Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorXI

I hate that we couldn't get him the first time... seemed to be well placed with the Ole links...

Now even with that prick Raiola, have to say it's worth the risk to break the bank.

croadyman

I hate that we couldn't get him the first time... seemed to be well placed with the Ole links...

Now even with that prick Raiola, have to say it's worth the risk to break the bank.
Yeah definitely worth the risk but won't leave until next summer

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think he's only available to the truly elite clubs now. We're not in the bracket currently, even if we qualify for the CL.

Add in that disgusting pig being his agent and it makes it all the more unlikely.
Several of the so called truly elite clubs don't have a good relationship with the disgusting pig either. And most of those clubs will be feeling the economical aftermath of covid for at least a couple of seasons. Apart from the Manchester clubs and possibly Chelsea I don't see too many others being able to afford the whole package of transfer/agent fee + wages. Take into account that Pep and Raiola have had a personal beef going back several years, that's not the most likely destination for him either.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Who would you say is in that bracket currently?
City, PSG, Bayern. They're the CL challengers and the money clubs, in my opinion.

Barca are fecked. Liverpool, I don't think FSG is the type to spend the money required for Haaland. Chelsea? Just spunked a load on attackers. Can't see any Italian clubs competing for his signing. United, do we have the money?

I dunno about Real, do they have money issues? If not, you could probably throw them in for the prestige factor.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
City, PSG, Bayern. They're the CL challengers and the money clubs, in my opinion.

Barca are fecked. Liverpool, I don't think FSG is the type to spend the money required for Haaland. Chelsea? Just spunked a load on attackers. Can't see any Italian clubs competing for his signing. United, do we have the money?

I dunno about Real, do they have money issues? If not, you could probably throw them in for the prestige factor.
Money is our only chance of signing him. Well, maybe Ole.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah definitely worth the risk but won't leave until next summer
I think he will push for a move this summer if they miss out on CL. Dortmund was always just going to be a stepping stone. If they're not in the CL he'd be wasting his time there.

Not to mention Haaland didn't get a fair chance the half season he previously spent under Marco Rose at Salzburg. Doubt that's the manager he's most fond of.

NYAS

Thing is, we also need to take his career trajectory into consideration. I highly doubt he’d want to go to France or spend more of his career in Germany (also take into account Lewa has a few more years left and I don’t see Bayern paying what’s required and dealing with Mino).

Italians are fecked. Barca are fecked.

I’d agree that Real is still in the running if they can muster up the funds.

Liverpool seem to only pay big if they sell big. Arsenal and Spurs can’t afford him.

I was going to say it’d be between us, City, Chelsea and Real but @Samid reminded me that Pep and Mino hate each other; and after what they’ve said about each other I can’t see those two egos reconciling.

I think Ed is the type to put aside the Pogba nonsense from Mino for the sake of a signing like this. Of course it depends where we all are summer 2022 but as of now I’d say we have a decent chance in the race.

CM

Proof maybe?
Well there were similar reports regarding Reguilon last summer. I don't think it's too difficult to believe that the club don't want to sign someone who holds all the cards and can do as they please in a couple of seasons time.

It's not necessarily a case of us 'turning him down' either. If Haaland and/or Raiola stipulated they wanted that clause in place, we probably chose not to take our interest any further at that time.

Widow

He won't be joining us.

He will have his pick of Europe's top clubs and let's face it, we're not an attractive option atm.

City are after a striker.... Would hate to see it!

It does feel like a Ronaldo type transfer though, he would seriously have a massive impact.

croadyman

He won't be joining us.

He will have his pick of Europe's top clubs and let's face it, we're not an attractive option atm.

City are after a striker.... Would hate to see it!

It does feel like a Ronaldo type transfer though, he would seriously have a massive impact.
Yeah gonna be tough to win this race considering he has his pick of the best around europe

SprintTriathlon

March. Surprisingly Braut fires Raiola.
July. Signs for Manchester United.
Ole: - No, no, I did not excpect this. He is a World class player of course, I am very happy.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Thing is, we also need to take his career trajectory into consideration. I highly doubt he’d want to go to France or spend more of his career in Germany (also take into account Lewa has a few more years left and I don’t see Bayern paying what’s required and dealing with Mino).

