Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLogo

Surely this release clause tax thing is a bit of an internet myth? It’s been done several times, and no club in their right mind would transfer £100m into a footballer, who is not contracted to them’s, bank account. It’s obviously not the way it works.

Also, I’m very sceptical that even if they did transfer it to his account, and he then moved it on the his club 20 mins later, he would be taxed on it anyway. Surely everyone knows what his job is, it is not ‘income’, there is no invoice, he is not the employee of the buying club and has rendered no services. Would be difficult to claim that is ‘taxable income’.
Yeah, that's why I said there seems to be the work around with a third party like a law firm through which the double taxation is avoidable. Since I'm not a lawyer I can't really say anything about the details of how these deals are done but that generally seems to be an acceptable way of taking care of these buyout clauses.

zenith

Not so sure he's ideal for us and the style of play we are attempting to develop. Haaland appears to be more of an athletic target man, who has a great finish on him but not someone who can function in a fluid system with lots of movement and interchangeability within the front 3.

Timo werner appears to be much more of a match and more proven.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For those of you who think we don't need to buy him. Here's an interesting fact:

PL Games Martial Started
9 Games
Scored 19
Average 2.1 Goals per Game

PL Games Martial Did Not Start
7 Games
Scored 6
Average 0.9 Goals per Game

Clear as day we need another striker to come in and be a consistent goal threat for a scenario when Martial is absent. We have no cover.

DarkRed

For those of you who think we don't need to buy him. Here's an interesting fact:

PL Games Martial Started
9 Games
Scored 19
Average 2.1 Goals per Game

PL Games Martial Did Not Start
7 Games
Scored 6
Average 0.9 Goals per Game

Clear as day we need another striker to come in and be a consistent goal threat for a scenario when Martial is absent. We have no cover.
Question is: do we need a backup striker in the mold of Martial or we go for something different like Haaland?

Handré1990

Not so sure he's ideal for us and the style of play we are attempting to develop. Haaland appears to be more of an athletic target man, who has a great finish on him but not someone who can function in a fluid system with lots of movement and interchangeability within the front 3.

Just curious to know how you formed this opinion? RBS plays much more fluid attacking football than we’ve done since...I don’t even remember when. 08/09 maybe. They really play some excellent stuff, and before you say Austria, they’ve done it in the CL as well.

lysglimt

Scout

Have you even seen Salzburg play ? Thats the definition of fluid system - and he seems to thrive in that club.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Question is: do we need a backup striker in the mold of Martial or we go for something different like Haaland?
I don't even think he's that much different tbh. Haaland has bags of pace, probably faster than Martial. Very good dribbler, fairly creative, brilliant finishing. He's also got the physical strength to bully the opposition.

It's not like he's a slow tall target man like Crouch.

DarkRed

I don't even think he's that much different tbh. Haaland has bags of pace, probably faster than Martial. Very good dribbler, fairly creative, brilliant finishing. He's also got the physical strength to bully the opposition.
It's not like he's a slow tall target man like Crouch.
I'm sure Ole knows very well what he is and what he is capable of, so I just will go with the flow on that one.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why does it make sense for him? If he goes to Germany what makes sense is a move to RB Leipzig not Dortmund
Why?

Dortmund offer a bigger stage, an actual football club with a big atmosphere, they offer more salary, they have one of the best track records in Europe when it comes to making the transition from highly rated youngster to top5 club material and they have better title chances (or at least bigger ambitions) with the accompanying moderate amount of pressure.

Leipzig have Nagelsmann. Perhaps they will sell Werner next summer, which on one hand reduces competition, but on the other he's also a major reason why they are doing well at the moment.

Nagelsmann can be a big factor if the player is a fan of his, so I wouldn't be shocked should Haaland sign for them, but as I've listed above there are plenty of reasons to prefer Dortmund as well.

Cliche Guevara

Salzburg to Dortmund is a sideways step. Why would anyone want to go from a club who wins everything to a club who wins nothing and be stuck there for a further three years. He could join one of the biggest clubs in the world right now if we want him.

Honestly, this place sometimes.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Salzburg to Dortmund is a sideways step. Why would anyone want to go from a club who wins everything to a club who wins nothing and be stuck there for a further three years. He could join one of the biggest clubs in the world right now if we want him.

Yes, like we are winning trophies and in the champions league every year.

troylocker

That is exactly what he does though. He does both, and functions very well in a fluid system with lots of movement. If you watch RBS you will see that is very good at exactly that. He would fit like a glove for us, both in matches where we sit deeper and play on the counters and when we play against the low blocks.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

A sideways step? How could you ever come to that conclusion? Was João Félix leaving Benfica to Atletico a sideways step? They are reigning Portuguese champions afterall and won 5 of the last 6 league titles there.

