Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zlatan just wasn’t as good as was ever made out. Eto’o was easily a higher calibre forward than him - just without all of that Lion crap.
Exactly. Eto'o was better 9 than Zlatan.

Exactly. Eto'o was better 9 than Zlatan.
Eto'o was a better 9 than just about anybody at that time. I still don't know why Barcelona sold him, even for Ibra.

Back on topic, Haaland is going to be better than either of them. I would spend everything we have on him.

roonster09

Scout
Eto'o was a better 9 than just about anybody at that time. I still don't know why Barcelona sold him, even for Ibra.

Back on topic, Haaland is going to be better than either of them. I would spend everything we have on him.
Same. If we blow out entire budget on Haaland I wouldn't complain. Other positions can wait for a season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Same. If we blow out entire budget on Haaland I wouldn't complain. Other positions can wait for a season.
I agree, the issue is more about the player than the position. We need a few players in different roles - but Haaland would have the biggest impact by far, and looking further down the line - it would be more important to get him in now if this is the only chance and have him for many years than getting other players and eventually getting a less impactful forward.

Haaland is top priority for me, but if we can’t get him specifically, then striker isn’t necessarily the top priority before other positions.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
They will need a forward, have endless dosh and given his family history it all seems too obvious.
I really don't think his father will have that much bearing in all honesty. This family history you mention with City is minimal. Hes only known for his tackle on Keane from his days there. Hes more known for forest and leeds and im sure you dont think if they agreed a fee, he'd tell his son to go to them over city, madrid., utd, juve etc etc.

If city bid this summer and madrid dont, he'll go city. Otherwise its madrid all day imo. Already reporting in spain how erling and his dad are excited about the prospect of madrid

macheda14

I really don't think his father will have that much bearing in all honesty. This family history you mention with City is minimal. Hes more known for forest and leeds and im sure you dont think if they agreed a fee, he'd tell his son to go to them over city, madrid., utd, juve etc etc.

If city bid this summer and madrid dont, he'll go city. Otherwise its madrid all day imo. Already reporting in spain how erling and his dad are excited about the prospect of madrid
Which means absolutely nothing, has Alf-Inge called up the Spanish press to let them know?

roonster09

Scout
I agree, the issue is more about the player than the position. We need a few players in different roles - but Haaland would have the biggest impact by far, and looking further down the line - it would be more important to get him in now if this is the only chance and have him for many years than getting other players and eventually getting a less impactful forward.

Haaland is top priority for me, but if we can’t get him specifically, then striker isn’t necessarily the top priority before other positions.
Yeah, it's the player rather than position. We can ignore all other positions for 1 summer if it's Haaland. If not then hopefully we sign Sancho. Will add so much to the team interms of creativity.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's on the market too soon for us to replace Lewandowski.
Not convinced you could afford him or would have any appetite to work with Raiola either. If you could I think you are ruthless enough to let Lewandoski go for the right price and replace him with Haaland.

SwedishFish

Zlatan scored 25 goals in Serie A for Inter the season before the swap, Eto'o scored 30 in 39 games in La Liga.

After the swap, Eto'o scored 12 goals in 32 games for Inter. Zlatan scored 16 goals in 29 games for Barcelona with 400 less played minutes than Eto'o for Inter.

Sure, Eto'o was a much better fit for that Barcelona side, but to say Zlatan wasn't on par with Eto'o at the time is absolute waffle.

roonster09

Scout
Zlatan scored 25 goals in Serie A for Inter the season before the swap, Eto'o scored 30 in 39 games in La Liga.

After the swap, Eto'o scored 12 goals in 32 games for Inter. Zlatan scored 16 goals in 29 games for Barcelona with 400 less played minutes than Eto'o for Inter.

Sure, Eto'o was a much better fit for that Barcelona side, but to say Zlatan wasn't on par with Eto'o at the time is absolute waffle.
Eto'o didn't play as striker for Inter. Milito played as striker, Eto'o played as winger and at times as wing back too.

SwedishFish

Eto'o didn't play as striker for Inter. Milito played as striker, Eto'o played as winger and at times as wing back too.
He played in all the positions around the attack, but out of the 16 he played as a striker he scored 6 goals.

beingshe7don

Eto'o was far more clinical than Zlatan and held his own with the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry and young Messi around him. Zlatan has a better ability to create something out of nothing and was technically much better than Eto'o. If you ask me, who do we need at United. A prime Eto'o and Bruno would create havoc in the league.

roonster09

Scout
He played in all the positions around the attack, but out of the 16 he played as a striker he scored 6 goals.
Not sure when he played as CF, Milito was their main CF and he started 33 league games.

