Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dve

This!!

Looking at those players you listed I only see James as one happy to fill the squad player role, all the others would expect to play week in week out and kick up a fuss pretty quickly if it weren't the case

It's a situation pretty similar to the one Spurs had 2 years ago, they had a set starting XI which wasn't good enough to win the league but the players within that XI were too good to be backups so at some point you have to just sell one of those too good for the bench if it means replacing them with a next level star

I look at us at the moment I would suggest the perfect mix for us would be

Undisputed first choice striker who plays week in week out (in this scenario it would be Martial or Haaland assuming either are good enough)
Someone like Mandzukic - as an impact sub and starting the lesser games
Greenwood - as above but obviously at a different stage of his career
You keep them happy by rotating them. And there will be injuries.

60 minutes played, United are struggling, and on the bench you have James and Haaland. That´s a new world of options for Ole.

Got2be

Got a small injury before kick off. Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infra-red

We obviously need a striker. People saying otherwise, have lost their tiny minds. Whether or not Haaland is the best option, is another matter.

passing-wind

Competitive competition between Haland and Martial is justified. They are both young, it's not a forgone conclusion that one starts over the other because they are landslides apart in quality, like witnessed with Aguero / G.Jesus. We need a striker irrespective due to Lukakus departure, Rashford turns into Rashbandicoot as a centre forward his best position is as an inside forward.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
As for Haaland I wonder how much his goalscoring will drop off when he plays for a team that doesn't have particularly creative players next to him. Hwang and Minamino are not like Rashford and Martial. They each have 3 assists in the champions league this season with 2.3 key passes a game. I'm sure he'd still score goals but not at the same pace
Haaland has scored virtually all his goals (with a few exceptions) from 11m and in. We have no problems getting the ball too Haaland. What we have lacked is a finisher who is a "sure" thing. Rashford, for all his good qualities, burns so many chances its painful sometimes.

He was excellent against Brighton, and yet he missed a open goal (again). I don't believe Haaland not getting the ball is the problem. My question is: Can he be half as dominant as he is in the Austrian league?

Renegade

How about the striker that is in form and scoring plays? Martial should t have a guaranteed place in the 11. If he enjoys being a 9 and playing week in and week out then it’s on him to Perform consistently and try his best to stay fit and healthy. Why should the club suffer when he gets injured?

get Haaland in. And some competition for Rashford/James too.

Eriku

Martial has played terrible on the wing, looking disinterested and lost. Please stop following me around and replying to my posts.
:lol:

He replied to a point you made that was wrong, stop being precious.

DoomSlayer

How about the striker that is in form and scoring plays? Martial should t have a guaranteed place in the 11. If he enjoys being a 9 and playing week in and week out then it’s on him to Perform consistently and try his best to stay fit and healthy. Why should the club suffer when he gets injured?

By your logic, we should get a set of 11 new players so that everybody has top class competition? This isn't a fecking game where you can keep every player happy by simple rotation.

DSG

And this why our transfer strategy has been shite for so long, buying players because of their reputation with no regard to how they will fit into the system we are trying to implement. If we are ditching the fluid front 3 play style under Ole and going for a spear head centre forward focused attack by all means go for Håaland. But if that happens we might as well sell one of Rashford /Martial as they both will be wanted the lw role.
I guess what bothers me about many members of the Caf is that before they post, they do absolutely zero research. They don’t know that RBS plays a high press in a 4-3-3 formation, which is exactly what Ole is trying to install. They haven’t watched a single minute of the lad, so they throw out shite like this. They didn’t see the 70m sprint by Haaland to finish, how he started a good 5 yards behind the CB and ran past him like he was standing still.

For fecks sake, do your goddamn research and stop posting ignorant opinions. I don’t mean to pile on you indivdually, there are other culprits in this thread @jamesjimmybyrondean

There is a reason we are interested in him, like loads of other clubs.

There is a decent chance that Haaland > Martial already. I don’t see the logic of passing on Haaland to see IF Martial works out as a central striker. It’s mental. We are short a striker already, and when we have an injury, we only have sub par options like Lingard and Mata available.

