Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

What type of player is that? Really good ones? Should we look for second tier players only because we are scared that big, bad Real and Barca will come and take them if they get really good?

These names are just being thrown in for no reason, there is nothing to suggest his future is with either club, other than they, like other clubs, like good players.
No. There are plenty great players that don't dream to play for Madrid/Barca, and when you say "like other clubs" there is not a club that has the pulling power like Madrid besides maybe Bayern but only for German players.

Once they get interested in someone if the player has that dream is really hard to stop them, remember the whole De Gea saga when at his higher point he was one fax away of leaving. Pogba at the moment is another example, always with the speculation. In the past it was Beckham and Cristiano.

My problem with that is that I like to think we are not a stepping club where you develop and then feck off. I like players that think they're already at, if not the biggest, one of the biggest clubs in the world and don't have any desire to leave "for a bigger club".

wolvored

No. There are plenty great players that don't dream to play for Madrid/Barca, and when you say "like other clubs" there is not a club that has the pulling power like Madrid besides maybe Bayern but only for German players.

Once they get interested in someone if the player has that dream is really hard to stop them, remember the whole De Gea saga when at his higher point he was one fax away of leaving. Pogba at the moment is another example, always with the speculation. In the past it was Beckham and Cristiano.

My problem with that is that I like to think we are not a stepping club where you develop and then feck off. I like players that think they're already at, if not the biggest, one of the biggest clubs in the world and don't have any desire to leave "for a bigger club".
Yes agree with that. We should be the end of the line for players to come here to win trophies, not for the big payout. We seem to have learned from this in the last couple of windows. If we are successful can see Bruno being a WC player who will stay here. We need more like him and less of the players who either come here end of their career or think of us as a stepping stone.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

And Haaland fits into this category of player you speak of because....? Because he’s very good? Because he’s ‘of Latino descent?’ Or because his father/idol player for one of them?

Unless I’ve missed something in the news, this concern seems to be based off the fact that he’s very good - so good that Real or Barca may want him one day. If that’s an exclusion criteria then we may as well cede competition to them from now.

SAFMUTD

And Haaland fits into this category of player you speak of because....? Because he’s very good? Because he’s ‘of Latino descent?’ Or because his father/idol player for one of them?

Unless I’ve missed something in the news, this concern seems to be based off the fact that he’s very good - so good that Real or Barca may want him one day. If that’s an exclusion criteria then we may as well cede competition to them from now.
It's just an impression, it's hard to say if a player has that in his mind or not unless he has publicity stated it. But the club can figure it out by talking to him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's just an impression, it's hard to say if a player has that in his mind or not unless he has publicity stated it. But the club can figure it out by talking to him.
I agree. It was just that you had said that he will eventually push for a move to Madrid. And my suspicion is that theory is based upon the fact that he is likely to be one of the world’s best. I’m just against the notion that we should be wary of signing players who could be the best ‘because Madrid’. If the aim is to sign players that Real and Barca will not want then we’ll be chasing them forever.

AFC NimbleThumb

I agree. It was just that you had said that he will eventually push for a move to Madrid. And my suspicion is that theory is based upon the fact that he is likely to be one of the world’s best. I’m just against the notion that we should be wary of signing players who could be the best ‘because Madrid’. If the aim is to sign players that Real and Barca will not want then we’ll be chasing them forever.
This post needs pinning.

You don’t no buy players based on their future potential to succeed.

A player not wanting to spend their entire career at United isn’t a sign of disrespect to the club; how can someone in their young 20s be expected to know where he’ll want to be playing in 5-7 years.

Ronaldo leaving really fecked with people’s bubble that United are the only club in the world.

Brad2020

I would really like to see Haaland at United, but with recent reports that Chelsea is willing to break the bank for him this summer, and Man City's pursuit (the two riches owners in the Premier League) ...I don't hold out much hope.

Abramovich is almost like a Sultan. He simply claps his hands and the player he wants on the market appears in his club, now if only the Glazer's could do that.

