Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We actually dont. We have Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood Mata, Pereira, Lingard and you could add Gomes and Chong as well since they are part of the squad as well. All of who has occupied one of the three attacking positions this year.
Add to this (hopefully) a Sancho in the summer and I still dont see how adding another prospect will add up in minutes played.
We are stacked with young talent upfront already. Money needs to be put in someone who is ready like Sancho and the rest in midfield, midfield and midfield.
Mata is shit on either wing and has lost his legs, Pereira is shit period, Lindgard is a #10(and shit), Gomes is a #10 and just a kid and Chong is a kid(and shit). None of these are CF's either. Rashford has been incredibly good lately playing from the LW and is not suited as a CF, neither is James.

Not getting Haaland because we might get Sancho is daft. Why not both?

Skåre Willoch

Haaland has been "breaking records" in the Austrian league?
He started two of the crappy Norwegian NTs failed effort to reach the ECs (well they, still have that NL playoff stuff or whatever). No goals or assists. If you cant make Norways first team in the state they are in you are not the nxt Zlatan.
He started 3 of RBS 5 games in the CL and did very well there.
He started 10 of 13 games for RBS in the league when he was available.
I dont get where this breaking records comes from? And have you ever actually seen him play for an entire game. He is not even close to being ready to play for United and again: we cant groom him and Greenwood at the same time.
Well, it comes from him literally breaking records.

Hawks2008

I dont want him.
Not because he is bad or anything, but because Greenwood is at least as good already and have a bigger potential as well because of his pace and technique.
Haaland might turn into a decent/good/great player, who knows. But he is so not what we need squad-wise right now. People in this thread is acting like he is the done deal already. He is very far from that. Dortmund or even the other RB-team for 2-3 years should be his next step.
We should keep faith with Greenwood.
There is nothing to suggest Greenwood is as good as Haaland currently. Greenwood has shown very little at this level whereas Haaland is excelling in the CL and especially against Napoli ran Koulibally ragged. He is physically more developed and maybe more suited to being a 9 than Mason who has shown some potential as a wide forward on the right in our current set up (like we see from Rashford on the left). Martial is never going to be the player we need him to be and Greenwood is not ready yet, so I would say Haaland fills a need in the squad. We need a striker and we need goals, Haaland is a top prospect who is already delivering in the CL against good teams. The existence of Greenwood should not deter us from signing him as there is no reason not to have 2 top young prospects.

Ace of Spades

Mata is shit on either wing and has lost his legs, Pereira is shit period, Lindgard is a #10(and shit), Gomes is a #10 and just a kid and Chong is a kid(and shit). None of these are CF's either. Rashford has been incredibly good lately playing from the LW and is not suited as a CF, neither is James.

Not getting Haaland because we might get Sancho is daft. Why not both?
There is no guarantee we will get Sancho either. Bizzare logic to not sign a top talent just cause we have some shit players that need to be moved on cluttering up space in our squad, and in case we sign some other player, who does not even play in the same position.

I think we need more quality in attack as well as midfield.

Alabaster Codify7

Greenwood.

Yet again, sections of our fanbase driven by romanticism with nothing to back it up. Greenwood is 18yrs old and has looked 'okay' so far, which is to be expected. Yet you're wlling to turn down an absolute monster of a striker who is banging them on the European stage, just in case Greenwood proves to be better?

Okay. If that's your view and you cannot see what rewards we'd get from having BOTH firing on all cylinders, you deserve whatever comes of it. Haaland can go fire a rival to success, we'll sit for 3yrs waiting to see if Mason becomes amazing.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
We actually dont. We have Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood Mata, Pereira, Lingard and you could add Gomes and Chong as well since Theo are part of the squad as well. All of who has occupied one of the three attacking positions this year.
Add to this (hopefully) a Sancho in the summer and I still dont see how adding another prospect will add up in minutes played.
We are stacked with young talent upfront already. Money needs to be put in someone who is ready like Sancho and the rest in midfield, midfield and midfield.
Maybe I’m harsh but I don’t see Martial as our starting striker in a season or two. If I should guess I think we will sell him this or the next summer.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
If we could get either one of Lewandowski or Haaland which would be the better move in the kind of situation we are. We need experience and someone who will very much get at least 15 goals in all competitions even from January till May. So I would go for Lewandowski. Haaland even though a proper talent is certainly no Rooney or Ronaldo, i.e. a generational talent. We do not have the luxury at this juncture to go for anyone other than a proven goalscorer who has done it for seasons together. So if a Lewandowski or a Cavani is indeed on the market, I would feel that could be the priority.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's what I mean.

