Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Whilst I agree that im also very conscious about Bundesliga players - I think Haaland was good at his other club/league before Dortmund and then is absolutely killing it in the CL and the national team too.
He is killing it in the CL, although he only scores 1 CL goal this season, mostly due to injuries.

International though, he has like 12 goals in 3 years, majority of his goals are scored against very very poor teams, so I am not sure "killing it" is the right term...

troylocker

Back on the bench tomorrow. Let's hope he's fully recovered.

Last edited:

troylocker

He is killing it in the CL, although he only scores 1 CL goal this season, mostly due to injuries.

International though, he has like 12 goals in 3 years, majority of his goals are scored against very very poor teams, so I am not sure "killing it" is the right term...
You say 12 goals in 3 years (26 months after his debut), I would say 12 goals and 1 assist in his last 12 matches (85 minutes/goal - 78 minutes/goal contribution)
Not too shabby that, is it?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You say 12 goals in 3 years (26 months after his debut), I would say 12 goals and 1 assist in his last 12 matches (85 minutes/goal - 78 minutes/goal contribution)
Not too shabby that, is it?
Its not very impressive though, if compare to other top strikers in the game.

19-21 International goals:

Ronaldo - 30 goals
Harry Kane - 28 goals
Lukaku - 23 goals
Lewandowski - 19 goals
Messi - 15 goals
Mbappe - 14 goals
Haaland - 12 goals

Still not bad. But "killing it" is over the top statement, as compared to his CL records:

19-21 CL goals

Lewandowksi - 29 goals
Haaland - 21 goals
Salah - 16 goals
Mbappe - 15 golas
Ronaldo - 14 goals
Messi - 11 goals
Neymar - 9 goals

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

Manchester United has now the same problem as Bayern Munich. An aging world class striker who is still world class for another 1 or 2 seasons.
Haaland won't join either club to be the second choice striker for a couple of years.
Just look at the situation of Nübel and Neuer and how his to move to Bayern panned out.

Haaland can choose any club of the world, do why would he take the risk to sit on the bench for a couple of seasons.
because he doesn’t sit on the bench. Period. He plays a big part in any team in world football.
If you buy him, you play him.

captaincantona

Ronaldo - 30 goals
Harry Kane - 28 goals
Lukaku - 23 goals
Lewandowski - 19 goals
Messi - 15 goals
Mbappe - 14 goals
Haaland - 12 goals

Still not bad. But "killing it" is over the top statement.
Ah come off it...only one you can compare him to in that list is Lewa with the rest playing in Significantly superior teams. Have you analysed who they have scored against? 4 of Mbappe’s were against Kazakhstan!

Great attackers in poorer international set ups are going to struggle...George Weah, George Best, Ryan Giggs, Georgie Hagi didn’t score loads...Dwight York’s comes to mind!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ah come off it...only one you can compare him to in that list is Lewa with the rest playing in Significantly superior teams. Have you analysed who they have scored against? 4 of Mbappe’s were against Kazakhstan!

Great attackers in poorer international set ups are going to struggle...George Weah, George Best, Ryan Giggs, Georgie Hagi didn’t score loads...Dwight York’s comes to mind!
Have you analysed who Haaland scored against too? 3 against Gibraltar (ranked 203th in the world), and that contributes to 1/4 of his total goals.

Kazakhstan ranked at 119th by the way, so its still far better team than Gibraltar!

captaincantona

Have you analyse who Haaland scored against too? 3 against Gibraltar (ranked 203th in the world), and that contributes to 1/4 of his total goals.
Point taken but you have to say the using international teams as a metric to assess quality is sketchy...

by reason, great strikers will play for at least very good clubs...

but they can’t help it if their National team is just not in the same ballpark. Plus the better the national team the more games they might play in a sample period that involves a tournament? Is that the case with Lukaku and Mbappe and Kane and Ronaldo? All their national teams did well in the Euros.

