Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm surprised that so many United fans are so unconfident about the possibility of signing Haaland. I actually think there's quite a feasible chance.

Granted, you probably have bigger areas that you need to improve in before you focus your attention on to a striker; a winger comes in to mind, as well as a centre back to play alongside Maguire. But you'd be foolish to not at least attempt to match us, and possibly Real, blow for blow because this lad is a generational talent. His like only come around once or twice every ten to fifteen years and for this reason, exceptions should be made in your transfer plan and model to get his signature. You can then focus on your other issues in subsequent windows. If he chooses someone else, then fair enough. There's nothing more you could've done.

I would definitely say that we are favourites to sign him, but for me United are a very close second. He's always wanted to play in the premier league and has already worked under Ole so that could definitely be a contributing factor. I only wonder if Ole will be strong enough to maintain his job throughout the entirety of next season. I've also observed from his character that he might prefer the more challenging job than the obvious counterpart in City. He would be guaranteed more game time and freedom at United than City, where his strengths would probably be integrated more within a system rather than being the main man. I think it's truly dependent on his own character and what he might think is the best next step for his development.

If he wants the challenge, United.
If we wants the philosophy and the finished article, City.

A move to Old Trafford is far more plausible than most of you seem to think.
Yeah that’s fair enough, if he wants a proper challenge then United are the club, but I can’t see him saying no to Pep and winning the league every season.

padzilla

Hipster
This is going to be another Sancho/ Wesley Snejider summer long mega thread with him inevitably not signing for us isn't it?
Regarding transfer rumours, is there truth to the suggestion City will get 15 per cent of any fee for Sancho which is driving up his price.
It's also been suggested City will waive that clause if Dortmund agree to sell Haaland to them.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
https://www.republicworld.com/sport...mmer-despite-release-clause-complexities.html

This link has Fabrizio Romano's twitter quote as well which indicates the release clause being 75m euros which is approximately 65m pounds. Dortmund would be foolish to keep him for one more season when they can bank around 35m more this coming summer. If Real, Bayern or Chelsea cough up that 65m in 2022, Dortmund cannot ignore it. And Haaland's current contract runs till 2024, so I don't see him signing an extension either. I think 100m would enough to price him this summer. United are not going to get him if they wait for summer 2022 as the other teams would be a more lucrative option. And getting both Sancho and Haaland would help since they've played together.

Rashford/ Haaland/ Sancho (starting 11)
James/ Greenwood/ Diallo (bench options)
If the buy-out goes down the total price remains unaffected because the player (and his agent) fully understand that a players cost is a combination of selling club fee, agent fee and player salary.
Thus, if the buy-out drops by £30M the player & agent will clearly want that £30M, that is thereafter not due to the selling club, paid by increased agents fee together with increased player salary or signing on bonus.

I find it weird that so many fans on this and other forums cling onto the weird notion that a reduction in the fee being paid to the selling club suddenly makes the player worth less so cheaper to buy, or that a buy-out set at say twice a players value means that you need to pay twice the players value to get said player.

What you need to pay for a player is whatever can be agreed between your club, the selling club, the player and the players agent.
The reduction in a buy-out price only changes the balance between the price that the selling club receives and what the player & agent recieve and all that does is to introduce a tension between them whereby the selling club may be more likely inspired to sell before the buy-out drops but the player and agent prefer to wait until after it drops to increase their take.

Oh, and an offer that meets the buy-out only allows, in effect, formal access to discuss a transfer with the player / agent it doesn’t mean that the player has to transfer - the player can always say no and access to discuss a transfer with a player is actually only semantics because clubs representatives and players agents hold off-the-record discussions / outline negotiations all the time. In fact it would be rare nowadays for an offer to go in for a major player without the club making the offer having already reached tacit agreement with the player and agent. Which is the only practical way to go about it as you can’t set out your formal off of fee to the selling club without an understanding of what you’ll need to pay on top of that to the player & agent (and sometimes father, brother, uncle etc.).

ShinjiNinja26

If he does go to City then Raiola’s going to demand a huge agent fee because if he makes that move there’s little chance of him moving on elsewhere in the future. We all know City don’t sell their best players unless of course the player kicks up a fuss which is unlikely as it’s not happened yet.

Lappen

I'm surprised that so many United fans are so unconfident about the possibility of signing Haaland. I actually think there's quite a feasible chance.