I call bs on that linked tweet denying the existence of a release clause.

I agree that there is release clause.
Oh sorry, I completely misread your post.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If we could get either one of Lewandowski or Haaland which would be the better move in the kind of situation we are. We need experience and someone who will very much get at least 15 goals in all competitions even from January till May. So I would go for Lewandowski. Haaland even though a proper talent is certainly no Rooney or Ronaldo, i.e. a generational talent. We do not have the luxury at this juncture to go for anyone other than a proven goalscorer who has done it for seasons together. So if a Lewandowski or a Cavani is indeed on the market, I would feel that could be the priority.
I am sure Lewa would love to break the record in EL now that he has broken his scoring record in CL.

He started two of the crappy Norwegian NTs failed effort to reach the ECs (well they, still have that NL playoff stuff or whatever). No goals or assists. If you cant make Norways first team in the state they are in you are not the nxt Zlatan.
No. He has only started one for the national team. He would have started the two last matches, but had to withdraw from the squad because of an injury. (And when Zlatan was 19, he was still in Allsvenskan and Malmö, and had not made his international debut, while Braut is 2nd top scorer in Champions League with 8 goals.)

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I am sure Lewa would love to break the record in EL now that he has broken his scoring record in CL.
Who wouldn't? I mean playing for us in the EL on a Thursday night in remote corners of the world...isn't that THE dream? Haha!!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I just want United to finally start tearing shit teams to shreds. Rashford, Haaland, Greenwood let's go. If Sancho wants to co me, sign him up, too.

Infestissumam

Haaland has been "breaking records" in the Austrian league?
He started 3 of RBS 5 games in the CL and did very well there.
He started 10 of 13 games for RBS in the league when he was available.
I dont get where this breaking records comes from? And have you ever actually seen him play for an entire game. He is not even close to being ready to play for United and again: we cant groom him and Greenwood at the same time.
well he's scored 15 in 13 games here. Doubt any teenager has gone off like that ever before, plus it is a record-breaking pace without a doubt (40 goals is the record I believe).

As someone who live sin Salzburg and has closely watched him, let me assure you he's the biggest talent we've ever seen here. Sadio Mane was really good, and the likes of Kevin Kampl, Dayot Upamecano and Diade Samassekou were impressive as well ... but Haaland blows all of them out of the water. And yeah, I realize our league is dog shite, but his goals in the CL speak for themselves. He has all the physical attributes to succeed, he's a lot faster than you think he'd be and his technique and first touch are excellent.

I love Greenwood, but not going for Haaland because of him would be a fail of epic proportions. There's place for both of them.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Maybe I’m harsh but I don’t see Martial as our starting striker in a season or two. If I should guess I think we will sell him this or the next summer.
Yeah. Big season for him. He looked great the first couple of matches after he came back from injury, but vs Sheffield and Villa he was pretty mediocre and then he gets injured again. The fact that his best PL record is only 11 goals in 31 apps is not very encouraging. Consistency has always been an issue with him and if he cant find it this season we need to look elsewhere. Cant have your main striker only deliver in 30% of games

DarkRed

Ah right, thanks. I'm sure you're right but my mind's now going on what the tax implications of all that might be. Still, having already displayed my ignorance I might be better staying out of it!
When we got Dalot as I remember it, we paid over the buyout value because apparently the clause is only valid during a particular period like the summer window but not the winter window, so we paid before the activation and avoided the competition from Barcelona.
So my best guess is that in this case too, his release clause is not valid for the winter window.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I call BS then (though it's likely higher than 20m)

