Erling Haaland or Jadon Sancho?

Which player would represent a better signing for United in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chief123

Even though I’d love either of them at Utd, I feel there is a lot of context that needs to be added here.

Every time I see Sancho or Haaland have a good performance or highlights of their goals, the vast majority of them always appear to be against wide open defences with plenty of space to run into. It always feels like it’s a 3v3 situation with plenty of options. These scenarios are normally very rare for a top team in the premier league to face. Majority of time it’s buses parked which are hard to break down.

It’s generally felt the standard of Bundesliga isn’t the same level as the premier league which is in some way validated by the poor transition of players such as Mkhi and Kagawa.

Haaland and Sancho do feel like someone who can perform in any league but it is always going to be a big money gamble to hope they achieve the same in the premier league.

I’ve come across a few Dortmund fans via online gaming and have always been intruiged to hear their thoughts. They naturally love them both but one thing that they commonly stated was that Haaland isn’t the best with the ball at his feet. His general dribbling and back to goal play is one of his weaknesses according to them.

I guess time will tell how they get on if they were to come to Prem.

chb23

Glad we didn't pay $120M for Sancho, dodged a bullet.

Even though I’d love either of them at Utd, I feel there is a lot of context that needs to be added here.

Every time I see Sancho or Haaland have a good performance or highlights of their goals, the vast majority of them always appear to be against wide open defences with plenty of space to run into. It always feels like it’s a 3v3 situation with plenty of options. These scenarios are normally very rare for a top team in the premier league to face. Majority of time it’s buses parked which are hard to break down.

It’s generally felt the standard of Bundesliga isn’t the same level as the premier league which is in some way validated by the poor transition of players such as Mkhi and Kagawa.

Haaland and Sancho do feel like someone who can perform in any league but it is always going to be a big money gamble to hope they achieve the same in the premier league.

I’ve come across a few Dortmund fans via online gaming and have always been intruiged to hear their thoughts. They naturally love them both but one thing that they commonly stated was that Haaland isn’t the best with the ball at his feet. His general dribbling and back to goal play is one of his weaknesses according to them.

I guess time will tell how they get on if they were to come to Prem.
I would expect a 20 year old to have some weaknesses. I’ve not watched much of him, bar highlights - dare I say it, especially as I think Lukaku is a poor player, but is he similar to Lukaku. Pace, power, big and tall, but not a target man?

I would deffo question whether he could return the same numbers in the PL, but his record in Europe is also top notch.

would love to see how he would do in the PL, just not with City or Liverpool, as he has the potential to be a mainstay of their attack for a long time.

Josep Dowling

Haaland senior's feelings towards United is not relevant to where Erling plays football. This has been clear for a long time, and Alfie has stated that he will not stand in the way of a transfer to Old Trafford. Alfie knows Ole well, Ole has been Erlings coach in Molde and United has enormous status in Norway. Despite what the CAF thinks, we are still a powerhouse in world football.
If we convince him we have ambitions, there is no reason why he should not consider us the same way he would City, Liverpool, Barca, RM and Bayern. Which is the only realistic suitors (minus Barca because of f'ed up economy). Italy or France is not an option because of language and status.
In name only these days. Top players only move for 3 things. More pay, guaranteed Champions League each season and trophies. We can’t offer the last two so would need to offer him serious wages to compensate. Something we are apparently trying to stop doing as we want players to join because they want to.

We missed out to Dortmund for only one reason and that was his Dad and agent wanting a bigger payment on his next transfer. They know the next time he’s sold he’s going to cost 4-6 times more than what they could ever achieve from selling him from Salzburg. It’s all been planned.

Josep Dowling

We are now trying Rashford on the right because we didn’t buy a starting RW. Had we purchased Sancho our attack would be so much better, all the threat is from the left.

I would say signing Sancho for £120m is better business than the business we have done. Not a single player is deemed an improvement on what we bought. Telles is getting games because Shaw is injured. No one can work out where VDB fits in our team. Cavani is a sub. The two youngsters we bought won’t be near the first team for years and are massive gambles. Especially Traore from Atalanta. I don’t trust our scouts as their recent records show they can’t identify decent youngsters. He’s played 3 games for Atalanta, 3! Way too much risk to pay what we did in my opinion.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are now trying Rashford on the right because we didn’t buy a starting RW. Had we purchased Sancho our attack would be so much better, all the threat is from the left.

