Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wittmann45

I think people can't put up with Raiola's crap right now because of the perception, rightly, that Pogba often talks about leaving while also not performing at a high level. Ronaldo constantly talked about "the future" and fans put up with his crap because he was the best player in the world. Raiola is much more palatable when his clients actually perform for the club they want away from.

Also, no doubt Raiola is a cancer for a club, but it is not like he is constantly doing this for every one of his clients. He has done this is the past, but I feel like Pogba's decisions are being reframed as Raiola's actions. Raiola is saying these things to the press at the worst possible times with Pogba's consent, not in spite of it

While Haaland has made it clear he plans to eventually leave Dortmund, and maybe it might get ugly when he wants to leave, so far, he seems far more professional than Pogba.

In fact, Lothar Matthaus has been more vocal about leaving than either Haaland or Raiola

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Hopefully the people at our club don’t apply teenage emotions to business decisions.
Word. On one hand Ed does seem to make teenage decisions, on the other I can totally picture Haaland with those micky mouse hats joyfully smiling on his way to adult disneyland.

hungrywing

Hopefully the people at our club don’t apply teenage emotions to business decisions.
I will give you a giant foam hand with your post printed on it and a time machine if you promise to use the time machine to go twelve months back in time and slap Woodslurp around with the hand for as long as necessary.

Hawks2008

Hate watching our strikers knowing we could have had him, need to everything we can to get him here next time he's on the move.

croadyman

Just watched Dortmund v RB Leipzig with the sound off to avoid the drums and Haaland was epic. Scored two, one from a cross from Sancho. With Haaland up front, we really would give the Scousers a run for the title. Flog Pogba and get Haaland, spend the money before City sign him up. Aquero is fecked and 32. Guardiola talking Aquero up but they have given him a new contract. They must be eyeing up Haaland.
Presumably you are talking when his release clause activates in the summer of 2022 because cannot realistically see him moving anywhere before that but could be proved wrong

BFernandes

I love the positions where he's scoring his goals from.

This is one of the main things were missing. An attacking central focal point who's happy to do most of their work within the width of the penalty box. The difference in the centre forward play between Haaland and Martial is ridiculous, and shows that if we've any aspirations of not just competing but winning the top competitions again then we need a new approach up top. Martial will not/does not cut it.

Le Red

There has to be some perspective applied to the Raiola thing.
We are talking about a guy who could dominate the best player in the world award in this decade. It would be ridiculous if we didn't try to snatch him.
That said, are there any solid indications that he might play for us when he leaves Dortmund? Or is this just a wet dream?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Anyone who wants Haaland and gives us another Railoa player should never support this club again. I would rather we get relegated than go through another few years of the Railoa circus again
Hahaha, this has to a windup surely. Dumbest post I've ever read on here.

Tibs

We should be doing anything and everything to sign this guy in this window

RedorDead21

I think Utd should refuse to deal with Riola. He causes too many waves. Hopefully Utd sell Pogba and make it clear to the current players that Riola's clients will not get game time.
I think United should be far better at dealing with Riola types more like. They’ll be more like him for the next hundred years..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think United should be far better at dealing with Riola types more like. They’ll be more like him for the next hundred years..
Exactly. It would be an embarrassment if one of the biggest clubs in the world of football felt so intimidated by one football agent.

We are exactly the type of clubs that should be handling such agents. We should also have the best people who will be sitting on the other side of the table too.

For all that is said, Raiola is just a football agent. And we HAVE also been under par for years. Regardless of who Haaland is represented by, he will want to leave United within a few years if we can’t even get into the Champions League. There’s also a good chance that whoever else the agent is will also talk about it in the press. We know this because agents have been making comments about their client’s futures since the beginning of time.

United fans have, in my opinion, chosen to subscribe to a preferred narrative of ‘Raiola moves his players to make money’ because it doesn’t confront the fact that Pogba, in the same set of circumstances, would have probably wanted to leave United for Real or Juve if he had any other agent too. Mkhitaryan would also have wanted to leave Dortmund for United and Lukaku would have wanted to leave Everton for United. This is the order of things in the game, and nothing to do with Raiola being obsessed with money. Dortmund also have another top young talent in Sancho who is not represented by Raiola, and are fully aware that he will want to move. Usually, once these players move to a club like United, Real, Bayern, Juve etc - they have arrived at a pinnacle - however, in recent years, the facts are simply that we have not represented such a level.

We are right to be going after Haaland, and in 3 or 4 years, he would be right to want to join another team if we are finishing 5th. Another agent may not make a comment about it directly in the press, but so what, in the grand scheme of things? Sancho’s agent has made no public comment - yet we know he wants to leave and is going to leave. The fact that the agent may make a comment in an interview shouldn’t be enough to stop is going after a footballer.

Red4Life_#7

I learnt about Haaland a few years ago from the CAF while he was still playing in the Norwegian league. He looked huge compared others, he was around 15 at the time playing with 18+ year old's and still looked huge. People were talking about us signing him then, which would have cost 1-2m max, lool.