Magz

Haaland looked really frustrated with his teammates in today's Dortmund match. Imagine having one of the world's best strikers and not involve him in the game.

patty123

I would really like to see Haaland at United, but with recent reports that Chelsea is willing to break the bank for him this summer, and Man City's pursuit (the two riches owners in the Premier League) ...I don't hold out much hope.

Abramovich is almost like a Sultan. He simply claps his hands and the player he wants on the market appears in his club, now if only the Glazer's could do that.

City really, as they might be mega rich owners there, but they dont seem to go over the 70 mark and as for that nonsense you sprout about red rom, guess his "clap" was having a day off when he wanted Rio, Rooney, Gerrard, Lukaku , Joaquin, Shaw to name but a few that snubbed his "clap"

croadyman

City really, as they might be mega rich owners there, but they dont seem to go over the 70 mark and as for that nonsense you sprout about red rom, guess his "clap" was having a day off when he wanted Rio, Rooney, Gerrard, Lukaku , Joaquin, Shaw to name but a few that snubbed his "clap"
Yeah in some ways a higher price is better for us because it generally puts City off going for players, like you said anything over £65m and they generally walk away from the deal and also talk they don't like dealing with Mino either

Brad2020

City has outspent United overall since at least 2015, and Abramovich pretty much bought a team in the last transfer window and is looking to splash more cash(Declan Rice, Haaland ect)

I do not like these teams, my concern is that United will continue to fade from being number 1 under the ownership and control of Woodward and the Glazers.

In particular, I am left scratching my head as to why Ed Woodward is still in charge of things, especially when you compare City to United, realistically if you were Haaland, where would you want to go?

Denis' cuff

Real/Barca just been having their place in the sun. It’ll pass. They have both been enjoying advantages United can only dream about that the ABU mob would never permit similar... How long was it before Barca even won a CL? and Real have spent long years out of the elite until relatively recently. Cycles. United are easily as big, without enjoying their advantages. No problem for me with Haarland on that score . More bothered about terms and leeches and even then, I think we might be smartening up if the Sancho biz is anything to go by. We didn’t play it perfectly but signs were that we are not being mugged every time. Obvs, slob/cnut/agent is a deterrent but I can’t believe his old fella wouldn’t have his best interests at heart, beyond the $$$$$$$$...

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Really the only footballer in world football it's currently worth breaking the bank for.

They're as so few top-quality strikers and the number that is closer to 20 than 30 is basically Haaland and that it. Would be an incredible signing, though I suspect he probably the only footballer who could actually create a bidding war in the current pandemic stricken financial situation.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Our only hope is Haaland will look at who Chelsea already have and wonder if he'd be picked regularly. I'm guessing City are more dangerous to us given then Aguero is coming to the end of his time. We have to pretty much offer Haaland (and Dortmund) whatever they ask for - which Woodward won't

Cloud7

Yes agree with that. We should be the end of the line for players to come here to win trophies, not for the big payout. We seem to have learned from this in the last couple of windows. If we are successful can see Bruno being a WC player who will stay here. We need more like him and less of the players who either come here end of their career or think of us as a stepping stone.
There is absolutely nothing to indicate Bruno is any more likely to spend the rest of his career here than Haaland, Graelish, Sancho, Camavinga, Mbappe or any other top tier player that we can sign.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Our only hope is Haaland will look at who Chelsea already have and wonder if he'd be picked regularly. I'm guessing City are more dangerous to us given then Aguero is coming to the end of his time. We have to pretty much offer Haaland (and Dortmund) whatever they ask for - which Woodward won't
Unless he has some sort of love of City due to his dad, don’t see why he’d pick them over us. Off the top of my head, nobody has ever picked them over us - we are a far bigger and more prestigious club, and on the actual grass, there’s barely anything between us at the moment. We will not be beaten on salary either. People on the caf love to talk about us like we’re Wolverhampton Wanderers or something (not saying you).

And Haaland will certainly be picked at Chelsea. Unless of course, he turns out to be rubbish for them, then he won’t - which is how it should work at any club he goes to.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You don’t know Bruno’s intentions. He was at Sporting, it was an easy decision for him to join us at the time. This whole idea of a ‘stepping stone’ will always exist while there is a ‘next step’ in football after United. Any ambitious player wants to play at the top, and our fans should either stop getting so emotional about that, or simply recuse themselves from wanting the best players. Otherwise it is a two-way street - if we are at the top of the game, top players will not agitate for moves to other clubs. If we are not, then they will so long as they themselves can attract such options. Bruno included.

