Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

cyberman

100% agree. Many people created their own story without knowing a shit: talking about “he was operated in his other foot”, “he played after the tackle”, and many other explanations. The Keane tackle definitely had a negative impact on Alfie Haaland’s career. People who still think the Keane tackle didn’t change anything should just ask Alfie himself.

That aside, it wouldn’t have affected Team Haaland’s choice. If Man Utd was Man C, Erling would’ve come here. Why shouldn’t Alfie have wanted the best for his son?
Not sure Alfie can argue against the laws of physics and biology now

At the time of Keane's tackle, Haaland's left knee was already giving him sufficient problems for him to have to play with strapping around it

emerged that Haaland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that his left leg did not receive a knock in the game (Keane kicked his right thigh), and that Keane did not cause his long term injury.Legal action was dropped in February 2003 after the club reviewed the medical advice

So…yeah.

Fluctuation0161

I don’t disagree it’s a great deal for City. They got a goal machine, the best goal scorer on the planet by some distance. As for United paying under the table, I think you are confusing that for paying over the odds. United have actually been thwarted several times because they refused to pay hidden fees. Benzema was one, Hazard was another. SAF just wouldn’t countenance the massive agent fees involved. Once we changed leadership, Woodward wasted no time going that route by the massive commissions he paid out for the Pogba deal.

The thing with City though, is that it seems fairly common knowledge at this point that they pay massive hidden sums in additional payments and wages. We saw the tip of that iceberg with the football leaks stuff, and you just know there is a ton of shady financial stuff going on behind the scenes with them. I think generally people just don’t care anymore, they’ll never be brought to heel on it as UEFA is toothless. Regarding Haaland, I’d be staggered if the final fee, including commissions is double the publicised number. City fans don’t care, and why should they? The hit the lottery and there’s no point on doing that if you don’t use your financial muscle.

You can call City whatever you want (not you personally obviously), they are financially doped to the hilt, but they also have a really good football structure and even though they spend without restraint or consequence, they also actually spend well. They’ve recruited some incredible talent over the years.

Personally I despise the likes of City and PSG with their financial doping and blood stained money, but they are here to stay, and I can’t blame the fans - even if I wish they’d acknowledge how distasteful their owners are - because they didn’t ask for it anymore than we asked for parasitic owners. What I don’t like are fans of these clubs loving and defending the owners because they are investing in something they have passion for, as though that erases all the other shit they’ve done. Just look at Newcastle fans dressed like Sheiks. Grotesque really.

The reality is that if United was taken over by Dubai, for example, there would be a large section of the fan base that would behave exactly the same way as City, Newcastle, and PSG fans; loving their owners who bring in world class players and build incredible infrastructure, and developing a selective conscience for the thousands of people that have died and continue to suffer at their hands. At the end of the day, no sport is worth surrendering your moral fortitude and compass.
Good post.

Ted Lasso

..but somehow this club is really proud and did not want to take the risk
Both club and fans were proud and unrealistic in their expectations.

Interesting to hear the other side of the injury as well. It doesn't seem like that has been a major factor in the decisions though, which seems pretty much a pure footballing decision with a bonus financial boost on top.

Pickle85

I dont care if Keane actual effect on Haaland. In his eyes Keane is a cnut playing for his Dad's rival who probably swept everything there is to win

Some of youse are too naive for the sake of it. We hate Liverpool for much less, let alone if Ian Rush or Daglish made that tackle to my Dad.

And here's people telling you it doesn't matter?

Financial, football wise, career etc all leads to city. The revenge part is cherry on the top

But...but... His dad says otherwise. The guy probably had more class than Roy Keane. Make no mistakes i love his cnut attitude, but still he's a cnut
Is this based on anything other than your own guesswork?

Polar

I dont care if Keane actual effect on Haaland. In his eyes Keane is a cnut playing for his Dad's rival who probably swept everything there is to win

Some of youse are too naive for the sake of it. We hate Liverpool for much less, let alone if Ian Rush or Daglish made that tackle to my Dad.

And here's people telling you it doesn't matter?

Financial, football wise, career etc all leads to city. The revenge part is cherry on the top

But...but... His dad says otherwise. The guy probably had more class than Roy Keane. Make no mistakes i love his cnut attitude, but still he's a cnut
Good answer. You maybe right.

Alfie wasn’t the smartest kid in class and was a Keane light on the pitch himself. Both of them have grown up and off course behave more correct, but what is going on in the back of their mind is difficult to say.:rolleyes:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is response to you and other people in this thread, im a long time lurker and wanted to post Haaland's own story of that Keano tackle, I see it repeated as a myth here again and again. I don't know the family, but I grew up not far away so I know people that went to school with them.

What Haaland himself say about it is that before that tackle he played 8 years in England with no injury, after that tackle he never played 90 minuts again in his life. im not allowed to link it because im new member, but you find it on youtube under "alfie haaland talks about Roy Keane" 4 min video.

So everyone claiming it is a myth is just repeating a myth created by United fans a long time ago (Its been posted as fact that Keane did not injury him online for 15-20 years).

