Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A norwegian journalist for the second biggest newspaper in Norway (he is a moron - but a well-connected moron) - claims that this is correct:

From Dagbladet.no

ERLING BRAUT HAALAND har etter det jeg forstår gitt klare signaler om at han helst vil helst gjenforenes med Ole Gunnar Solskjær på Old Trafford

"Haaland has after what I understand given clear indications that he would prefer to be reunited with OGS at Old Trafford"
Nice, hopefully it's true and we can sign him. For 20 million it would be very good signing.

SteveW

This.

He opens up us to so many options.

Rashers injury or rested and Martial plays left wing with Haaland up top.

Martial injury/ rested and he plays up top..
Game at home against the "lesser teams" we go 442.

Etc.
Exactly. We'd have 5 talented versatile options for 3 positions. Exactly what you'd want.

Manutd GOGOGO

Whilst I agree you can’t pass up an opportunity to sign a prospect like this for £20m. I don’t think midfield will be addressed until the summer so with Pogba back this month we can hopefully limp to the end of the season.
Yea hopefully the manager is looking at another midfielder now.
We desperately need one backup for McFred. One injury among them and we are screwed.

On the attacking front, the manager likes to play a front 4 so a "50% backup" with 2 attackers sound good.

I am only worried about Haaland's adaptation in the PL. He might find it difficult to cope with his height.
You can imagine the strength he needs to put out with his lanky arms and legs vs those physical fights.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's obvious he'd want a guaranteed starter, for United to have any chance on signing him.
It means Martial would be back as backup. Which I really don't mind seeing that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think he'd do just fine here, and I also think he'd benefit far more from Martial playing with him without losing Rashford or James, than to compete with him for one spot.

Mark McMaw

For the reported fee it would be an absolute steal, i wouldn't go out and spend stupid money on him not because i care but purely because the affect it would have on the player himself. He fits the criteria perfectly for what ole's trying to build he's fantastic on the ball, has a great first touch, can get past a man and knows where the net is! It'll take him a season to get used to the league but at 19 and again for the reported fee you expect that!

jamesjimmybyrondean

If our aim is to go back to our glory days then, I mean title winning days then we need to sign this guy. No offense to Martial but I can't imagine us winning a premier league title with him as the main striker. Martial is more of a support than the main man.

Haaland on the other hand is hungry for goals. Even if he had a poor performance against Liverpool, similar to Ronaldo his desire to score was there for everyone to see.

Canagel

I think he'd do just fine here, and I also think he'd benefit far more from Martial playing with him without losing Rashford or James, than to compete with him for one spot.
I won't be surprised if Martial is put on the left again.

Thiagoal

I won't be surprised if Martial is put on the left again.
Rashford and Janes are ahead of him if that’s the case! I think he’d link really well with Haaland as a number 10 against week opposition

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think with him and Greenwood coming through our attack should be sorted. If there was a chance to get Sancho as well I would go as far as saying we should be fine for years to come.
We need at least 2 midfielders. One being a CAM/10 who can create in tight places and one holding midfielder being able to dictate from the back.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I prefer Martial over this guy because Martial can bring others into play and he’s good at it. Haaland on the hand like Lukaku but with more desire to score goals. The guy probably willing to sacrifice his head just to score goals. He likes to go towards the ball if the crossing coming in, unlike Lukaku stay in his spot, wait for the ball and moaning for service that doesn’t hit him on the spot.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I prefer Martial over this guy because Martial can bring others into play and he’s good at it. Haaland on the hand like Lukaku but with more desire to score goals. The guy probably willing to sacrifice his head just to score goals. He likes to go towards the ball if the crossing coming in, unlike Lukaku stay in his spot, wait for the ball and moaning for service that doesn’t hit him on the spot.
I don't agree with Lukaku comparison.

Martial can bring others into play.
Haaland can bring the ball into the net.
Lukaku could send half the stand home due to fecking up a first touch that Sunday league footballers wouldn't.

Marcelinho87

Feel a bit for Martial with some of these comments.

He might not be scoring an awful lot but there is no coincidence in Rashford's upturn in form coming when Martial returned from injury.