No way Raiola would let his client sign a contract without a clause. It doesn't benefit him.
I suspect Redcafe have the wrong idea about Raiola. He’s just a football agent. Not the mob boss that is implied on here who collects footballers as his toys. He’s no different to any other agent, other than he has been fortunate enough to gather a portfolio of sought after and desirable footballers. He has several players without release clauses. One at our club!

troylocker

From someone who has seen a lot of Haaland: Quicker than James? Are you fecking kidding me. Haaland has the same kinda pace like Lukaku, fast over longer stretches. Explosive? Not so much. Technique is Lukaku-level.
What will happen when he puts on even more weight and muscle that is inevitable for a 19-year old? I am not so sure.
And there is one year between Haaland and Greenwood. A lot is going to happen with Greenwoods body over the next two years as well.
But regardless which one you fancy (in I woud tend to go with the Manc academy product who is doing really well on a completely different level than Haaland), there is not enough minutes to go around for two teenager #9s in a top PL-squad. Thats just ridicilous to even suggest it.
You are so off here, buddy! Your last few comments here just tells me you haven’t really watched him.
- He is actually extremely explosive with insane accelleration, was measured at 36km/t on a 20m sprint, can do 180s and park defenders for fun.
- His technique and first touch is exellent. He might look a bit clumsy with his big frame and long limbs, but his technique is very efficient.
- He has elite hold up play and has good vision to go with that. His 7 assists this season could have been 15 with better team mates. He is very vertical and direct in his play and would fit perfectly in a counter attack minded team.
- His movement and positioning is sublime, I have never seen a young player move this good. He is allways in the right place and finds space even against low blocks.
- His finishing is also world class already. He has the highest conversion rate in Europe, likes to shot early and most shots are hard, low and wellplaced. 8 goals in 14 shots in the CL in 299 minutes is just hard to grasp. 27 goals in 1321 minutes in all comps is also unbelievable.
- His size and strenght gives him an advantage against any defender. Defenders who has played with and against him paints a picture of an unstoppable force, too strong, fast and skilled to stop with legal means.
-X-factor off the charts (both on and off the pitch)

He has scored 23 goals in his last 22 appearances for Norway (U18, U19, U20, U21 and Norway). The only reason he hasn’t played the last four matches for Norway is because he was sick in october and injured his knee in the November break. This injury and illness is also one of the reasons he hasn’t played more than 1321 minutes so for this season.

I think he is the biggest striker talent in the world right now, and his numbers and physical attributes is equalled by none. I’ve played football (striker) actively on a senior (amateur lvl) level for more than 20 years, followed football and United since the late 70s, and this is the most excited I’ve been about a young striker talent since R9 in PSV in 95.
If you don’t want this guy, you lose your complaining rights if we’re not challenging for big titles the next decade.
Greenwood looks promising, but that’s not a valid excuse for not bringing in this monster.

PS! When Zlatan was 19 he played in the Swedish 2nd division, had some tricks up his sleve but little end product (12 goals in 26 matches in a season Malmo was promoted).

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Awesome idea. Let's get a Twilight years veteran on 300k a week while Mason matures. Hopefully you wont moan if it's another Sanchez esque mistake and Mason doesn't turn out to be a top striker. I thought we were moving away from this mentality and targeting young, hungry players before they become world class?

It's sheer romanticism to assume Mason can make that step up.

RedCurry

A £20m release clause doesn't mean he would be sold for £20m. It does mean they couldn't refuse to accept £20m, true, but if a second club offered £40m and a third £60m and so on they could choose to sell to the highest.
Contractual obligations can be customized to whatever so you could be right in some instances. But in most cases, a selling club has no say in where a player goes if there is a release clause and another club is ready to meet it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think you've made that up.

