Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
you don’t know much about City, do you? if ffp was working, they would have the budget of Norwich

they haven’t. They just spent a lot more of somebody else’s money. Occasionally spent ”wisely” but that is relative.
You're the one that clearly knows nothing :lol:

They've made fake sponsorships to give them enough leeway to pay big - but they still can't go and spend 1 billion in a window if they wanted to.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. City aren't going to be paying more than £100m for a player. What is their record transfer so far?

troylocker

I especially liked it when people called Cavani a mercenary - for moving clubs for the first time in 7 years! :lol:
The reason for that tag was the fact that he went to PSG and a lot of people see money is the only reason any top player would go there. If you are world class and want to leave a mark in football history, you don't spend your prime years at PSG.

arthurka

we wouldn't have cared about
Rialo's crying if Pogba wasn't a wuss. Haaland doesn't seem like someone who stops performing or giving his best, just because he doesn't feel loved. Dude has that Cristiano like hunger. Although he is also bit of a mercenary, so once he wins big trophies, would probably move away.
The thing is I wouldn't want us to sign Cristiano if Riola was good agent, but no I agree with you he isn't Pogba.

georgipep

We were poor and Bruno was leagues above, even missing half the season he was far more valuable compared to a replacement 10 than Martial to a replacement 9. I hope we don't let our players make transfer decisions.

Martial is 25 and has massive holes in his game so he could shore those up and become say a 30th percentile striker in the box/from crosses for a prem striker instead of the 5-10th percentile he's at and be the quality 9 we need, because he's excellent at dropping deep to pick up the ball and normally a fine dribbler (not so much lately but probably that's not permanent).
What does that even mean? Can you give me an example of a "30th percentile striker" and show me their stats?
But he's not on the level of a Bruno or Rashford and if Greenwood is going to be the 20+ goals in the league central striker he projects as based on his stats and frankly the eye test, then Martial is on the clock to make the leap, or he'll be a backup who wants a move.

1 in 25 for France is really astonishing.
Bruno has 2 goals and 4 assists for 25 games for Portugal. FYI.

Also, last season, Martial scored 23 goals and made 12 assists. Rashford scored 22 goals and made 12 assists.
I think a healthy United competing on 3 fronts is best with Martial backing up Rashford at LW and a first choice #9 like Haaland, with a RW and Diallo competing on the opposite side, but Greenwood is pretty damn good but presumably not ready to be our first choice #9 (though who knows he might score enough goals up top that playing him while he learns the overall game isn't a hard pill to swallow, the kid can really finish), so it's a bit of a puzzle.
Well, he (Greenwood) better start putting himself in positions to finish because this season it hasn't worked out for him when given the chance.
Martial (Rashford, James)----Cavani(Greenwood)-----Rashford (Diallo, Greenwood)

is that enough playing time for Greenwood and Martial and is it worth moving Rashford at RW?

Replacing Cavani in 18 months in the summer of 2022 when his contract runs out with an elite #9 and selling Martial and moving Greenwood centrally seems like the obvious move to me:

Rashford(James, Pellistri)------Haaland(Greenwood)-------Diallo(Greenwood, Pellistri)

but that's putting a lot on the kids at RW, so maybe it would be:

Martial(Rashford, Pellistri)------Haaland(Greenwood, Martial)-------Rashford(Greenwood, Pellistri)

and James will be the one to go.
So, what you are arguing is to buy a striker (while selling a striker) and that is somehow going to solve the problem on the right wing?

Need a survey:
1. How good will Martial be from age 25-28?
2. Is Rashford better on the left than the right and by how much? Is there a chance he actually be a 9?
3. Can, will and should we buy Grealish, Sancho or Haaland as the 2nd absolute feck off starter in the front 3 along with Rashford?
4. Who fits best with Bruno?
5. How good are Greeenwood and Diallo (and how quickly will they be good?)?
6. If we played Greenwood and Cavani up top instead of Martial how many more or less goals would we score?

