Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

copen1945

Solskjaer must be trusted that he has a plan to bring a player with whom he has a long standing personal and professional relationship. The transfer process has only begun.

Red_toad

Everyone is salivating on the Norwegian, but I have a feeling he ends up in Barcelona and Mbappe ends up with Real.

Or vice verca. They are the next Messi and Ronaldo. Real always looking for fluff over substance are more likely to be drawn by Mbappe but obviously the Frenchman is a beast of a player too.

That ship has sailed. Sancho is more realistic of a target
Barca are broke, anyone who thinks they can afford 100 million plus and a 300k a week player this summer is delusional.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
g
Is that Sorloth next to him? What do they feed these guys? Haaland looks like a normal guy next to him :lol:
The closer you're getting to the pole, the bigger the penguins are. Goes for humans, too...

dinostar77

PSG have had talks with Haaland camp (probably doesnt mean much as most big clubs have with his camp). This is on the basis that Mbappe doesnt sign a new deal and they cant get Messi this summer. Also interestes in Mo Salah (as hes the most popular player in arabic world) and would be a coup for the owners.

Source: Transfer Window Podcast.

troylocker

PSG have had talks with Haaland camp (probably doesnt mean much as most big clubs have with his camp). This is on the basis that Mbappe doesnt sign a new deal and they cant get Messi this summer. Also interestes in Mo Salah (as hes the most popular player in arabic world) and would be a coup for the owners.

Source: Transfer Window Podcast.
All the big clubs have had talks with the Haaland camp, us included.
I believe the chance of him taking the step down to Ligue 1 is slim to non-existent. He will want to play in the biggest leagues next: England or Spain.

dinostar77

All the big clubs have had talks with the Haaland camp, us included.
I believe the chance of him taking the step down to Ligue 1 is slim to non-existent. He will want to play in the biggest leagues next: England or Spain.
Who knows? If the lad wants CL every season and to get to the final fairly regularly then PSG are a legitimate choice. PSG and City will win the CL eventually and then will win it multiple times after that. They are the two richest clubs clubs in the world backed by nation states. Its inevitable.

If you want to get to the final of CL regularly then you pick one of Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona. If you look at the rebuild required at Madrid and Barcelona and the endless resources of Abu Dhabi and Qatar then Bayern, City and PSG are your best bets. However history of a club and its shirt can play a huge role. So who knows?

troylocker

Who knows? If the lad wants CL every season and to get to the final fairly regularly then PSG are a legitimate choice. PSG and City will win the CL eventually and then will win it multiple times after that. They are the two richest clubs clubs in the world backed by nation states. Its inevitable.

If you want to get to the final of CL regularly then you pick one of Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona. If you look at the rebuild required at Madrid and Barcelona and the endless resources of Abu Dhabi and Qatar then Bayern, City and PSG are your best bets. However history of a club and its shirt can play a huge role. So who knows?
Did you see how he was part of the Norwegian pro human rights campaign against Qatar yesterday? This might raise awareness around sportswashing and make it a lot harder to sign for PSG and City, unless you wanna be seen as ignorant or cynical. Hard to wear the "Human rights, on and off the pitch" and "Respect, on and off the pitch" t-shirts with the NT and sign for Abu Dhabi or Qatar without looking extremely bad.

Kaos

Can we exclude Chelsea as well, given Abramovic's ties to Putin?
Didn't seem to exclude ribbon-donning Guardiola joining a club run by slavers and human rights despots. I obviously don't know Haaland personally so can't objectively say where he stands on the human issues, but I'd wager most footballing professionals couldn't give a toss when it comes to that sort of thing, certainly not at the expense of a huge paycheck, consistent European football and a chance of silverware.

dinostar77

Did you see how he was part of the Norwegian pro human rights campaign against Qatar yesterday? This might raise awareness around sportswashing and make it a lot harder to sign for PSG and City, unless you wanna be seen as ignorant or cynical. Hard to wear the "Human rights, on and off the pitch" and "Respect, on and off the pitch" t-shirts with the NT and sign for Abu Dhabi or Qatar without looking extremely bad.
No i didnt. Had no idea. Then again he might change his mind when hes offered 500k a week or something stupid like that. Point was we dont know, we can speculate. As much as i love Utd if i was a professional footballer at the elite level with no affinity to Utd, I'd go to the club id have most chance of winning the big prizes with and currently unfortunately thats not Utd.