I've only seen the initial price put people off. 60m is more than a proven/developed striker. Auba and Lacezette didn't cost that much.
Actually there’s a few in this very thread saying that they don’t want to disrupt Martial as their reason for not purchasing someone like Haaland

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hes got 8 goals and 1 assits in the CL this year. Thats better than the likes of Kane, Sterling, Son, Benzema, Mbappe, and Salah and that are players in their prime playing for much better clubs.

And of course we can groom him and Greenwod at the same time. We have 4 attacking players covering 3 spots FFS. Right now Greenwood isn't being "groomed" as much as hes being thrown out there because we literally have no one else with Martial injured.

And yes i have seen him play. He terrorized Koulibaly all game when they played Napoli and hes one of the best CB's around now. Hes got pace, acceleration, strikers instinct, height, strength and good finishing abilities. We would be stupid not to go for him
Don’t bother. This poster is Swedish and clearly doesn’t like Norwegians much. He’s biased.

He’d do well to remember Ole and Ronny Johnnson joining us when we had much better players and becoming big players for us.

Handré1990

From someone who has seen a lot of HaalandHaaland has the same kinda pace like Lukaku, fast over longer stretches. Explosive? Not so much.: Quicker than James? Are you fecking kidding me.
Technique is Lukaku-level.
What will happen when he puts on even more weight and muscle that is inevitable for a 19-year old? I am not so sure.
And there is one year between Haaland and Greenwood. A lot is going to happen with Greenwoods body over the next two years as well.
But regardless which one you fancy (in I woud tend to go with the Manc academy product who is doing really well on a completely different level than Haaland), there is not enough minutes to go around for two teenager #9s in a top PL-squad. Thats just ridicilous to even suggest it.
:lol:
Ridiculous. There’s even a video a page or two back showing how he explodes from almost standing still to top speed over 15 meters or something. I mean, you can discuss a lot of things about him and his potential, but not something that is proven as fact.

Clearly you’ve watched a lot of Haaland.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
:lol:
Ridiculous. There’s even a video a page or two back showing how he explodes from almost standing still to top speed over 15 meters or something. I mean, you can discuss a lot of things about him and his potential, but not something that is proven as fact.

Clearly you’ve watched a lot of Haaland.
It's not just his speed either, he just seems so powerful in his running. Dan James is fast, but a gust of wind will knock him over. This guy is like a tank with an F1 engine in it!

kidbob

Chelsea will sing him and Sancho and Haaland is the one we'll end up regretting the most. We're in a weird position in that we can't compete for these players (unless we find them before they explode) without CL but we can't get CL without these players. Our only real hope is to recreate 92 but we look like we'll already lose Chong and Gomes having already lost O'Connor. So we can't sign the top talent all while we lose our top talent. Strange times.

El-Manos

Chelsea will sing him and Sancho and Haaland is the one we'll end up regretting the most. We're in a weird position in that we can't compete for these players (unless we find them before they explode) without CL but we can't get CL without these players. Our only real hope is to recreate 92 but we look like we'll already lose Chong and Gomes having already lost O'Connor. So we can't sign the top talent all while we lose our top talent. Strange times.
He hasn't been great to say the least, I hope we keep Gomes though.

kidbob

He hasn't been great to say the least, I hope we keep Gomes though.
Not great but has shown enough at underage that suggests a loan rather than losing him would be the best option. The further we fall the harder it is to attract the players we need and now the need to find those players early is incredibly important. We will probably miss out on Sancho and Haaland so we need to push for players like Olmo and Tonali early who could become as good or at least get us in a position to challenge for the Haalands of the World again. We need to bite the bullet and stop targeting Sancho right now and use that money to buy 3 players who'll get us back regularly in top 4 and then we can aim higher. We are a mid table team trying to get back to number 1 instead of accepting our situation and climbing gradually.

For instance getting to the 3rd best team in England right now is manageable by next season with the right cheap enough signings. Getting to 1st-2nd is basically impossible. However easier to build a 1st place team from 3rd rather than 6th,

I do think we could get Haaland because we can offer playing time but if I were him I'd go to Chelsea or Leicester right now if possible.

