Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherWolff

I believe that story is a bit outdated. Haaland chose Dortmund because he felt that would be better for his development, i.e. he would get into the team. At United, he would have had to compete with Martial who looked undroppable at the time.
Also. Ole wasn’t exactly sat In a safe spot at the time. One thing is what the manager lay out for you. Another what the next one does. He took the safe path for his development, and probably the best, even if Ole is still here and doing a fine job. But he is exactly what we need. No doubt about that

Dve

Also. Ole wasn’t exactly sat In a safe spot at the time. One thing is what the manager lay out for you. Another what the next one does. He took the safe path for his development, and probably the best, even if Ole is still here and doing a fine job. But he is exactly what we need. No doubt about that
And the natural next step. Summer of 2022, just wait for it.

Bwuk

I think we will sell Martial and go for either him or Sancho in the summer. Probably Sancho as it seems Haaland will be there till 2022.

RRCE

I believe that story is a bit outdated. Haaland chose Dortmund because he felt that would be better for his development, i.e. he would get into the team. At United, he would have had to compete with Martial who looked undroppable at the time.
I think that’s probably part of it, for sure. I‘m sure there were other factors, including United’s brutal form at the time, Ole’s potential lack of job security, and his agent’s hesitancy to place players with us. The United narrative, though, is that they walked away from a deal due to the release clause (and whatever other issues they felt they couldn‘t live with). My point is, I’m sure the player turned us down as opposed to us walking away.

Magz

I think we will sell Martial and go for either him or Sancho in the summer. Probably Sancho as it seems Haaland will be there till 2022.
I can't imagine Haaland staying till 2022 tbh, especially if Dortmund misses out on CL next season

Wilt

I think that’s probably part of it, for sure. I‘m sure there were other factors, including United’s brutal form at the time, Ole’s potential lack of job security, and his agent’s hesitancy to place players with us. The United narrative, though, is that they walked away from a deal due to the release clause (and whatever other issues they felt they couldn‘t live with). My point is, I’m sure the player turned us down as opposed to us walking away.
Could be something in that...

Think I read somewhere that according to Alf Inge, Erling chose Dortmund over Utd because the only person who believed in him at Utd was Ole (whose job at the time did not look secure), he also felt the Utd board were not so committed.

RRCE

Could be something in that...

Think I read somewhere that according to Alf Inge, Erling chose Dortmund over Utd because the only person who believed in him at Utd was Ole (whose job at the time did not look secure), he also felt the Utd board were not so committed.
If that’s true, heads should role. His talent and potential was obvious at the time. I’m not suggesting that it was obvious that he would score at the clip he has for Dortmund, but at the price bringing him in was an absolute no-brainer.

Wilt

If that’s true, heads should role. His talent and potential was obvious at the time. I’m not suggesting that it was obvious that he would score at the clip he has for Dortmund, but at the price bringing him in was an absolute no-brainer.
Agreed, all that bollocks about a release clause ....i.e if we had signed Haaland, surely come the time Utd are rich enough to fend off any other interest in him.

Halftrack

I think it was a bit of both. The club's refusal to include a release clause, combined with the questions around Ole's future and him not feeling like the club was all that keen on him meant a deal could never be reached. He wasn't willing to accept the offer that was on the table, and the club had no interest in bettering that offer.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
That would be the most sensible thing to do. I don't think we will do it though. If it was up to me I'd cash in on Pogba + Martial and get Haaland + Sancho.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If his potential as the best striker in the world was so ‘obvious’ - then not only Manchester United heads should roll, why didn’t every club that you would expect to be in for him in the summer try and sign him either?

Not every day has to be a slag the club day. We at least were clearly interested, and tried to do the deal. It isn’t about heads rolling, the decision of where to play is always down to a player.

Cathy Ferguson

Sell Pogba and Martial, buy Haaland, Sancho, Graelish. What could possibly go wrong?

Haaland is a generational talent and we need a striker so I would rather pay 120m for him than 80m for Sancho.

