Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
it's no great announcement that Haaland is of high interest to Madrid and could easily see him going there.

I just don't see how they could afford to bring in Haaland for 75m plus wages with a Raiola bonus then bring in both Pogba and Mbappe on frees with their wages along with probably two more big signing bonuses to the players and Raiola. Fat boy is going to make some massive money next summer.

you're talking arguably 150m in fees and probably 1.75m p/w in wages between the three of them after tax....there is no way for them to sustain that especially given how much they are spending to renovate the Bernabeu
The fact that Pogba is going on a free is a indicator he is going to PSG in my opinion.

Unlikely lad

I think it’s very unlikely he’ll come to us.

City have a glaring blank spot in his position, his dad played for them, they’re better than us at the moment, and they have one of the so-called best managers of this generation.

Obviously, some of the above means nothing if we have a better season than city (unlikely, but hopefully). Kinda hope the way Pep fared with Zlatan & Aguero also plays on his mind…

seegoblu

City have a glaring blank spot in his position, his dad played for them, they’re better than us at the moment, and they have one of the so-called best managers of this generation.

Obviously, some of the above means nothing if we have a better season than city (unlikely, but hopefully). Kinda hope the way Pep fared with Zlatan & Aguero also plays on his mind…
Since Pep would only be his manager for one year, I’m not sure that he will be part of the equation.

Offsideagain

Haaland is going to Real Madrid. City won’t get him because his agent and Guardiola do like each other and the money involved is too much for City if they want to adhere to FFP. Raiola wants millions and so does Haaland senior plus over £500k per week for the lad. After today’s performance at OT, do we need him? We need a quality defensive midfielder before another striker.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
it's no great announcement that Haaland is of high interest to Madrid and could easily see him going there.

I just don't see how they could afford to bring in Haaland for 75m plus wages with a Raiola bonus then bring in both Pogba and Mbappe on frees with their wages along with probably two more big signing bonuses to the players and Raiola. Fat boy is going to make some massive money next summer.

you're talking arguably 150m in fees and probably 1.75m p/w in wages between the three of them after tax....there is no way for them to sustain that especially given how much they are spending to renovate the Bernabeu
Bale(30), Marcelo(15), Isco(15), Modric(15) all coming off the books end of season. Benzema(20), Kroos(20) off the books 2023

That's €115M coming off the books over the next 2 seasons. Suppose Mbappé(70), Haaland(60), Pogba(25), that's €155M, an increase of €40M to the wage bill. Throw in the various sales of fringe players, maybe another relative high earner or two, and with stadiums reopening and the economy picking up again, not that impossible now is it? Hell, if by some miracle we manage to feck off hazard's wages, that alone would pretty much break us even :D

NYAS

I know Real are a massive club but the PL is the place to be at the moment.

Playing a Classico against Eric Garcia and Clement Lenglet. Sounds fascinating.

Threesus

Real were nowhere near us in 2009 and Ronaldo still wanted to go to them. I think people underestimate the allure of the Real Madrid white. As much as I hate to admit it, they are the grandest of all European clubs

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Bale(30), Marcelo(15), Isco(15), Modric(15) all coming off the books end of season. Benzema(20), Kroos(20) off the books 2023

That's €115M coming off the books over the next 2 seasons. Suppose Mbappé(70), Haaland(60), Pogba(25), that's €155M, an increase of €40M to the wage bill. Throw in the various sales of fringe players, maybe another relative high earner or two, and with stadiums reopening and the economy picking up again, not that impossible now is it? Hell, if by some miracle we manage to feck off hazard's wages, that alone would pretty much break us even :D
Economy picking up in Spain?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Real were nowhere near us in 2009 and Ronaldo still wanted to go to them. I think people underestimate the allure of the Real Madrid white. As much as I hate to admit it, they are the grandest of all European clubs
That is true, but I am not sure that is what matters most to Haaland. So far I feel that these points are the most important for him:
1. Who has the best setup to win titles (ALL titles) and set him up to break individual records while doing that?
2. Who pays the most money?

I am really not sure if Real Madrid is the answer to both questions, as I see it now they are in the mix as well as United, PSG, City (less likely from my point of view, but just a guess). Will be an interesting transfer summer next year, we will see which club signs which players and therefore appears to Haaland as the right destination.

FromTheBench

Ronaldo was mediterrenean though who see Real as biggest allure growing up.