Haven't been writing here for a long time, but I've been sneaking around reading this forum for quite a while, and there's been constant complaining on how the quality of the players isn't good enough, and how the squad is much too thin. And here we are, linked with one of the most exiting forwards of football, and the big problem is that the competition will be too tough up front. I'm puzzled.
Welcome to the Caf. Those of us who have been here awhile can’t function in our normal lives without consuming a few completely illogical posts a day. Sad. Run away while you still have a chance.

Art Vandelay

How dare you go around making sense. We need to be utterly beholden to players that have underperformed for years without challenging the poor lambs with competition.

If Haaland is available and willing to come then we should be in for him. If Martial doesn't like fighting for his place then he shouldn't be here.

StrettyEnder07

Good to see the sane United fans on board now, lunch today some right helmets thinking you only need 1 striker and you can win everything, crackers.

Rashford Martial James Greenwood Ziyech Haaland, feck yes please!

Renegade

By your logic, we should get a set of 11 new players so that everybody has top class competition? This isn't a fecking game where you can keep every player happy by simple rotation.
5 solid options for the 3 attacking roles is very realistic.

Did you enjoy that run we endured with no Martial this season? Even Martial isn’t a proven 25 goalscorer. It’s insane to rely solely on him as our only reliable centre forward. What do you suggest we do when/if Martial drops in form which is very possible based on history.
We play 2 games a week, there’s plenty games for everyone.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Look at City.

12 players for 6 places in midfield and attack.

Aguero
Jesus
Sterling
B. Silva
D. Silva
De Bruyne
Mahrez
Phil Foden
Sane
Gundogan
Fernandinho
Rodri.

I Am Zlatan

I don’t know much about Haaland, according to posters here and his goals, he sound like a very good striker! For the people who are saying we have Martial and Rashford (I rate both highly), so what?! Recently for us, we had Rooney, Tevez, Berba, and Ronaldo! And they were all in their prime/entering their prime.. also look at city! Their bench is arguably as good as our starting XI.

In other words, if there is a very good striker available to sign for us, definitely do it!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I'll have whatever they're smoking.
Should have been done in the summer, buy hey I guess we'll settle for these guys in the coming January window. :devil:

Roboc7

So why did he manage to buy AWB and Maguire, despite cheaper options being available? Thats a nonsense comment you've made.
I’m amazed by how many people still live in a dream world. Yes Ole spent loads on two players but he wasn’t able to bring in any midfielders or strikers despite us being desperate for them. That money was also offset by selling Lukaku, who like Fellaini and Herrera wasn’t replaced.

Like I said we’ll sell Pogba and Ole will get 50-70m on top of that to spend at best. If he chooses to spend it on 2 or 5 players that’s up to him. But he’s not going to get given more and more to sign all these players. It’s same nonsense in media every January and every Summer.

He'sRaldo

I think the only ones who can judge his true level are scouts, coaches, managers, etc.

For fans and media, there's too much hype to really see clearly. Seen it happen too many times with other players, where assessments are revised once the hype from a very good season dies down. In any case, with his stats we should hopefully be keeping track of him.

Steven7290

—————-De Gea—————-

AWB - Victor - Maguire - Shaw

——T. Partey —— Mctominay——

—-D. James——— Rashford—-

———-Håland - Martial——-

You think this could work? With Pogba gone
It will work of course but to a certain extent, the real question is how far do you want to go with this squad? Replacing Shaw, Victor and possibly one of the two CM with an upgraded version you are looking at competing for the league with that.

You can make any formation work, but to make a great 442 you'll need too many specifics (i.e a 2 man midfield that can stand on their own against 3 men midfield, 2 out and out winger (which is a dying breed), Strong and small striker (again not many teams have a colleciton of 4 great striker), 2 very good fullback that can bomb forward and equally good at defence.

Hence why most managers opt for 451 (4231, 4321) variant, because you can make them work with a collection of versatile player. Any 3 midfield with 2 workhorse is easier to find compared to a keane/scholes combo. Wide forwards cutting in is abundance these days.