SteveW

You've no idea who Chelsea will or will not sign.

Chong is crap.
Gomes could still sign the contract.
O'Connor is a decent player but I don't see him ever being good enough for our first team. Too small for CB and not in the same class as AWB or Laird for RB.

A lot of moaning here without much substance.

kidbob

You've no idea who Chelsea will or will not sign.

Chong is crap.
Gomes could still sign the contract.
O'Connor is a decent player but I don't see him ever being good enough for our first team. Too small for CB and not in the same class as AWB or Laird for RB.

A lot of moaning here without much substance.
No moaning at all just reality of our current situation. If Haaland has a choice of us or Chelsea then he'd be a fool to come here.

You know nothing of who Chelsea will sign either. Also Sancho will have his choice of all clubs and Haaland [robably the same. Barca will be looking for a Suarez replacement soon. that's just logic.

Chong has been excellent and continues to be at youth level so he ain't a lost cause. The real moaning is yours about a player who has just started his senior career without a suitable loan. Reality check: Morrisson really was the best underage talent this club has seen (probably along with Giggs) but he became jack shit. ie: the best talents can turn out shit and the likes of Chong can become something.

Gomes will move on unless we give him the opportunities, he has seen what caf darling Sancho has done and Pogba before that. Why would he logically stay?

O'Connor is a better talent than Dalot and injured much less. It was acceptable to let him go because Laird is here but in our current situation he is more than good enough to make it.

You also have no idea of what Chlesea will do so it's a moot point. They may or may not bid for them but logic points towards them doing so.

You really need to stop thinking about the 'Old' United and start thinking about us as the mid table side we are. Thinking we can't get the Haalands of the World isn't 'moaning' it's being realistic. We aren't a top team anymore but a mid table side. Would you be surprised if I told you that AC Milan can't buy Sancho? They are a much better historic side than us.

You talk about 'moaning' but I am one who still wants Ole here over even Poch (what a caf idiot I am), I see improvements in us that I haven't seen previously (on balance of play we should be at least 9 points better off this season). I simply want us to start acting like a team who needs to get from 6th to 3rd rather than straight to first (it's unrealistic). So stop wasting time on players that have better options and will choose them if smart and focus on 'lesser' talents who are cheaper and might well reach the top level anyway. Mane is the best player in the League right now for example and he was no 'Mmbape' was he was 18,

SteveW

No moaning at all just reality of our current situation. If Haaland has a choice of us or Chelsea then he'd be a fool to come here.

You know nothing of who Chelsea will sign either. Also Sancho will have his choice of all clubs and Haaland [robably the same. Barca will be looking for a Suarez replacement soon. that's just logic.

Chong has been excellent and continues to be at youth level so he ain't a lost cause. The real moaning is yours about a player who has just started his senior career without a suitable loan. Reality check: Morrisson really was the best underage talent this club has seen (probably along with Giggs) but he became jack shit. ie: the best talents can turn out shit and the likes of Chong can become something.

Gomes will move on unless we give him the opportunities, he has seen what caf darling Sancho has done and Pogba before that. Why would he logically stay?

O'Connor is a better talent than Dalot and injured much less. It was acceptable to let him go because Laird is here but in our current situation he is more than good enough to make it.

You also have no idea of what Chlesea will do so it's a moot point. They may or may not bid for them but logic points towards them doing so.

You really need to stop thinking about the 'Old' United and start thinking about us as the mid table side we are. Thinking we can't get the Haalands of the World isn't 'moaning' it's being realistic. We aren't a top team anymore but a mid table side. Would you be surprised if I told you that AC Milan can't buy Sancho? They are a much better historic side than us.

