Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he has a £20m release clause which is active in January as alluded by Luckhurst in his MEN piece, then it will be a very good deal for us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In 2017 he said his dream was to win the PL with Leeds. So if he ends up here it'll be Ronaldo all over again, just change Real with the mighty Leeds.
Ha, yeah.

I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.

theklr

What you guys think of having borh Haaland and Greenwood in the team?

Wont they both impede eachothers developement and match time?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Nope. They can play together if needs be, Greenwood can play on both sides of attack as well as a number 10.

Between Rashford/Greenwood/Haaland/Martial/James that's a nice balance for 3 positions.

That leaves us with Pogba/Lingard,Pereira,Mata for the 10 position. More than likely Mata goes next year.

His technique is better than it looks. He has still got a lot of work to do on ball control, first touches, etc, but those long arms and legs swinging everywhere makes him look more clumsy than he is. His dribbling is actually good. Unconventional but quite effective. He looks like a 3/10 on the technical scale, but is more like 5/10. Or something.

dogwithabone

Still don’t know why we’ve sold Lukaku to replace him with players just like him.

Just like Lukaku ? Not from what I’ve seen. Haaland’s movement, mobility and technique is on a different level to the Lukaku that was at United. He looked very mobile for a big lad.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
After watching a few videos, I’m not totally convinced. His technical ability is questionable. He runs with his head down and his dribbling and ball control is quite awkward looking. He does look like a decent finisher though. For a low fee, I guess he’s worth a punt, but I’m not seeing where all the hype is coming from.
He does look a bit Everton Lukaku-ish but not much lost for 20m. James was pretty much the same price.

He’s a goal machine nonetheless and still a teenager. There’s an intensity in his play though that Lukaku never had, he doesn’t go hiding, his movement is always there.

montpelier

You're just plain wrong i'm afraid.

He doesn't score goals because of his size. He isn't wrestling defenders away with his arms then snatching the ball off them, it's down to his anticipation, good movement and acceleration.

His ability to smash the ball low and hard at almost any angle is another reason why his shot % is so high, he rarely skies them.

People say his technique is poor, but it's absolutely fine. His 1 touch passing is much better than Lukaku's, better than Rashfords.

Half the youtube scouts on here said Daniel James was a kick and run footballer who couldn't dribble, look how that turned out :lol:
Yes, thanks.

Due to how much I seem to watch these days I haven't actually seen an awful lot more of James. Who I would assess like this...

Not definitely gonna make it but has a chance due to the lightning first 5 yards, very good spirit and plays with his head up, nice first touch and doesn't over complicate. I'd be worried about him being so small and I don't like the diving, because I don't think it helps him, as much as anything. Might be very useful for 2-3 years then fade. I don't see how you don't really rate him though.

I have a reasonably good previous record, apart from DDG, who I categorically thought was never gonna make it.

I'm not saying Haaland wouldn't, I was just smashing out a speculative clueless opinion to see how hot we are for this guy.

At least it's interesting. I've seen us buy a lot worse, that's for sure.

jackal&hyde

To me he looks like he has a much better engine then Lukaku and that makes him much better for a high pressing side. Also looks like he has more agility, deceptively quick feet if that makes any sense.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If he has a £20m release clause which is active in January as alluded by Luckhurst in his MEN piece, then it will be a very good deal for us.
Yeah, I understand some concerns about his technical ability.

But, he's 19 and for £20m it is a no brainer.

Can he do a job on the right if needed?
No, from what I have seen. He is a pure CF.

Artorias

Ole has to play it smart here. Just buy the kid, but offer (if he wants) a loan move for the rest of the season.

montpelier

He looks exciting is I guess where the hype comes from, which I don't disagree with.

I was thinking a little bit Fat Ronaldo, until I've just read that he can't trap a bag of cement, which is a bit worrying.

The Greenwood kid can finish, it doesn't take long to spot that.

Rajma

For 20m it’s going to be a good business no matter what, however if reports around the clause are wrong we should stay clear. Pretty straightforward situation all things considered.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
After watching a few videos, I’m not totally convinced. His technical ability is questionable. He runs with his head down and his dribbling and ball control is quite awkward looking. He does look like a decent finisher though. For a low fee, I guess he’s worth a punt, but I’m not seeing where all the hype is coming from.
The 8 goals in the Champions League, and subsequent scoring record is the primary reason for all the hype

RedRoach

I don’t get where the comparisons with Lukaku are coming from. He is no Messi but it is clear from the videos his first touch and control are way better than Lukaku.

He actually reminds me more of Kane who also has that awkward style where it looks like he might lose control at any moment

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think Hailand's playing style is similar to Lewandowski's style of play. But is that the type of striker United needs? I think a player like Dembele from Lyon fits better into United's attacking game. He is fast, dribble and has a really good technique. I think Dembele could be crazy for United.
Haaland looks fast enough from what I've seen. He can go on a burst of a run and really carry the ball.

