Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Imagine selling Lukaku just to buy an unproven younger less experienced version of Lukaku.
Even if he was the same player stylistically (he's not), he's one who can score in big games and doesn't crumble mentally every time (evidenced by scoring so many consecutive goals in the CL this year, which for them are all very big and hyped up games).

Lukaku flopping was more to do with his mentality than his talent.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Firstly,, apologies for my ignorance about what ended seniors career. I had it In my head he never fully recovered from that Keane tackle and it was a reason he retired.

I see the prospect, I’m one of the more positive fans. I’m thinking about it logistically, and given the interest of other teams I’d be surprised if his dad was recommending he join us above all others. It seems like Haaland wants to develop properly, so if I’m advising him right now I’d be honest and say that the united frontline looks like it might be going places. Even though his manager would be a former boss and fellow countryman, Haalands arrival would disrupt team harmony to some degree. Any united fan happy to trade tbd potential of Haaland for the potential peak years of martial Is playing a risky game IMO. When I talk about uncertainty around our squad, it’s more with regards to overall fit. I think there are better options and am certain he will choose wisely.
No worries.

His father's poor memories of our club is negated by his sons relationship with the manager, so I can't see him actively pushing his son to another club for that reason. The decision is going to be made based on what is best for his career long term and that could well be us.

Now I'm not saying he will join us, but we have as good a chance as any. You look at the other clubs that eat at the same table as us, and none are in as desperate need for reinforcements as we are. There is a genuine chance he could come in and be the #1 CF for us within a few months. We are going to pay him as well as anyone. He's going to get the chance to play in front of 70k+ fans on a regular basis, the vast majority of whom are Incredibly affectionate and appreciative of anyone who plays for us. The exposure he'll get at United is second to none. He'll get to play for a club with an incredibly rich and immersive history, and know that there's a very good chance he could add his name to our pantheon of legends by being part of our re-emergence as a trophy winning club. We are going to get better, and being part of that 'project' could be very tempting.

He'sRaldo

I've found Dortmund to be one of the most overrated teams for young players in recent years.

Whilst many of their players do end up leaving to go towards better clubs, they don't ever really end up having tantalising careers there do they? I can't really think of many apart from Lewandowski who has made a well and true step up in his career, moved to a top 10 world club and kept his form up there. Something about the way they play football just doesn't click at other clubs.
I've thought similar recently as well. I wonder what it is?

Lemansky

Imagine selling Lukaku just to buy an unproven younger less experienced version of Lukaku.
Yeah. Superb comparison. Lukaku wanted to go. It was his own decision. And good of us selling a player that did not want to be here.And IMAGINE buying a replacement for the guy who did not want to be here. IMAGINE.

reddevil702

I haven't seen much of him so I really don't care if we get him or not. I'd rather we get a more experienced striker that can help us now. Our attacking core overall is young so there's not a worry that they will need replacing. We have a young striker with great potential in Greenwood and it's likely Haaland might need the same amount of time to reach his potential at United when you think about the usual adjustment period of switching to a new league (look at Jovic & Moise Kean or Felix) and he's not a finished product yet. I would instead bring in a player like Cavani, we can probably get him for a minimal fee in Jan. and he would be here for 1-2 years max. At which point Greenwood would be ready to compete with Martial.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Firstly, apologies for my ignorance about what ended seniors career. I had it In my head he never fully recovered from that Keane tackle and it was a reason he retired.

I see the prospect, I’m one of the more positive fans. I’m thinking about it logistically, and given the interest of other teams I’d be surprised if his dad was recommending he join us above all others. It seems like Haaland wants to develop properly, so if I’m advising him right now I’d be honest and say that the united frontline looks like it might be going places. Even though his manager would be a former boss and fellow countryman, Haalands arrival would disrupt team harmony to some degree. Any united fan happy to trade the potential of Haaland for the potential peak years of martial Is playing a risky game IMO. When I talk about uncertainty around our squad, it’s more with regards to overall fit. I think there are better options and am certain he will choose wisely.
The lad is 19, and still has to develop. I would think both Alf and Erling will be looking at the next three years, and seeing where he would have the best environment to be able to develop into a top class striker. He will see how Rashford has come on recently, also McTominay and James under Ole's tutorship, and with having worked with him before, will know how he works, and probably be comfortable with that. However, reading between the lines a bit, Alf has also stated, I believe, that Erling would be better suited to the English Premiership when he is older, possibly waiting for Leeds to get back in the Premiership, so he could go there? Money is also a big draw, and both are fully aware that an injury could finish a career very easily, so if Erling is earning a few bob whilst still learning his trade, then that would be a great bonus for him, and he would certainly earn good money at OT. I wouldn't expect Erling to be first choice straight away, and I think both father and son realise that he would probably not be first choice wherever he went, but he would get a few games at United when Martial needed a break. I would love Haaland to come to United, and I think there is every chance, but I think it depends on which club have the best coaching set up for him to thrive.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Given that you've been a newbie for years - and assuming (perhaps wrongly) that you're aiming for promotion - let me provide you with some advice: Don't post sarcastic content unless it's bleedin' obvious that said content is indeed sarcastic. There are so many idiots posting on here - that is, people who post genuinely idiotic stuff - that you can't safely assume your witty efforts will hit the mark.