Lot to unpack after the obvious conclusions of Rashford being our LW ideally and Greenwood needing playing time, for me.
What good is a survey going to do to answer these questions? Somehow people's answers are going to make Martial good or bad? Or make Rashford play better on either wing? How are is Diallo? Come on, he hasn't played a single minute for us.

You may have noticed that Martial is vital for our build-up, receiving from deep and playing with his back to goal. Greenwood is showing early promise in playing with his back to goal but has a tonne to learn in the other areas. I don't really know about Cavani but his age doesn't allow us to plan long-term and build our tactics around him.

I'm really glad Ole and the coaching staff do not seem to share your thoughts about Martial.

NoPace

What does that even mean? Can you give me an example of a "30th percentile striker" and show me their stats?

Bruno has 2 goals and 4 assists for 25 games for Portugal. FYI.

Also, last season, Martial scored 23 goals and made 12 assists. Rashford scored 22 goals and made 12 assists.

Well, he (Greenwood) better start putting himself in positions to finish because this season it hasn't worked out for him when given the chance.

So, what you are arguing is to buy a striker (while selling a striker) and that is somehow going to solve the problem on the right wing?

What good is a survey going to do to answer these questions? Somehow people's answers are going to make Martial good or bad? Or make Rashford play better on either wing? How are is Diallo? Come on, he hasn't played a single minute for us.

You may have noticed that Martial is vital for our build-up, receiving from deep and playing with his back to goal. Greenwood is showing early promise in playing with his back to goal but has a tonne to learn in the other areas. I don't really know about Cavani but his age doesn't allow us to plan long-term and build our tactics around him.

I'm really glad Ole and the coaching staff do not seem to share your thoughts about Martial.
I like Martial just fine but for me I tier our spots like this:

0 Reason to consider upgrading:
AM Bruno + (Pogba for the next 6 months) + Van De Beek
LW Rashford + (Pogba for the next 6 months) + James

We have 2 good ones so might as well let them fight it out:
GK De Gea + Henderson
LB Shaw + Telles
#8 Fred + Van De Beek
#9 Martial + Cavani + Greenwood
CB1 - Maguire + Bailly

One good one, they need someone to compete with
RB Wan Bissaka + _______
DM _____ + McTominay
LCB ______ + Maguire
RW _______ + Diallo

We have 2 okay ones, probably should upgrade
RCB Lindelof + Bailly

So for me upgrading Martial is lower priority than signing:
1. CB,
2. DM,
3. RB
4. RW

which should all be addressed in January and the summer with a top CB, a top DM, first choice RW (can be a bit older since Diallo or Greenwood might be a top RW soon enough) and a not that expensive right wingback like Trippier or Lamptey or whoever you like here who can challenge AWB and be first choice RWB when we got 3 at the back.

Because I'm higher on Greenwood than Martial going forward and I think Martial could be sold for a lot of money and Cavani's big wages will be off the books in 18 months, I'd look to sell Martial and buy Haaland or another better 9 in the summer of 2021 and have that top #9 backed up by Greenwood like City had for years with Aguero backed up by Jesus.

The other guys like Williams, Dalot, Pellistri and Tuanzebe should be loaned or in the academy or getting spot minutes as the 7th attacker for 6 2-deep spots or 5th CB for four 2-deep spots or 5th fullback for 4 2deep spots, since they aren't ready to be in the 2 deep at the moment. And then Lingard, Jones, Rojo, Romero and Matic get their wages off the books, loan if need be to rebuild their value.

So yeah, I likely wouldn't sell Martial unless it was say 30M + Martial for Haaland, because for me it's lower priority than the 4 above signings and money is finite, but after that, it's a battle between:

post Cavani 9 (Martial + Greenwood)
vs
LB (is one of Shaw or Telles gonna emerge as a proper great LB)
vs
#8 (Fred is solid but no more but I do rate Van De Beek in this spot if he gets time, Ajax fans often said he was better suited to #8 than #10 and I think good teams need a guy who wants to pass and move there and a 2nd goal threat and presser from midfield sounds good).
vs
The enigma that is Harry Maguire

troylocker

In tough working conditions he’s been neutralized by a good Leipzig defence for a toothless Dortmund in the first half

GledTheRed

I remember where i was when i read that BVB had signed him and my heart sank.

