Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt

we don’t.

I wouldn’t be swapping Rashford for anyone. That’s not to say there aren’t better players or more promising youngsters.

If you start getting rid of fantastic home grown players who have been at the club since they were 10 years old, who are United through and through, who are one of the first names on the team sheet for anyone. Then you lose your soul as a football club.

Buy Haaland, yes, sell/swap Rashford - you are off your rocker.
We disagree then.

In the ‘unlikely‘ scenario of selling Rashford in order to buy Haaland IMO would be a sacrifice worth taking. Utd is far bigger than any one player ‘home grown‘ or otherwise. Haaland is capable of taking Utd to the top European football, I believe he’s a feckin one off amazing striker/game changer. Whereas Rashford has not convinced me he could do the same.

Personally, I’m not swayed by the ‘loves Utd’ romance, it’s the player that counts, ie Cantona, Nistelrooy and Rooney are three of the greatest iv‘e ever seen at Utd and none of them are home grown.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Caf: "No chance of us dealing with Raiola ever again"
Raiola: "Pep is a cowardly dog"
Caf: "Can't see him going anywhere else than City"

wolvored

Surely we'd be a 'stepping stone' club for him? Are we happy with that?

Perhaps it's where are now that having 3 seasons of him would be worth it, but it definitely grinds for me. Guarantee he'll be batting eye-lashes at Madrid in 2 seasons, regardless of who he signs for.
I read it was the fact he wanted a release clause (same as Reguillon) in the contract to move to a bigger club (ie Real Madrid) that put Utd off buying him and thats why I dont think we will ever buy him, unless we get him later in his career after he has done the 'bigger' club thing.

rotherham_red

This whole 'Pep player' thing is a myth imo. Alot of City fans, prior to his arrival, genuinely questioned the futures of Sterling, Aguero and KDB under Pep and whether they could fit in to his style of play. In reality, all three have flourished despite not being prototype Pep players. Pep has certain fundamentals, such as ability to press from the front and bring others into the game, which Haaland has. The fact some of the best City sources have stated Pep is a big fan definitely dispels that imo.
Like I said, I do think that if City want him, they'll get him so it's not sour grapes what I'm saying. It's just a general observation. And I'm more than willing to believe that I'll be proven wrong if he does indeed go to City and really flourish.

But re your point of the other players you mentioned: KDB and Sterling can be more easily moulded to a Pep team. They had the fundamentals in place already (and I don't think anyone were questioning either of their place in a potential Pep team, it was just whether they would be good enough to hold their places down when we saw how many players were competing for places in the team). Aguero I will grant you though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We disagree then.

In the ‘unlikely‘ scenario of selling Rashford in order to buy Haaland IMO would be a sacrifice worth taking. Utd is far bigger than any one player ‘home grown‘ or otherwise. Haaland is capable of taking Utd to the top European football, I believe he’s a feckin one off amazing striker/game changer. Whereas Rashford has not convinced me he could do the same.

Personally, I’m not swayed by the ‘loves Utd’ romance, it’s the player that counts, ie Cantona, Nistelrooy and Rooney are three of the greatest iv‘e ever seen at Utd and none of them are home grown.
And most of them, certainly two of them would have struggled for their output without the stability and the loyalty of the homgerown class of 92.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why are people questioning about Rashford's place in the squad if Haaland comes when the real person to be dropped would be Martial.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why are people questioning about Rashford's place in the squad if Haaland comes when the real person to be dropped would be Martial.
Baffling isn’t it

rotherham_red

We disagree then.

I'm sorry but no, Haaland is amazing at what he is and what he does but he isn't the potentially complete modern day attacker that Rashford is. If Haaland ever came they'd be playing together more often than not in any case, so the debate is a bit moot and pointless in any case.

Wilt

I'm sorry but no, Haaland is amazing at what he is and what he does but he isn't the potentially complete modern day attacker that Rashford is. If Haaland ever came they'd be playing together more often than not in any case, so the debate is a bit moot and pointless in any case.
As I’ve already said ”in the unlikely scenario”....

Red00012

Seemingly his dream is to win the champs league and Ballon D’Or so I think we can stop dreaming of him for the next few years.

We disagree then.

It then you are making an assumption that Haaland would ‘love Utd’ - there’s nothing to suggest that he would.

it’s also not about romance. It’s perhaps intangible, but United supporters need players that come through, it’s in our blood.

the thought of selling Rashford makes my piss boil. If he ever wanted to leave, then fine, but not when he’s a fantastic first team player and wants to spend his entire career here.

Wilt

And most of them, certainly two of them would have struggled for their output without the stability and the loyalty of the homgerown class of 92.
Well yes football is a team game.

As good class of 92 were, it could also be argued they got there on the back of Eric Cantona, who imediently transformed the fortunes of Utd.