Ban

Yeah. Superb comparison. Lukaku wanted to go. It was his own decision. And good of us selling a player that did not want to be here.And IMAGINE buying a replacement for the guy who did not want to be here. IMAGINE.
It's like comparing a cow and a ballet.

pascell

I've found Dortmund to be one of the most overrated teams for young players in recent years.

Whilst many of their players do end up leaving to go towards better clubs, they don't ever really end up having tantalising careers there do they? I can't really think of many apart from Lewandowski who has made a well and true step up in his career, moved to a top 10 world club and kept his form up there. Something about the way they play football just doesn't click at other clubs.
The only other players I can think of that went on to have success are Hummels and Gundogan, possibly Gotze to some extent. Apart from that I agree with you, Diallo, Dahoud, Weigl, Mor, Isak have all moved on or stagnated in their careers for one reason or another. Sancho was always going to be a star, they just needed to give him game time and stick with him when he had dips in form.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
He will either go to Juventus or one of the German clubs, I don't think we will ever get a player with Mino Raiola on the other side.
We did get Pogba. There's nothing difficult to understand about Raiola. You pay him what wants and you give his client the best possible contract and the player is yours.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've thought similar recently as well. I wonder what it is?
The only other players I can think of that went on to have success are Hummels and Gundogan, possibly Gotze to some extent. Apart from that I agree with you, Diallo, Dahoud, Weigl, Mor, Isak have all moved on or stagnated in their careers for one reason or another. Sancho was always going to be a star, they just needed to give him game time and stick with him when he had dips in form.
I mean I look at Gundogan and he isn't even getting a full season of games at City on a consistent basis. Hummels hasn't really come back from Bayern in the legendary status he left to join them and even the players like Aubameyang are actually wasting their time at Arsenal.

It feels like instead of Dortmund actually being some transitional club that it can sometimes take in to the best years of you, especially those years when you need to make a proper decision about when and whom to possibly leave to - if you get to comfortable there.

On the other side - they are an exceptionally well trained team that reminds me of the old Arsenal a bit, not tactically - but more so how they can play a style of football a long time & in their own tempo and tactics that possibly maybe makes a players individual ability look slightly better than they are - or occasionally make it harder for players to adapt to other tactics or set ups either the longer the play there. I never really saw alot of Arsenal players leave Wenger and do well either even players like Fabregas and Henry who did well but looked a level below at times even when taking in injuries and age in to consideration.

You look at Leicester though and I see that as a Young Players stepping stone club much more than Dortmund even if they are out shining the bigger clubs themselves.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There’s no reason to come here except for monetary gain.

Ambitious young players have many more options nowadays. If they want to play in England then City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would be ahead of us for the majority of foreign players... heck, even Arsenal may be preferable due to them being a big London club.

There’s literally nothing attractive about Manchester United except for big wages.
:rolleyes:
The f*ck is this BS ?

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
My scouts on Football Manager says he might struggle with injuries...Do not want!

Is this accurate in real life?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
How many more times are people going to peddle this utter horse sht?
You know Haaland played a few days after the Keane incident don't you?
It’s like this myth that Possebon was going to be a star but Pogatetz ended his career at the top level.

peridigm

Does he play as a loan CF now or in a pair? Could he partner Martial with Rashford and James on the flanks?

Gasolin

We did get Pogba. There's nothing difficult to understand about Raiola. You pay him what wants and you give his client the best possible contract and the player is yours.
I know but we cannot do that that easily. Right now, our debt went up. It's not that straight forward financially for us.

Bebestation

I know but we cannot do that that easily. Right now, our debt went up. It's not that straight forward financially for us.
But neither is he going to cost Pogba money so it's not going to effect our debt.

It's a relatively low cost transfer deal for a striker with a large margin of it aiming to go to the player and the agent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Ambitious young players have many more options nowadays. If they want to play in England then City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would be ahead of us for the majority of foreign players... heck, even Arsenal may be preferable due to them being a big London club.

