Erling Haaland or Jadon Sancho?

Which player would represent a better signing for United in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justsomebloke

Let's say Roy Keane did end his career. Does Roy Keane play for Manchester United now ?

It would be absolutely ridiculously petty for a man to counsel his son not to join a club because he was tackled by a player from that club about 20 years ago.
Absolutely. And I've not read anything to suggest this is an issue. I was just thinking out aloud, silly of me to bring it up at all really.

kidbob

I'll do against the grain somewhat and say Sancho all day every day. I'd obviously love to have the two of them but Jadon is 100% more important to us right now. Probably the best young player in the World and most importantly not only frees up but facilitates Greenwood's move to CF. I really don't think people understand what type of talent we have in Mason. He will be every bit as good as Haaland in my eyes. So because we already have a potential World Class striker then we need someone special to feed him and Sancho is that guy. Also he's English and friends with Rashford et all so he is less likely to want to move away in the end.

Moby

Dick
There isn't a shorter and easier way to a PL title than having Bruno creating chances for a finisher like Haaland. It's what Fergie would have done in a heartbeat and that's simply a potentially game breaking combo from the looks of it. Every other crack in the team will just get papered over by the sheer potential output that combo promises to deliver.

united for life

I've nothing against investing big money in Sancho, but I would definitely prefer Haaland. Unless injuries get him, he's going to be unbelievable for the next 10-15 years - he has a real potential to become the best striker in club history. And yes, I thought twice before writing that. Unfortunately, it seems likely that the same factors who stood in the way the last time he moved will continue to be obstacles. Also, though Solskjær was the one who set him on his present course when he brought him to Molde, you'd have to wonder if family history favors a move to United. It was after all Roy Keane who ended his dad's career with what amounted to intentional assault. I just hope and pray he doesn't end up with City.
this guy is an absolute beast. He’s a goal scoring machine. He has a strong personality on and off the pitch, reminds me w lot of Zlatan. He is a player that surely fits the premier league. His physical presence is something opponents would worry about. I’m not sure if his dad’s history with Keane would impact his move to united. I doubt that

Stacks

I'll do against the grain somewhat and say Sancho all day every day. I'd obviously love to have the two of them but Jadon is 100% more important to us right now. Probably the best young player in the World and most importantly not only frees up but facilitates Greenwood's move to CF. I really don't think people understand what type of talent we have in Mason. He will be every bit as good as Haaland in my eyes. So because we already have a potential World Class striker then we need someone special to feed him and Sancho is that guy. Also he's English and friends with Rashford et all so he is less likely to want to move away in the end.
Haaland already won this award and while Jadon flounders, Haaland is keeping them relevant with his 17 goals already this year.

croadyman

this guy is an absolute beast. He’s a goal scoring machine. He has a strong personality on and off the pitch, reminds me w lot of Zlatan. He is a player that surely fits the premier league. His physical presence is something opponents would worry about. I’m not sure if his dad’s history with Keane would impact his move to united. I doubt that
I am more worried about his snakey agent rather than his dad's history with Keano

swedishgloryhunter

I am more worried about his snakey agent rather than his dad's history with Keano
This is exactly why we should let håland go somewhere else. Get rid of raiola for good. Hes a great agent for his players but stirs shit up everywhere. I hope for Milan donnaruma isnt up for a contract renewal anytime soon.

macheda14

The Athletic have just reported we’ve cooled our interest on Sancho somewhat. Despite us retraining an interest the persistent rise of Greenwood and him signing a new deal has seen us want to prioritise getting a striker and a CB. However we’d still go for Sancho if the right deal arose.

Interestingly, and perhaps to be expected, The Athletic goes on to say we won’t be able to afford a huge huge spending spree. So if we make a significant outlay on one position, the other will have to be a more developing player. I.e if we go big on Haaland, we won’t be bringing in someone like Kounde.