Thiagoal

He might not be scoring an awful lot but there is no coincidence in Rashford's upturn in form coming when Martial returned from injury.
I think that’s more the fact he’s the only striker we have capable of playing the role at present so take him out and we really struggle! Put any competent number 9 in there and Rashford will play well imo

NotThatSoph

A norwegian journalist for the second biggest newspaper in Norway (he is a moron - but a well-connected moron) - claims that this is correct:

From Dagbladet.no

ERLING BRAUT HAALAND har etter det jeg forstår gitt klare signaler om at han helst vil helst gjenforenes med Ole Gunnar Solskjær på Old Trafford

"Haaland has after what I understand given clear indications that he would prefer to be reunited with OGS at Old Trafford"
That article was so bad. Not that quote, that may or may not be accurate, but the rest. The whole thing was about how Railoa might tank a deal with United, by influencing Haaland's dad, just because he is Pogba's agent and that he might be annoyed because Pogba is still at United.

No sources, no coherent argument, no nothing. Morten P, man. I realize football journalism can be tough sometimes, especially when you need to fulfill your daily quota of Haaland or Ødegaard articles, but this was really bottom of the barrel stuff even for Norwegian media.

Reactions: KM

GreatDane

As I do not have the option of seeing the games live, can someone tell me if Martial could be a success as a no 10 player if we get Haaland as a no 9?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I don’t think anybody is expecting Haaland to immediately walk into the team and that’s the end of martial.

we will bed him in slowly and let him adjust properly I’m sure. Anyway we play like 60 games a season, martial cannot play them all.

eventually it’ll drive up the competition and they won’t be able to have a few poor matches or they’ll get dropped. Look at aguero/Jesus, one of them gets injured or bad form and the other takes their chance.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yea hopefully the manager is looking at another midfielder now.
We desperately need one backup for McFred. One injury among them and we are screwed.

On the attacking front, the manager likes to play a front 4 so a "50% backup" with 2 attackers sound good.

I am only worried about Haaland's adaptation in the PL. He might find it difficult to cope with his height.
You can imagine the strength he needs to put out with his lanky arms and legs vs those physical fights.
Haaland is a lot bigger and stronger than most of the defender in the Premier League. His physical attributes are not exactly a concern :p

Mr. Meeseeks

Whilst I agree you can’t pass up an opportunity to sign a prospect like this for £20m. I don’t think midfield will be addressed until the summer so with Pogba back this month we can hopefully limp to the end of the season.
An absolute steal for a player of his potential calibre. Its like signing an emerging Joao Felix for 20m. An absolute no brainer if I have ever seen one.

I don’t think anybody is expecting Haaland to immediately walk into the team and that’s the end of martial.

we will bed him in slowly and let him adjust properly I’m sure. Anyway we play like 60 games a season, martial cannot play them all.

eventually it’ll drive up the competition and they won’t be able to have a few poor matches or they’ll get dropped. Look at aguero/Jesus, one of them gets injured or bad form and the other takes their chance.
just look at the no of matches Martial has missed so far this season. Add in the fact we have no options from the bench shows we have more than enough games for Haaland.

Sp00ks11

Don’t get ahead of yourself

Lukaku is a decent goal scorer with a record to back him up both in top European leagues and on the international stage, Haaland whilst talented isn’t on Lukaku‘s level yet.

He scored 44 goals for us in 90 games whilst in a struggling united side, he’d probably get a hat trick every week in the Austrian league.
How many of Lukaku’s goals came against top sides? How many of Haaland’s goals have come in the Champions League? I am not getting ahead of myself I have watched enough of both players to know one has a good touch, one doesn’t and one is a better finisher than the other. Haaland is by no means a better player, yet. However I know who I would rather him in my squad out of him and Lukaku.

I remind you again, Haaland is only 19. He has fantastic potential, and I expect he will go far beyond ‘Lukaku’s level’.

Judas

Open to offers
I see no negatives of him coming in, doing well and meaning Martial gets benched. I'm not really in the business of feeling sorry for footballers. Martial will just need to fight for us place, like other players do.