Italians are fecked. Barca are fecked.

I’d agree that Real is still in the running if they can muster up the funds.

Liverpool seem to only pay big if they sell big. Arsenal and Spurs can’t afford him.

I was going to say it’d be between us, City, Chelsea and Real but @Samid reminded me that Pep and Mino hate each other; and after what they’ve said about each other I can’t see those two egos reconciling.

I think Ed is the type to put aside the Pogba nonsense from Mino for the sake of a signing like this. Of course it depends where we all are summer 2022 but as of now I’d say we have a decent chance in the race.
If he stays until summer 2022 nearly every big club will find the funds for that transfer fee, which really isn’t a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Even Barcelona, fecked as they are, will likely find a way and certainly clubs like Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern, and Juventus. He’ll simply have his choice of destinations.

If clubs in relative financial health like United and City want to find a way to put themselves in pole position, the way to do it is by offering ungodly sums to both BvB and the player this summer, which those other big clubs probably can’t do.

NYAS

If he stays until summer 2022 nearly every big club will find the funds for that transfer fee, which really isn’t a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Even Barcelona, fecked as they are, will likely find a way and certainly clubs like Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern, and Juventus. He’ll simply have his choice of destinations.

If clubs in relative financial health like United and City want to find a way to put themselves in pole position, the way to do it is by offering ungodly sums to both BvB and the player this summer, which those other big clubs probably can’t do.
It isn’t only going to be the transfer fee. It’s going to be his wages and Mino’s cut. That’s a lot of money.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Well there were similar reports regarding Reguilon last summer. I don't think it's too difficult to believe that the club don't want to sign someone who holds all the cards and can do as they please in a couple of seasons time.

It's not necessarily a case of us 'turning him down' either. If Haaland and/or Raiola stipulated they wanted that clause in place, we probably chose not to take our interest any further at that time.
OK, so let's say that clause was in place, so we didn't want to sign him because he could leave in 2 years? Why? Because we only want players that will be here for longer than that? And then we sign Cavani who couldn't be with us for more than two years even if he wanted. Both strikers.

Last edited:

croadyman

Yeah that is a very good point and something that Utd need to take into consideration, we would be stupid to assume that he is going to pick us over all the other clubs just because someone who played a significant part in his development is managing this club. Personally I think if we didn't have issues at CB, CDM & RW then we would be willing to spend big money on him this summer despite the current financial climate.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Chelsea or Real are favorites to sign him.

Absolutely incredible player. He is basically Lewandowski with a bit weaker dribbling for now, but more power.ful overall.

Looks like we have a really strong generation:

Haaland
Davies
Mbappe
Fati
Foden
Greenwood
Musiala
Moukoko
Sancho
Saka
Pedri
Hudson-Odoi

just to name some

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

I think Chelsea or Real are favorites to sign him.

Absolutely incredible player. He is basically Lewandowski with a bit weaker dribbling for now, but more power.ful overall.

Looks like we have a really strong generation:

Haaland
Davies
Mbappe
Fati
Davies
Foden
Greenwood
Musiala
Moukoko
Sancho
Saka
Pedri
Hudson-Odoi

just to name some
I wish we would play Greenwood as a striker so that he can develop in his natural position, seems like all of players on that list are?

CM

OK, so let's say that clause was in place, so we didn't want to sign him because he could leave in 2 years? Why? Because we only want players that will be here for longer than that? And then we sign Cavani who couldn't be with us for than two years even if he wanted. Both strikers.
Who's to say Cavani can't play here for more than two years? He's also signed on a free having played at the highest levels of the game.

Voluntarily signing up to lose a player for a set value by the time they're 21 or 22 just isn't very smart and doesn't send out great signals. Haaland had done well in the Champions League but was still a teenager playing in the Austrian league at the time, for a bit of context. Why would we bend over backwards to meet his demands?