RVN, one of the most clinical strikers I’ve ever seen, he’d score goals no matter who he played for.

As for Rooney, IMO simply a most naturally gifted player. Rashford is very good, but is not yet and indeed may never reach the level of prime Rooney.

Its all subjective.

Wilt

It then you are making an assumption that Haaland would ‘love Utd’ - there’s nothing to suggest that he would.

it’s also not about romance. It’s perhaps intangible, but United supporters need players that come through, it’s in our blood.

the thought of selling Rashford makes my piss boil. If he ever wanted to leave, then fine, but not when he’s a fantastic first team player and wants to spend his entire career here.
Where have I said ’Haaland would love Utd’ ?

Don’t get too excited, it’s just subjective.

cyberman

Caf: "No chance of us dealing with Raiola ever again"
Raiola: "Pep is a cowardly dog"
Caf: "Can't see him going anywhere else than City"
Good point. Should really kill the City theory imo

wolvored

He would have kept Ince Parker and Hughes. Kanchelskis would have probably remained as well if the class of 92 hadnt have come through. They had won the league and cup double

Bebestation

He would have kept Ince Parker and Hughes. Kanchelskis would have probably remained as well if the class of 92 hadnt have come through. They had won the league and cup double
Ronaldo after building arguably the best player of all time in Manchester left after 3 great years and 6 years of education.

On the other side you have Messi who has spent all his career to date at Barcelona because he started there.

That's why you don't sell rashford for haaland when rashford has been producing for us.

If you think Ince and kanchelskis was good as Giggs and scholes or show loyalty then so be it.

@Wilt

city-puma

You think the keeper would have a chance if it were him instead of Martial on that one-on-one. He's bigger and stronger than most defenders.
I think this is ridiculous. You can say his conversion rate is higher than martial. But, you suggest he never misses one-on-one?!

Don’t get me wrong. I am just think he is far from a finished product and also at the moment far from a COMPLETE striker as many have claimed here. I REALLY love to have him here but am not sure the expected huge transfer fee is reasonable. His buyout fee is ok if there is no ridiculous agent fee.

city-puma

Pep usually avoids the tall center forward, that much is known.
Under his command, Ibrahimovic was unremarkable. Lewandowski was good, but we've only seen the best of him when Pep left.
At City, they always had a tall striker to partner Aguero (Dzeko, Balotelli, Negredo). Pep completely binned that option and put all his chips on another small, nimble striker in Gabriel Jesus.
Based on this observation, if Haaland were to join City, it would be a desire of the board, not the manager. I don't think Pep would accept that nowadays, and I don't think Haaland would want to play for a manager who frowns on the type of player he is.
That might end up being our luck.
Very true. He is not technically good enough for Pep, TBH.

Wilt

Was the natural conclusion for you bringing up Rooney, RVN etc?
Not at all, they are just Utd players who I rate higher than Rashford, in reply to another post. Indeed there are many other Utd players home grown or otherwise I rate higher than Rashford.

The Haaland/Rashford comparison came about because I rate Haaland higher than both Rashford and Martial combined.

I’m a Utd supporter but I don’t go for the ’home grown’ line. Yes, with our history of the Busby Babes and the Class of 92 it‘s desirable. But make no mistake, if a home grown player, no matter who, doesn’t meet continued expectations or is well past his best, the Club will have no hesitation in moving him on, ie Lingard.

The thread is about Haaland and I see him as a genuine game changer for whichever (probably City) club is fortunate enough to get him.

But as I said, it’s all subjective.

Not at all, they are just Utd players who I rate higher than Rashford, in reply to another post. Indeed there are many other Utd players home grown or otherwise I rate higher than Rashford.

The Haaland/Rashford comparison came about because I rate Haaland higher than both Rashford and Martial combined.

I’m a Utd supporter but I don’t go for the ’home grown’ line. Yes, with our history of the Busby Babes and the Class of 92 it‘s desirable. But make no mistake, if a home grown player, no matter who, doesn’t meet continued expectations or is well past his best, the Club will have no hesitation in moving him on, ie Lingard.

The thread is about Haaland and I see him as a genuine game changer for whichever (probably City) club is fortunate enough to get him.

But i said, it’s all subjective.
Rashford meets expectations though, we aren’t talking about Tom Cleverely. This is a young player, who has the world at his feet. We should be bloody delighted he’s at the club.

I’d love to have Haaland at the club, but I wouldn’t sacrifice Rashford to do so.

