Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

Reasons he won't go to city
1. Transfer fee: City don't pay 100+ for players.
2. Haaland wages and Mino commission: He will demand wages of over 300k, city won't break their wage structure for him.
3. Pep and Mino dispute: Pep and Mino hate each other, Pep already has a very good squad, he isn't in a desperate situation, I don't see why he would want to accommodate Mino.
4. City tactics and Haaland profile: Sure Haaland would score a tonne of goals at city, but his skill set aren't a perfect fit for Pep set up, you could just use City games against United over the past two seasons as an example, their better performance and results were without a striker. They're more fluid and less predictable that way. As good as Haaland is he would just be another tactical tool under Pep, Pep prefers his main man to be someone that facilitate his team play like Messi or De bruyne not the Haaland type. So he'll get rotated more than he'll like, creating the Mino problem.
I think Haaland is there for the taking to which ever team willing to bend over backwards to Mino demands, even though many sides are currently eyeing him I feel no one might actually go all out for him this summer, he'll be very costly when you factor in Transfer fee + Wages + Mino commission. More likely he'll go to a team more desperate for a big player than city are when he eventually moves.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd love the club to just come out and say we're not signing him this summer, because lets face it we aren't, instead of allowing us to be dragged along this merry dance.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he’ll stay for a year go to Bayern in 2022 to replace Lewa. Can’t see him going to City or PSG, can anyone else afford him? Chelsea maybe?

RedorDead21

I'd love the club to just come out and say we're not signing him this summer, because lets face it we aren't, instead of allowing us to be dragged along this merry dance.
Pretty much the same as Pep then but no one believes him anyway...

Mate, if your girlfriend goes to a fit blokes house, what are the chances she didn't shag him? Zero, now imagine that with Haaland and Pep's house.

This is all the evidence we need

Haaland 50 goals next season for City, quintuple winners, United relegated.
:lol::lol:

theklr

I thought Madrid and Bayern would be the other contenders but they have Benzema and Lewandowski respectively.
Neither of them will last more than 2 seasons tops , and injuries will start coming more frequently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Neither of them will last more than 2 seasons tops , and injuries will start coming more frequently.
Yes but Haaland is moving in summer 2022 not two years later. Lewandowski will remain a starter a year from now

Adcuth

Mate, if your girlfriend goes to a fit blokes house, what are the chances she didn't shag him? Zero, now imagine that with Haaland and Pep's house.

This is all the evidence we need

Haaland 50 goals next season for City, quintuple winners, United relegated.
What if the fit bloke is gay?

Also, I'm not arsed if pep shags Haaland, I'm arsed if he wants his club to sign him to play football there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I disagree, it might solve our striker issues for at least 5 years. And if he keeps up his form, it would more than offset whatever other issues we have.
Issues in other areas are a big reason he probably wont keep up his scoring record for us.

Raven

I think Haaland is a talent but agree to some extent. He's going to have huge expectation due to his hype for whichever club he signs for.
There was a touch of the Lukaku's about him, for me. Very clumsy on the ball, doesn't move around or press much, mainly relies on his ridiculous physical attributes to overpower or outpace defenders. I'd still support him coming here but his style isn't really my cup of tea.

justsomebloke

"One great chance that he missed" can also be described as: outpacing and outmuscling Dias, who had a clear head start on him. Dias clipped his heal in the fall, and Haaland lost balance, so the goalie could close the angle. Didn't go for a penalty.
This. That was my favorite moment in the game. That has not happened a lot to Ruben Dias this season, I'll bet that put the fear of God into him.

justsomebloke

There was a touch of the Lukaku's about him, for me. Very clumsy on the ball, doesn't move around or press much, mainly relies on his ridiculous physical attributes to overpower or outpace defenders. I'd still support him coming here but his style isn't really my cup of tea.
Yeah, or maybe you should assume there might be more to it than you registered watching a single game on the telly.

He's not clumsy on the ball, but on the contrary pretty good with it. His movement is a big forte. He is usually also very active on the press, though less than usual yesterday.

To compare him to Lukaku is ludicruous. His speed is in a totally different league than Lukaku. His movement is much, much better. To say nothing of his technique and passing.