I would say signing Sancho for £120m is better business than the business we have done. Not a single player is deemed an improvement on what we bought. Telles is getting games because Shaw is injured. No one can work out where VDB fits in our team. Cavani is a sub. The two youngsters we bought won’t be near the first team for years and are massive gambles. Especially Traore from Atalanta. I don’t trust our scouts as their recent records show they can’t identify decent youngsters. He’s played 3 games for Atalanta, 3! Way too much risk to pay what we did in my opinion.
I doubt Sancho would be an immediate improvement either. He has been very average so far this season. I am afraid to say he isn't any better than Martial this season, who has been quit poor.

DRM

I reckon the dirty Berties will be looking for a top striker and will pay top dollar for the right player.
Aguero is coming to the end of his top level career and is out injured more often than not.
Jesus isn’t consistent and they’re relying on the attacking midfield and wingers to provide the goals.
Sterling had a golden scoring spell last season, which might not be repeated to the same level.
Haaland might be tempted to go there, although RM looks to be favourite atm.
Will Dortmund want to deal with us anyway?
Aye, I have a feeling he'll end up there or Madrid.

Chief123

I doubt Sancho would be an immediate improvement either. He has been very average so far this season. I am afraid to say he isn't any better than Martial this season, who has been quit poor.
Even in “poor” form, Sancho would certainly be an immediate improvement. Strange to suggest otherwise. Considering we have been using Mata and now trying Rashford on the RW, Sancho would certainly provide a much needed improvement.

The suggestion is his poor form so far has been due to him being disgruntled about not getting the transfer to utd. If he got his move there wouldn’t be any reason why he can’t return to his best form.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s not worth 120m but it’s harsh to say he’s a bullet dodged. He’s a very good young player who is a bit inconsistent. He didn’t set his own price. I’d have taken him in a heartbeat over our current options on the right.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Haaland or Sancho - this makes me laugh.
It's as if we're looking at some candy in a sweet shop.

Regarding Sancho we lost the bus and maybe it was in our own interest.
Regarding Haaland a big number of teams will be circling like wolves around him and we stand no chance with Ed & Judge in the buying seat.

chb23

I should clarify that the bullet is $120M and not Sancho :)

I still value him around the $70M mark, especially in covid climate.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haaland or Sancho - this makes me laugh.
It's as if we're looking at some candy in a sweet shop.

Regarding Haaland a big number of teams will be circling like wolves around him and we stand no chance with Ed & Judge in the buying seat.
No chance is a bit extreme, but I do agree it seems a little less likely. But we have beaten other clubs to targets before and we have the financial muscle to compete. I think the problem we'll have with Haaland is he's going to want guaranteed trophies and he'll be looking to break records. We can't really offer him that frankly.

NYAS

No chance is a bit extreme, but I do agree it seems a little less likely. But we have beaten other clubs to targets before and we have the financial muscle to compete. I think the problem we'll have with Haaland is he's going to want guaranteed trophies and he'll be looking to break records. We can't really offer him that frankly.
Depends what he’s motivated by. Maybe he might want to be the “face of United’s comeback” and in case it goes wrong, have another release clause with us where he can leave easily in a couple of years to somewhere better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Depends what he’s motivated by. Maybe he might want to be the “face of United’s comeback” and in case it goes wrong, have another release clause with us where he can leave easily in a couple of years to somewhere better.
But would we want release clauses? Wasn't that part of the stumbling process in the first place? But you're right, we don't know his motivations, for all we know he wants to be a Ronaldo like figure for us with the same long term plan of heading to Madrid after a stint with us. What is pretty clear is that money won't be an issue for us and we can price others out of the market. That does give us an advantage.

NYAS

But would we want release clauses? Wasn't that part of the stumbling process in the first place? But you're right, we don't know his motivations, for all we know he wants to be a Ronaldo like figure for us with the same long term plan of heading to Madrid after a stint with us. What is pretty clear is that money won't be an issue for us and we can price others out of the market. That does give us an advantage.
Yes, I think the clause could have been an issue before but having seen how he’s persisted with this form at a higher standard and how it becomes clearer every week how special he is, there may be more flexibility to consider it, and I’m not sure it would be such a bad idea.