Handré1990

Exactly this, not exactly a controversial opinion.

croadyman

He would have laughed his head off at the thought of joining us watching that garbage tonight

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Stop torturing yourself, he's not signing for Utd... even 15 years ago it'd have been a debatable one.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Eto'o was definitely better than Zlatan. Proper elite striker along the best I've seen alongwith the likes of Suarez etc He had consistency but also the big game mentality that few could match. Zlatan is good but not at the same level for me. While he's better in the air, I don't think Zlatan is a great part of a great team which is why he's shone mostly where he's the focal point of a less than spectacular collective. He also lacks pace which means specific systems suit him. Eto'o didn't have the same prowess in the air but wants otherwise absolutely complete - could drop deep and link up, was strong, absolutely rapid, could beat a defender with ease and like I said, in big moments, in the champions League, in a top team, I'd want Eto'o anyday.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Not convinced you could afford him or would have any appetite to work with Raiola either. If you could I think you are ruthless enough to let Lewandoski go for the right price and replace him with Haaland.
Have you actually checked Lewa's stats for this season? We'd be stupid to let him go. He doesn't live off his pace, and is every bit as professional as CR. He's got 3 more seasons on his current level, easily

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I honestly dont think we would see a great deal of improvement if we were to sign him or bring in a similar forward. We simply dont create enough.
We dont create enough chances for Cavani and he's practically got similar attributes.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly dont think we would see a great deal of improvement if we were to sign him or bring in a similar forward. We simply dont create enough.
We dont create enough chances for Cavani and he's practically got similar attributes.
Yep been saying this for awhile. Put Haaland in that game last night, not much would actually change. We still wouldn't have created any real chances for him. We have as big a creativity issue as we do a lack of quality finishing.

troylocker

Yep been saying this for awhile. Put Haaland in that game last night, not much would actually change. We still wouldn't have created any real chances for him. We have as big a creativity issue as we do a lack of quality finishing.
Would Haaland score on any of Rashford's chance, Bruno's miss or Cavani's hopeless outside of his rightfoot chances if you put him in their shoes in the first half do you think? Would he show some more initiative than what our guys did yesterday? Could that have changed the dynamics and the outcome of that match?

Judas

Open to offers
Would Haaland score on one or both of Rashford's chance or Bruno's miss in the first half do you think? Would he show some more initiative than what our guys did yesterday? Could that have changed the dynamics and the outcome of that match?
It's better to put him in the position of Cavani, would he have scored the one chance Cavani sniffed out which was the toe poke from the corner? Maybe he would have. No point putting him places of other players who'd be playing anyway. I think Cavani was showing plenty of initiative, he was doing his usual runs and being mostly ignored.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why do people think players need the guarantee of immediate titles to be a viable option? A club just has to match the player's ambition [and prove it of course].

dinostar77

Why do people think players need the guarantee of immediate titles to be a viable option? A club just has to match the player's ambition [and prove it of course].
Because like Mbappe his career is being carefully managed. This advisors dont want to make a mistake with their golden goose.

Mbappe representatives asked a number of clubs to create a document outlining why Mbappe should consider joining them. Thats how much football has changed. For these very potentially elite players, their representatives are being very very careful. The throne at the top of football is being vacated by CR7 and Messi. The representatives of both Mbappe and Haaland want to ensure that their client wears the crown. Picking the right club with the right project is vital.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

1:18. Exact same cross Wan-Bissaka put in last night in the first half.

2:43.James plays that ball almost every time he plays. Goes out for a throw-in most of the times. I wonder why?

Chances created 20/21:
1. City 314
2. United 297
3. Chelsea 291
4. Pool 288
5. Leeds 281
12. Arsenal 215
13. Spurs 203

Bruno and Shaw are two of the biggest chance creators in the league.

When will people wake up and realise that chance creation isn't the biggest issue? Genuinely bemusing the amount of leeway our forwards are given. Just look at some of the movement and finishing from Haaland in that video and compare it to our forwards. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have zero appetite for scoring goals. They have no clue where to be or what to do in order to score 'easy' goals.

Greenwood was brilliant post lockdown but he was massively outperforming his xG. He was mostly scoring from unrealistic shots. Goals from unrealistic shots have completely dried up this season and he is getting exposed. 1 league goal in almost 1200 minutes simply isn't good enough. James has three times more goals in less than half the minutes. I really don't want to be too harsh on a teenager in his second full season but I cringe every time there are calls to make him the permanent CF. Where are his tap-ins? Where is his eagerness to get into the right positions to have a greater chance of scoring a goal? Playing on the wing doesn't mean you can't do those things. In fact those things should be easier for a wide forward rather than a CF who is constantly sandwiched between two CBs. He might be a good finisher but that's pretty redundant when you're allergic to the ball. Other than blind love for an academy kid there is very little to suggest putting all eggs in one basket and making him our main CF.

Rashford's decision making is dreadful. When he's not in offside he decides to dwell on the ball for ages for no good reason. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. Largely an inconsistent and unreliable player.

Martial, the less said about him the better. This is the same pretender a lot of people on here were favouring over Haaland 15 months ago. Even at that stage anyone unbiased could see that one was a useless lump while the other was a world class player in the making.