Haaland is Norwegian where premier league is generally the biggest brand for a long while now. His dad also played here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I know Real are a massive club but the PL is the place to be at the moment.

Playing a Classico against Eric Garcia and Clement Lenglet. Sounds fascinating.
La Liga lost so much when they let Messi go. The Classico has lost so much of it allure now that both teams really lack that megastar that carries the team on their shoulders.

All the football hype went to the Premier League, PSG is only interesting for the Champions League, while La Liga is left picking up the scraps.

RkkMan

He's going to Madrid or City, hopefully Madrid. It's impossible he comes here as long as Ronaldo is performing and fit. Sooner people accept that the better.

Sviken

People like to forget, but it had nothing to do with his "dream". If anyone remembers, Ronaldo had no problem going to Barcelona after the fans started booing him after the World Cup fiasco. Real offered him a obscene amount of money to go there. Something like 3 times Rooney's improved contract in 2010 or 2011 (if I remember correctly). Money we couldn't offer because the club was saddled with debt. And they offered us close to 100 million, which now looks as a robbery, but at that time that was an enormous amount of money we desperately needed.

Chief123

Having seen how sharp Ronaldo still looks, there's no doubt he Ronnie will have it in him beyond this season. That actually makes it more difficult in our chase for Haaland. You couldn't play both of them in the same team. It is going to be interesting to see what we do.

Tony247

He's going to Madrid or City, hopefully Madrid. It's impossible he comes here as long as Ronaldo is performing and fit. Sooner people accept that the better.
In fact I see the other way. A young hungry striker like Haaland would love to play with Ronaldo, watch him, learn from him. It is once in a lifetime opportunity. I feel the odds of him joining united have increased.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In fact I see the other way. A young hungry striker like Haaland would love to play with Ronaldo, watch him, learn from him. It is once in a lifetime opportunity. I feel the odds of him joining united have increased.
That is a very romantic way to think of it. But I don't believe these two could play together, as both would like to be leading the line for their teams. IF Haaland should join United now, it would be to overpower Ronaldo and put him into his place (which probably would have to be the bench), not to admire him.

RkkMan

Haaland already has that superstar status at 21. He won't be coming to Utd to "learn from Ronaldo" when his intention is to be somewhere that gives him all the spotlight to challenge for the Ballon D'or and best believe Ronaldo isn't sitting on the bench for ANYONE as long as he's fit and firing.
The idea of Haaland and Ronaldo in one team seems nice and romantic in imagination but next to impossible in the real world. And we're yet to include Greenwood in the picture who we're grooming to be our future No9.

RkkMan

That is a very romantic way to think of it. But I don't believe these two could play together, as both would like to be leading the line for their teams. IF Haaland should join United now, it would be to overpower Ronaldo and put him into his place (which probably would have to be the bench), not to admire him.
How people can't grasp this simple logic I genuinely don't understand. Even a top class man manager like Ole will have an extremely hard time keeping two such high profile players for one spot happy when they both want to start weekly. The Haaland to Utd ship sailed in 2020

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How people can't grasp this simple logic I genuinely don't understand. Even a top class man manager like Ole will have an extremely hard time keeping two such high profile players for one spot happy when they both want to start weekly. The Haaland to Utd ship sailed in 2020
It's as if we didn't have another uber competitive forward who preferred to have his own team than play as part of one of the greatest forward trio ever with Messi and Neymar. Those players aren't looking to learn now, they're looking to kill the competition and win as much as possible being the main guy. It's also why I don't see Mbappe and Haaland together at Madrid.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure how he fits in now, Ronaldo's here for at least 3 years imo if not 4 and while Haaland is the long term option what do you do with him for those 4 years?

Guess we'll see as the season progresses but right now I can't imagine Ronaldo not starting every game of any significance

bosskeano

why is the LaLiga president coming out today talking about how Madrid can afford to purchase both Haaland and Mbappe next summer?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Haaland doesn't do rotation. Neither does Benzema.

Not to mention, Benzema is coming off of one of his best seasons - performance wise. He's still a marvel. Reports were that Madrid offered a contract till 2024 but he refused himself.

Haaland has more chance of fitting in with United (Ronaldo being 38, toward the end of his game, if Haaland joined) than with Madrid (Benzema being 34 and still at the top of his game).
Haaland is a strategic signing for 10, 15 years.