Still not getting my hopes up this deal will actually happen yet though.

fergosaurus

For £20m even if he flops we'd get at least our money back so this is a no-brainer. It would probably piss off a few Leeds and City fans too which is always a bonus.

AneRu

I see no negatives of him coming in, doing well and meaning Martial gets benched. I'm not really in the business of feeling sorry for footballers. Martial will just need to fight for us place, like other players do.

This, the club can only benefit from increased competition and if he benches Martial it means he will be performing great. A reliable goal scorer is a prerequisite for any successful team.

VJ1762

Exactly. People complaining about Martial potentially not seeing starter minutes make it sound like he is RVN or RVP. He is still an inconsistent forward, much like the rest of our attack. It is reflective of the modern football fan where they are more like supporters of a particular player than the club.

Marcelinho87

I am happy for us to sign Haaland regardless of Martial I just find some of the comments harsh and short sighted.

Rocknrolla69er

Great if true

But did I really read somebody say we need to sign a midfielder as backup for Fred?

Behave

Alabaster Codify7

What I’m saying is that I’d like him to compte with Martial (and he’s not guaranteed to win) rather then move Martial to the left and Rashford to the right and displace James and/or Sancho if we get him, etc... we need a bit of stability in the team setup. So if we are going to keep a forward line of 3, let this lad compete for CF.

Also it’s worth noting that currently Martial plays more a false 9 role with instructions to link up better so it’s a bit of a particular role. Rashford is the scorer, and only when the ball comes from James is Martial in position to score. If Haaland takes that role, I wonder how we play.

In my head, we'd look something like this (full-strength) until the summer:

------McTominay------Fred-------
James------Martial----------Rashford
------------------Haaland---------------

I know Martial's not a #10 but i see no reason why he couldn't do better there than Mata/Lingard/Pereira. If he can't, start one of those three and Martial/James/Rashford/Haaaland rotate based on fitness and form.

From the summer onwards, if we sign who we should sign, I'd hope:

---------McTominay-------CDM--------------------
-----------------------CAM/#10------------------------
James/Martial------Haaland---------Rashford

I think a big but technically decent CAF coul cause HAVOC bringing our fast wide forwards into play and knocking the ball onto them etc.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In my head, we'd look something like this (full-strength) until the summer:

------McTominay------Fred-------
James------Martial----------Rashford
------------------Haaland---------------

I know Martial's not a #10 but i see no reason why he couldn't do better there than Mata/Lingard/Pereira. If he can't, start one of those three and Martial/James/Rashford/Haaaland rotate based on fitness and form.

From the summer onwards, if we sign who we should sign, I'd hope:

---------McTominay-------CDM--------------------
-----------------------CAM/#10------------------------
James/Martial------Haaland---------Rashford

I think a big but technically decent CAF coul cause HAVOC bringing our fast wide forwards into play and knocking the ball onto them etc.
I do. The #10 needs to work hard. Martial standing still when we need to defend or during build up play would be a disaster.

Alabaster Codify7

I do. The #10 needs to work hard. Martial standing still when we need to defend or during build up play would be a disaster.

Fair point. Martial on the bench then, unless he can hit form and displace one of the other three forwards. The way most football clubs work.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He actually sets up goals for other players if they are in a better position to score, which is, to me, a team player. A lot of his goals are scored when he picks up through balls, and drives forward, and is the only attacking player in and around the box. He certainly has confidence when through on goal, but there is a fair bit he still has to learn, and if he did join United, then he would probably not be first choice striker, which I think Alf and Erling's team would be happy with, he would have opportunities to play for a top side, but without the pressure of being the main man, and getting top coaching from Ole/Carrick (think Ole would take Erling under his wing a little, and can visualise the both of them having little chats quite regularly about goalscoring).

Judas

Open to offers
Martial unless he really changed his style doesn't have any of the elements you'd want from a number ten really, it would be a typical case of shoving a player into any old position just to get them on the pitch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fair point. Martial on the bench then, unless he can hit form and displace one of the other three forwards. The way most football clubs work.
Bit of healthy competition for those front positions is what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.