Crustanoid

I don’t think Ed has any understanding of what a United player is. I have no doubt Ole does, and would make his wishes abundantly clear. In relation to Halaand, he undoubtedly already has. I don’t buy the stories about the buyout clause being an insurmountable obstacle. Ed didn’t get the deal done and let Ole down.

Halaand is a special talent and a player we should be moving heaven and earth to bring in. I just don’t think Ed can pull it off.
That's the problem unfortunately, with Ed, and the club at large when it comes to recruitment.

Unfortunately Ole will have to do it the hard way. His success is in spite of the clowns that own and run the club, not because of them

Josh 76

Sell Pogba and Martial, buy Haaland, Sancho, Graelish. What could possibly go wrong?

Haaland is a generational talent and we need a striker so I would rather pay 120m for him than 80m for Sancho.
Yeah.
Ed should be able to do this by next week.

My point is, I’m sure the player turned us down as opposed to us walking away.
Of course he turned us down, just as he’d surely have turned down Juventus or Barca.
Dortmund, and that release clause was the perfect next step in his career. The deal was almost too good to be true.
Instead of ending up in a possible Mbappe situation, stuck at a club that may or may not be going places priced out and unable to move on (likely how Pogba has felt for a couple of year), Haaland can soon pick his club and pick his wage.

432JuanMata

Of course he turned us down, just as he’d surely have turned down Juventus or Barca.
Dortmund, and that release clause was the perfect next step in his career. The deal was almost too good to be true.
Instead of ending up in a possible Mbappe situation, stuck at a club that may or may not be going places priced out and unable to move on (likely how Pogba has felt for a couple of year), Haaland can soon pick his club and pick his wage.
I’m still convinced that he won’t come here. But what you said is spot on and I don’t understand how people don’t get it. Dortmund was the perfect and the right move for him, he was 19 tearing you the CL and Austrian league and the German league is the right step up for him with Dortmund’s record of improving and nurturing young players.

Hence why he signed with the release clause as if he kept up his record(which he has) all the big teams will come knocking and that would be the big club he will spend most of his peak years with. This is the reason I don’t think we will get him. Yes we have improved and are in a title race we still went out of the CL in the group stage and are a long way from challenging/winning that and he will want to play for a team that wins that

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's the problem unfortunately, with Ed, and the club at large when it comes to recruitment.

Unfortunately Ole will have to do it the hard way. His success is in spite of the clowns that own and run the club, not because of them
I doubt you have the foggiest what ‘the problem’ is or isn’t with Ed tbh, his job is conducted away from the spotlight and the overwhelming majority of details you will never be privy to.

Crustanoid

I doubt you have the foggiest what ‘the problem’ is or isn’t with Ed tbh, his job is conducted away from the spotlight and the overwhelming majority of details you will never be privy to.
Ok Ed, thanks for straightening that out

Edit: or not actually, you totally swerved that one

Magz

According to German Sport1 Dortmund will have to sell at least one player this summer of they fail to qualify for CL. I know people will go crazy for Sancho, but Haaland would be the better and smarter choice.

I hope to God Ole shares my opinion.

croadyman

According to German Sport1 Dortmund will have to sell at least one player this summer of they fail to qualify for CL. I know people will go crazy for Sancho, but Haaland would be the better and smarter choice.

Yeah much as we need a proper RW for balance it's an absolute no brainer between those two

croadyman

Most top players would be interested by us right now. What an exciting team to be a part of.
Yeah I know we have holes at RB (attacking), CB, CDM & RW but we have a young leader in Bruno and the old experienced head up front in Edi as well which would still look attractive to prospective signings

DanClancy

Sancho will definitely be sold this summer unless he signs a new contract, as for Haaland there's no way a player of his calibre is going to stay in Dortmund if they fail to make the CL.

The only way United would be buying both if is if Martial is sold.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Most top players would be interested by us right now. What an exciting team to be a part of.
Maybe it’s just my bias but I really do believe this might be true.