Granted, you probably have bigger areas that you need to improve in before you focus your attention on to a striker; a winger comes in to mind, as well as a centre back to play alongside Maguire. But you'd be foolish to not at least attempt to match us, and possibly Real, blow for blow because this lad is a generational talent. His like only come around once or twice every ten to fifteen years and for this reason, exceptions should be made in your transfer plan and model to get his signature. You can then focus on your other issues in subsequent windows. If he chooses someone else, then fair enough. There's nothing more you could've done.

I would definitely say that we are favourites to sign him, but for me United are a very close second. He's always wanted to play in the premier league and has already worked under Ole so that could definitely be a contributing factor. I only wonder if Ole will be strong enough to maintain his job throughout the entirety of next season. I've also observed from his character that he might prefer the more challenging job than the obvious counterpart in City. He would be guaranteed more game time and freedom at United than City, where his strengths would probably be integrated more within a system rather than being the main man. I think it's truly dependent on his own character and what he might think is the best next step for his development.

If he wants the challenge, United.
If we wants the philosophy and the finished article, City.

A move to Old Trafford is far more plausible than most of you seem to think.
Do City do business with Raiola? For me it seems like they don't. And I feel its because they don't want the distraction of the pitch that comes with him. He always demands high salary for the player and a good fee for himself. Could it destroy the hierarki the players have. Wasn't this a bit problem some years ago, before you rewrote all the contracts. Also, the way rumors means you pay for players and agents, there have to be a lott of trust involved. Can you trust Raiola?

I do not believe the Norwegian Shrek wants to join Man Utd, but he could if we pay Raiola enough.
I don't think Man City wants him enough.
PSG loosing Mbape. Bayern M wants to replays Levandorski in near future.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Do City do business with Raiola? For me it seems like they don't. And I feel its because they don't want the distraction of the pitch that comes with him. He always demands high salary for the player and a good fee for himself. Could it destroy the hierarki the players have. Wasn't this a bit problem some years ago, before you rewrote all the contracts. Also, the way rumors means you pay for players and agents, there have to be a lott of trust involved. Can you trust Raiola?

I do not believe the Norwegian Shrek wants to join Man Utd, but he could if we pay Raiola enough.
I don't think Man City wants him enough.
PSG loosing Mbape. Bayern M wants to replays Levandorski in near future.
City don't usually do business with Raiola, but it's been reported that they are making an exception with Haaland. City probably won't allow Raiola to make demands that the club find unreasonable and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of any negotiations because of this reason. That being said, they will probably provide more leverage than they usually would because of the calibre of player that they're dealing with.

I don't think it should impact the hierarchy at all if City think that the offer is a necessary one to make, and I certainly trust Raiola as an agent who wants the best for his players. I don't think he's motivated just for his own pocket.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
People already made the same criticisms about Haaland before he came to Bundesliga, people saying that he wouldn't keep the level if he went to a far better league better than the Austria one.

Also, Haaland has 20 goals in the UCL. He shot 28 times!

And Haaland, while not as skilled as Mbappé, seems to be a far more clinical finisher.
Is this real? It seems too ridiculous even for his standards.

Lappen

City don't usually do business with Raiola, but it's been reported that they are making an exception with Haaland. City probably won't allow Raiola to make demands that the club find unreasonable and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of any negotiations because of this reason. That being said, they will probably provide more leverage than they usually would because of the calibre of player that they're dealing with.

I don't think it should impact the hierarchy at all if City think that the offer is a necessary one to make, and I certainly trust Raiola as an agent who wants the best for his players. I don't think he's motivated just for his own pocket.
You have some good points there.... If you get him, I hope you are wrong :0) he would do great in Man City.

The last one considering motivation I have problem believing. Its not just his pocket of course, but strangely the pocket to the player and his pocket seems to have the same thoughts. If the players in Raiolas stable have the same cooperation as Zlatan, I really belive the players listning a lot moore to the agent then most player usually do to others agents.

MU655

Even if we do get him, he will only stay a maximum of two to three years. He has already pretty much said he is not interested in staying at a club for a long time. He wants to try all the big leagues.

Three years will take him to 24, so he will be gone then. It may turn out to be a short term solution.

I wonder whether we would accept his terms. I bet he will either demand a release clause or a relatively short contract.