So.. off course you can make 442 works, but the amount of work to build a new team that can not only work, but challenging for the biggest honor with 442 is slim. 442 is more than just 2 strikers against easy team, it's not as simple as that.
4-4-2 can also work as a versatile formation turning into a 4-3-3 if the support striker can do a Rooney role, especially with Rashford playing a CR7 role we had back in the day. The problem is, like you said, it is hard to find another Carrick/Scholes partner with Fletcher, Hargreaves and Anderson as back up. And of course to a lesser extent the fullbacks

The-Mezzala

Would love him here. This guy would be a 30 goal a season striker very quickly. Imagine a front three of Sancho Haaland Rashford with Martial and James coming from the bench. We would be title contenders very soon

fps

:lol:

He replied to a point you made that was wrong, stop being precious.
That Martial's been poor on the wing? He has, he's been disinterested, hasn't tracked back, hasn't really affected matches, it's not his position.

Eriku

That Martial's been poor on the wing? He has, he's been disinterested, hasn't tracked back, hasn't really affected matches, it's not his position.
No, that Ole’s conversion to right wing was unsuccessful. He did really well for us there.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks a serious talent. But I still haven't seen a feasible line up with him martial and rashford. Any scenario with either of those as a right sided forward doesn't work imo.

No concerns about Greenwood, he's very young and we need 4 strikers/forwards
Might work if we're playing Martial as a false 9 with Rashford and Haland as inside forwards, we'd have to rely on our full backs for width though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I guess what bothers me about many members of the Caf is that before they post, they do absolutely zero research. They don’t know that RBS plays a high press in a 4-3-3 formation, which is exactly what Ole is trying to install. They haven’t watched a single minute of the lad, so they throw out shite like this. They didn’t see the 70m sprint by Haaland to finish, how he started a good 5 yards behind the CB and ran past him like he was standing still.

For fecks sake, do your goddamn research and stop posting ignorant opinions. I don’t mean to pile on you indivdually, there are other culprits in this thread @jamesjimmybyrondean

There is a decent chance that Haaland > Martial already. I don’t see the logic of passing on Haaland to see IF Martial works out as a central striker. It’s mental. We are short a striker already, and when we have an injury, we only have sub par options like Lingard and Mata available.

Welcome to the Caf. Those of us who have been here awhile can’t function in our normal lives without consuming a few completely illogical posts a day. Sad. Run away while you still have a chance.
:lol: how miserable are you? I suggest you crawl back into that whale and stay there. I've watched all his CL games this season and all the goals he's scored domestically. Nothing you wrote refutes what I said.

Just because he plays in a high press 433 doesn't mean he's an interchangeable player who works the wings etc in a fluid front line .

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Are some of you in here so dumb that you can't see that nobody is saying that we should not get a striker in January. What I've been saying and will keep on saying is this. We have Martial who has just been given no.9 Ole has trusted him to lead our line and so far he has been doing exactly this. All our attacks revolve around him. We've been saying Martial has world class potential and finally this is the first time we might actually see Martial for a full season as a striker to be able to judge whether he actually has that potential.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't get a striker in January. I'm saying we shouldn't get Haaland. He's going to be costly considering the holes we have to fill. He's going to want to start and this is me considering Martials form which our attack currently revolves around. Once again I'm basing all this on Martials current form and if he should continue like this then Haaland isn't needed but a back up option. Someone comfortable on the bench but can deliver when called upon.

Give Martial this season to prove himself heck give him till January... We still have about 12 games to go before the January window opens. All I'm saying is Martial is world class potential and this could be the season he finally proves it. But this won't happen if we sign Haaland. Which is why come January we should go for a cheaper option that can still perform when called.

If Martial fails then by all means we can get Haaland or Kane or any world class striker. However if Ole opts to sign Haaland then I will be delighted because I know Ole would have a plan for both Haaland and Martial and even Greenwood since he speaks highly of the three of them

Status
Not open for further replies.