’t laugh you’ll cry.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Once they start timing those passes to match his runs, like the second goal, it’s going to be so difficult to stop him.
A high line against a team with KDB, Bernardo, Rodri, and Cancelo constantly getting on the ball and Haaland running behind is just suicidal.

Micky Targaryen

:lol:

Suv666

Built different. He's a generational talent. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends his career with a couple of Ballon D'ors

Nero

Madrid will have a top striker in 2 years when they activate that release clause.

In the meantime, we can watch his goals stop Liverpool winning anything.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's going to smash this league up. It's the second coming of Ruud.
I think you might be right, but not in the way you mean. Like Ruud, I think he hoovers up a whole lot of goals without actually making the team any better than they were before he turned up.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Madrid will have a top striker in 2 years when they activate that release clause.

In the meantime, we can watch his goals stop Liverpool winning anything.
What’s his release clause?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I think you might be right, but not in the way you mean. Like Ruud, I think he hoovers up a whole lot of goals without actually making the team any better than they were before he turned up.
Wishful thinking imo.