Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pay him what he wants. That boy is going to do prime Cristiano Ronaldo at Madrid numbers in the next 6-8 years. Let it be us that enjoys him doing that

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe you've been living under a rock and don't know what this kid has done so far in his career so I'll give you a pass. Ronaldo isn't producing his numbers and even he, at his age still gets paid a lot of money. I don't think he's good, i know he's good, haven't you watched him at all? he literally was the CL's top scorer just last season. How did you miss all of that? Old Ronaldo's team also got trashed on the weekend in case you don't know, i mean, no team wins all its matches and that's just a reflection on how good his team is. Of course he maybe wont win things, that's cause teams win things and not individuals. If he joins us for example, who the hell knows when we'll get things right?

Players of his level don't fail. This isn't a project, this is one of the best players in the world and as i said he should be paid as such regardless of how old he is.
Overall speaking, they are producing very similar numbers over past couple of years though. Let’s take the past 2-3 years for example, when Haaland is in amazing goalscoring form, and compare with the declining Ronaldo at age 34-36.

From 19-21: ( all competitions)

Ronaldo - 109 goals in 127 games (72 in 91 for Juventus, 6 in 8 for Man Utd, 30 in 28 for Portugal)

Haaland - 110 goals in 106 games (28 in 22 for Red Bull, 70 in 69 for Dortmund, 12 in 15 for Norway)

Haaland does have more goals in CL, but Ronaldo has more goals in better leagues and international tournament. Overall there’s not much difference between the two in terms of numbers over recent years, especially if we also consider the level of football and teams they are playing, Ronaldo record look even more impressive. I mean, that’s the difference of Sancho from Dortmund and Man Utd so far:

Sancho for Man Utd: 0 goals 0 assists in 11 games (avg 0 g+a per game)
Sancho for Dortmund: 42 goals 48 assists in 113 games (avg 0.8 g+a per game)

and this is another recent examples:

Werner in BL season (19-20): 34 goals in 45 games
Werner in PL season (20-21): 12 goals in 52 games

So it may not be wise to take his record in Red Bull + Dortmund in the same face value as Ronaldo record in Juventus + Man Utd. But we may assume Haaland is young and could only get better.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I just never want our club anywhere near Raoila ever again.

We have Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho for up front, the kind of outlay we're talking would be much better spent on midfield.

United never really was about buying the greatest, highest profile talent from the continent. Hasn't ever worked out for us when we've tried either.

RooneyLegend

Haaland is definitely going to be very good, but I am just a bit unsure about paying that much for someone who is having great numbers from teams like Dortmund and league like BL. Werner got 34 goals in his last season at BL (Harland best season was 40), whereas Sancho got great numbers in Dortmund too. Look how bad they are in PL now, not even half as good as they were back in BL. Of course Haaland maybe totally different animal, especially with his amazing CL stats, but that’s what I heard they say about Sancho too, you know. Just a little unsure paying that huge money on him, who might not be staying for very long anyway.
Maybe you've missed his exploits in the CL but I tell you they've been extraordinary.

RooneyLegend

Overall speaking, they are producing very similar numbers over past couple of years though. Let’s take the past 2-3 years for example, when Haaland is in amazing goalscoring form, and compare with the declining Ronaldo at age 34-36.

From 19-21: ( all competitions)

Ronaldo - 109 goals in 127 games (72 in 91 for Juventus, 6 in 8 for Man Utd, 30 in 28 for Portugal)

Haaland - 110 goals in 106 games (28 in 22 for Red Bull, 70 in 69 for Dortmund, 12 in 15 for Norway)

Haaland does have more goals in CL, but Ronaldo has more goals in better leagues and international tournament. Overall there’s not much difference between the two in terms of numbers over recent years, especially if we also consider the level of football they are playing. But we may assume Haaland is young and could only get better.
Take out the pens and you'll get the full picture.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Take out the pens and you'll get the full picture.
Err.. Haaland is the main penalty scorer for his team too. For example, last goal he scored for Dortmund is a penalty. And he already has scored 3 penalties for Dortmund this season, Ronaldo doesn‘t have one for Man Utd yet.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
They can't. FFP is still a thing.
City and PSG proves FFP does not apply to wages. With his release clause it is possible that Newcastle could afford his clause and pay whatever wage they want. I don’t think he would do it though. He wants CL above all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Last season he scored 38 goals in open play, Ronaldo scored 27. The season before he scored 40 in open play, Ronaldo scored 23. Those numbers aren't similar.
Yes but these are only his clubs stats at Dortmund and Red Bull, in a very open attacked team under good system at an easier league to score goals. Werner also scored 34 goals the season before he joined Chelsea where he couldn't score 1/3 as many in PL, Sancho has 20+ goals 20+ assists in his best seasons there too, he has 0 goals 0 assists in 11 games this season in PL. Not apple to apple comparison. Also Ronaldo scores far more goals in open play than Haaland for international football over past 2-3 years.