I would take Haaland over all of those lads on the list.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Point taken but you have to say the using international teams as a metric to assess quality is sketchy...

by reason, great strikers will play for at least very good clubs...

but they can’t help it if their National team is just not in the same ballpark. Plus the better the national team the more games they might play in a sample period that involves a tournament? Is that the case with Lukaku and Mbappe and Kane and Ronaldo?
Its not my intention to compare their international stats directly, but someone mentioned earlier he is killing it for international stage, which isn't true at any stretch. I am just trying to put things back to perspective...

captaincantona

Its not my intention to compare their international stats directly, but someone mentioned earlier he is killing it for international stage, which isn't true at any stretch. I am just trying to put things back to perspective...
Apologies...didn’t see that. Yeah he is far from killing it on the international stage.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Ronaldo - 30 goals
Harry Kane - 28 goals
Lukaku - 23 goals
Lewandowski - 19 goals
Messi - 15 goals
Mbappe - 14 goals
Haaland - 12 goals
This is the worst use of 'stats' I've ever seen.

He played 2 games in 2019, one from the bench.
He played 5 games in September and October 2020. Missed the November games because of covid restrictions.
He played 8 games in 2021. Missed October and November through injuries.

You're comparing him to players who played the entire 2019 (including Nations League finals), 2020 and 2021 (including Euros).

He has 12 goals in 15 games for a rubbish national team which is world class no matter how you look at it.

Kane as an example has played 36(!) games in the period you're using. That's 21 more games than Haaland. And for some reason you deem this to be a fair comparison.

Bore off with this. You're not putting anything into 'perspective' with your misuse of stats.

captaincantona

He played 5 games in September and October 2020. Missed the November games because of covid restrictions.

You're comparing him to players who played the entire 2019 (including Nations League finals), 2020 and 2021 (including Euros).

He has 12 goals in 15 games for a rubbish national team which is world class no matter how you look at it.

Kane as an example has played 36(!) games in the period you're using. That's 21 more games than Haaland. And for some reason you deem this to be a fair comparison.

Bore off with this. You're not putting anything into 'perspective' with your misuse of stats.
Yeah but if you watch him for Norway...which I have to say I have seen one or two matches, it’s fair to say he is not looking unplayable and there are much more important players in that Norway side.

I agree that the stats don’t automatically mean he is not setting the world alight but similarly they don’t prove that he is either. I think he is wonderful...he just hasn’t shown it at international level...which is excusable.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Just take it easy, he is not killing it for international games, thats all I am trying to say.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He absolutely destroyed Stefan de Vrij, made him look slower than Daley Blind and outpaced VVD several times.
Could've actually near single handedly beaten Holland if he didnt hit the post (game ended in a draw)

I don't watch a lot of Norway, but there's more to international performances than just goals. He could be killing it for them.

12 goals in 15 matches. That is very good numbers for the Norwegian national team. It's not easy being the striker for the national team, because they are pretty useless.
His average is way higher than our biggest stars, even if they played at a time when the national team actually was good. Solskjær stoppet at 23 goals in 67 games, Carew 24 in 91 Tore Andre Flo 23 in 76.

If he keeps this goal ratio up, he'll pass Norways all time top scorer, (33 goals, back in the 1920-30s), in his mid twenties.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
12 goals in 15 matches. That is very good numbers for the Norwegian national team. It's not easy being the striker for the national team, because they are pretty useless.
His average is way higher than our biggest stars, even if they played at a time when the national team actually was good. Solskjær stoppet at 23 goals in 67 games, Carew 24 in 91 Tore Andre Flo 23 in 76.

If he keeps this goal ratio up, he'll pass Norways all time top scorer, (33 goals, back in the 1920-30s), in his mid twenties.
I didn't say its bad, but its like 4 goals in 5 games per year over the past 3 years, against mostly very poor opponents. Its really nothing special there, and definitely not "killing it" at international stage yet.

That's all the opponents he has scored against in the past 3 years so far:

Gibraltar - 3 goals (rank 203)
Romania - 3 goals (rank 44)
N. Ireland - 2 goals (rank 54)
Netherland - 1 goal (rank 10)
Austria - 1 goal (rank 30)
Latvia - 1 goal (rank 134)
Luxembourg - 1 goal (rank 93)

Basically he only managed to score more than 1 goal against very weak opponents. It still a decent return in average, but nothing outstanding.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I wonder if the hiring of Rangnick will ease the transfer of Haaland -- from RB Salzberg to Dortmund -- both clubs having similar playing styles either developed or influenced by Rangnick.

Haaland playing under a Pep philosophy would be too foreign for him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I wonder if the hiring of Rangnick will ease the transfer of Haaland -- from RB Salzberg to Dortmund -- both clubs having similar playing styles either developed or influenced by Rangnick.