Fans identify with players like McTomminay for example as he’s ‘one of us’ - but players are typically loyal to their options. If Scott left us today, he’d be going to a midtable club. As a result, it’s easy for him to do interviews about how he would sign contracts at United without fuss. Of course he would! When your options is a team fighting to win the CL and a team who can barely get in it - the conversation is different. I suspect even Rashford will be gone by 26 if we finished 6th every year.

Judas

Open to offers
Utd fans should want the very best talent in the world, it's pathetic and weird that what 12 years on some are still scarred by a bloke leaving us for another club. Yes some players will sign for us and not stay their entire careers, that's football.

dinostar77

Really the only footballer in world football it's currently worth breaking the bank for.

They're as so few top-quality strikers and the number that is closer to 20 than 30 is basically Haaland and that it. Would be an incredible signing, though I suspect he probably the only footballer who could actually create a bidding war in the current pandemic stricken financial situation.
Kylian Mbappe says hello (18 months left on his contract and hes not signing an extension at PSG).

RUCK4444

Utd fans should want the very best talent in the world, it's pathetic and weird that what 12 years on some are still scarred by a bloke leaving us for another club. Yes some players will sign for us and not stay their entire careers, that's football.
For what it’s worth I don’t think he would be desperate for a Spanish move further down the line.

The PL is the most followed league in his home country isn’t it. I think he will want to be the top dog in the PL and that appeals the most.

It would to me if I were in his shoes to be honest, but I suppose none of us know his plans. Just think he will spend most of his prime in the PL.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think his Dad would want him to come to United, given that he’s a Leeds fan and the Roy Keane business.

macheda14

City has outspent United overall since at least 2015, and Abramovich pretty much bought a team in the last transfer window and is looking to splash more cash(Declan Rice, Haaland ect)

I do not like these teams, my concern is that United will continue to fade from being number 1 under the ownership and control of Woodward and the Glazers.

In particular, I am left scratching my head as to why Ed Woodward is still in charge of things, especially when you compare City to United, realistically if you were Haaland, where would you want to go?
City have outspent us, but we still dwarf them in individual transfers. We have more of a history of paying 70 million than they do. Chelsea did just spend a lot, but if we were to go for the same player that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d succeed - Lukaku being the most recent example of that. The one thing you can’t really level at our ownership is them not spending money. They do spend money, we just have a yearly budget. If Haaland is in our plans we won’t be put off by a bidding war. City wanted Maguire, so we spent the money.

If last summer someone else was going for Sancho we would have spent the money, we react to the market valuations.

I don’t think his Dad would want him to come to United, given that he’s a Leeds fan and the Roy Keane business.
His dad isn't 13 years old.
His dad will focus on development, finding a club with an attacking playing style that fits Erling and will give him lots of goal scoring opportunities, they will probably want him to start winning some titles, and they will be looking for the right manager- someone they trust can bring both titles and positive development (on and off the pitch) for Erling. And money will always be a part of it, though I don't think it's their main focus.

That Roy Keane made a terrible foul on Alf-Inge (that did not end Alfies career), 20 years ago, will mean absolutely nothing when they diced what the next step in Erlings career will be.

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

I'd be very, very surprised if he ends up at Chelsea. I'd be very, very unsurprised if he ends up at Man City.

I obviously hope he'll choose us when time comes, but I think everything is perfectly aligned for him to go to City. Unfortunately.

davidmichael

Real and Barca are skint which is why Real after Alaba and Barca are chasing Depay, Wilnajdum, Garcia and Aguero as every one of those players are available on a free in the summer and Barca have even publicly said Messi will have to take a pay cut to sign a new new contract whilst Real are waiting for Mbappe once they do get big money again.

Chelsea right now are struggling to keep pace with the top four and don’t look like they’ll get a Champions League spot and after spending as much as they did in the summer they won’t be able to spend big without a top four place.