Squad harmony.
Great squad age with buckets of serious talent.
Hungry squad on the cusp of something, rather than peaked/burnt out/looking for new ideas.
Despite our debt (which is actually well managed), we are in one of the strongest positions financially right now with European rivals in real trouble.

I think players are going to be looking at us and thinking they can take us to the next level - winning trophies and agents will be looking at us as a club that can pay the bills.

troylocker

I believe they are good enough to get there in the end, but if BVB fails to get top 4 and grab a CL-spot this season, I'm pretty sure Haaland will leave this summer.

davidmichael

Sancho will definitely be sold this summer unless he signs a new contract, as for Haaland there's no way a player of his calibre is going to stay in Dortmund if they fail to make the CL.

The only way United would be buying both if is if Martial is sold.
We can only wish can’t we ? If Dortmund excepted £60 million plus Martial for Haaland and then £70 million for Sancho I’d be ecstatic.

Denis' cuff

doubt you’ve been paying attention over the past few years. There has been a bit of a pattern here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The only thing that worries me if we sign Haaland is consigning Greenwood to a career on the right wing. This combined with his agent issues make me sceptical, but what a player he is.

Offsideagain

Haaland would be a great signing but I fear City may snatch him from under our noses. Aquero is clearly fecked and is out of contract at the end of the season and Jesus is hot or cold. Only time will tell.

The only thing that worries me if we sign Haaland is consigning Greenwood to a career on the right wing. This combined with his agent issues make me sceptical, but what a player he is.
love Greenwood, but they are very different types of players, if Greenwood is good enough he will play. Competition is great.

Sanche7

Haaland would be a great signing but I fear City may snatch him from under our noses. Aquero is clearly fecked and is out of contract at the end of the season and Jesus is hot or cold. Only time will tell.
Haven't seen much of Haaland, but from what I've seen, I think he's best suited for counterattacking style of football than possession based football. Haaland is at his best when he's running at defenders. City signing him would be like Barca signing Griezmann or Coutinho or Dembele, great player but doesn't suit the system. But a player with his finishing ability can play in any system.

croadyman

Haven't seen much of Haaland, but from what I've seen, I think he's best suited for counterattacking style of football than possession based football. Haaland is at his best when he's running at defenders. City signing him would be like Barca signing Griezmann or Coutinho or Dembele, great player but doesn't suit the system. But a player with his finishing ability can play in any system.
Yeah he would definitely suit our counter attacking system like a glove but there is going to be serious competition when he becomes available so need to do all we can to ensure we are near the front of the queue

Sanche7

Yeah he would definitely suit our counter attacking system like a glove but there is going to be serious competition when he becomes available so need to do all we can to ensure we are near the front of the queue
Don't think there will be much competition, if you ask me. Real and Barca are broke. Bayern have Lewandowski. Liverpool can't afford him. That leaves us, PSG, City and Juve. I'm not sure about the financial situation of Juve, but I guess with Raiola connection, they could pull it off, but I doubt if Haaland would want to play in Italy or the French league for that matter. I can only see him coming to the PL as IIRC he has said he likes the PL. We also have Ole, who I'm sure will play a big role in influencing his decision. IMO it comes down to City or us (provided we are on an upwards trajectory) and I believe (hope) that Ole will be able to convince Haaland to join us

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don't think there will be much competition, if you ask me. Real and Barca are broke. Bayern have Lewandowski. Liverpool can't afford him. That leaves us, PSG, City and Juve. I'm not sure about the financial situation of Juve, but I guess with Raiola connection, they could pull it off, but I doubt if Haaland would want to play in Italy or the French league for that matter. I can only see him coming to the PL as IIRC he has said he likes the PL. We also have Ole, who I'm sure will play a big role in influencing his decision. IMO it comes down to City or us (provided we are on an upwards trajectory) and I believe (hope) that Ole will be able to convince Haaland to join us
Liverpool could definitely afford him.

seems like a sensible analysis.

I don’t see him at a City type player under Pep.

so do we pump in a £80-90m bid this summer to give them something to really think about before his release clause kicks in?

Status
Not open for further replies.