Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hope we don't get him if he displaces Martial in the central role. Then there is blocking Greenwood's path into the team.

FujiVice

Hope we don't get him if he displaces Martial in the central role. Then there is blocking Greenwood's path into the team.
He's better than both of them currently and younger than one of them. Why wouldnt you want a player like this at Old Trafford?

DoomSlayer

We are crying out for an established striker. This would be a travesty.
I'm happy with Martial and hope that he proves himself properly this season as the starting striker.

We have a much bigger need of CMs and a CAM than a superstar centre forward.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Getting a striker that would be a good squad player and won't cost a fortune.
We’re still clearing out a squad that was full of those. We need to be signing top quality, or those with potential to be top quality. If they get so good they relegate their competition to the bench then so be it.

ash_86

Martial does get injured after a string of games. Once that happens we all know how the team would look. We desperately need a quality striker and Haaland fits the bill.
We may also need different variety of strikers in certain situation. It's not a one size fits all situation.

DoomSlayer

We’re still clearing out a squad that was full of those. We need to be signing top quality, or those with potential to be top quality. If they get so good they relegate their competition to the bench then so be it.
Sure, but we have a budget and there are other positions that are more important. If we can spend £300 million, then sure, go spend £70 million on Haaland. But we can't and won't, as much as fans always talk about how loaded we are.
Top teams have 2 top players at least for the striking options.

You can never have a fully happy squad. Always need one or two players on the bench fighting .
Same answer to you.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm happy with Martial and hope that he proves himself properly this season as the starting striker.

We have no established center forward, so we certainly need one, as much as we need a right winger and central midfielder.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We have no established center forward, so we certainly need one, as much as we need a right winger and central midfielder.
Isn't that why we gave Martial the No.9, to establish himself as a forward. Isn't that what he has been doing based on his performances. In my opinion if Martial continues like this then we should get Mandzukic in January. Cheap and a good back up. But if Martial fails to establish himself as our starting striker for years to come then sure go get Haaland

DoomSlayer

Martial is going to establish himself so we are fine in that regard.

Matic and Pogba are as good as gone, so we have only Fred and McTominay as CMs - we need at least 2 signings there. We desperately need a proper number 10, unless Pereira suddenly starts scoring and assisting frequently, which I don't see happening. Then we have the Luke Shaw conundrum, who I have almost lost all patience with so LB is certainly a possible area for improvement. Then we go onto needing a proper substitute striker and a top class RW or someone with big potential who can compete with James for the spot.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Martial is going to establish himself so we are fine in that regard.

Matic and Pogba are as good as gone, so we have only Fred and McTominay as CMs - we need at least 2 signings there. We desperately need a proper number 10, unless Pereira suddenly starts scoring and assisting frequently, which I don't see happening. Then we have the Luke Shaw conundrum, who I have almost lost all patience with so LB is certainly a possible area for improvement. Then we go onto needing a proper substitute striker and a top class RW or someone with big potential who can compete with James for the spot.
If Pogba goes it pays for the CM.

We will sign another CF. A young player like Haaland is what we will be after.

No top club in world football has just one striker. Rashford is a winger.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

We need more than just Martial. We are desperately short of options up top. Having Rashford, Martial, James, Haaland and Greenwood to cover 5 positions would be the bare minimum. Look what happened when Martial got injured. We were fecked.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford, Martial, Haaland, James front 4 :drool:

AmanNits04

So people were shouting their mouth off when we sent Lukaku and Sanchez out and didn't buy a replacement, now when we are trying to buy an attacker, people have a problem with it.
What exactly shall we do in this situation, don't you guys realise we were shit and so light in attack when Martial was injured.
Also, if a 19 year old can come in the team and perform at a certain level so as to keep Martial out of the team, then I will prefer that.
When are people going to realise that this type of competition is required for places when a club wants to succeed. If we sign this guy, this will push Rashford, Martial to up their game for sure and signing this guy will give a different dimension, a plan B which we require a lot.

Reactions: Fortitude

DoomSlayer

If Pogba goes it pays for the CM.

We will sign another CF. A young player like Haaland is what we will be after.

No top club in world football has just one striker. Rashford is a winger.
We won't be spending any more than a £100 million of our own money, so you do the math.

I'm not saying we don't need a striker, I'm saying it's not viable to spend loads of our budget on a young superstar when we have other areas that need to be boosted with quality a lot more. Get 2 proper CMs and a CAM and then think about what is affordable for the striker and RW position. People are deluding themselves if they believe the club will buy more than 4 players in the next 2 windows, 3 to 4 would be my guess.

Adam-Utd

We won't be spending any more than a £100 million of our own money, so you do the math.