Mainoldo

Sancho. It’s like picking Shearer over Figo.

We’re a Figo type club first.

hungrywing

Yes, I think the clause could have been an issue before but having seen how he’s persisted with this form at a higher standard and how it becomes clearer every week how special he is, there may be more flexibility to consider it, and I’m not sure it would be such a bad idea.
That should have been the club's stance in January.

A club that's: a. confident it can perform well enough to keep the player long-term, and b. fully cognizant of its own shortcomings, takes the risk of that clause. The 'damage to reputation' is miniscule in comparison to the potential upside - and if one does lose the player to that clause down the road, then one was massively incompetent anyway because one failed at point a.

It'd be easy to chalk the final decision down to Woodward's past track record of narcissism and ineptitude; being afraid of 'looking weak/caving' and not realizing Haaland at that price was an exceptional case. But to be fair I do wonder if we countered with a bigger signing on fee to try and remove the clause/negotiated for the clause to kick in later.

Bottom line is, if they don't budge yet if you believe you can do well enough to get him onto a bumper contract that removes the clause, then you bite the bullet.

Turning our nose up at that deal 'because we're Manchester United' and being afraid of 'looking weak' is kind of funny when you're being rinsed left right and center by much worse deals and already known as inept and weak, hence the other party being able to propose such a clause without themselves looking foolish.

It was very possibly a case of Woodburn not realizing that he's the reason they could ask for that clause with a straight face.

saeed

It depends on where Mason will be play next seasons. I think if Mason ended in the CF automatically make Sancho better choice. Also I think very real competitors are there for halland but Sancho is ours if we want.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Totally agree with this. I can't help but feel fate took us down the right road with Sancho. We have Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri who are all young and exciting prospects. Sancho would have stood in front of all of them if we paid anywhere near the prices suggested.

I doubt Haaland will be a possibility. Unless we absolutely have an amazing season and look like an amazing place to come to him, or if his desire to play for Ole comes above all else I doubt we'd get him. I think he'll have better options in terms of money and instant success. I really hope I'm wrong on that though because Haaland would be my one wish.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
We need to get strikers who have amazing movement and not static figures. Fits in better with our team than a scarecrow target man

croadyman

Totally agree with this. I can't help but feel fate took us down the right road with Sancho. We have Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri who are all young and exciting prospects. Sancho would have stood in front of all of them if we paid anywhere near the prices suggested.

I doubt Haaland will be a possibility. Unless we absolutely have an amazing season and look like an amazing place to come to him, or if his desire to play for Ole comes above all else I doubt we'd get him. I think he'll have better options in terms of money and instant success. I really hope I'm wrong on that though because Haaland would be my one wish.
Yeah he has gotta really want to link up with Ole much like Thiago did with Klopp for this to happen

Threesus

Just imagine Haaland in front of Bruno. We are just outscoring everybody and never going to lose. What a ridiculous striker. Probably one of the only young players capable of ripping up the all time goalscoring records.

Banana Republic

After today’s antics from Haaland’s agent, Raiola, Utd are going nowhere near this lad while he’s represented by this scumbag.
Sorry folks, Ealing Harland is off the menu.

crossy1686

career ending
After today I think we have to wash our hands of all Raiola players, none of his players stay at a club for more than 4 seasons anyway. We'll have a repeat of Pogba in a few years. This choice became a whole lot easier.

Sing you a song

Not a chance of signing Haaland while Raiola is his agent . Such a Shana as a front 3if Rashford Haaland and Greenwood would be amazing

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is why I said, Raiola as your agent can speak a significant part of your personality as a footballer.

croadyman

After today I think we have to wash our hands of all Raiola players, none of his players stay at a club for more than 4 seasons anyway. We'll have a repeat of Pogba in a few years. This choice became a whole lot easier.
Yeah he has definitely gone too far with that statement today on the eve of such an important match as well

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never deal with Raiola again

I don't care if he offer us Messi reincarnated, stay away