On him growing up in poverty, no not really, but Haaland senior did make some bad financial decisions, like investing most of it in one of Norways biggest club in his small hometown Bryne, this ofcourse went to shit because it is not enough people there to fill the bar, but he kept working "normal" jobs with a decent income, and if you see their house its noting out of the ordinary exept it is a bit "funkis". It was just starting to come good money into the leauge when he retired, but he still made good money as a pro.

And everyone belived it was the big brother in the family that were gonna be the star, not Erling, so that it went this way was kinda suprising, atleast how he is breaking records, in all of football modern history its only Van Basten and Ronaldo that kept up with his goal rate this young, but Haaland passed them both by now sometime last season. He is now the same age as Ronaldo when he got his famous injury and were never the same player again, so prob if he does not get injured badly he will crush Ronaldos all time goals (think he is passed half already)

Anyway I also find it low to blame Solskjaer for not getting him, the family themself said they only felt Solskjaer wanted him but not the board, United should just have given him same buy out as Dortmund and be confident enough that they could keep him after 2 seasons, but somehow this club is really proud and did not want to take the risk, we can regret it now, becaue best case is he get injured or is of to Spain in 3 years, but im afraid this topic will pop up alot the next seasons, really unbeliveble how he started in city.

-Sorry for the english, I dropped out of school at 16 and don't normaly write alot.
Which is stupid because there are no risk at all other than pride and ego.

Haaland didn't command outrageous wages, guaranteed profit as his release clause is 3x his buyout price. 3 years of first class service and 3 years chance to make him fall for us by playing in the theatre of dream.

But hey we loaned Igalo...

Polar

Not sure Alfie can argue against the laws of physics and biology now

At the time of Keane's tackle, Haaland's left knee was already giving him sufficient problems for him to have to play with strapping around it

emerged that Haaland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that his left leg did not receive a knock in the game (Keane kicked his right thigh), and that Keane did not cause his long term injury.Legal action was dropped in February 2003 after the club reviewed the medical advice

So…yeah.
You probably misunderstood my post. I didn’t say Haaland’s retirement was because of the Keane-tackle only. It was more complex than that, and it can be discussed how big role the Keane-tackle played.

What annoys me is people who think it’s ONE reason behind Alfie’s retirement and assertively claim the Keane-tackle didn’t matter, like it was impossible because the other facts people refers to.

His injury from the tackle wasn’t very acute and he was able to play, but it bothered him and he struggled to recover 100% from that injury, but also other injuries. His retirement was because of the total, which off course the Keane-tackle was part of the story.

The Keane-tackle also had a mental impact in Haaland. He was exposed for violence and aggression which involved both one of the greatest clubs and players in the world. It became a big story in the media and a lot was said. Off course it was a burden for Haaland (as a victim) to be harassed by a “super power”.

Last edited:

OpenIntrovert

Surprising thing is that people hope Haaland would have come here when he would not have fit in with ETH's style of play. The interesting thing about Haaland at City is that Pep has allowed him freedom to play as the main striker without heavy involvement in terms of defensive duties. ETH is still very traditional in expecting more pressing from his CF which is why Ronaldo is struggling.

Pickle85

Guesswork dressed up like fact delivered in a condescending manner, a Caf special.
:lol: ya gotta love it

You need proove to know city fans dont like United? Let alone the one who's captain battered his dad in a cold blood tackle?
Wasn't he a leeds fan? Whatever the case, far too much importance is placed by us fans on what teams players supposedly support. Sterling was a united fan that ended up at city and Chelsea. Wasnt Alan Smith a big leeds guy before ending up at us? Ultimately, while they may have a slight preference for one side over another based on childhood affections, the thing that will matter 9/10 times will be a combination of the financial package and potential for success.

georgipep

Surprising thing is that people hope Haaland would have come here when he would not have fit in with ETH's style of play. The interesting thing about Haaland at City is that Pep has allowed him freedom to play as the main striker without heavy involvement in terms of defensive duties. ETH is still very traditional in expecting more pressing from his CF which is why Ronaldo is struggling.
It's pretty obvious that Pep is making an exception for Haaland, as we've seen what happens with traditional strikers under Guardiola in the past (Ibra).

I think it's fair to say that Ten Hag would've likely made an exception for Haaland as well and would've adapted tactics to accommodate.

Dyslexic Untied

I don't think he would have ended up here personally. Not because of the Keane-Alfie thing necessarily, but more because him and his team have always chosen clubs quite wisely. They have had a plan for his career where he has taken steps in other other leagues while still being able to play CL football and showcase himself.

I don't there think has ever been a point these last five or so years where we have been the "right club" for anyone with that sort of plan. Perhaps the Solskjær link made us an option at some point, but I would assume that Haaland and his advisors were able to see that Solskjær's engagement was not going to last forever.

cyberman

You probably misunderstood my post. I didn’t say Haaland’s retirement was because of the Keane-tackle only. It was more complex than that, and it can be discussed how big role the Keane-tackle played.

What annoys me is people who think it’s ONE reason behind Alfie’s retirement and assertively claim the Keane-tackle didn’t matter, like it was impossible because the other facts people refers to.