Last edited:

tenpoless

We're in a bad position to sign him.
We have Ronaldo, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani which means he won't be automatic first choice if he joins.
Our team lacks playstyle, makes it much harder for strikers to score.
Our team isn't favourite for any trophies.
Raiola is his agent and we have bad records with him, Haaland will surely look at Pogba and think all the talents in the world wont get him any silverwares unless if the team is fully functional.
There might be a shift in the managerial position.

We're not a settled team. Unless if we throw a lot of money, more than any other club I don't think he will join. His connection with Ole is overstated. So what if they knew each other since he was a teenager? it doesn't matter. The lad has the best clubs in the world ready to sign him the moment he's available.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Considering he is a Raiola player I've personally hope we kind of go for it in a we want you the most if you want us the most approach.

We should go for it showing our biggest interest first (biggest offer) and if he then starts showing any bits ego to the club (pogba leaving on a free initially etc) like he isn't the most interested or he is waiting for other offers even when other offers are crap; then I think it shows generally what kind of thing will come in the future.

I like haaland - but as great as Raiola can be as an Agent, he can cause a hindrance of an understanding between a club and players - look at Lingard and Pogba. You feel at times that a player can act bigger than the club and Haaland doesn't seem like he would be the most in line.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Considering he is a Raiola player I've personally hope we kind of go for it in a we want you the most if you want us the most approach.

We should go for it showing our biggest interest first (biggest offer) and if he then starts showing any bits ego to the club (pogba leaving on a free initially etc) like he isn't the most interested or he is waiting for other offers even when other offers are crap; then I think it shows generally what kind of thing will come in the future.

I like haaland - but as great as Raiola can be as an Agent, he can cause a hindrance of an understanding between a club and players - look at Lingard and Pogba. You feel at times that a player can act bigger than the club and Haaland doesn't seem like he would be the most in line.
Yeah I dislike Raiola as well. That €75m fee was inserted so that his dad and agent can also get a slice of a fee when he is bought. Meaning hell already cost circa €100m+ at the very least. Hell still be a “bargain” in today’s market though.

Considering his age, he’ll probably sign a 5 year contract with his next club and run it down to leave on a free afterwards. He seems ambitious and I can see him wanting to play in all the top leagues like the EPL and La Liga.

On a random note: I think lingard’s dropped Raiola as his agent.

LoneStar

I can't see him at United. We have CR7 at the moment. And yes, while we know he is much older, I'm not sure the club would see it that way.

Besides, he would have the likes of RM and City, to choose from. Much more chances of success there. We would have to pay over the odds.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
If this guy works hard enough and stays humble and doesn't let all the hype and fame get to him he'll become better than both Zlatan and Lewandowski.
Haaland lives much more from his physical strength and speed than Lewandowski, who on top has a better technique and probably the best first touch of all strikers. Further Lewandowski lives an absolute professional lifestyle and is hardly ever injured.
I would be very surprised if Haaland is still active at the age of Lewandowski.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Haaland lives much more from his physical strength and speed than Lewandowski, who on top has a better technique and probably the best first touch of all strikers. Further Lewandowski lives an absolute professional lifestyle and is hardly ever injured.
I would be very surprised if Haaland is still active at the age of Lewandowski.
I don't like definitive statements, but Benzema has the best touch of all strikers. As far as Haaland into his later years, I think he's intelligent enough to adapt as he ages because he's extremely intelligent in his movement without depending on his speed. He also seems to take very good care of his body already, even if he's had some bad luck with little injuries here and there lately. Right now, the main thing I'm keeping an eye on is if those injuries are just bad luck and nothing more, or if the motor he operates on with his frame is going to create more injury issues down the line. It is a bit concerning to make a player that young one of the best paid players in the world already, where there isn't much more to aim for financially, but I don't think he's about the money, I'm sure he's grown up comfortably, he makes plenty as is, and he seems to be a gym rat. I don't think a big contract will distract him, but nothing would surprise me either.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't like definitive statements, but Benzema has the best touch of all strikers. As far as Haaland into his later years, I think he's intelligent enough to adapt as he ages because he's extremely intelligent in his movement without depending on his speed. He also seems to take very good care of his body already, even if he's had some bad luck with little injuries here and there lately. Right now, the main thing I'm keeping an eye on is if those injuries are just bad luck and nothing more, or if the motor he operates on with his frame is going to create more injury issues down the line. It is a bit concerning to make a player that young one of the best paid players in the world already, where there isn't much more to aim for financially, but I don't think he's about the money, I'm sure he's grown up comfortably, he makes plenty as is, and he seems to be a gym rat. I don't think a big contract will distract him, but nothing would surprise me either.
I am watching quite regularly and to me Haaland very much depends on his strength and speed. Often he outruns defenses or just bullies himself through a couple of defenders.

I don't question his professionalism or intelligence. However, players who relie mostly on physical attributes are more often injured and don't agree well, in general.
Surely, Haaland could be an exception like Lewandowski, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic who all defy age. Still the are 3 out of dozens and all are living an extreme professional lifestyle and have great genetics.
Time will tell us if Haaland can be one of them but it's unlikely. And his wife frequent injuries here and there aren't s good sign either.