Dortmund has built a massive reputation across Europe to give up and coming talent consistent fist team experience and they have accepted the niche status of being sort of a stepping stone for some of the highest tier talent around.

They always let those players gain first team experience while challenging in league and CL and allowed them to leave when they wanted to take the next step (Gündogan, Hummels, Dembélé, Aubameyang, Diallo, home grown talent like Götze and Pulisic as well, likely Sancho very soon...).

How could you call that club (that also got to a CL final 5 years ago with a very young squad) a sideway step compared to Salzburg who literally are in CL for the first time EVER this year?

::sonny::

The guy finishes his tweet by saying 'this news really turns me on.' not sure we should treat him as a tier 1 transfer source.
It has been reported by German newspaper (Bild) I attached that tweet only for the photo...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In Zorc's way of doing interviews that's basically confirming interest/negotiations.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They signed Brandt for cheap in may 2019, they are good in that things...
Brandt had a release clause. There is no magic to it, you put your cards on the table and then the player decides.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dortmund did this a year ago with Alexander Isak, who is now on loan and doing well. I don’t see the point in buying the next cool young striker who is the same age.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Have you even seen Salzburg play ? Thats the definition of fluid system - and he seems to thrive in that club.
I'm a little humored that the poster above imagines that Salzburg scores 3 on Liverpool on Anfield by playing longball to target men.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This was said about James too, by quite a few posters.
Well James came in when we were screaming for a RW. There was a vacant position for grab when James came in which made it simpler for him to grab that spot as soon as he started performing right away.

Haaland will come in a completely different situation. Unless major injuries happen, that poster has a point, he won't get into the starting 11 right away. People are talking about 2 strikers but that won't be possible with most positions starting to be set(Pogba comes in for Lingard as a 10 or part of a 3 mam midfield).

2 strikers would mean to toss away the partnership that Scott and Fred have build to replace one with Pogba so we can play 2 up front and Rashford shifted more widely rather than his current left forward role.

If he comes here he'll have to fight for his spot and displace someone which means he'll have to prove himself for Ole to trust him to replace players he's been working with toward a specific system. This means he doesn't just walk into the first 11 right away like the poster mentioned.

Mingus

Well James came in when we were screaming for a RW. There was a vacant position for grab when James came in which made it simpler for him to grab that spot as soon as he started performing right away.

Haaland will come in a completely different situation. Unless major injuries happen, that poster has a point, he won't get into the starting 11 right away. People are talking about 2 strikers but that won't be possible with most positions starting to be set(Pogba comes in for Lingard as a 10 or part of a 3 mam midfield).

2 strikers would mean to toss away the partnership that Scott and Fred have build to replace one with Pogba so we can play 2 up front and Rashford shifted more widely rather than his current left forward role.

If he comes here he'll have to fight for his spot and displace someone which means he'll have to prove himself for Ole to trust him to replace players he's been working with toward a specific system. This means he doesn't just walk into the first 11 right away like the poster mentioned.
I think Haaland would back himself to start in front of Martial.

Martial has great moments in matches but if we are going to dominate good teams for whole matches we need a powerful 90 minute man. Ole knows this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We’re living in cuckoo land if we think that we’ll go on to the end of the season injury and fatigue free with the current front 3.
We need depth and we need competition. An injury to Rashford or Martial and the progress seen in the last 2 games will be negated.

If we can, we should absolutely go for Haaland. It’s showing no ambition not to even try.

Alabaster Codify7

We won't get him. I'm resigned to this now.

If we had lost to Spurs and City, we would have signed him. Woodward's spin would need to go into overdrive and he'd be desperate to inject some positivity around the club and what better way to do that than make a top signing in January. Winning our last two games has increased the positivity around the club so he won't feel the need to act in the January window.

dev1l

According to DiMarzio Haaland prefers a transfer to a second tier team like Leipzig rather than a top team as he feels his chance of playing regular football would be less restricted.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
According to the paper he wants to beat Liverpool in the CL then join United.
I heard he is intrigued about good old Keane speeches at Carrington about the good old days. He would love to hear some of them himself

Anustart89

According to DiMarzio Haaland prefers a transfer to a second tier team like Leipzig rather than a top team as he feels his chance of playing regular football would be less restricted.
Get in, that's us in with a chance then!

red_de_pologne

he would get best of both worlds with us, big club but easy to get into the starting 11

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Dortmund did this a year ago with Alexander Isak, who is now on loan and doing well. I don’t see the point in buying the next cool young striker who is the same age.
Haaland is a vastly better player than Isak, so there's that. Haaland is Champion League proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.