Ah ok! Goldbridge on united stand does it all the time - does my head in!
I don’t mind so much if it’s actually factual (although I don’t see why you would do it) I.e. Man Utd are ahead of Liverpool - fact. But deffo not - Rashford is a better player than Martial - fact. No it’s a bloody opinion.

city-puma

Many suggest to sell either Rashford or Martial, or both. Speechless. It’s like people are playing football manager or FIFA career mode.
This reminds me Ruud can Nistelrooy. We bought him because he was a almost “complete” goal machine. However, it was a failure for us to set up the team with him as the focal point in front. It limited our options in offensive. We eventually bought Saha to add dynamic so that the whole team could play more expanded, dynamic, unpredictable attack.
If we eventually get Haarland, I guess Ole will definitely know how to avoid Ruud situation because he had the first hand experience about it.

Wilt

Rashford meets expectations though, we aren’t talking about Tom Cleverely. This is a young player, who has the world at his feet. We should be bloody delighted he’s at the club.

I’d love to have Haaland at the club, but I wouldn’t sacrifice Rashford to do so.
Agreed, Rashford is a cracking player and better we have him than anyone else. He’s young, talented, likeable and inoffensive which is part of his charm and understandably why people are keen to keep him.

But with regrets, all be it extremely unlikely, for the sake of success and to take the club to the next level, I would still sacrifice him for Haaland.

We‘ll just have to agree to disagree.

GoldTrafford99

We disagree then.

Eh, mate...

We are Manchester United.

We have had two spells of dominance in our 140-year history.

In the 1950s/1960s

and then again

In the 1990s/2000s

Both eras were built upon a platform of home grown players.

I would hate to be just a buying club. I wouldn't get any satisfaction as a fan winning league titles the way Chelsea and City have. Just spending your way to a title goes against the ethos of this great club. We are a FOOTBALL CLUB. Not just a football team. Our first team should always be littered with talents we developed at the football club. ALWAYS.

Which is why, for me, the job Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is doing totally - in every conceivable way - outweighs the jobs LvG and Mourinho did. We were becoming Chelsea under them. Think about it. Ibrahimovic, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Mkhitaryian, Sanchez - uuuuuuugh, makes me wanna vomit every time I think of 2014-2018.

Imagine wanting to swap probably the greatest, certainly has the potential to be the greatest, academy graduate we've ever had (a record breaker in goal stats BTW from our academy) for a player agented by Mino Raiola. It just proves there are fans out there who think real football is like Football Manager.... It's not a case of filling your XI with the best XI players you can find, my man... What you're saying doesn't make sense to any Manchester United fan who knows why he/she supports Manchester United.

Handré1990

Many suggest to sell either Rashford or Martial, or both. Speechless. It’s like people are playing football manager or FIFA career mode.
This reminds me Ruud can Nistelrooy. We bought him because he was a almost “complete” goal machine. However, it was a failure for us to set up the team with him as the focal point in front. It limited our options in offensive. We eventually bought Saha to add dynamic so that the whole team could play more expanded, dynamic, unpredictable attack.
If we eventually get Haarland, I guess Ole will definitely know how to avoid Ruud situation because he had the first hand experience about it.
You username does my head in. Are you City or United?

troylocker

Why on earth would you want to bring in Haaland at the expense of Rashford?

What planet are you on?

Haaland will move at least three more times in his career. A plan is already in place for that.

If he signed for United next summer - he'll be gone three years from now - probably to Spain.

Marcus Rashford is a Manchester lad... A Manchester United fan. A guy who would never leave our club.

If Haaland signs for us next summer - he'll probably score 60-80 goals for us over 3/4 seasons, then he's off to Madrid.

Marcus Rashford will likely score four or five times that amount during his entire career with United and will likely end up as our greatest ever goalscorer.

Your opinion here is about as awful as it gets. Who would think this way? I swear some fans don't see past the next match. They're incapable of looking at the long-term.
Answers/comments to your questions and claims in chronological order:

- It wouldn't be at the expence of Rashford, Rashford would still be here doing his thing on the left. (It would be a horrible, plastic deal if we exchanged Haaland for a homegrown like Rashford, but it would improve our team)
- Earth/Tellus.
- Where have you got this from? This is just pure speculation
- Again, 100% speculation.
- He sure is a homegrown Manchester United player through and through, and an excellent player as well. Wouldn't want him to leave, but again: pure speculation.
- My guess would be that he would score 40-60 a season for us (my opinion of course) adding up to 120-240 goals over 3/4 seasons. The off to Madrid claim is again 100% speculation based on your gut feeling. He might stay for the rest of his career, he might leave for another club. Impossible to know and either way should not stand in the way of signing him.
- No! Haaland in Bundesliga, CL and National team: 69 minutes per goal. Rashford for Man United and for the National team: 200 minutes per goal. How many seasons would Rashford need to just match Haalands goaltally? Your math doesn't add up, mate! Not even if Haalands goal/minute ratio should drop off a cliff and Rashford suddenly should become a consistant 30 a season attacker (Totals each season so far in all comps: 8, 11, 13, 13, 22, 14 so far this season)

- The last one wasn't meant for me so I'll leave it there.