I don't really think he has a comparable, but if you're going to make one anyway, I'd rather opt for Cavani. Both like to drop back, get involved in the build-up play and rely on a combination of clever movement, speed, muscle and finishing ability for their goals. But he is already arguably a better player than Cavani was in his prime.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

This approach would do no good for our media interactions.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ole has always specifically said he wants players who want to be here. Not sure I get that with Haaland, despite his close relationship with Ole.

phenry

So much negativity here...... We're second in the league, we're good enough for a top player like Haaland to think he can be the difference between second and first, Im sure he respects Ole as a manager, and the muppet in me says its on.........

DSG

Totally agree. A 20 year old, 6’4” giant who runs like the wind and can out muscle most any CB in the world, scores bags of goals in the highest levels of competition, has sublime movement inside the box and in the final third. Basically, Zlatan 2.0. Why would we need him when we’ve got Tony Martial?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There is something slightly sour about the thought of a player being hawked around with the intention of going to whoever lavishes the most riches his way, but we don't know for sure that this is the case. Apart from his big mouth the thing I dislike about Raiola is the way he manages to make his players look like mercenaries.

Walters_19_MuFc

There is something slightly sour about the thought of a player being hawked around with the intention of going to whoever lavishes the most riches his way, but we don't know for sure that this is the case. Apart from his big mouth the thing I dislike about Raiola is the way he manages to make his players look like mercenaries.
Reminds me of the Hazard situation all those years back. Ended up tweeting it.

red_de_pologne

The club wants to be associated with this saga, creates an illusion we're capable of doing such a transfer, when the reality is we've no chance. But it looks like we're among the top players battling for his signature.

Judas

Open to offers
The club wants to be associated with this saga, creates an illusion we're capable of doing such a transfer, when the reality is we've no chance. But it looks like we're among the top players battling for his signature.
Yep I know, we're happy to be part of the chat, gets the clicks, interactions, all part of the media game.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
He has an efficient first touch that allows a fast release. If he was that clumsy he wouldn't score every 62 min in the CL. Unless defenders were ducklings. Has had dip in form recently for sure.

Has improved his build-up play since joining BVB. I mean this bloke is 20, and he's taken every league seamlessly, a proof that he learns fast.

I think without Sancho their attack looks a tad predictable. They need all their firepower to overcome defensive lapses. Will be a fun game.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
personally I find that pretty normal - the only real difference being how publicly this plays out
Im sure top actors have their agents lining up work in a similar way - Im sure if a top banker or a leading company executive has decided the time is right for a move they have a recruitment agent networking with potential employers gauging interest and testing expectations / offers before deciding which two or three opportunities to sit down and interview for ... all of these roles are well remunerated - the people applying for them will already be really rich but I suspect the salary and surrounding package will be high on all of their criteria - i dont get this idea that professional sportspeople should approach things differently

King7Eric

Pep literally came out and said City won't sign a CF and yet no one believes him. Why would it be different if Ole does the same?

People blame agents and clubs for creating drama regarding transfers but it's the people themselves that feed into the hype by choosing not to believe the managers and technical directors when they speak the truth.

theklr

People blame agents and clubs for creating drama regarding transfers but it's the people themselves that feed into the hype by choosing not to believe the managers and technical directors when they speak the truth.
Pep probably wouldnt say "yes, we are doing everything we can to get him" a long time before the transfer window even open.

That would just distract attention, create lots of hype he would be asked about, and weaken their hand if there was to be any negotiation.

Did Ole once say we wanted Sancho last year, even though we so obviously tried?

King7Eric

Pep probably wouldnt say "yes, we are doing everything we can to get him" a long time before the transfer window even open.

That would just distract attention, create lots of hype he would be asked about, and weaken their hand if there was to be any negotiation.

Did Ole once say we wanted Sancho last year, even though we so obviously tried?
Ole also didn't specifically say we won't be signing a RW. And Dortmund repeatedly said he won't be sold unless their set price was met, and yet people didn't believe that either.