Now he has developed... he is very clincial, fast enough and almost a complete striker. With 65m release clause next year, every big club will be going for him. Barca and Real will be the front runners with Utd and City just behind imo. I just hope he loves Ole and Ole is working on it behind the scenes, because he is exactly what we need over the next 10 years.

We need to have a good season, finishing in the top 2 and winning the Europe League.

Tallis

Totally agree with majority of posters. If he is available, we should do our best to sign him. Raiola is a toxic pest but if can get 5-6 good years of Haaland, I would be more than happy to suffer him for it. Besides, Raiola is only making so much noise because he is trying to get his supposedly unhappy client (Pogba) a move to a club he wants to be at.
Bigger concern is that in 2022, every major club will try to sign him including Madrid, Barca, City, possibly Liverpool, Bayern. We can pay him good wages but others can pay more and frankly we have less of a recent track record in winning stuff. So I think the possibility of him signing for us is very Low - I don’t see any special angles we have. As such, I hope Mason can develop as a nine and Hughil can move up the curve and be another option.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Totally agree with majority of posters. If he is available, we should do our best to sign him. Raiola is a toxic pest but if can get 5-6 good years of Haaland, I would be more than happy to suffer him for it. Besides, Raiola is only making so much noise because he is trying to get his supposedly unhappy client (Pogba) a move to a club he wants to be at.
Bigger concern is that in 2022, every major club will try to sign him including Madrid, Barca, City, possibly Liverpool, Bayern. We can pay him good wages but others can pay more and frankly we have less of a recent track record in wining stuff. So I think the possibility of him singing for us is very Low - I don’t see any special angles we have. As such, I hope Mason can develop as a nine and Hughil can move up the curve and be another option.
I think it’s a certainty that he will move before his buyout clause comes into play. If United were to go in for him now, the likes of Real, PSG, Bayern and Barcelona would follow or would at least offer Raiola the world if he holds back.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think it’s a certainty that he will move before his buyout clause comes into play. If United were to go in for him now, the likes of Real, PSG, Bayern and Barcelona would follow or would at least offer Raiola the world if he holds back.
Exactly - nobody is getting a free run at him (or Mbappe) by making an offer now as I suspect pretty much every major club has asked to be kept informed if / when there are bids and their club is ready to sell - It would become a bidding war in a matter of hours and Id be delighted and surprised in equal measure if either picked United

croadyman

Exactly - nobody is getting a free run at him (or Mbappe) by making an offer now as I suspect pretty much every major club has asked to be kept informed if / when there are bids and their club is ready to sell - It would become a bidding war in a matter of hours and Id be delighted and surprised in equal measure if either picked United
Yeah we haven't won a transfer race for so long that it would be nice to finally end that long drought

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Barca are in quite a bit of financial trouble right now, and Real aren't in a great place either. Not sure if they'd be able to get involved if it happens at the end of this season.

Barca are in quite a bit of financial trouble right now, and Real aren't in a great place either. Not sure if they'd be able to get involved if it happens at the end of this season.
Barca and Real have always got themselves out of financial holes. I’m sure they can find a spare training ground to sell to the government...

For the likes of Haaland, who is as sure a bet as you can get, I think both will find the money.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Barca and Real have always got themselves out of financial holes. I’m sure they can find a spare training ground to sell to the government...

For the likes of Haaland, who is as sure a bet as you can get, I think both will find the money.
Sure the govt hasn’t the funds to bail them out right now.
Re Barca: with all anti nationalist sentiment in Catalonia it’d be a bit strange to go to the govt and ask for a handout

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The Spanish government isn't in a position to do that anymore either. The only way I can see it happening is Barca taking a bank loan, but I remember reading that the banks weren't likely to give them one.

Real might be able to scrounge enough up, but I can't see Barca making any big transfers any time soon.

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

There’ll be talks.

ole: yes please

fergie: you know it should be done

Woowoo: but.. but... but...

glazers: we’ve got shopping centres in the good ole US to support. We don’t like spending Uniteds money on football matters and we have a debt to service. There are cheaper options.

troylocker

Bigger concern is that in 2022, every major club will try to sign him including Madrid, Barca, City, possibly Liverpool, Bayern. We can pay him good wages but others can pay more and frankly we have less of a recent track record in winning stuff. So I think the possibility of him signing for us is very Low - I don’t see any special angles we have. As such, I hope Mason can develop as a nine and Hughil can move up the curve and be another option.
If we managed to find the money now, I don't think we would have much competition:

- RM: I don't think they would have a chance of signing him now as long as ZZs favourite, Benz, is starting 100% for them for at least another year. Haaland would not go there to play 2nd fiddle now.
- Barca: The money simply isn't there now.
- Bayern: Lewandowski
- PSG: Not interesting for the Haalands. Ligue 1 does not have high enough status.
- Juve/Inter: I think we have an edge if they could find the money (He's turned Juve down twice already)

City: Unfortunately I think they will jump on the train if we do, as they need a replacement for Aguero before summer 2022.
Liverpool: Might jump on as well. Salah might be on his way out as well.