There’s literally nothing attractive about Manchester United except for big wages.
Yeah cause no club has ever turned a bad run around and the size and prestige of a club mean nothing right :rolleyes:

You must wonder how Liverpool managed to turn themselves around after 30 years without a title. Or Real Madrid a decade ago when they lost 5-0 to Liverpool.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Sorry if I’ve simply missed it, but is Romano’s claim new? I can’t see anything about it on here.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Wow I thought I had a downer on the club but even then.

yo@Kirk

I don't understand what Martial has done to become irreplaceable. Martial has averaged a goal every 215 minutes of PL competition and a goal every 424 minutes of CL competition at United. Haaland has averaged a goal every 47 minutes of CL competition for Salzberg. Just because Martial is the best we have right now shouldn't make him irreplaceable.

Haaland would be cup tied at Dortmund, Leipzig, or Juve, so less playing opportunities at those clubs. He's good enough to challenge Martial for the starting #9 spot. His combination of physical abilities and technical skills give us something we don't currently have against teams that sit deep. Just put a little more money in his and his agent's pocket than the other 3 suitors are offering and he's ours. Why not?

Gasolin

I don't understand what Martial has done to become irreplaceable. Martial has averaged a goal every 215 minutes of PL competition and a goal every 424 minutes of CL competition at United. Haaland has averaged a goal every 47 minutes of CL competition for Salzberg. Just because Martial is the best we have right now shouldn't make him irreplaceable.

Haaland would be cup tied at Dortmund, Leipzig, or Juve, so less playing opportunities at those clubs. He's good enough to challenge Martial for the starting #9 spot. His combination of physical abilities and technical skills give us something we don't currently have against teams that sit deep. Just put a little more money in his and his agent's pocket than the other 3 suitors are offering and he's ours. Why not?
No you're right, it's just that money is probably not that easy for us right now.

Suv666

He looks really good but tbh BVB would be a better option at this stage. They are really good at nuturing talent

lysglimt

Scout

Do people like you grow on trees or are you created in a laboratory ? :)

Bebestation

It's absolutely nothing to do with Martial.

Bringing Martial in to the equation as to why Manchester United as a club and Ole as a manager may not be able to or want to bring Haaland here is not worthy.

It could be to do with money, it could be that Ole isn't being backed or we can't afford him or his agent fees, maybe Ole knows him well enough to know he may struggle or we'll enough to go after him but the player not being interested in moving here for so many reasons - CL, previous problems, his own fanatics.

I don't know why bringing Martial in to this is the reason we supposedly don't go or don't get Haaland? What proof is that? Ole might even be thinking that Greenwood is better than Haaland after coaching then both & wants to give him more time.

I'm sure if Ole was interested in Haaland and thought he was good enough for United after previously managing him, if he was allowed a transfer window to spend money freely in positions he thought were needed all topped out with Haaland wanting to move here - then the likelyhood of it happening looks extremely high and Martial, Rashford or any other player has hardly anything to do with it.

iHicksy

For those saying "why would he come here?" Erm perhaps because apart from Chelsea who have been forced to do so, we are absolutely the only top club who would develop him as a footballer by giving him first team football straight away. He's not going to go to the likes of City or Pool and sit on the bench behind the likes of Aguero, Jesus, Salah, Mane, Firmino. Plus playing for a manager who he knows and trusts at a club with a proven track record of promoting youth, which is further enhanced with Ole in charge and our recent desire to re-commit to trusting youth we are a superbly attractive package, and that's before mentioning that we will pay the highest wages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jeeze i just don’t know if his da, Leeds Alf Inge Haaland would let him join us after Keane broke both his legs and ate his second born child

Gasolin

Jeeze i just don’t know if his da, Leeds Alf Inge Haaland would let him join us after Keane broke both his legs and ate his second born child
I know you're being completely sarcastic and you know that's not true but I am so worried the Caf might think it's true... :lol: .

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I actually think he wanted to go because Ole marginalized him and told him he wasn't cruicial to his future plans. This idea that Lukaku chose to go and wasn't forced out doesn't ring true with how he was being played under Ole.

lsd

The Oracle
I haven't seen much of him so I really don't care if we get him or not. I'd rather we get a more experienced striker that can help us now. Our attacking core overall is young so there's not a worry that they will need replacing. We have a young striker with great potential in Greenwood and it's likely Haaland might need the same amount of time to reach his potential at United when you think about the usual adjustment period of switching to a new league (look at Jovic & Moise Kean or Felix) and he's not a finished product yet. I would instead bring in a player like Cavani, we can probably get him for a minimal fee in Jan. and he would be here for 1-2 years max. At which point Greenwood would be ready to compete with Martial.

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.