You talk about 'moaning' but I am one who still wants Ole here over even Poch (what a caf idiot I am), I see improvements in us that I haven't seen previously (on balance of play we should be at least 9 points better off this season). I simply want us to start acting like a team who needs to get from 6th to 3rd rather than straight to first (it's unrealistic). So stop wasting time on players that have better options and will choose them if smart and focus on 'lesser' talents who are cheaper and might well reach the top level anyway. Mane is the best player in the League right now for example and he was no 'Mmbape' was he was 18,
Moan about things that happen. Not things you predict will happen.

kidbob

Moan about things that happen. Not things you predict will happen.
Ah so humans have never used logic to predict the future. I'll spread the memo. Also not every post about he club is moaning. Or else wanting to sign Messi and relaising it isn't realistic is 'moaning'. On the contrary I'm satisfied with where Ole is bringing me right now. Posters that disagree with this ain't moaning.

How about you stop moaning that Chong isn't Giggs in his first ever senior season? How about instead of 'shit' he just isn't ready yet? Stop moaning.

Caesar2290

I know quiet a few of you asked for a good compilation. Here you go. You can see his poaching, movement, assists and even strength. Enjoy.

19 Year Old Erling Braut Håland is Outstanding!

For those of you who are curios about his profile, here is a really good vid I dug up about him. Not just as a footballer, but as a human being.

Erling Braut Håland Bio (2019): Football’s Next ELITE Striker

My own conclusion after watching this is that he is closer to Ibra, than Lukaku. The guy has a sense of humor, is cocky and has an insane ability. He has the United DNA. Some of us wished that we would have gotten Ibra a couple of years prior, not when he was 34. Well, this kid is the closest we'll ever get to landing a 19 year old Ibrahimovic.

SteveW

I know quiet a few of you asked for a good compilation. Here you go. You can see his poaching, movement, assists and even strength. Enjoy.

19 Year Old Erling Braut Håland is Outstanding!

For those of you who are curios about his profile, here is a really good vid I dug up about him. Not just as a footballer, but as a human being.

Erling Braut Håland Bio (2019): Football’s Next ELITE Striker

My own conclusion after watching this is that he is closer to Ibra, than Lukaku. The guy has a sense of humor, is cocky and has an insane ability. He has the United DNA. Some of us wished that we would have gotten Ibra a couple of years prior, not when he was 34. Well, this kid is the closest we'll ever get to landing a 19 year old Ibrahimovic.
Ah come on. He's doesn't have Ibra's skill levels. That's guys touch was insane.

SteveW

Ah so humans have never used logic to predict the future. I'll spread the memo. Also not every post about he club is moaning. Or else wanting to sign Messi and relaising it isn't realistic is 'moaning'. On the contrary I'm satisfied with where Ole is bringing me right now. Posters that disagree with this ain't moaning.

How about you stop moaning that Chong isn't Giggs in his first ever senior season? How about instead of 'shit' he just isn't ready yet? Stop moaning.
Where's the logic? Predicting Chelsea's future signings? Saying Chong has been excellent? Who said he needed to be Giggs by the way? Blomqvist would be a start.

Just stop would ya

kidbob

Where's the logic? Predicting Chelsea's future signings? Saying Chong has been excellent? Who said he needed to be Giggs by the way? Blomqvist would be a start.

Just stop would ya
I said he was excellent at youth level (which is what got him first team chances), you called him 'shit' so I assumed you expected a Giggs like talent from a youth player in his first season who hasn't even had a loan yet. It was you who moaned and called him 'shit. You also have predicted Chelsea's future signings too by saying they won't go for Haaland and Sancho without giving logic.

Here's the logic: Sancho will be wanted by all clubs including Chelsea and will choose the best (not United right now. Chelsea need a replacement for Giroud and have money from Hazard hence Haaland. Now why they will likely get them is because they can offer them first team football while being in a better state than us. We could get Haaland but logic dictates he would choose somewhere else.

Is that illogical to you? Or would you rather live in imagination land where everyone wants to sign for us and we are the best club ever and aren't now a midtable team?

All my post was about is that we need target players like Olmo and 2 others that we could sign for the price of one Haaland or Sancho so that we can can get to a consistent position that the likes of Sancho become reasonable targets again. Also in my endless positivity I believe that maybe Olmo will turn out to be a better player than Sancho;

Status
Not open for further replies.