I do feel this is setting us up for a pursuit of Haaland the summer before his release clause is up. But what I can easily see happening is is offering like 90 million, Dortmund refusing, us saying the pandemic should make them sell for that, then refusing and meanwhile a club like Chelsea buying Sancho. As a result Dortmund receive enough money and we walk away with Jack shit.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think I'd take both and drop the Declan Rice idea (if it's more than just rumour)

ShinjiNinja26

I really wanted Sancho last summer but I think that ship has sailed now with Greenwood continuing to look good off the right and the signing of Diallo. Our priorities have changed a bit now, I think we should be going all out for a top CB and Haaland which if we’re able to pull off could prove to be enough make us serious contenders.

RRCE

The Ornstein story makes no sense to me. I like Greenwood, and believe that he has a good future ahead of him, but what exactly has he done this season to suggest that he’s the long term answer on the right wing? Overall, he’s been worse than last season. He hasn‘t scored with any regularity, and he doesn’t create for others very well at this point (although he’s played a bit better lately). Greenwood is a striker, not a winger. Sancho would transform the right side of our attack. He’d be a significant upgrade on Greenwood on the right. He would give us another creator, and much more flexibility in attack (particularly against teams that play a low block against us). I suspect it would be more accurate to report that the club simply doesn’t want to spend the money it would take to get Sancho.

Withnail

The Ornstein story makes no sense to me. I like Greenwood, and believe that he has a good future ahead of him, but what exactly has he done this season to suggest that he’s the long term answer on the right wing? Overall, he’s been worse than last season. He hasn‘t scored with any regularity, and he doesn’t create for others very well at this point (although he’s played a bit better lately). Greenwood is a striker, not a winger. Sancho would transform the right side of our attack. He’d be a significant upgrade on Greenwood on the right. He would give us another creator, and much more flexibility in attack (particularly against teams that play a low block against us). I suspect it would be more accurate to report that the club simply doesn’t want to spend the money it would take to get Sancho.
Yeah it'd be a different story if Greenwood was tearing it up and Amad had been bedded into the team already and was doing well.

As things stand it's an odd explanation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If there's any truth to this, then this would in my opinion be arguably the biggest mistake we've made in the past 10 years. Both missing out on a world class 20 year old English creative right winger (which is desperately needed as our front line is all forwards/scorers now, not creators), but also shoehorning a world class striker prospect out wide where he'd develop into nothing more than an average winger. It would be an absolutely terrible move. Greenwood on the right doesn't compliment Rashford on the left with a striker through the middle, and our fullbacks our midfielders at all. Greenwood from an individual level doesn't play like a wide player at all, he's a striker playing wide and not having the natural winger movement, so as a result, he pretty much doesn't create anything and doesn't create for himself playing out there. He's a good player, so he'll work hard and be tidy, but thats all he'll ever be as a right winger. So it would be idiotic to develop him like that and pass on a world class prospect.

Brightonian

Neither Greenwood or Diallo is a good reason not to get Sancho, because everyone knows and both Mason and Ole have publicly acknowledged that his future is as some kind of central striker. And Diallo may be promising but he's hardly even touched a ball for us yet.

However, a situation where we were able to choose between Haaland or Sancho would be a good reason to give up on Sancho. Because the severity of that right wing problem is diminished by Diallo, by James appearing to come back into some form, by Greenwood proving that he can play well there and is happy to do so for now even if it's not his final destination. Whereas the difference between our play with and without Cavani and the total collapse of Martial's form suddenly makes a central striker a very urgent requirement indeed. In particular, a powerful one who can poach and score headers.