Haaland playing under a Pep philosophy would be too foreign for him.
We really have no way of actually knowing that. I get his style of play, but we also don't know how adaptable he is to different systems. He has limitations in his game, but he's also very young and I would 100% take the risk if I was City (Pep won't be there for much longer anyways) to see if he could adapt, I think you'd get a ton of goals regardless of whether he fits their system or not.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's scored 12 goals in his last 13 int games, what's the man supposed to do? Score 30 in 12?
Again, I am not saying he is bad, but he is not killing it, both in terms of numbers and quality of opponents he scored against.

He average only score around 4 goals per year, against the likes of Gibraltar, Latvia, Romania etc. He is surely a great young striker with good ratio though. But for his performance/output so far at international stage, he is not really outstanding if compare to other elite goalscorer. But nothing wrong with that really, he is still young and he is playing for weaker nation, so its acceptable.

Last edited:

wolvored

I can't see him coming here unless we make great strides under Ralph. By that I mean winning a major trophy. Seeing as we are out of the title race, this would mean Ch Lge. His first choice has always been RM, but has said he likes the Premier. I think City would be the most attractive club at this time as they need a striker, but wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea went for him even Liverpool as well.

Again, I am not saying he is bad, but he is not killing it, both in terms of numbers and quality of opponents he scored against.

He average only score around 4 goals per year, against the likes of Gibraltar, Latvia, Romania etc. He is surely a great young striker with good ratio though. But for his performance/output so far at international stage, he is not really outstanding if compare to other elite goalscorer. But nothing wrong with that really, he is still young and he is playing for weaker nation, so its acceptable.
4 goals per year, you say. Making his numbers sound weaker than they are.
He made his international debut autumn 2019, so he has only played for the NL-team for two years. He didnt score in the 80 minutes he played in 2019. In 2020 he scored 6 goals in 5 matches, and in 2021 he scored 6 in 8 matches. Average scoring every 81 minutes for the NL team.

Compared to the other worlds great strikers. Goals per Match for NL team;

Benzema 0,37
Mbappe 0,45
Lewandowski 0,57
Ronaldo 0,62
Lukaku 0,67
Kane 0,7
Haaland 0,8

Sure, there have been some shitty opponents, but all NL teams play those small nations. And while those other guys above play on great NL teams (expect Lewa) that dominates games, and create a lot of chances, Haaland has the drawback of playing for a usually useless Norway.

Whether or not he is "killing it", i don't know, but he has done vey, very well so far in his two years on the NL-team.

captaincantona

4 goals per year, you say. Making his numbers sound weaker than they are.
He made his international debut autumn 2019, so he has only played for the NL-team for two years. He didnt score in the 80 minutes he played in 2019. In 2020 he scored 6 goals in 5 matches, and in 2021 he scored 6 in 8 matches. Average scoring every 81 minutes for the NL team.

Compared to the other worlds great strikers. Goals per Match for NL team;

Benzema 0,37
Mbappe 0,45
Lewandowski 0,57
Ronaldo 0,62
Lukaku 0,67
Kane 0,7
Haaland 0,8

Sure, there have been some shitty opponents, but all NL teams play those small nations. And while those other guys above play on great NL teams (expect Lewa) that dominates games, and create a lot of chances, Haaland has the drawback of playing for a usually useless Norway.

Whether or not he is "killing it", i don't know, but he has done vey, very well so far in his two years on the NL-team.
Stop quoting stats...talk about what you have seen...his performances...I have seen about 6 or seven Norway games in which he has played...imo he is not looking as formidable at international level ... forget goals as the only metric. If you have watched him he doesnt seem to be an integral part of Norway’s jigsaw and his profile in word football suggests he would be. He is doing amazing for a 19 year old...but he isn’t just any 19 year old...he is being quoted as being worth €150 million...therefore one would expect him to be smashing it at international level and he isn’t...that may have to do with the way Norway play not being concerned with attacking first etc.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

New reports repeating Real is his no.1 choice so even if he joins a PL club before he'll probably push for Real in 2 years when Benzema retires.