Then again I'd have much more respect for the likes of Mbappe/Haaland if they said, I'm not going to try to follow in CR7/Messi footsteps. I'm going to make history at a different club and create impossible records of my own i.e. dont go signing for Barcelona or Madrid.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Which variables are you talking about?

The Spanish press' coverage of the Norwegian camp in Marbella has garnered a lot of attention in Norway, they wonder if it's a sign of it being a real possibility that he will sign for one of the big two or if it just their mouthpieces being delusional about their club's chances of signing him. Personally I don't see Spain as an option unless Real manages to convince both Ødegaard and Haaland to spearhead Real's future together.
There are some indications that seem to show Haaland and Madrid are very interested in each other as well as big consensus among the best sources close to the club. I rarely see that much of a consensus from these sources unless the news has substance.

My two main reservations are the following ones:

1) Raiola. You never know what to expect from him.
2) Mbappe. I have the impression that in similar economic conditions Real Madrid would prefer the Frenchman, and he just has one year left on his contract.

Regarding Ødegaard and Haaland as a pair, it could be the case that Real Madrid hire a new manager next season, so we'll see.

Le Red

What if you want to play in the Premier League, the most popular foreign league in your country, where your dad used to play?
So yeah, who knows, but we're only out of the picture if we're not willing to go the extra mile for him.
As long as we are competitive in negotiations, we'll be a strong suitor.

Le Red

Nobody will give a damn about the shirt if he signs for these clubs. He'll get some stick on the Caf and that's it.
These guys can commit as much atrocities as they want because they are rich enough to do so and get away with it.
Human rights violation didn't stop people buying stuff from China, and it won't stop people from watching the World Cup on Qatar, or Norway playing on it should they qualify.
The only instance I know of a player refusing to go to a tournament because of human rights violation was Cruyff in Argentina 78 so hats off to him. This is rare.
Long story short, that shirt almost certainly won't hold any weight on his decision. It's not like he was the one who made the shirt either.

RobertoBaggio99

What if you want to play in the Premier League, the most popular foreign league in your country, where your dad used to play?
His dad who played for Leeds and City. If he hates his dad then sure, we're in with a shout.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Solskjaer must be trusted that he has a plan to bring a player with whom he has a long standing personal and professional relationship. The transfer process has only begun.
Apparently Ole chats to him often! Not sure if any of it is football related though

dinostar77

So yeah, who knows, but we're only out of the picture if we're not willing to go the extra mile for him.
As long as we are competitive in negotiations, we'll be a strong suitor.
Thats presuming the club want him. We know Ole wants him. Thats no secret. Theres been nothing in the press about us having any sort of negotiations, whereas you read about Madrid, PSG, City all having talks. Besides we can't get riola to open discussions over a contract extention for pogba (which he won't sign) nevermind haaland. The only thing we do hear about from the more reliable journalists is that recruiting a CB is the primary target this summer and funds are limited (Ole said the latter himself).

Anyway personally i dont think we are a strong suitor. Right now there are better clubs to go to to develop yourself and challenge for the highest honours. Which is a shame and says alot about where Utd are right now.

Matriac

Thats presuming the club want him. We know Ole wants him. Thats no secret. Theres been nothing in the press about us having any sort of negotiations, whereas you read about Madrid, PSG, City all having talks. Besides we can't get riola to open discussions over a contract extention for pogba (which he won't sign) nevermind haaland. The only thing we do hear about from the more reliable journalists is that recruiting a CB is the primary target this summer and funds are limited (Ole said the latter himself).

Anyway personally i dont think we are a strong suitor. Right now there are better clubs to go to to develop yourself and challenge for the highest honours. Which is a shame and says alot about where Utd are right now.
Raiola has said that they are willing to talk about a new contract.
It's us that haven't officially started negotiations over a new contract. We don't want that distraction now until the season is over.