From Haaland's perspective he was likely looking for a club who could promise regular first-team football too. Dortmund's MO is developing young players and selling them on, we couldn't even guarantee him first-team football when he was at Salzburg.

RUCK4444

He's signed a 5 year contract, next season he will be 20 years old one the best young players in the world, he needs to start playing in his natural position now.
Yeah totally agree. I’ve been concerned about the amount of time he’s been pushed out wide.

Things like positioning, hold up play, movement of a proper no 9 need to be learnt by playing in the actual position. You won’t learn that on the wing.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah that is a very good point and something that Utd need to take into consideration, we would be stupid to assume that he is going to pick us over all the other clubs just because someone who played a significant part in his development is managing this club. Personally I think if we didn't have issues at CB, CDM & RW then we would be willing to spend big money on him this summer despite the current financial climate.
With a player like Haaland I think there is a good argument for just throwing all the other positional priorities out the window and saying that if you have the chance to land him, you do whatever it takes, even if its the only transfer you make that summer and it leaves some other positions weaker than desirable in the short term. He could be a Top 5 player in the world for a decade.

I'm not sure, however, what it would really take to land him this summer, for United or another club. I think his and Raiola's plan all along has been to wait until 2022, have his pick of clubs, and also command the highest possible wage/signing on fee since clubs wouldn't be committing that much to the transfer fee. He'd have to really really like the situation (and the money) to move a year early.

UnofficialDevil

Who's to say Cavani can't play here for more than two years? He's also signed on a free having played at the highest levels of the game.

Voluntarily signing up to lose a player for a set value by the time they're 21 or 22 just isn't very smart and doesn't send out great signals. Haaland had done well in the Champions League but was still a teenager playing in the Austrian league at the time, for a bit of context. Why would we bend over backwards to meet his demands?

From Haaland's perspective he was likely looking for a club who could promise regular first-team football too. Dortmund's MO is developing young players and selling them on, we couldn't even guarantee him first-team football when he was at Salzburg.
Agree with most of that, but Cavani can't be here for more than two years he is 34 years old already.. And he is injury prone.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wish we would play Greenwood as a striker so that he can develop in his natural position, seems like all of players on that list are?
Yep.. don't understand why he doesn't get a chance as a striker.. Actually so annoying.

lex talionis

Erling is a beast of a CF. Naturally, United have no chance of landing him, but we can be in awe of his exploits over the next decade at Chelsea or maybe City. We shall see which it is.

Let's focus on developing Greenwood as CF the rest of this season. The Martial experiment at CF was a bust, but he could be a useful squad player for us.

croadyman

Erling is a beast of a CF. Naturally, United have no chance of landing him, but we can be in awe of his exploits over the next decade at Chelsea or maybe City. We shall see which it is.

Let's focus on developing Greenwood as CF the rest of this season. The Martial experiment at CF was a bust, but he could be a useful squad player for us.
Would like to think Mason will move to CF when we sort out that RW, no doubt he is a top talent but if there is opportunity to get Haaland then we shouldn't be worried about if having him had any knock on effect for Greenwood

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Personally, I think Greenwood would thrive with a player like Haaland. I don't think he's ready to be a CF, and I think he should look to occupy the wing and become an inside forward. He has the skills to carry the ball and penetrate the defense, he can work off Haaland and score plenty of goals. I don't know if he'd ever have the potential to become what Haaland currently is at CF, but I think he can be a monster inside forward of the future.

croadyman

Does anyone think we would genuinely move for him before the release clause activates, my gut feeling is no chance because you only have to see what we were saying last summer about not wanting to spend big money in COVID times

RRCE

Does anyone think we would genuinely move for him before the release clause activates, my gut feeling is no chance because you only have to see what we were saying last summer about not wanting to spend big money in COVID times
Zero chance, in my opinion. The owners would never sanction it. Look at the Sancho situation. You can agree or disagree with the decision, but United refused to meet the stated asking price. They undoubtedly did so, at least in part, based on their belief that the player would be available a year down the road for less money. With Halaand, I don’t think they’d be able to get past the fact that he’d be available in the relatively near future at a great price. They‘d rather lose out on the player than pay more than the buyout clause.