Add to Cavani's injuries/ban and this has been an underwhelming season from all the forwards. People are reluctant to call out the forwards for being shit but love spurring a false narratives about us not creating enough and how impotent Haaland would be in this setup.

troylocker

1:18. Exact same cross Wan-Bissaka put in last night in the first half.

2:43.James plays that ball almost every time he plays. Goes out for a throw-in most of the times. I wonder why?

Chances created 20/21:
1. City 314
2. United 297
3. Chelsea 291
4. Pool 288
5. Leeds 281
12. Arsenal 215
13. Spurs 203

Bruno and Shaw are two of the biggest chance creators in the league.

When will people wake up and realise that chance creation isn't the biggest issue? Genuinely bemusing the amount of leeway our forwards are given. Just look at some of the movement and finishing from Haaland in that video and compare it to our forwards. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have zero appetite for scoring goals. They have no clue where to be or what to do in order to score 'easy' goals.

Greenwood was brilliant post lockdown but he was massively outperforming his xG. He was mostly scoring from unrealistic shots. Goals from unrealistic shots have completely dried up this season and he is getting exposed. 1 league goal in almost 1200 minutes simply isn't good enough. James has three times more goals in less than half the minutes. I really don't want to be too harsh on a teenager in his second full season but I cringe every time there are calls to make him the permanent CF. Where are his tap-ins? Where is his eagerness to get into the right positions to have a greater chance of scoring a goal? Playing on the wing doesn't mean you can't do those things. In fact those things should be easier for a wide forward rather than a CF who is constantly sandwiched between two CBs. He might be a good finisher but that's pretty redundant when you're allergic to the ball. Other than blind love for an academy kid there is very little to suggest putting all eggs in one basket and making him our main CF.

Rashford's decision making is dreadful. When he's not in offside he decides to dwell on the ball for ages for no good reason. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. Largely an inconsistent and unreliable player.

Martial, the less said about him the better. This is the same pretender a lot of people on here were favouring over Haaland 15 months ago. Even at that stage anyone unbiased could see that one was a useless lump while the other was a world class player in the making.

Add to Cavani's injuries/ban and this has been an underwhelming season from all the forwards. People are reluctant to call out the forwards for being shit but love spurring a false narratives about us not creating enough and how impotent Haaland would be in this setup.
You got this one spot on.

Tarrou

https://theathletic.com/2413728/202...ars-on/?source=googleamp&access_token=2444529

the Athletic have published an article about Keane's foul on Alfe 20 years on, he said this a few years after the challenge,

“I know I have a strong case,” he said. “I’ve had about 20 lawyers wanting to take the case, which says it all. I probably would have finished with it all by now if it hadn’t been for his book and their (United’s) attitude. He felt he had to put it in a book (stabbing motion) and I don’t have a good thing to say about Man Utd. He has not acted like a normal human being and they are just as bad.

“They have been twisting the knife all along. You would expect something better, and probably get it, from any other club but that’s obviously Man Utd’s attitude towards other clubs and players. They don’t give a damn about anyone, you know? It’s probably why so many people dislike them.”

RashyForPM

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
On what happened between Keane and his father: A few days ago a poster shared a quote saying that what happened would not be an impediment to the development of his career, at United, if it was the case but ... it is an assumption of the press or something said directly by him or his father?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I read it, and it’s a load of shite by Haaland. Yes, Keane acted really poorly, but what are United supposed to do? People dislike us because we’re successful, not because we don’t cater to injured opposition players.
Keane was a d*ck to any neutral but was a wonderful captain for us.

I personally enjoyed his performances but I was never a fan of his personality as a player, manager or as a TV presenter. His personality seemed like a joy to us because we would get all his technical benefits but no other club did.

Again I liked his hard working attitude but that never meant I liked all of his personality.

United catered to Keane like he did nothing wrong because we gained the benefits.

Tarrou

On what happened between Keane and his father: A few days ago a poster shared a quote saying that what happened would not be an impediment to the development of his career, at United, if it was the case but ... it is an assumption of the press or something said directly by him or his father?
I believe it was a quote from his father, though I can't find it sorry

RashyForPM

Keane was a d*ck to any neutral but was a wonderful captain for us.

I personally enjoyed his performances but I was never a fan of his personality as a player, manager or as a TV presenter. His personality seemed like a joy to us because we would get all his technical benefits but no other club did.

Again I liked his hard working attitude but that never meant I liked all of his personality.

United catered to Keane like he did nothing wrong because we gained the benefits.
I agree with all that bar the pundit bit as I think he’s excellent. Says it as it is in a blunt manner, about time someone did it that way. At the same time, point still stands that Haaland was chatting shite, and I think he knows it because the article mentions how he does not want that to get in the way now if Erling wants to join us. Even he would say now that he shouldn’t expect United to do anything when his injury wasn’t even caused by Keane.

Status
Not open for further replies.