Either way though I think Dortmund keep Haaland until his release clause kicks in to place in 2022 as they’ll sell Sancho this summer and selling both in the same summer will see teams get as much money as possible from Dortmund for replacements as teams will know Dortmund will have £150-£175 million knocking about.

Dortmund will also run the risk of losing a Champions League place by selling both as there’s no saying the replacements will hit the ground running and almost certainly won’t be on the same level so RB Leipzig, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg and Monchengladbach could easily all surpass them for the top four.

I think when the time comes it’ll be us, Bayern, City and depending on Mbappe’s status in 2022 then also PSG that’ll be the front runners for Haaland when he leaves.

dinostar77

I'd be hard for a week if we signed KM.
Mbappe is an interesting situation. Under normal circumstances he'd be nailed for a move to Madrid or Barcelona. However i would hope his advisors would advise him properly and avoid the Spainish giants for awhile. Apart from the financial issues both teams need a rebuild of their spine. Easier said than done. Also if you are the alledged hier apparent to Messi/Ronaldo surely you go somewhere you can set you own records and not have to be compared to the records set by those two at Madrid and Barcelona.

Maybe he will sign a short extension and stay at PSG. If i were PSG i would try to sign Messi this summer, knowing that Mbappe would probably stay then for another season or two to play and learn from Messi.

I cant see PSG letting him leave for a free in summer of 2022 and if Madrid cant must up the funds for a new world record transfer then his options are limited. Stay at PSG or go to the PL. Only three clubs in the PL could pay his wages without snashing thier own wage structure: Utd, City and Chelsea. Yet somehow i cant see him at any of them.

Somehow Perez will make this transfer to Madrid happen this summer.

RedCurry

Do we really believe that Man City will be able to afford Haaland and Messi in the same window or even consecutive windows? As far as I know, Messi has all but made up his mind to leave Barca at the end of the season and City seems to be his only destination.

Brad2020

City have outspent us, but we still dwarf them in individual transfers. We have more of a history of paying 70 million than they do. Chelsea did just spend a lot, but if we were to go for the same player that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d succeed - Lukaku being the most recent example of that. The one thing you can’t really level at our ownership is them not spending money. They do spend money, we just have a yearly budget. If Haaland is in our plans we won’t be put off by a bidding war. City wanted Maguire, so we spent the money.

If last summer someone else was going for Sancho we would have spent the money, we react to the market valuations.
Well I hope your right, I will cut the Glazer's some slack in that regard....though I find it mindboggling that they haven't removed Ed Woodward from his position...that I just don't get.

That is a good point. Chelsea has a lot of fire power up front, whereas United he could walk in and be assured the starting 11 with little competition, (Cavani aside)

Yes, city is the one that worries me to. Aguero is getting long in the tooth, and City is just not the same team without him fit. Haaland, and De Bruyne would be a lethal combination with the wingers they have.

Skåre Willoch

Do we really believe that Man City will be able to afford Haaland and Messi in the same window or even consecutive windows? As far as I know, Messi has all but made up his mind to leave Barca at the end of the season and City seems to be his only destination.
Yes.

FFP is dead in the water, and if it's one thing City does have, it's money. No transfer fee, and I think Messi will take a pay cut anyway. That doesn't mean he won't be the best paid player in the league - by quite some distance even - but I think they can afford it.

It would be the final blow to any kind of financial jurisdiction, though.

mav_9me

Ummm yeah.

Messi this summer.

Followed by Haaland next summer with his release clause.

Coops73

Also I was listening to the Ornstein and Chapman podcast and one of the journalists on there said Pep had a very bad relationship with Raiola from when they clashed over Zlatan at Barca, if he doesn’t want to deal with Raiola I really don’t see the city hierarchy overruling him.

dinostar77

PSG arent out of the running for Messi. Gotta remember that City and PSG are just proxies for Abu Dhabi and Qatar. As FFP is all but dead they can both offer Messi incredible terms. The city deal last summer was circa £700mil over five years. 3 at City and 2 at MLS team.