His injury from the tackle wasn’t very acute and he was able to play, but it bothered him and he struggled to recover 100% from that injury, but also other injuries. His retirement was because of the total, which off course the Keane-tackle was part of the story.

The Keane-tackle also had a mental impact in Haaland. He was exposed for violence and aggression which involved both one of the greatest clubs and players in the world. It became a big story in the media and a lot was said. Off course it was a burden for Haaland (as a victim) to be harassed by a “super power”.
But his actual knee was already fecked before the tackle to the point it gave out on him the next week. It can’t even be said that it was from some sort of compensatory injury because the knee completely went so soon after.
Timeline seems to be his knee was gone and he was on borrowed time before Keane tackle. Keane seems to have got him at the last possible match before he went for surgery. Seems to be nothing more than that.
I think it’s a narrative that makes sense in people mind but the facts just don’t back it up. Even to the point people are hand waving away the fact he played on.
Even Haaland said he was lucky Keane didn’t do serious damage because his leg was off the floor. Logic dictates that he thinks Keane didn’t do serious damage with his lunge.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's gonna win them champions League. I'm so sure of it I might put money on it to soften the blow.

arnie_ni

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't break all PL goalscoring records.

Goals scored
Consecutive games etc

tenpoless

Keane incident didn't make any difference to his decision. If we were high and flying like City with a legendary manager like Pep he would have joined us.
Also had he joined us because we offered him something he couldn't refuse (instead of signing Ronaldo), he would have fecked off last season or is still here but creating more drama than Ronaldo. His dad knows he's good and wants to make the best out of his career.

Bottom line is just let Ten Hag build his team. If he's successful enough top players will come. Yes Haaland scores lots of goals but I'm not really that bothered, Pep will leave soon most likely and he is not a one club kind of player. He will leave City. Will he play for United at some point? maybe but that's too far, let's just focus on actually building a fecking football team.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Cyborg Haaland may not be Squires' most ingenious creation, but i'm here for it nevertheless :D

justsomebloke

That's simply not the case. Haaland does more pressing at City than anyone who've played striker for United this season (11.3 pressing actions/90 vs 10/90 for Rashford and 9.2/90 for Ronaldo).

Also, I think you could argue United's more direct attacking style is if anything a more straightforward fit for Haaland than City's more elaborate style.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Haaland doesn't press like Gabriel Jesus and doesn't assist in the build up like Dennis Bergkamp but does his share of both and will improve both aspects with time and coaching.
No worries there.

Anderson_7_

.He'll start facing actual football clubs next month. Let's see if he's able to sustain his goalscoring form.

Defenders should be better prepared after this break.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
.He'll start facing actual football clubs next month. Let's see if he's able to sustain his goalscoring form.

Why should they be better prepared than before? It's not like it was in any way news what he did, and as you yourswlf said he is just a tap-in merchant. Should be pretty simple to be prepared against that, shouldn't it?

Chief123

I think he will stay longer than people think. After City, only Real/Barca left for him. Why should he move there in 2 years, he is still young. Think he will stay 3-5 years, then he can still go to Spain. The PL is still the best league, he will stay quite a bit here.
Agree.

I think Alvarez will be more likely to leave within 2-3 years due to not enough game time. Alvarez is too good to be playing backup for the next few years.

Halftrack

Given how absolutely shite you're at predicting things, I'm now expecting defenders to somehow be less prepared.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

The lengths you will go to to talk this guy down is straight up impressive.

Anderson_7_

Continuous wumming
Watching Šeško destroy and embarrass this Norwegian fraud was so satisfying. :lol:

How can you watch players like Šeško or Vlahovic and still think Haaland is special or generational? The hysteria and hype around Haaland will cool down when people catch up.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Watching Šeško destroy and embarrass this Norwegian fraud was so satisfying. :lol:

How can you watch players like Šeško or Vlahovic and still think Haaland is special or generational? The hysteria and hype around Haaland will cool down when people catch up.
Probably because Haaland moved to the best league in the world and still has 15 goals in 11 games this season for club and country. Not sure what you were going for here.

Eriku

Wow, you really have an axe to grind.

saffron trishula

He is currently averaging 1.57 goals per game. Even if he plays only 30 games, at this rate he is projected to hit close to 50 goals. I highly suspect this will be a record breaking season, where we go after that will be interesting

justsomebloke

This WUMming is starting to get boring.

JeffBoomTetris

Internationals are internationals. Even Messi looks poor in those.

More importantly, this guy is fast becoming super important for City. Almost too important. They are heavily relying on him to score most of their goals. Last season, everyone was chipping in for them. Now, if Haaland gets, say, an injury or a suspension, they may be in deep trouble.

arthurka

Internationals are internationals. Even Messi looks poor in those.

More importantly, this guy is fast becoming super important for City. Almost too important. They are heavily relying on him to score most of their goals. Last season, everyone was chipping in for them. Now, if Haaland gets, say, an injury or a suspension, they may be in deep trouble.
They will be ok.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

On a United forum, we can always laugh and joke about opposition players not making the cut. But this is just silly.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

I love Vlahovic but Haaland is a notch above