We'll be lucky to get either of them, of course. I'd probably rather get a player of a slightly less top-of-the-world calibre in at CF early in the window than risk bartering for Haaland all summer long then missing out on him and getting no-one.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
How anyone can look at the output from our right wing this season and think it’s close to good enough for getting the 90+ points needed to actually mount a title challenge is a mystery. The realty is now we’ve dropped the sancho interest because we can’t possibly afford more than one starter a summer (despite bringing in the grand total of 0 last year) we’ll sign neither of them. It’ll be last year of his contract Danny Ings and a CB with that being funded by selling off Pogba. Then next year at this point of the season we’ll be wondering what we need to add to get closer to City all over again despite the fact every year City buy better than we do. Every season we go into it thinking we’re only 3/4 players away from being a good team. It’s Groundhog Day. We’ve needed a fecking right winger for 5 years.

Wicked_Badger

Shift Martial, Mata & Lingard on, rotate Rashford, Greenwood, Haaland, Cavani (activate his 1 year option) in the front 3 spots, with Diallo/Shoretire/other youth continuing to get cameo appearances.

Buy a CB. Done.

I genuinely think the club has shifted to long-term thinking & development rather than trying to purchase success. But Haaland is too good to pass on, assuming we get the chance to actually sign him.

Yakuza_devils

Haaland or Sancho?
Do you really need to ask this question?

One has the potential to takeover Messi & Ronaldo dominance as best player in world football.

lex talionis

We can’t take media reports like this too seriously, at least not right now.

Haaland every day I get Sancho, but I don’t see it happening for us. Before committing to Sancho, we need to get a good look at what Diallo can do.

croadyman

How anyone can look at the output from our right wing this season and think it’s close to good enough for getting the 90+ points needed to actually mount a title challenge is a mystery. The realty is now we’ve dropped the sancho interest because we can’t possibly afford more than one starter a summer (despite bringing in the grand total of 0 last year) we’ll sign neither of them. It’ll be last year of his contract Danny Ings and a CB with that being funded by selling off Pogba. Then next year at this point of the season we’ll be wondering what we need to add to get closer to City all over again despite the fact every year City buy better than we do. Every season we go into it thinking we’re only 3/4 players away from being a good team. It’s Groundhog Day. We’ve needed a fecking right winger for 5 years.
Meanwhile we are told by our yankee leeches that we haven't the money to sign a creative CM replacement for Pogba because they need that cash to help service their self inflicted debt in these COVID times. Don't even get me started on having to just make do with McFred as our DM options either with Matic as our only proper one.

Last edited:

bsCallout

How can anyone look at our output from CF and think that is not our biggest priority.

We have signed a RW. His name is Amad. He is the second coming.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Rather have Graelish than either of them, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Haaland. Not sure that Sancho has that win at all cost mentality.

We need an rvn

Really?! I like Grealish a lot but we are actually alright at LW and CAM. We are poor at CF & RW.
CF we do have Mason who hasn't played there for a bit but feel he's ready to take it to the next level soon. Buying Haaland can stifle Mason in his best position and then where do you stick Mason for the next x years, not in his best / favourite spot?

RW we do have Diallo who I'd love to see over the next few months before deciding whether to boost there or not. But agree that area in theory does need to be improved. But if you're buying Haaland, would you not stick Rashford out there?

Out of curiosity, who do we have on LW as that's an area I'd love to improve as we have a lot of right footers who can cut in, but struggling with technically gifted left footers at that position.

I almost feel like we're trying to fit too many clogs in 3 positions. When you look at the great Barca squad of Neymar, Messi and Suarez, that was your attacking 3. We all knew they would start in big matches. If you had Haaland, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Diallo to pick from you'd constantly be tinkering

bsCallout

CF we do have Mason who hasn't played there for a bit but feel he's ready to take it to the next level soon. Buying Haaland can stifle Mason in his best position and then where do you stick Mason for the next x years, not in his best / favourite spot?

RW we do have Diallo who I'd love to see over the next few months before deciding whether to boost there or not. But agree that area in theory does need to be improved. But if you're buying Haaland, would you not stick Rashford out there?