But judging by his want to spend a relatively small amount of time at each club, I don't think he would choose us, anyway. He will want almost guaranteed success, which we cannot provide.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Even if we do get him, he will only stay a maximum of two to three years. He has already pretty much said he is not interested in staying at a club for a long time. He wants to try all the big leagues.

Three years will take him to 24, so he will be gone then. It may turn out to be a short term solution.

I wonder whether we would accept his terms. I bet he will either demand a release clause or a relatively short contract.

But judging by his want to spend a relatively small amount of time at each club, I don't think he would choose us, anyway. He will want almost guaranteed success, which we cannot provide.
Has he actually said that or is it just something people are assuming?

Even if it is the case, I would expect he'd want to spend his prime in England and Spain, before then moving on to Italy/France/Germany towards the end of his career. I just don't see him in those weaker leagues while he's still in his prime. That means that the English and Spanish teams could easily have him for 4-6 years each.

davidmichael

Is Lewa not a proper Centre Forward?
Anyway, City are already working on a potential Haaland signing for this summer. If another team wants him they’ll have to enter the race quickly or the window of opportunity will be closing.
If City cannot get him their fallback options would be Lautaro Martinez or Joao Felix.
Yes of course Lewandowski is a proper centre forward but he was already there at Bayern and without looking into it wasn’t that a spell where Lewandowski wasn’t as lethal as before or after ? Martinez and Felix are much more Guardiola type strikers, I just don’t see Guardiola wanting Haaland unless it was to keep him from other clubs.

nmm85

Has he actually said that or is it just something people are assuming?

Even if it is the case, I would expect he'd want to spend his prime in England and Spain, before then moving on to Italy/France/Germany towards the end of his career. I just don't see him in those weaker leagues while he's still in his prime. That means that the English and Spanish teams could easily have him for 4-6 years each.
Yeah, he said this about Ibra "I like how he moves from one club to another" Article Here

This is why I think we have a chance to get him.I could see him go to Barca in a few years then back to England maybe.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yes of course Lewandowski is a proper centre forward but he was already there at Bayern and without looking into it wasn’t that a spell where Lewandowski wasn’t as lethal as before or after ? Martinez and Felix are much more Guardiola type strikers, I just don’t see Guardiola wanting Haaland unless it was to keep him from other clubs.
You must have noticed that Pep moves all his AM and ST around which creates plenty of goals but distributes them somewhat. He doesn’t go with a static #9 battering ram but the perception that he only uses small, nippy forwards is not true.
Guardiola must like Haaland as the wheels are already turning to potentially bring him to City. As I said earlier any rivals for his signature need to already be in the game or it may be too late.

laughtersassassin

If he goes to City he is there as long as they want him. No one leaves them.

Funny how they can hold onto top players when we never could in our prime

spiriticon

Don't think Haaland is interested in us at all to be honest. If he were to come to Manchester it would be for the blue that his dad played for.

He's just playing us to get the best contract possible.

Judas

Open to offers
Ronaldo was only here for a few years, we won the lot. I honestly wouldn't give a feck if Haaland was only with us for say 4 years, we win loads and he moves on. Not every player stays at a club for 8-9 years or gives up their entire career to a club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
As literally every top club wants him, it will be a matter of the price I guess. Therefore, it is very likely that he'll end up at a club like City or Munich. As we're a top 2 club nowadays, I doubt we can do enough to attract him unfortunately.

Comet49

I’ve always felt that’s why Chelsea signed Scott Parker from Fulham. If my memory’s correct they didn’t play him much.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is Lewa not a proper Centre Forward?
Anyway, City are already working on a potential Haaland signing for this summer. If another team wants him they’ll have to enter the race quickly or the window of opportunity will be closing.
If City cannot get him their fallback options would be Lautaro Martinez or Joao Felix.
You'd have to be proper deluded to think it's first come first served with Haaland this season, he could choose any club he wants, he'll want to hear every offer he has. He's not gonna just join the first team that shows a slight bit of interest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly forgot about him. Seemed like he didn't get in with Pep so was probably mutual.
I know people don't like hearing it, especially their fans, but the reason clubs like City and PSG can keep their players around is 1. competing for trophies 2. an unrivalled, unlimited pool of money.

ShinjiNinja26

We ain’t signing this guy. The Glazers have just taken out a £60m loan to cover losses over the covid period you really think they’re going to sign off on spending £90-100m to sign Haaland this summer? No chance. Especially when we need a top CB and RW as well.

