Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Hard to run the channels when City's back line is sat damned near the half line, compressing the pitch.

I do agree he can work on ways of impacting the game more but City played him perfectly with his current skillset.
Playing as a striker against City is tough but again he usually has the fewest touches in Bundesliga games where Dortmund dominates the ball.

He isn't the finished article and the circus created around him by a lot of people is unwarranted imo.

Red00012

If Dortmund ever think he’s too cocky for his own good they just need to send a link of the last 2 pages on here

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Playing as a striker against City is tough but again he usually has the fewest touches in Bundesliga games where Dortmund dominates the ball.

He isn't the finished article and the circus created around him by a lot of people is unwarranted imo.
I blame Raiola and the circus around the young lad, all the stories seem to imply they're on a grand pimp tour around Europe

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If anything, it’s good that he’s hit his first patch of ‘bad’ form now. 7 games in a row without a goal is the most he’s ever gone in his extremely short career. Better it happens now than once he makes his big move.

Welbeckham

People are really quick to jump the gun. City was so much better than this Dortmund team and he basically assisted a goal in both legs, yet he’s overrated. Just because he didn’t score after wiping the floor with Ruben Dias and slightly losing his balance.

He got pretty much zero service in this second leg and while his hold-up play wasn’t particularly good after the first 15 minutes, I don’t how anyone concludes that he’s overrated from that. It’s a team sport.

Chief123

Stats like that alone without context don't necessarily tell the whole picture, for example, I wouldn't be surprised if the Southampton game alone skews that number.
And yes, there's nothing wrong with wanting a team to create more chances or add players who are capable of creating chances - it doesn't mean we don't buy a striker ever, just that the RW is more of a priority.
I absolutely agree that we do need a RW but I still think a striker is a bigger priority than RW at the moment. Even if we sign Sancho, who is going to finish the chances he creates? Because Rashford and Martial have so far shown they aren’t prolific enough to be the main striker. Cavani looks to be heading off in the summer. Greenwood isn’t looking like he’s ready to take that main striker position yet. We need a RW but it’s not like we are short of creating chances. They go hand in hand. If we had Haaland or Kane this season, we’d be challenging for the title and comfortably be the leading scorers in the league. You can literally find at least one huge chance in every game which we miss. Striker is a must.

Mr.Kaya

If anything, it’s good that he’s hit his first patch of ‘bad’ form now. 7 games in a row without a goal is the most he’s ever gone in his extremely short career. Better it happens now then once he makes his big move.
This, not that its anything unormal considering his 20 years old. He's still the CL topscorer this season with 10 goals, 2 more than Mbappe. Not looking good for CL play next season if he stays at Dortmund though, which would definetly be a huge blow for him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Obviously he’s not someone who creates something out of nothing, and City are incredibly hard to play against this season, but I am surprised he wasn’t able to do some damage here. Suppose it’s normal for a player that young, even the exceptional talents. Just a couple of months ago Mbappe was being questioned for his “poor record” in the CL.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I absolutely agree that we do need a RW but I still think a striker is a bigger priority than RW at the moment. Even if we sign Sancho, who is going to finish the chances he creates? Because Rashford and Martial have so far shown they aren’t prolific enough to be the main striker. Cavani looks to be heading off in the summer. Greenwood isn’t looking like he’s ready to take that main striker position yet. We need a RW but it’s not like we are short of creating chances. They go hand in hand. If we had Haaland or Kane this season, we’d be challenging for the title and comfortably be the leading scorers in the league. You can literally find at least one huge chance in every game which we miss. Striker is a must.
I'd disagree, Martial is having a tough season yes, but he scored what 23 last season? Rashford is currently on his second season in a row with 20+ goals, and Greenwood had a terrible start to the season, no doubt affected by the death of his friend and the media pressure.
Also, goals aren't created from thin air - one of the reasons why we've struggled is because we rely too heavily on Bruno, and teams know this, so they mark him out of the game more. When Pogba was injured we saw how much we struggled because teams would sit deep against us, and double mark Bruno/Rashford. They didn't even bother with the right hand side because they know whether it's Greenwood or James, it is unlikely to turn into a serious goal scoring opportunity.
On top of that if you watch Cavani's runs when he plays, he's constantly on the shoulder of the last man but we don't have the players to find him if Bruno is being marked out of the game. The same issue would occur with Haaland. Likewise with Martial, he's at his best with his back to goal, playing 1-2 passes with Rashford/Bruno to get in behind defences, again with Bruno marked out the game, and Rashford being half fit for most of the season it's no wonder he's struggled.

Haaland's best run of form has come from Sancho providing him with assists or being part of the build-up play, it's not like he's some demi-god who scores for fun out of nowhere. His goals usually come about as a result of great team play, either his teammates noticing his runs and giving him the ball, or his team creating space by playmaking as part of the build up process in order for him to get his shot off.

A-man

We are 2nd highest scorers in the league and have the player who has created the most chances in the league and still miss a hell of a lot of chances. But yeah, we need to create more chances...