Leonardo said recently Messi was no1 target this summer. You can see the attraction for Messi. Paris is closer to Barcelona. He gets to play with his mate Neymar and Mbappe. Argentine coach in Poch. Will win the league every season, guarenteed CL every season and Qatar are hellbent on winning the CL.

City can offer, guardiola and a more competitive league. Cant guarentee CL every season as league is so competitive. Manchester is further away from Barcelona. I can see the appeal of PSG to Messi.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Kylian Mbappe says hello (18 months left on his contract and hes not signing an extension at PSG).
Personly think there are players out there who are comparable to Mbappe, young pacey attackers who can play along the line of a front 3 are dime a dozen. maybe not quite Mbappe's level, but players around his age with a similar skill set.

I don't think there is anyone in a similar age bracket with Haaland's skill set.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Real and Barca are skint which is why Real after Alaba and Barca are chasing Depay, Wilnajdum, Garcia and Aguero as every one of those players are available on a free in the summer and Barca have even publicly said Messi will have to take a pay cut to sign a new new contract whilst Real are waiting for Mbappe once they do get big money again.

Chelsea right now are struggling to keep pace with the top four and don’t look like they’ll get a Champions League spot and after spending as much as they did in the summer they won’t be able to spend big without a top four place.

Either way though I think Dortmund keep Haaland until his release clause kicks in to place in 2022 as they’ll sell Sancho this summer and selling both in the same summer will see teams get as much money as possible from Dortmund for replacements as teams will know Dortmund will have £150-£175 million knocking about.

Dortmund will also run the risk of losing a Champions League place by selling both as there’s no saying the replacements will hit the ground running and almost certainly won’t be on the same level so RB Leipzig, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg and Monchengladbach could easily all surpass them for the top four.

I think when the time comes it’ll be us, Bayern, City and depending on Mbappe’s status in 2022 then also PSG that’ll be the front runners for Haaland when he leaves.
Real's financial situation is much, much better than Barca. They have been much more prudent with the wage bill and they also have a bunch of young players with significant value that are out of favor (Jovic, Ceballos, Odegaard, Odriozola, Rodrygo, etc) and so it should be easy to sell a few ofthem to finance other expenditures. Barca, in contrast, have a bloated wage bill and very few player with sale value due to their age and high wages.

I don't know if they can pull it off but I'm pretty sure Real's plan is to go for Camavinga (already essentially agreed) and Mbappe this summer, then Haaland in summer 2022.

spaceboyRSA

I think we’ll focus on Sancho thus losing out on Haaland if he decides to leave this summer, no way we can collect funds to acquire both. Which is a shame because I’d focus on Haaland and Graelish before Sancho.
I doubt Dortmund will let both go in one window. If we get Sancho it means Haaland is staying another year.

dinostar77

Personly think there are players out there who are comparable to Mbappe, young pacey attackers who can play along the line of a front 3 are dime a dozen. maybe not quite Mbappe's level, but players around his age with a similar skill set.

I don't think there is anyone in a similar age bracket with Haaland's skill set.
I havent seen haaland play but will take your word for it. On a sidenote who do you think is comparible to mbappe's key aspects minus his level of play.

davidmichael

Real's financial situation is much, much better than Barca. They have been much more prudent with the wage bill and they also have a bunch of young players with significant value that are out of favor (Jovic, Ceballos, Odegaard, Odriozola, Rodrygo, etc) and so it should be easy to sell a few ofthem to finance other expenditures. Barca, in contrast, have a bloated wage bill and very few player with sale value due to their age and high wages.

I don't know if they can pull it off but I'm pretty sure Real's plan is to go for Camavinga (already essentially agreed) and Mbappe this summer, then Haaland in summer 2022.
Yes Real definitely have players they can move on but the problem they have as seen with Bale is they pay massive wages so moving them on isn’t so easy, they seem to accept loans simply to get the players off the wage bill for a year.

They’re definitely prioritising Mbappe and Camavinga as their two major signings but I don’t think that’ll happen this coming summer as with no fans in the stadiums and La Liga not having anywhere near the money from TV rights that we have here in England they’re going to struggle signing players for big fees for at least a year too, Barca though are fecked financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.