He’s what we need but unfortunately not what we’re going to get and that trend will continue so long as these leeching bastards own the club.

laughtersassassin

We ain’t signing this guy. The Glazers have just taken out a £60m loan to cover losses over the covid period you really think they’re going to sign off on spending £90-100m to sign Haaland this summer? No chance. Especially when we need a top CB and RW as well.

He’s what we need but unfortunately not what we’re going to get and that trend will continue so long as these leeching bastards own the club.
If I'm Ole I go for Halaand over a CB and RW if I have to.

You don't say no to him if you have any chance. He is too fecking good.

Castia

He’s got Man City written all over him. They’ll need a new striker in the summer and who better than to sign a former players son.

ShinjiNinja26

If I'm Ole I go for Halaand over a CB and RW if I have to.

You don't say no to him if you have any chance. He is too fecking good.
Oh I’m sure Ole would fecking love to sign him, probably more than anyone out there he’s exactly what we need to take us to the next level but unfortunately the Glazers ain’t spending that sort of money on one player, certainly not in this current climate.

Our chance to sign him was before he went to Dortmund, now sadly I think that ship has sailed. It’d be shocked if we were able to sign him now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This deal is an absolute fantasy and United aren’t going to deny the links because it makes them sound like they are considering everything to get back to being a genuine force. Cavani extension it is.

Anyone who thinks we are going to offer to pay over 100 million just to get into a race with other clubs after the Glazers took their dividends and secured another 60 million pound loan to keep the wages paid? No chance. If we can’t even finally get Sancho done last year there’s no chance, 0, that we will swoop in and get this done this year. Look at Upamecano. Yeah we were supposedly very interested. Might even pay over his release clause last summer to steal a march on the competition? It’s all just hot air, PR, monitoring, until an actual serious club comes in puts the money down and blows us straight out of the water. It’ll be the same again on this. At best we might finally get Sancho done after 3 summers and that’s if we are the only club in for him. We are very lucky the Spanish clubs have had their hands tied so far because they would have taken him too I’m sure.

Don’t do it to yourselves!

Last edited:

Giggsy13

Dalot is worth 10m and Martial should be still worth 40m.... So that would be a 200m deal for Dortmund. Dortmund will lose both Haaland and Sancho this summer. Haaland has a release clause of 65m or something of that sort in summer 2022. Given the finance issues, Dortmund will sell both and for 150m in cash and one being a direct replacement, I think it could work out.
Dortmund can’t afford Martial’s wages. This is a type of deal that is more fantasy than reality. Not sure it would even pass the test on PES or Fifa either.

Giggsy13

This deal is an absolute fantasy and United aren’t going to deny the links because it makes them sound like they are considering everything to get back to being a genuine force. Cavani extension it is.

Anyone who thinks we are going to offer to pay over 100 million just to get into a race with other clubs after the Glazers took their dividends and secured another 60 million pound loan to keep the wages paid? No chance. If we can’t even finally get Sancho done last year there’s no chance, 0, that we will swoop in and get this done this year. Look at Upamecano. Yeah we were supposedly very interested. Might even pay over his release clause last summer to steal a march on the competition? It’s all just hot air, PR, monitoring, until an actual serious club comes in puts the money down and blows us straight out of the water. It’ll be the same again on this. At best we might finally get Sancho done after 3 summers and that’s if we are the only club in for him. We are very lucky the Spanish clubs have had their hands tied so far because they would have taken him too I’m sure.
United is a lot of hot air and PR now. I doubt we move for Sancho now that we bought Diallo. That’s how dim witted and idiotic united is run these days. IMO, Sancho ends up at Chelsea.

Haaland won’t agitate for a move this summer and will stay another year to allow his buyout clause to kick in. He and his agent will want as many clubs as possible coming to the table next season and their will be many since it will be a close to normal season from a financial standpoint. Makes sense if Raiola wants to maximize his agent fee and Haaland’a wages.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
United is a lot of hot air and PR now. I doubt we move for Sancho now that we bought Diallo. That’s how dim witted and idiotic united is run these days. IMO, Sancho ends up at Chelsea.