Rashford has been very good player for us and will probably have a long and great career for us. Great!
Haaland is, in my opinion, on a different tier, and the output he's had on the pitch the last 18 months has never been seen for anyone his age before (that is a fact). If he comes here I think he will continue to break every record like he has been doing in every competition he has entered so far in his career. He eats, drinks and thinks goals 24/7 and is a physical and mental beast. Not trying to sign him would be criminal if you have ambitions as a club.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I think this is ridiculous. You can say his conversion rate is higher than martial. But, you suggest he never misses one-on-one?!

Don’t get me wrong. I am just think he is far from a finished product and also at the moment far from a COMPLETE striker as many have claimed here. I REALLY love to have him here but am not sure the expected huge transfer fee is reasonable. His buyout fee is ok if there is no ridiculous agent fee.
He would never miss that one.

wolvored

Ronaldo after building arguably the best player of all time in Manchester left after 3 great years and 6 years of education.

On the other side you have Messi who has spent all his career to date at Barcelona because he started there.

That's why you don't sell rashford for haaland when rashford has been producing for us.

If you think Ince and kanchelskis was good as Giggs and scholes or show loyalty then so be it.

@Wilt
The question was about keeping home grown players aand mentioned the success of the class of 92. All I was saying we still would have had the success even if the class of 92 hadnt have came through

Handré1990

The question was about keeping home grown players aand mentioned the success of the class of 92. All I was saying we still would have had the success even if the class of 92 hadnt have came through
Impossible to know, but I’m going to respectfully disagree. Actually, never mind, it’s a fecking bonkers conclusion.

Bebestation

Impossible to know, but I’m going to respectfully disagree. Actually, never mind, it’s a fecking bonkers conclusion.
Success is hard to explain. Success can be a single thing, it can be a multiple thing, it can be the longest thing possible and the widest thing possible.

To think the class of 92 isnt one of our most longest and widest successes eras here due to their joint loyalty and their abilities to come within a system and learn a United way together is pretty nuts especially when possibly thinking that Ince and Kanchelskis could be 'just as successful' as them.

This is why I wouldnt sell Rashford as long as he is a producing player giving his best for us. He will do so until the day he dies (retires) and our success will be linked partly down to his loyalty and to learn the United way through thick and thin.

passing-wind

The Rashford talk is nonsense, for starters the two players play in completely different positions. I feel Haaland would offer absolutely nothing on the wings that position is not attributed to his strengths. Neither is Rashford competent enough to play as a sole striker consistently. I am shocked often with fans suggestions to veto Rashford who has been a productive performer under Solskjaer for the likes of a Grealish or some other flavour of the month. I've been critical of Rashford many times but he's definitely proved me wrong with his output especially towards influencing results.

Haaland like many younger footballers in the Bundesliga is still relatively unproven. He's shown a very high level of promise. Until he's doing what he's doing consistently over at least 36 months and against superior level opposition he still poses a risk especially if Dortmund ask for more money than Sancho. The only footballer for me in world football who's identified as a younger and has the pedigree to back his established reputation is Mbappe. The term "generational" and "world class" is coined far too often in football circles. Let players prove their worth, hype shouldn't be the benefactor because all it does is lead to disappointment.

Handré1990

Success is hard to explain. Success can be a single thing, it can be a multiple thing, it can be the longest thing possible and the widest thing possible.

To think the class of 92 isnt one of our most longest and widest successes eras here due to their joint loyalty and their abilities to come within a system and learn a United way together is pretty nuts especially when possibly thinking that Ince and Kanchelskis could be 'just as successful' as them.

This is why I wouldnt sell Rashford as long as he is a producing player giving his best for us. He will do so until the day he dies (retires) and our success will be linked partly down to his loyalty and to learn the United way through thick and thin.
I’m totally with you on that score! I see it regularly around here, «don’t know what Rashford is good at, bad technically, no fotball brain» etc. We haven’t seen anything close to his top form this season, he’s still putting up the numbers. This is a good thing ffs! We’ll see the best of him soon enough. As of now or second most important player.

Erling would love to play with Rashford.

Apologies @city-puma! I saw you referred to United as us and my mind brain got confused:p

city-puma

I’m totally with you on that score! I see it regularly around here, «don’t know what Rashford is good at, bad technically, no fotball brain» etc. We haven’t seen anything close to his top form this season, he’s still putting up the numbers. This is a good thing ffs! We’ll see the best of him soon enough. As of now or second most important player.

Erling would love to play with Rashford.

Apologies @city-puma! I saw you referred to United as us and my mind brain got confused:p
Can I change my username here? :confused:
no worry, man!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.