Eriku

Stop quoting stats...talk about what you have seen...his performances...I have seen about 6 or seven Norway games in which he has played...imo he is not looking as formidable at international level ... forget goals as the only metric. If you have watched him he doesnt seem to be an integral part of Norway’s jigsaw and his profile in word football suggests he would be. He is doing amazing for a 19 year old...but he isn’t just any 19 year old...he is being quoted as being worth €150 million...therefore one would expect him to be smashing it at international level and he isn’t...that may have to do with the way Norway play not being concerned with attacking first etc.
Would have to agree. I watch all of Norway’s matches, and to say Haaland is killing it is being a bit charitable, IMO. Even if he has had a few good matches, like when he bullied Holland.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
New reports repeating Real is his no.1 choice so even if he joins a PL club before he'll probably push for Real in 2 years when Benzema retires.
And who is the source of this news?

captaincantona

Would have to agree. I watch all of Norway’s matches, and to say Haaland is killing it is being a bit charitable, IMO. Even if he has had a few good matches, like when he bullied Holland.
He is still a beast and I would have him here in a heartbeat but it’s not uncommon for great players to be less impactful at international level just due to the type of football their National team has to play.

Cloud7

Regardless of where he ends up in the next year or two he's going to be a Madrid player at some point in time

Hoof the ball

He is still a beast and I would have him here in a heartbeat but it’s not uncommon for great players to be less impactful at international level just due to the type of football their National team has to play.
Would you then agree that external factors redress the argument as to what constitutes killing it?

The worser the team and tactical favourability for the striker the more qualitative each goal is, and thus, perhaps 12 in 15 is killing it?

Norway have played some poor teams, but they're ranked 44 themselves, and four of those teams are either higher than them or around their ranking level.

Anyhow, switch X player out for Haaland and I'm likewise convinced we'd not be seeing a drastically different output. Maybe.

Eriku

Absolutely. And as someone (Samid?) already pointed out, he’ll breeze into history as the all-time Norwegian goalscorer, so he is being judged harshly based off what we know he can do. Would love to see him at United, but it seems like it would wreck our wage structure a fair bit.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Raoila. If we were to sign him it would just be a ticking clock as to when he'd upgrade to Madrid, punctuated by quarterly disruptive comments about dreams, ambition, kit color and thoughts on managers he'd love to work with.

Just not worth it for me.

Dve

I see there is some story out there claiming United are now having increased hopes that we´ll sign Haaland with RR is at charge. How that sums up, is beyond me, when RR will be gone next summer anyway.

In contrary, I belive our chances of getting Haaland have dramatically decreased after Ole´s departure. Sancho is still here, but in reality, Ole´s departure is a boost for City and Chelsea. My money on City.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In contrary, I belive our chances to get Haaland have dramatically decreased after Ole´s departure.
Just why? I know Ole and Haaland know each other, but how should that influence Haaland's decision? It did not turn his head around when he had to choose between Dortmund and United, why would Ole being there a positive factor for a future decision? Especially as it was obvious to the average fan ( and surely for Haaland too) that United would go nowhere under Solskjaer.

The Dane

Who knows what will trigger his decision but the people around him including his dad seems very obsessed with money, but I would think that having lived in England and with his father having played in England and with the PL being the most popular league in the world, he must have a desire to play here. I do however very much doubt that he will go for United if his dad has anything to say.

Dve

Just why? I know Ole and Haaland know each other, but how should that influence Haaland's decision? It did not turn his head around when he had to choose between Dortmund and United, why would Ole being there a positive factor for a future decision? Especially as it was obvious to the average fan ( and surely for Haaland too) that United would go nowhere under Solskjaer.
Because they have a personal relationship and Haaland may feel he owes Ole a bit. Now joining City, also includes not letting your mate down. It´s an easier choice, so if it´s just for 3 years, why not choose City. They need a striker. We´ve got Ronaldo, also next season. So no sentimentales anymore, expect that his father used to play for City..

Chief123

I actually get anxiety when I see Haaland threads because of the fear of him going to a team that we don’t want him to go to.

Just sign this absolute animal. Whatever it costs. Just get him.

bosskeano

I see there is some story out there claiming United are now having increased hopes that we´ll sign Haaland with RR is at charge. How that sums up, is beyond me, when RR will be gone next summer anyway.

In contrary, I belive our chances of getting Haaland have dramatically decreased after Ole´s departure. Sancho is still here, but in reality, Ole´s departure is a boost for City and Chelsea. My money on City.
B/c Rangnick was the one who brought Haaland to Salzburg

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not saying this because I'm a fan of him or anything -

But if Pochettino comes here then he will 99% sure go for him.

It's always been his type of striker at his previous clubs - all except PSG when he has much less choice with players like Neymar, Mbappe, Messi, Icardi and Di Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.