MrVolley

I think Haaland has great potential but would have much preferred Minamino as much of Salzburg's dynamism comes through the Japanese international.

theklr

I think Haaland has great potential but would have much preferred Minamino as much of Salzburg's dynamism comes through the Japanese international.
Lucky that we have some alright wingers ourselves :)

Suvvernmanc

Nope. They can play together if needs be, Greenwood can play on both sides of attack as well as a number 10.

Between Rashford/Greenwood/Haaland/Martial/James that's a nice balance for 3 positions.

That leaves us with Pogba/Lingard,Pereira,Mata for the 10 position. More than likely Mata goes next year.
5 players for those positions is perfect. City went 1 too far and have 6 players. It had affected the players, mainly Sane and since his injury their squad has looked much happier. Even liverpool with Shaqiri and Origi as backups works.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
5 players for those positions is perfect. City went 1 too far and have 6 players. It had affected the players, mainly Sane and since his injury their squad has looked much happier. Even liverpool with Shaqiri and Origi as backups works.
Especially as Greenwood will still be only 18 at the start of next season. Being one of the five would be excellent progress for any player of that age.

peridigm

Just an observation from the video I watched. All but one of the 24 goals in the video were scored inside the 18. Maybe a hand full from inside the 6. Not many headers. Still, he’s scoring goals which we’re having trouble with.

theklr

But but we are getting Sancho as well!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Exactly. Best part is everyone is versatile to play multiple positions except Haaland. We will have good enough depth to rotate properly.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This one seems too obvious, at 20 million he’s totally worth a punt especially seeing as he’ll run through brick walls for ole. There’s no downside. At 80 million I expect an awful lot more due diligence and actual thought about whether he will be our main striker for years to come. I think there are still too many questions to invest that kind of money in him. Does he suit our style and is he the best player we can get for that kind of money? I’m of the thinking that someone like havertz behind martial and Rashford would be a better use of the cash.

Brophs

The One and Only
If we've learned anything from the last few years it's that very few of our attacking players tend to be in form at the same time. Options are a good thing, particuarly when you've had problems scoring goals over the last few years.

NoLogo

I think Rashford will play from the left exclusively from now on so I'd discount him. I expect Greenwood to play mostly from the right. He's James only quality competition for that position. So he'd be competing with Martial. He'd get loads of football. Having him there would hopefully keep Anthony on his toes also.

Should we sign Haaland we'd have a nice set of options imo. 5 hugely talented young players for 3 positions. Plenty of flexibility also.

LF
Rashford
James
Martial

CF
Martial
Haaland
Greenwood

RF
James
Greenwood
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against signing him. I just try to put myself in his shoes and think what I would take into account if moving to a new club. Fact of the matter is that at the moment Dortmund hasn't got a set starting striker. Alcacer seems to get injured every second game he plays and apart from that they have to use either Reus or someone else who isn't really a striker to play there. At RB Leipzig he would have to get past Werner first but on the other hand they play quite often with two strikers as well.

Of course in the end it will probably come down to what the numbers on the contract says if the wages we offer are twice as much as those Dortmund and Leipzig do I think he will pretty fast forget about any other aspect of his career planning.

Canagel

Of course yes. Have you seen any club in the world that has two teenage strikers (different styles) and they coexisted together successfully? What we should have been doing if we are really clever is activate Ziyech's clause (goalscorer and assist maker) to balance our RW and solve our creativity deficiencies at the same time. Another prospect is the last thing this team needs.

peridigm

This one seems too obvious, at 20 million he’s totally worth a punt especially seeing as he’ll run through brick walls for ole. There’s no downside. At 80 million I expect an awful lot more due diligence and actual thought about whether he will be our main striker for years to come. I think there are still too many questions to invest that kind of money in him. Does he suit our style and is he the best player we can get for that kind of money? I’m of the thinking that someone like havertz behind martial and Rashford would be a better use of the cash.
How much did we pay for Martial and what were his goal scoring stats prior to moving here? I don’t remember any hype at all about Martial and the transfer seemed to come out of nowhere. The only thing I do recall is that most thought it was a waste of money. This is his 5th season I believe. If we all had the gift of hindsight, would we still want him?

In the current transfer market I thinks it’s important to take chances on cheaper yet young performing players. We’ve spent loads on absolute garbage over recent times. I believe Haaland fits Ole’s requirements of a young hungry player except he also has shown great goal scoring numbers. Let’s not pretend Martial is our main man going forward. Every player is replaceable if someone better is available. If we buy this kid and he carries his current goal scoring form to United, Martial would be the first to be dropped unless Ole can play them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.