100% speculation of course, but I would like our chances dispite his father hating us and rating City. He and his team (Alfie and Raiola) are extremely professional about his career and will only choose what they think is best for him football and development wise. They have made it clear multiple times that football, development and trophies are more important for him than money.
In my mind this would be the signing of the century and would secure a position on the top of European football for the next decade (he won't move if he's happy and the trophies rolls in), even if we have to break the bank to make it happen. We would be favourites to win the PL and EL already this season with him leading the line.
Do I think it will happen: Unfortunately not. I think we will have to fight it out with 10 other clubs in 2022. With Benz and Lewa 18 months older and perhaps a Barca back on its feet financially it will be a lot tougher to get him then.

Sure the govt hasn’t the funds to bail them out right now.
Re Barca: with all anti nationalist sentiment in Catalonia it’d be a bit strange to go to the govt and ask for a handout
The Spanish government isn't in a position to do that anymore either. The only way I can see it happening is Barca taking a bank loan, but I remember reading that the banks weren't likely to give them one.

Real might be able to scrounge enough up, but I can't see Barca making any big transfers any time soon.
it’s somewhat tongue in cheek - esp the government bit. I still think that they will be able to find the money. Barca releasing Messi will help.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know what the exact word is, but I think I remember reading somewhere where he said he wants to play and score in all top league.
Ambitious should be the world, and not mercenary, my bad.
Wanting to move clubs is not necessarily a sign of ambition. You can be ambitious at one club too. Sir Alex was ambitious despite not wanting to manage everywhere.

Bondi77

With Aguero leaving at the end of the season I cannot see City having Jesus as their main striker so if I was going to wager on where his next club will be then it will be in Manchester but with a sky blue jersey on his back.

Denis' cuff

With Aguero leaving at the end of the season I cannot see City having Jesus as their main striker so if I was going to wager on where his next club will be then it will be in Manchester but with a sky blue jersey on his back.
ice blue, please

Ladron de redcafe

Wanting to move clubs is not necessarily a sign of ambition. You can be ambitious at one club too. Sir Alex was ambitious despite not wanting to manage everywhere.
I think so as well. Scholes and Giggs weren't any less ambitious than Paul Ince just because they chose to stay at the same club. They took on the task to dominate the English top tier in a way that had never been done before. That's ambition.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah we haven't won a transfer race for so long that it would be nice to finally end that long drought
When you say long, how long you talking because we managed to Maguire and I know City were in for him. Pogba was a while back but I know PSG, Barca and Madrid were in for him (still are).

Traditionally, we don't really go for the big, ready-made stars anyway but when we do, I'd say we've always got as good a chance of anyone.

Dinghy

There's no chance he'll be coming here. We had our chance when he left Molde and Salzburg, but now, the Ole-connection is not that relevant anymore when he can choose between all the best clubs in the world. His dad having a Leeds/City-background is why this transfer will never happen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Haaland fed by Bruno would be a cheat code.

We have to make sure we are in a strong position when his sale comes up - that's all that matters to most people.

cyberman

There's no chance he'll be coming here. We had our chance when he left Molde and Salzburg, but now, the Ole-connection is not that relevant anymore when he can choose between all the best clubs in the world. His dad having a Leeds/City-background is why this transfer will never happen.
He had his choice before he moved to Dortmund?

The Irish Connection

I hope Ole can use their connection to our advantage. Everyone will want him though.
If we offered 100m this summer, would Dortmund bite?
He would suit our direct style perfectly.

Champagne Football

I think some fans need a reality check. Firstly Man Utd were never going to sign Haaland and include a 70 million buy-out clause that Raiola demanded. Fans saying the club messed up the deal, Woodward never in a million years was going to take that deal.

Secondly, supposing he signs this summer. You can be guaranteed that if he scores 30 goals in his first PL season, Raiola will be demanding we pay him on a par with Messi and Cristiano, 500,000 quid per week, which I think the club will not be willing to pay. Which will lead to Raiola demanding we sell him to Madrid. It could well be Pogba all over again.

I think we need to avoid toxic agents. More available world class strikers will emerge. Cavani has been a revelation. Greenwood will hopefully come good again. Fergie said no to many appealing deals during his time due to dodgy agents or players who seemed only interested in the money, so we need to go back to that mentality.

Dinghy

He had his choice before he moved to Dortmund?
I think that was the last realistic chance we had of signing him, yes. Unfortunately we were shite at the time and Ole's job was on the line, which probably made his choice easy. Now that he's proven himself to be world class, his fathers background at Leeds/City will weigh far more than his connection to Ole as basically every top club will try to sign him. He' doesn't need Ole's "help" to reach the top. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

rooney2009

There is no chance he is coming here anymore
He had his chance and he missed, no thanks to his greedy agent
We need to move on and look somewhere else for the next big thing

The Irish Connection

There is no chance he is coming here anymore
He had his chance and he missed, no thanks to his greedy agent
We need to move on and look somewhere else for the next big thing
The lad Moukoko who stepped in for Haaland while he was injured looks very talented too...

Status
Not open for further replies.