I'm not saying we don't need a striker, I'm saying it's not viable to spend loads of our budget on a young superstar when we have other areas that need to be boosted with quality a lot more. Get 2 proper CMs and a CAM and then think about what is affordable for the striker and RW position. People are deluding themselves if they believe the club will buy more than 4 players in the next 2 windows, 3 to 4 would be my guess.
We haven't spend the Lukaku money yet, so what's the issue? that'll cover Haaland. The rest will go on whatever else we need, more than likely a CM and another back up winger.

DoomSlayer

We need more than just Martial. We are desperately short of options up top. Having Rashford, Martial, James, Haaland and Greenwood to cover 5 positions would be the bare minimum. Look what happened when Martial got injured. We were fecked.
You are right, but we also need a lot more in the midfield area and also a quality number 10. Martial can be world class if performing consistently, who gives us that from our CMs and CAMs (excluding Pogba who I presume is leaving when the season ends)?

cyberman

Two up top against lesser sides, 3 at the back and an extra midfielder behind the two strikers in others.
We can easily accomodate two quality strikers

DoomSlayer

We haven't spend the Lukaku money yet, so what's the issue? that'll cover Haaland. The rest will go on whatever else we need, more than likely a CM and another back up winger.
How do you know we haven't used the Lukaku money? I bet the club will never spend as much as it did under LvG or Mourinho, unless we start challenging for major trophies again.

troylocker

It's like our fans love to be mediocre and have something to moan about. How would you rather have Mandzukic, who is 33 and hasn't played a single minute this season, over the rising star who might take us to the next level. I just don't understand it.
You have been complaining all season how we don't create enough and our finishing has been pathetic. We can hardly hit the target! I think getting a potential world beater of a striker would be the perfect start to take a step up from the upper mid-table state we are in now. A creative CM/CAM and a class RW should also be a part of the plan. We have played better attacking football in two of our last three matches, but you can hardly call that consistant and our problems in the last 3rd of the field is not solved. Martial is good, but he is not a world class striker. He doesn't score a lot of goals, he is still very on and off and can be very frustrating to watch at times. He needs more competition to raise his game.

Let the rebuild continue please.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If we want to fit our best attackers together we may play 4-4-2 again with Rashford on the left, Haaland up top with Martial as a support striker and James on the right.
442 ain't gonna happen for the foreseeable future, there's a reason why not many teams using 442. Because I suspect the whole tactical approach has moved away from it.

And yes, leicester won the league with it. I know

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's better than both of them currently and younger than one of them. Why wouldnt you want a player like this at Old Trafford?
And this why our transfer strategy has been shite for so long, buying players because of their reputation with no regard to how they will fit into the system we are trying to implement. If we are ditching the fluid front 3 play style under Ole and going for a spear head centre forward focused attack by all means go for Håaland. But if that happens we might as well sell one of Rashford /Martial as they both will be wanting the lw role.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

How do you know we haven't used the Lukaku money? I bet the club will never spend as much as it did under LvG or Mourinho, unless we start challenging for major trophies again.
Because we sold him and didn't buy anybody else?

You can't tell me Maguire, James and Wan Bissaka needed Lukaku to finance that also?

DoomSlayer

Because we sold him and didn't buy anybody else?

You can't tell me Maguire, James and Wan Bissaka needed Lukaku to finance that also?
This was a second summer in a row that we had a net spend of around £60-£70 million, it's not just coincidence. I believe that trend will mostly continue, until we start to be one of the top competing clubs again.

The club has wasted a huge amount of money on failures and it cannot afford that anymore, unless we get the Saudi takeover that a lot of fans dream about.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You are right, but we also need a lot more in the midfield area and also a quality number 10. Martial can be world class if performing consistently, who gives us that from our CMs and CAMs (excluding Pogba who I presume is leaving when the season ends)?
The answer is Pogba. If he leaves then his own transfer fee will more than cover the cost of signing a replacement. I quite agree we need more creativity, but that shouldn't get in the way of signing Haaland. If he is as good as we think he is, then we would be fools to let him sign elsewhere.

DoomSlayer

The answer is Pogba. If he leaves then his own transfer fee will more than cover the cost of signing a replacement. I quite agree we need more creativity, but that shouldn't get in the way of signing Haaland. If he is as good as we think he is, then we would be fools to let him sign elsewhere.
I was thinking we would sell Pogba for £150 million this summer, but it didn't happen and according to loads of reports, no club came close to our valuation. His contract would have 1 less year when the season ends and his value would drop, so unfortunately I don't see how we get more than a £100 million, we might even have to settle for the money we originally played for him.

I just don't believe we can afford Haaland and also quality additions to the midfield, because we all know Pogba is as good as gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.