croadyman

Zero chance, in my opinion. The owners would never sanction it. Look at the Sancho situation. You can agree or disagree with the decision, but United refused to meet the stated asking price. They undoubtedly did so, at least in part, based on their belief that the player would be available a year down the road for less money. With Halaand, I don’t think they’d be able to get past the fact that he’d be available in the relatively near future at a great price. They‘d rather lose out on the player than pay more than the buyout clause.
Yeah I think that is the clubs mindset as well even though there are rumours of Chelsea making a move this summer

Water Melon

Solskjaer is our biggest pull in getting Haaland. Haaland loved working with Ole, and Ole did a tremendous job developing his skills. A skinny boy with poor finishing skills arrived at Molde. A monster with top class finishing left Molde two years later. If he signs for us, it's because Ole is the Manager.
If he does not sign, then Ole is not enough of a pull obviously. He already has some extra advantage as he coached Erling, wage wise we can match any other club, I guess. Let's see what happens. I doubt Haaland believes in Ole's ability to fight for top trophies.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
And the small matter of being a huge fecking club ffs.
Well yah, that's a given. Every team in the running for Haaland's services will be a big club. But if we're being honest, what have we won recently compared to the Madrids, Barcas, Citys and Liverpools? Our main differentiators compared to them will be money and a willingness to deal with Raiola. Plus, the Ole connection. Don't think what I'm stating is that egregious.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So why did he choose Dortmunt over us. And no I don't believe he wanted to come here but we didn't want him because of a release clause.
Their main focus was his continued development and because they felt he was not quite ready to make the move to a big club and they wanted to ensure he was a regular starter. The next move was a stepping stone, hence the release clause.

In hindsight it sounds silly because if he came here he would have been playing every game and im confident he would have handled the PL just fine

Bobcat

If he does not sign, then Ole is not enough of a pull obviously. He already has some extra advantage as he coached Erling, wage wise we can match any other club, I guess. Let's see what happens. I doubt Haaland believes in Ole's ability to fight for top trophies.
:lol: Ole is litterly the only advantage we have in this case. Besides him, he has zero reason to chose us over anyone else. But by all means, dont let that stop you from taking sly digs

lex talionis

Would like to think Mason will move to CF when we sort out that RW, no doubt he is a top talent but if there is opportunity to get Haaland then we shouldn't be worried about if having him had any knock on effect for Greenwood
If there truly were an opportunity to bring in Haaland the bank must broken to make it happen. But I just don’t see that happening.

We can easily imagine this:

LW: Rashford/Martial/James
CF: Greenwood/Cavani/Martial
RW: Sancho/Diallo/James

I don’t know enough about Pellistri to forecast a potential role for us, but I like what little I’ve seen of him.

But back to Greenwood, I’d like to see him get starts at CF this season that Martial would otherwise be getting. And Martial get some starts at LW when Rashford needs a rest.

Water Melon

:lol: Ole is litterly the only advantage we have in this case. Besides him, he has zero reason to chose us over anyone else. But by all means, dont let that stop you from taking sly digs
Ah those green smileys. Hope you like them too. Now, to improve your logic and reading comprehension: Ole already coached Erling. It is an advantage - fact. We can match any team wage-wise, fact. So, if Erling chooses City it will be because Pep and what he has achieved with City - fact. If he decides to go to Madrid, it will be because of Zidane's personality and his performance as a manager of Real Madrid, fact. Now enjoy your smileys :lol::lol::lol:

Bobcat

Ah those green smileys. Hope you like them too. Now, to improve your logic and reading comprehension: Ole already coached Erling. It is an advantage - fact. We can match any team wage-wise, fact. So, if Erling chooses City it will be because Pep and what he has achieved with City - fact. If he decides to go to Madrid, it will be because of Zidane's personality and his performance as a manager of Real Madrid, fact. Now enjoy your smileys :lol::lol::lol:
Ok fair enough, i misread your first paragraph. Apologies

Kostov

That third goal he scored, just look at him running, the guy would kill to get a chance to score a goal. Compared to Martial strolling around it's night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.