..more like get a striker who will finish them.
Our average is ok but we have struggled to score in many matches. I agree a good striker must be prio 1.

Raven

He's overhyped, not to say he isn't a good player with potential to get better but I don't think he's this generational talent that people keep talking about. His attributes are so similar to Lukaku it's ridiculous, who's a really good player so it's not a bad thing.

RooneyLegend

If a side can't create for him, then that team is in trouble. He's the easiest striker in the world to create for with his movement and yet they gave him nothing to work with.

What was even more egregious is they refused to play direct to him. Just put the ball up there. After that instance where he bullied Stones and they eventually scored, they didn't do It again. They resorted to trying play through the phases despite failing repeatedly.

He had the beating of those defenders in the air but they simply refused to toss the ball there despite it working whenever they did it. That was a train wreck of a performance going forward by Dortmund, zero creativity whatsoever. They also were terrible at pressing.

He's an amazing forward, whoever gets him will be happy. Probably needs to work on his heading. He doesn't seem to score many of those.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd disagree, Martial is having a tough season yes, but he scored what 23 last season? Rashford is currently on his second season in a row with 20+ goals, and Greenwood had a terrible start to the season, no doubt affected by the death of his friend and the media pressure.
Also, goals aren't created from thin air - one of the reasons why we've struggled is because we rely too heavily on Bruno, and teams know this, so they mark him out of the game more. When Pogba was injured we saw how much we struggled because teams would sit deep against us, and double mark Bruno/Rashford. They didn't even bother with the right hand side because they know whether it's Greenwood or James, it is unlikely to turn into a serious goal scoring opportunity.
On top of that if you watch Cavani's runs when he plays, he's constantly on the shoulder of the last man but we don't have the players to find him if Bruno is being marked out of the game. The same issue would occur with Haaland. Likewise with Martial, he's at his best with his back to goal, playing 1-2 passes with Rashford/Bruno to get in behind defences, again with Bruno marked out the game, and Rashford being half fit for most of the season it's no wonder he's struggled.

Haaland's best run of form has come from Sancho providing him with assists or being part of the build-up play, it's not like he's some demi-god who scores for fun out of nowhere. His goals usually come about as a result of great team play, either his teammates noticing his runs and giving him the ball, or his team creating space by playmaking as part of the build up process in order for him to get his shot off.
I agree with your general point that RW is a big problem and disagree with those that believe that finishing is our only issue in attack.

Sign a RW this summer, hopefully Sancho, and let's revisit CF next summer.

SoCross

Think we need an additional creativity in the side more urgently. Showed when Pogba was out, too reliant on Bruno.
Even Haaland won’t help if we aren’t creating chances.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
He's overhyped, not to say he isn't a good player with potential to get better but I don't think he's this generational talent that people keep talking about. His attributes are so similar to Lukaku it's ridiculous, who's a really good player so it's not a bad thing.
God, people are so quick to jump to conclusions whenever a player doesn't have great games, I have seen so many amazing players dismissed as overhyped in the past (even Cristiano Ronaldo often dismissed as overhyped by many people in the early 2010s). Haaland isn't overhyped, he is a pure amazing striker and might become one of the best in the history of the game.

Also, taking the cue from people saying similar shit in other thread, TAA also isn't overhyped. He is having a bad season, but look at how amazing his two previous seasons were for Liverpool, it's undeniable. He also had 19 assists in the PL last season, the highest number of assists by a fullback ever in a single PL season, beating his own record from the previous season. Only De Bruyne had more assists than TAA last season.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Striker struggles when a team can't create chances for him, shocker.
There's no point in us buying him if we don't surround him with reliable playmakers, hence a RW is more priority than a striker.
Said the same thing last week.
The idea Haaland would come in this team and instantly bang goals for fun is fanciful.

ti vu

Said the same thing last week.
The idea Haaland would come in this team and instantly bang goals for fun is fanciful.
While we can't expect him to score at monstrous rate as he has in different league, and better system; a forward of his calibre can still be prolific. We may not expect a Golden boot contender as is with our team, but standard 20+ goals per season is not a stretch for his level. We saw good forwards playing in even worse teams, doing that, so it's not mission impossible.

thepolice123

People need to watch the football Dortmund played in the tie before they start criticising him. It was utterly shocking. Hipster football died.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People need to watch the football Dortmund played in the tie before they start criticising him. It was utterly shocking. Hipster football died.
Fair enough but I wouldnt pay a player a 1 million a week contract if he was so reliant on his team mates to put the ball in the back of the net either.

I want Haaland over Kane but Kane is looking like the more bang for your buck striker considering his ability on the ball and help his team mates even if he isnt scoring a goal. He would be cheaper than Haaland too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Our of CL and top 4 finish probably, 7 games without a goal, perhaps his hype train is over and we could now bid him with a more affordable price?

thepolice123

Fair enough but I wouldnt pay a player a 1 million a week contract if he was so reliant on his team mates to put the ball in the back of the net either.