Andrew7582

Haaland's next move will be to a club that can win the CL, he's already done his developmental/project stint at Dortmund, his next move will be the big one. He's not going to come here to play under Solskjaer, he's not stupid. Maybe if we get a proper manager in around january and we show serious progress under the new manager then Haaland will consider us.

Wilt

Haaland's next move will be to a club that can win the CL, he's already done his developmental/project stint at Dortmund, his next move will be the big one. He's not going to come here to play under Solskjaer, he's not stupid. Maybe if we get a proper manager in around january and we show serious progress under the new manager then Haaland will consider us.
My thoughts too.

RooneyLegend

Yes but these are only his clubs stats at Dortmund and Red Bull, in a very open attacked team under good system at an easier league to score goals. Werner also scored 34 goals the season before he joined Chelsea where he couldn't score 1/3 as many in PL, Sancho has 20+ goals 20+ assists in his best seasons there too, he has 0 goals 0 assists in 11 games this season in PL. Not apple to apple comparison. Also Ronaldo scores far more goals in open play than Haaland for international football over past 2-3 years.
Immobile couldn't stop scoring in Serie A and went to the Bundesliga couldn't start scoring. Auba joined the Prem and had no problems scoring. KDB was handling his business in Germany, got to the Prem and continued in such fashion. Son is an even better player in the Prem than in the Bundesliga and so was Sane. There's been underwhelming players as well the same way even inter league transfers have gone pear shaped, remember Sanchez and Torres?

Point is it's all an individual thing and at this level it's much more important to fit into the team than which league your playing in. It's also a moot point because Haaland bangs em in the CL for fun and has outscored CR7 there too.

11 in 13 in international football for these couple of years in open play, 12 in 18 for Ronaldo in open play in the same period. No matter how you slice it, Haaland is simply putting up better numbers.

RooneyLegend

Dont underestimate the pull our club has.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
How much does Raiola want? 600k a week makes sense for a Ballon d or level player who's only 21 years old.
What?! That’s nonsense man.

$300k-$400k is honestly generous but I’ll give that. 600?! What type of wage do you think he’d expect to be on by time he’s turned 25?

LoneStar

They said the same shite all through last season too. If the likes or Ronaldo and Varane signing under Ole doesn't shut that argument down then nothing will.
How many clubs were in for Ronaldo and Varane? Ronaldo I'll agree, cause he could have easily gone to City. But then again, thats a player who's played for us and is a club legend for us. So that might have factored in.

I'm sure he'll consider us if we are in for him. But all things equal (meaning money), he would choose City or RM ahead of us.

UTD_Since_1978

I'm still thinking that our best chance of getting him is if Ole is still our manager due to their Norwegian connection as Ole helped him in his youth years.

Obviously if our board & owners show some balls & do a Chelsea & sack Ole before January & the new manager does a "Tuchel" & wins us the UCL then obviously he would be very interested in joining a club that are the current champions of Europe.

dinostar77

Anyone who thinks he would come here cause of Ole is deluded. Haaland wouldn't come here with the mess we are in. We might not even make CL qualification next season.

Offsideagain

He’s going to Madrid. Even if I’m wrong, he wouldn’t want to come to United. We have Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial, Rashford so one or two of them will be going if he did come. On present form, we wouldn’t attract a Championship CDM let alone a world class one.

Thebaldingbob

After that pitiful display against Liverpool, he'd be crazy to come to United.
Wouldn't win anything!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I dislike Raiola as well. That €75m fee was inserted so that his dad and agent can also get a slice of a fee when he is bought. Meaning hell already cost circa €100m+ at the very least. Hell still be a “bargain” in today’s market though.

Considering his age, he’ll probably sign a 5 year contract with his next club and run it down to leave on a free afterwards. He seems ambitious and I can see him wanting to play in all the top leagues like the EPL and La Liga.

On a random note: I think lingard’s dropped Raiola as his agent.
There won't be any bargain. It will cost a lot to acquire Haaland's service. The only difference is only 75M goes to BVB and the rest goes to the player and the agent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Reports he could be out for most of the season with a hip injury. Bad luck.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not true. There are rumors he might be not playing again this year but not the whole season.
Wow, either way that's pretty serious. I thought it was initially reported as a couple of weeks thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not true. There are rumors he might be not playing again this year but not the whole season.
I saw a story yesterday saying it might be the whole season, but perhaps it was a bad translation/misunderstanding.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Wow, either way that's pretty serious. I thought it was initially reported as a couple of weeks thing.
Not sure, if my translation is medically correct.
The German press is reporting Haaland ruptured a muscle bundle at his hip flexor.

LoneStar

I want Haaland only if Conte wants him too.
I think most managers in the world would be happy to have him. He is strong, quick and can score goals for fun.

But unless we pay over the odds, can't see him coming to us. Raiola will whore him out to the highest bidder though, so can see that happening. Otherwise, he would certainly prefer City or RM if they are in for him. PSG too if Mbappe leaves, can see them offering him crazy wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.