Haaland won’t agitate for a move this summer and will stay another year to allow his buyout clause to kick in. He and his agent will want as many clubs as possible coming to the table next season and their will be many since it will be a close to normal season from a financial standpoint. Makes sense if Raiola wants to maximize his agent fee and Haaland’a wages.
the only way we even have a tiny hope of getting him is if fans are back and it’s summer 2022 and it’s been something we’ve actually been working on for a very long time and we’ve turned the players head. If he moves this season we won’t even make an offer. If we can’t raise over 100 million for Sancho in a timely enough fashion and he actually really wanted to come here for the last few years then you reckon we will be willing to enter an open auction for a player with many other options for even more money? Fans need to get real. Swap martial for Haaland? Why would Dortmund pay Martial 200k a week when haaland doesn’t even get that. We are the only mugs who’ll pay him that in Europe at this moment in time. We still don’t even have a right winger ffs! I don’t think Chelsea go for Sancho though. I reckon he’s still ours to lose if the club get the finger out. Lord knows they’ve the groundwork done on it anyway... Sancho and Rice with lingard going the other way is a great summer if we can get it together. I really don’t see it though. Maybe Rice a free transfer and some youth. That’s some massive comedown from Haaland and Sancho but that’s where we are at as a club. Don’t buy into the PR. It’s just a cheap advertising trick.

Last edited:

croadyman

For me it's in 3 tiers:

Tier 1 - CB and RW
CB
I don't see a clear starting CB ready to carry Maguire, Lindelof or Bailly next year. Ideally we're talking about a left-footed defensive leader, but really the main concern is a proper CB who can defend, run and pass.

RW
Diallo should be the backup RW next year and James should be Rashford's backup at LW. Need a starter here. If we sign Grealish as our big signing instead of Haaland or Sancho, I think Rashford at RW or basically Mason at RWF with Rash up top and Grealish and Bruno behind them in more of a 4-2-2-2 is fine too.

Tier 2 - Striker, DM
Striker
Greenwood is 21 in 89 for us, largely playing out wide, looks more comfortable in the buildup as a 9 and clearly has the skill to link play (and unlike Martial the desire to then get into the box after) and will be 20 early into next season. If Cavani or Martial is here to allow him to blood into the team you could argue that's not really going to be a hole by Xmas.

And against a high line, I'd be fine with Rashford as the 9, though James or Pogba (if he's around) on the left might not be up to it at LW so he might be needed there.

DM
If Pogba stays, I could easily see him or VDB having a nice season or combining to have one as our 8, with Fred and McTominay doing the job at the 6 as their more defensive partner.

Tier 3 - RWB
We need an attacking player who can give Wan-Bissaka a rest and maybe play ahead of him when we got 3 at the back and need a wing-back there, and come on with 20 to go when we're attacking. Lamptey really does make perfect sense here for us and for them, and it's not like we couldn't send them a loanee that would immediately help them, like Brandon Williams, Laird or Diogo Dalot to replace him, or Pellistri or Tuanzebe.

This is lower because I could see one of the 3 RBs mentioned above taking the role and also it's a backup role and Wan-Bissaka is doing fine playing 90% of the minutes anyways if healthy, even if ideally he's closer to 65-70 with a better attacking player around 30-35.
Any chance we could add DM to tier 1 as well because need to sign one desperately even if Pogba stays

croadyman

We can’t afford him. Probably City and PSG are the only ones
Was referring to the DM situation being neglected again but yeah fully expect him to join City this summer and our owners will just carry on with this believe in the process BS whilst they go further away from us

croadyman

Yeah I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see us walking away from Jadon due to Amad and that is utterly stupid

The Irish Connection

Haaland is a weird player. I've been watching him closely this season.
in the hertha game now, he didn't touch the ball in the first 20 minutes and ended up with about 6 touches in the first half, two of which were miscontrols.
but he comes alive on the break or when there's a cross.
he would be an odd match for man city really.
as we are an odd bunch ourselves who love direct counters, he would suit us better.
man city have been playing without a number 9 alot of this season and haven't really suffered, while pep is obsessed with players keeping the ball.
a friend of mine who supports city says that there are pictures of Haaland and his dad in city jerseys though, and that they are in pole position.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
utterly stupid is paying 100m for Jadon Sancho
He's worth that kind of money, especially if Havertz went for the price he went for. If Haaland is worth 100m+, so is Sancho IMO. He's just as talented, potent, and covers both wings to great effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.