I want Haaland over Kane but Kane is looking like the more bang for your buck striker considering his ability on the ball and help his team mates even if he isnt scoring a goal. He would be cheaper than Haaland too.
Neither would I. Some of the transfer fees and wages (if true) are borderline insane.

He is definitely overhyped as hell but a player I'd love to have in the team. If he cost the same as Kane, I'd rather take him instead tbh.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't see anything wrong with Raiola wants what is best for him and his client.

Polar

and while his hold-up play wasn’t particularly good
Nothing wrong with his hold-up play. Scoring goal is off course most important, but people seem to forget his assists and greatly improved hold-up play.

Value for money wise I prefer Sancho and Kane before Haaland. I’m not surprised if Sancho/Kane (together) is insignificantly more expensive than Haaland.

I expect City or Real Madrid to win the fight for Haaland.

Welbeckham

Nothing wrong with his hold-up play. Scoring goal is off course most important, but people seem to forget his assists and greatly improved hold-up play.
I agree there was nothing wrong with his hold-up play, but it wasn’t the best I’ve seen from him. I thought he was brilliant in the first leg against City (because of his hold-up play) and was surprised to find out everyone thought the opposite.

MattJ166

I think at the moment I'd take Kane over Haaland, although I am well aware that may come to bite us later. One of the biggest reasons for my choosing Kane is I think he's a much better all round player and (most) importantly he doesn't have that absolute cockwomble as an Agent.

red thru&thru

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I said in the forum how important it is to get Pogba and Bruno playing together because we lack creativity. Even when they are playing, a lot of it will come from the left and our right side needs to be better. Sancho there would be a massive step up.

There's no games I can think of this season, where we battered teams and create endless chances whereby a top draw striker would have finished it. Every striker misses chances, as have Cavani and Håland this season. Like Dortmund of late without Sancho, they don't create enough chances for Håland to finish. I feel the same would happen to us if a striker came before a creative right sided player.

Judas

Open to offers
His hold up play was good first leg, but last night if Martial had put in a hold up display like that this place would be seething.

I'm a bit embarrassed to see this much stick for the lad, but this place loves an overreaction.

red thru&thru

I don't see anything wrong with Raiola wants what is best for him and his client.
Exactly. It's up to the club to be strong enough to say no, like they did with Håland first time around and not agreeing to the Reguilón deal.

Raven

God, people are so quick to jump to conclusions whenever a player doesn't have great games, I have seen so many amazing players dismissed as overhyped in the past (even Cristiano Ronaldo often dismissed as overhyped by many people in the early 2010s). Haaland isn't overhyped, he is a pure amazing striker and might become one of the best in the history of the game.

Also, taking the cue from people saying similar shit in other thread, TAA also isn't overhyped. He is having a bad season, but look at how amazing his two previous seasons were for Liverpool, it's undeniable. He also had 19 assists in the PL last season, the highest number of assists by a fullback ever in a single PL season, beating his own record from the previous season. Only De Bruyne had more assists than TAA last season.
You talk about him not being overhyped then you go on to say he may become the greatest in the history of the game, so you not see my point?

spiriticon

If he needs chances to be created for him on a platter, then he's not a £150 million striker.

He's a £75 million striker. Which I'd say is about right.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If he goes to Real or Barcelona for £150 million this summer the expectation levels will be sky high. I can see him flopping there under the pressure.

It’s no surprise that his goals have dried up since Sancho has been out injured.

Sancho is the player we should do everything to get.

thepolice123

If he goes to Real or Barcelona for £150 million this summer the expectation levels will be sky high. I can see him flopping there under the pressure.

It’s no surprise that his goals have dried up since Sancho has been out injured.

Sancho is the player we should do everything to get.
Dried up how? :houllier:

He's got 6 goals and 2 assists in the 8 games than Sancho was out.

Pep's Suit

He's a very good player but simply not worth 100M+. Mbappe is a level above him. Maybe two.

SuperiorXI

You can't use last night as a stick to beat Halland with, he's not a one man team. It was an example of how he'd play if he didn't get service at United. It's how most number 9s would play with shite service around them...

We must get a RW and a DM to unleash any striker that we buy (or even Cavani if he stays).

The Irish Connection

I’ve watched him fairly closely since we missed out on him and in general, when he doesn’t score, his all round game is average. Ole didn’t really like Lukaku because of that (I know there was supposedly an attitude issue as well).
So, would we just end up with another Lukaku type. Also, he doesn’t work as hard as Cavani out of possession.
I can’t decide whether we would be better off with Sancho for 70m or Haaland for 100m. Sancho can play in three positions across the front, but Greenwood is picking up form again.
I actually think the younger lad behind Haaland at Dortmund, Moukoku, might turn out the better forward from what I’ve seen of him.
Oh, and Bellingham looks class, reminds me a bit of Bryan Robson.

Status
Not open for further replies.