Out of curiosity, who do we have on LW as that's an area I'd love to improve as we have a lot of right footers who can cut in, but struggling with technically gifted left footers at that position.

I almost feel like we're trying to fit too many clogs in 3 positions. When you look at the great Barca squad of Neymar, Messi and Suarez, that was your attacking 3. We all knew they would start in big matches. If you had Haaland, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Diallo to pick from you'd constantly be tinkering
Rashford has always played LW and is putting up great numbers, why would he be moved?

Mason is not far enough along to lead the line for a title winning team. Look at his scoring form.

Diallo, Greenwood and James are great options at RW.

We need a CF who guarantees goals.

Very few LWs are naturally left footed. It's not an issue, never has been.

Rashford - Haaland - Diallo/Greenwood.

croadyman

Rashford has always played LW and is putting up great numbers, why would he be moved?

Mason is not far enough along to lead the line for a title winning team. Look at his scoring form.

Yeah there is no doubt we need a CF goal machine

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Agreed.

USREDEVIL

Watching Haaland in the premier league would be fantastic! He's very unique. This big train just running with the ball but has some great skill. As much as i want Sancho as our high quality RW option, Haaland is on another level right now.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
How can anyone look at our output from CF and think that is not our biggest priority.

We have signed a RW. His name is Amad. He is the second coming.
Yes we need both. They’re all our biggest priorities. People will defend the club and say that’s impossible to do in one window but the reality is we went into last summer needing a starting DM, CB, RW and Striker and ended the summer still needing a starting DM, CB, RW and striker. Now we can’t possibly bring in all those positions in one summer so we’ll do two at most. By the time we get around to completing the rebuild we’ll need another rebuild because Maguire, Pogba and Bruno will all be 32.

croadyman

Yes we need both. They’re all our biggest priorities. People will defend the club and say that’s impossible to do in one window but the reality is we went into last summer needing a starting DM, CB, RW and Striker and ended the summer still needing a starting DM, CB, RW and striker. Now we can’t possibly bring in all those positions in one summer so we’ll do two at most. By the time we get around to completing the rebuild we’ll need another rebuild because Maguire, Pogba and Bruno will all be 32.
Yeah someone the other day gave the analogy of a boat with holes in it and thought that was very apt, so in other words by the time we have filled the holes at CB, DM, RW & CF we will have other issues that need addressing. That is the disadvantage of a slow rebuild forced on us due to our yankee leech owners

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There isn't a shorter and easier way to a PL title than having Bruno creating chances for a finisher like Haaland. It's what Fergie would have done in a heartbeat and that's simply a potentially game breaking combo from the looks of it. Every other crack in the team will just get papered over by the sheer potential output that combo promises to deliver.
Yup I can visualize this happening regardless of who's coaching you. It would be a very good combo those two and it will be a matter on keeping both on form throughout the season. Nevertheless I think it's more likely he ends up in City than in United.

Godfather

So to be clear: We WERE in for Sancho after a very good and promising season from Greenwood but stopped our pursuit after a fairly underwhelming one? Makes a lot of sense.
Don't expext us to do much in the summer. We rarely do when we get the excuses out early

croadyman

So to be clear: We WERE in for Sancho after a very good and promising season from Greenwood but stopped our pursuit after a fairly underwhelming one? Makes a lot of sense.
Don't expext us to do much in the summer. We rarely do when we get the excuses out early
Yeah you know when the excuse articles from the usual suspects (Whitwell, Ducker) come out that it's time to start preparing yourself for making one decent signing and a promising unknown youngster. Maybe there is a DM out there that is like the Amad signing but certainly not gonna hold my breath on that happening this summer.

Teja

Not sure Diallo, Greenwood, James are great options at RW TBH but agree that if we get Haaland it'll probably have an RvP like effect.

Crustanoid

Ed is not likely to do any impressive deals this summer or any other so you can rule them both out

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Made a mistake in the other thread. His release clause is 66 million euros and not 75.