In the big scheme of things the club should sign him and the problems that are derived from that are secondary.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Nah... 2019 when Greenwood broke through

troylocker

Haaland already has that superstar status at 21. He won't be coming to Utd to "learn from Ronaldo" when his intention is to be somewhere that gives him all the spotlight to challenge for the Ballon D'or and best believe Ronaldo isn't sitting on the bench for ANYONE as long as he's fit and firing.
The idea of Haaland and Ronaldo in one team seems nice and romantic in imagination but next to impossible in the real world. And we're yet to include Greenwood in the picture who we're grooming to be our future No9.
In what world would the fact that we have a 37 year old superstar on his way down stop us from pursuing the best player out there in that position? Ronaldo will maybe last 2 more seasons if he's lucky and avoids injuries. Buying Ronaldo now was never a longterm solution, and next summer even less....

Chief123

Unfortunately with La Liga going to shit, I think he will choose the premier league where all the best players are ending up.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In what world would the fact that we have a 37 year old superstar on his way down stop us from pursuing the best player out there in that position? Ronaldo will maybe last 2 more seasons if he's lucky and avoids injuries. Buying Ronaldo now was never a longterm solution, and next summer even less....
Playing both at the same time makes little sense, so Ronaldo would have to accept he is benched. It will be interesting to see if he accepts that. The risk for a clash of the two is definitely there, so it is at least something one has to consider.

It is of course possible that this happens, but the point was that you can't treat Haaland like some young talent who is eager to learn, you would get a genuine superstar and the accompanying ego.

troylocker

Nah... 2019 when Greenwood broke through
Let's not compare Greenwood and Haaland for the striker position, because Greenwood is painfully far behind Haaland when it comes to playing the #9 position. Greenwood will come in handy for us though.

troylocker

Playing both at the same time makes little sense, so Ronaldo would have to accept he is benched. It will be interesting to see if he accepts that. The risk for a clash of the two is definitely there, so it is at least something one has to consider.

It is of course possible that this happens, but the point was that you can't treat Haaland like some young talent who is eager to learn, you would get a genuine superstar and the accompanying ego.
We can agree on that, but we cannot not go for Haaland out of respect to the old man. United with 22 year old Haaland will be more dangerous than United with 37 year old Ronaldo, that must be clear.

Red4Life_#7

Let's not compare Greenwood and Haaland for the striker position, because Greenwood is painfully far behind Haaland when it comes to playing the #9 position. Greenwood will come in handy for us though.
They are different players and Greenwood is younger than Haaland. If Greenwood played in the lesser German league, he would be scoring goals for fun too.

Both will be great players.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We can agree on that, but we cannot not go for Haaland out of respect to the old man. United with 22 year old Haaland will be more dangerous than United with 37 year old Ronaldo, that must be clear.
Absolutely. But is it? Somehow I don't believe Ole has the balls to bench Ronaldo...

Tallis

Madrid would be Barcelona level 3 years from now if they actually do that. All 3 would be on insane wages unsustainable for any club. At this point, as good as Haaland is, I don't want him. 1 million per week plus gazillion to Raiola and his father at age 20? He's not prime Messi or Ronaldo. Mbappe looks to be the same in terms of demands. Utterly ridiculous. Wage caps should be placed like they are in America. And especially agent fees.
As unlikely as it sounds, I think RM can afford them without becoming the next Barca. 2 of those 3 is going to be free and the 3rd has a reasonable release clause. They will have to offer around €800K per week to both M and H plus around €400k to pogba for a total of around €2.0m per week. But then they have contracts expiring for Bale (600k), Modric (300k?), Marcelo (250k?). They will also probably shift Jovic (€400k) and some of the squad players. Besides, they have been selling and not buying for the last 2 seasons to sign up Mbappe.

Dve

Yes, but arguable a better right wing. Luckily for us.

RkkMan

Ronaldo isn't an ordinary 36/37 yr old though. He's still super super fit, scoring goals at a high rate and still capable of playing 40-50 games a season. Unless God forbid he gets a bad injury or flops hard at some point it's extremely wishful thinking imagining Ronaldo with his GOAT status and massively gigantic ego accepting a bench role to Haaland who's just 21/22 with both of them on similar wages. If Mbappe can want to ditch PSG even with Messi there there's every chance Haaland won't want to come here too knowing he'd have an everyday battle with Ronaldo trying to be the main man

Status
Not open for further replies.