I'm sure Ole has told Pogba that we are keen to keep him here as long as Pogba still has the desire and we can agree on terms. So he's not worried about his future.

In the summer they will see how many clubs are willing to buy him now, and we can gauge Pogba's willingness to sign up for the continued project as he (hopefully) also sees who else we are signing in the summer. It's the cleanest possible process that will make both parties happy.
We could probably have persuaded him to sign mid season, but then we'd have to offer even more money I believe.

Ole can easily speak to Haaland and his father (they are mates) without going through official channels before proper negotiations start. So there's nothing to report in the media for now.
I'm 100% certain Haaland's team will inform us if they start proper negotiations with any club, it's in their best interest to do so. Plus the Haaland's want to remain on friendly terms with Ole no matter where they decide to go.

RUCK4444

Yeah same. I think we have to strike this summer if it’s going to happen.

It’s one of those transfers that come along now and again that can shape our success (or lack of) for the next few years. One of those transfers Fergie would have made sure happened, we can’t let him go to a league rival.

RkkMan

I’m thinking United could if we make a load of sales on deadwood.
He'd be our only signing as there's no chance we'd be able to add a CB and DM on top of that. As good as Haaland is sacrificing other bigger holes for him isn't worth it IMO

Cloud7

If we don’t get him this summer we don’t get him at all I think. Next summer he becomes affordable to every team in the world, which negates the financial situation at the Spanish clubs etc. Our only chance at him next summer would be if we magically start challenging for the league and CL next season and actually start looking like a team a top player would want to come to. It’s this summer or never.

Bwuk

180m euros is what, 150m pounds?

I can’t see anyone having the cash to spend that on one player this summer, unless PSG or City just say f*ck it and get him.

City haven’t spent anywhere near that on a single player yet though, and I think PSG perhaps go for Salah.

Marcus

He has a buyout clause €75 million next year. Unlike Sancho, Dortmund's bargaining power is weak. Watch the bids go in at the last minute this summer - €100 million max. We should throw the Sancho fee we were willing to pay at them. Haaland is the real deal.

NoLogo

He has a buyout clause €75 million next year. Unlike Sancho, Dortmund's bargaining power is weak. Watch the bids go in at the last minute this summer - €100 million max. We should throw the Sancho fee we were willing to pay at them. Haaland is the real deal.
This seems to be old news. Watzke has denied such a clause exists. Unless he was lying about it and it has been confirmed from more trustworthy sources that the buyout clause indeed exists, we have to assume he won't be much cheaper the year after.

Another point is that we need a world class striker right now if we want to get back to the top and like I said before 180M € is about what Mbappé cost PSG so I wouldn't say the asking price is completely out of order. It's still an insane amount of money to spend on a single player, no doubt.

cyberman

Thats a feck off for now price. Means we can get Sancho this year and make a good run at presenting ourselves as an elite prospect for him next summer.

RkkMan

Your logic will only apply if they don't get CL football but with it they are still in a strong position to keep him or sell only for a premium fee BVB are a selling club but not as desperate as people think. Their project is worth more than the profits hence why they sold Dembele for 150m even when he handed in a transfer request and why they were firm on Sancho and speaking of Sancho he's leaving this summer and as @Zehner told me last summer BVB are all about PR it'll be disastrous for them to sell both their stars in the same summer so unless a catastrophic financial disaster happens they'll sell Sancho and keep Haaland till 2022

Jericholyte2

Would we all accept blowing the entire summer budget (and then some) on just getting Haaland with no other incomings?

peridigm

Would we all accept blowing the entire summer budget (and then some) on just getting Haaland with no other incomings?
We need goals but we also need so much more. Haaland without improving our RW, MF, or defense will not be the same.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody is spending 180m this summer, it's just ludicrous to even think it.

If Dortmund really have (I doubt it) set that figure then they'll just have to wait until next season and lose him for a cut price.

Honestly buying Sancho this summer, then Haaland next could work out to be perfect for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.