If we'd have signed him we would have probably won a couple of competitions last season.

Offsideagain

Just watched Dortmund v RB Leipzig with the sound off to avoid the drums and Haaland was epic. Scored two, one from a cross from Sancho. With Haaland up front, we really would give the Scousers a run for the title. Flog Pogba and get Haaland, spend the money before City sign him up. Aquero is fecked and 32. Guardiola talking Aquero up but they have given him a new contract. They must be eyeing up Haaland.

EliotTheRed

The guy is a goal machine. His movement is so good, you’d think he was a seasoned veteran let alone still a youngster with only a couple of seasons under his belt

VivaRonaldo85

Just watched Dortmund v RB Leipzig with the sound off to avoid the drums and Haaland was epic. Scored two, one from a cross from Sancho. With Haaland up front, we really would give the Scousers a run for the title. Flog Pogba and get Haaland, spend the money before City sign him up. Aquero is fecked and 32. Guardiola talking Aquero up but they have given him a new contract. They must be eyeing up Haaland.
He’s that good and would make so much difference to our starting XI, I think we win the league.

GledTheRed

If City get Haaland then we are absolutely fecked for ten years.

troylocker

While in the second half...
Well deserved Goldenboy. Best young striker in the world by miles, an absolute beast!

The buildup for 2-0 was insane, how he bullied and dribbled the entire defence on his own before passing it to Sancho

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He fits our brand of football more than Martial. A much better fit. A better pro footballer.

Guv77

He fits our brand of football more than Martial. A much better fit. A better pro footballer.
Agreed. The hold up play for the 2nd goal and then the finish to go with it was fantastic. Should be no1 priority.

Brad2020

Point taken, you could boil down the lack of United success to a lack of a sporting director and Ed Woodward's incompetence, but...

I don't have the faith that United can compete with the wealthy owners of City and Chelsea in the long term...that being said I hope I'm wrong.

justsomebloke

I can't think of anyone else I'd say this about, but just get him. With no more support than what's already there, he'll make us contenders for a decade. If it takes putting 30m in Raiolas pocket, then put 30m in Raiolas pocket.

lsd

The Oracle
Anyone who wants Haaland and gives us another Railoa player should never support this club again. I would rather we get relegated than go through another few years of the Railoa circus again

Sanche7

I would be happy if he's the only player we sign in the entire summer window. The thing i love the most about him is how confident he is, how competitive he is. He looks so driven and motivated. Players like him lift the entire team. In that aspect Haaland reminds me of Zlatan. IMO Martial lacks that drive, that desire to be the best. Infact its not just Martial, many of our players lack that drive. That's why we need players like Haaland and Bruno.
Yes, Raiola is a factor but even if its for 4/5 years, I'll be happy to have him here as with him leading our attack and a few other signings, we should be winning titles pretty easily. Not to mention we will make a huge profit off him if he indeed wants to move somewhere else in the future.

GledTheRed

Anyone who wants Haaland and gives us another Railoa player should never support this club again. I would rather we get relegated than go through another few years of the Railoa circus again
No you wouldn't, you'd suffer the cnut for his client who could potentially win us the league.

NYAS

:lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The reason for that tag was the fact that he went to PSG and a lot of people see money is the only reason any top player would go there. If you are world class and want to leave a mark in football history, you don't spend your prime years at PSG.
That wasn’t the reason at all. He was called that because United fans think we’re ugly and any big name player coming here could only possibly be coming for money. If we had signed Thiago instead of Liverpool, people would have mentioned wages. If Spurs had signed Cavani, he would not be labelled a mercenary.

Our fans use weird logic. Things like ‘a South American footballer wasn’t successful here, so another player from the same continent will be the same. We should stay away after Sanchez’.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully the people at our club don’t apply teenage emotions to business decisions.

RuudTom83

Admitting I don't know much about Raiola...

But I don't think every client he represents turns into a Pogba/United situation.
Also I think Haaland, has a very different personality to Pogba, and I can't see him crying to Raiola every time he goes away on international duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.