Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Striker is the least of our worries right now despite what people want to believe. There is no NEED for a striker to come in asap. Our front players have goals in them and have already scored plenty this season especially given the circumstances.

What's actually impeding them and circumventing their output to be even better is an inept midfield. The lack of creativity coming from the midfield is WHAT actually getting us in trouble.

Haa land will get here and struggle badly. Not only he has no experience in the PL and not used and would need to cope with the fast pace and physicality of the league, he won't be getting much support from midfield and not getting enough services. All this coupled with the pressure of playing for United would mean that we've just added another body which doesn't help much.

However if the midfield is fixed first, bringing in more strikers would actually make sense, especially ones who would rely on services. People expecting some kid coming from a far lower league and banging goals for us in the PL with our creativity issues have got this entire situation all wrong.

Fair enough if he's gettable on the cheap as quoted with his release clause(20 millions) and actually is as immensely talented as some keep claiming. But he isn't a priority nor someone that'll fix our immediate issues without fixing our midfield first.
It’s easy to understand where you are coming from, however the fact of the matter is that the football elite simply do not conduct their business in such a structured and logical way like most other ‘traditional’ businesses.

When it comes to transfers the big clubs especially operate using a much more fluid and flexible model.

If a player the club deems to be a top talent becomes available, then it doesn’t necessarily matter if the position in question is an urgent priority or not. You do not miss out on ‘generational’ talents just because we have other pressing concerns as we may not have another opportunity to sign them.

A club of our size and stature can work on multiple deals at once (I know it may not seem like it), and we can afford to buy the likes of Haaland and a CM, RW, LB etc, it just may not happen in the order you expect it to.

We are building a team for the future that much is obvious, I personally wouldn’t fixate on which position we sign first as they will all (hopefully) contribute to our success in the years to come, it’s not just about this season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s easy to understand where you are coming from, however the fact of the matter is that the football elite simply do not conduct their business in such a structured and logical way like most other ‘traditional’ businesses.

When it comes to transfers the big clubs especially operate using a much more fluid and flexible model.

If a player the club deems to be a top talent becomes available, then it doesn’t necessarily matter if the position in question is an urgent priority or not. You do not miss out on ‘generational’ talents just because we have other pressing concerns as we may not have another opportunity to sign them.

A club of our size and stature can work on multiple deals at once (I know it may not seem like it), and we can afford to buy the likes of Haaland and a CM, RW, LB etc, it just may not happen in the order you expect it to.

We are building a team for the future that much is obvious, I personally wouldn’t fixate on which position we sign first as they will all (hopefully) contribute to our success in the years to come, it’s not just about this season.
Fergie used to say all the time that you always had to go for “special” talents when they come around. We signed Rooney early because Newcastle were sniffing around and the rest is history. No reason why Haaland couldn’t have the same long term impact. If he’s available then we should try our hardest to get him

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You know this saga has gone on for too long when you come into, and read, page 132 of this thread. :lol:

Litch

Complete lottery buying a lad of his age from a different league. Yes done well in CL but people seem to underestimate the level of expectation when signing for a club of our size irrespective of where we are currently in the league. Even if he signs in Jan, it's unrealistic that we should expect anything from him at this point in the season. Knowing how this forum works, after a few games this side of the season if he doesn't score people will be writing him off anyway.

Rocknrolla69er

I (think) it was first commented in German newpaper Bild quite a while ago. It was later (more recently) confirmed by RP Leipzigs DOF that the clause was in fact 20 million Euro, but pundits and everyone else, myself include just run with £ since its more easily relatable.
Cheers pal

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We have 3 players capable of playing striker and two of them start every game. One injury and we’re completely fecked up front and out wide. I can’t see how a striker isn’t a priority.
Totally agree. We actually only have one current player that could lead the line,1.5 counting Greenwood. Rashford is far from being able to lead it, his best position is out wide.
Thus, we absolutely need a quality striker regardless of age.

lsd

The Oracle
Complete lottery buying a lad of his age from a different league. Yes done well in CL but people seem to underestimate the level of expectation when signing for a club of our size irrespective of where we are currently in the league. Even if he signs in Jan, it's unrealistic that we should expect anything from him at this point in the season. Knowing how this forum works, after a few games this side of the season if he doesn't score people will be writing him off anyway.

I'm writing him off now

Lara lhg

Glad we did not sign him

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
All gone very quiet, suspect the reason is that something's been agreed with someone somewhere

beingshe7don

I prefer we went after Werner instead. Werner is a United fan as well. Wouldn't need much convincing to come here and he can play on the wings as well.

calcio

If the rumors are true this is extremely poor on both Ole and Woodward. Should have been a slam dunk for Ole and the Glazers need to realize the jock strap sniffer is out of his element and we need a DoF.

beingshe7don

If the rumors are true this is extremely poor on both Ole and Woodward. Should have been a slam dunk for Ole and the Glazers need to realize the jock strap sniffer is out of his element and we need a DoF.
I know what's going to happen. Ole will come out and say that since Martial, Rashford and Greenwood have been in good form, we didn't think of getting a ST in. We were focusing on strengthening midfield since Mctominay is out injured. Pogba is new signing for us as we've missed him all season. #typicalolebullshit.

Eriku

I know what's going to happen. Ole will come out and say that since Martial, Rashford and Greenwood have been in good form, we didn't think of getting a ST in. We were focusing on strengthening midfield since Mctominay is out injured. Pogba is new signing for us as we've missed him all season. #typicalolebullshit.
Any excuse to dream up a scenario that enables you guys to piss on Ole, huh?

Christ, give it a rest.

Suvvernmanc

Any excuse to dream up a scenario that enables you guys to piss on Ole, huh?

Christ, give it a rest.
My thoughts too. Who knows, maybe we just dont think we need him and would rather get a right winger and give Greenwood more chances?. 5 players in attack is about right. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James and Sancho?

If this is true, cant people just trust that what we the fans want and what Ole wants is probably 2 different things?

Gasolin

This is insane, Juve is going to get him, and Ole could not make it happen? Unbelievable Ole... that one should be yours, what the hell? I am hugely disappointed by this.

dev1l

This is insane, Juve is going to get him, and Ole could not make it happen? Unbelievable Ole... that one should be yours, what the hell? I am hugely disappointed by this.
Don't forget Raiola. Most probably he inserted some clauses that were not acceptable for us like he did with DeLigt release clause.
Just speculating for the time being, but that s how the fat cnut works

Gasolin

Don't forget Raiola. Most probably he inserted some clauses that were not acceptable for us like he did with DeLigt release clause.
Just speculating for the time being, but that s how the fat cnut works
What were those clauses? I just don't remember, something to do with releases?

dev1l

What were those clauses? I just don't remember, something to do with releases?
DeLigt apart from.the high salary has a release clause in.his contract. After certain amount of years he can leave if someone pays Juventus a certain fee.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
A player with whom you have such a connection? I think you could. I am only disappointed because I think that guy would have listened to Ole.
Just because he knows the guy personally doesn't mean anything. He might not fancy where we are right now, he isn't going to suddenly develop a fetish for top 4 battles just because his old boss came calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.