Pep could easily have said the standard " I don't speak about other club's players". He categorically said they won't sign a striker, and still people won't believe him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
personally I find that pretty normal - the only real difference being how publicly this plays out
Im sure top actors have their agents lining up work in a similar way - Im sure if a top banker or a leading company executive has decided the time is right for a move they have a recruitment agent networking with potential employers gauging interest and testing expectations / offers before deciding which two or three opportunities to sit down and interview for ... all of these roles are well remunerated - the people applying for them will already be really rich but I suspect the salary and surrounding package will be high on all of their criteria - i dont get this idea that professional sportspeople should approach things differently
That's a pretty robotic way of looking at professional sports. Its nothing like casting a movie or joining a firm. These players are going to be hero worshipped by millions of fans who would like to have at least something to fake-convince themselves that he gives as much of a shit about your club as you do.

justsomebloke

Because it is totally different. Banks and corporations just have to hire people with the right skills to make money. Pretty much nobody outside their immediate colleagues know or care who they are, as long as the money's coming in.

Football players bring in money too, but - crucially - only because literally millions of people know and care deeply about what they do. The people who buy tickets, subscribe to TV packages and buy merchandise. The board of a bank, or its shareholders, or its investors, couldn't care less if a broker hates the firm and works there only because the money is good. With football it's not so simple - a football fan would never accept that attitude from a player. Something different is expected. And though that something may often amount to less than people like to think, it still matters, and it doesn't do you good to be seen as making such choices based too overtly on wages.

Also, while you can be a first-rate investment banker if you're motivated solely by your own personal financial profit, you really can't be an optimal footballer on that basis. Among other things, because football - unlike investment banking - is a team game. And also because success in football is not defined by how much money you make. Which means that to really succeed, you need to have primary commitment to team success. A footballer whose primary focus is on his own earning power simply won't be a good footballer (relative to his potential). Hence, people are absolutely right to hold it against a player if he is too focussed on that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because it is totally different. Banks and corporations just have to hire people with the right skills to make money. Pretty much nobody outside their immediate colleagues know or care who they are, as long as the money's coming in.

Football players bring in money too, but - crucially - only because literally millions of people know and care deeply about what they do. The people who buy tickets, subscribe to TV packages and buy merchandise. The board of a bank, or its shareholders, or its investors, couldn't care less if a broker hates the firm and works there only because the money is good. With football it's not so simple - a football fan would never accept that attitude from a player. Something different is expected. And though that something may often amount to less than people like to think, it still matters, and it doesn't do you good to be seen as making such choices based too overtly on wages.

Also, while you can be a first-rate investment banker if you're motivated solely by your own personal financial profit, you really can't be an optimal footballer on that basis. Among other things, because football - unlike investment banking - is a team game. And also because success in football is not defined by how much money you make. Which means that to really succeed, you need to have primary commitment to team success. A footballer whose primary focus is on his own earning power simply won't be a good footballer (relative to his potential). Hence, people are absolutely right to hold it against a player if he is too focussed on that.
Exactly. Also, you can it as pure business or transactional. But for many, there's is often a romance between club/fans and players that you cannot compare to an actor and getting a role/gig. I know this generation is obsessed with many club men like Zlatan as being in fashion but football is littered with great stories of players and clubs often intertwining into something more than a mere financial deal - see Totti and Roma, Charlton/Giggs/Sir Alex/Sir Matt and Manchester United, and many more. Players often become part of the fabric of clubs. So while you can try to draw that analogy (film agents etc ) , let's not pretend football is always that bland and transactional. Of course there has always be a deal involving money but there's often more than that, and those are the things that make people fall in love with the game.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can’t believe Daniel Craig is staying for another season of James Bond, time to move him on!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Excellent post.

Adcuth

So much negativity here...... We're second in the league, we're good enough for a top player like Haaland to think he can be the difference between second and first, Im sure he respects Ole as a manager, and the muppet in me says its on.........
The price tag says its not. Have no trust in Ed to even place a bid

Raven

Totally agree. A 20 year old, 6’4” giant who runs like the wind and can out muscle most any CB in the world, scores bags of goals in the highest levels of competition, has sublime movement inside the box and in the final third. Basically, Zlatan 2.0. Why would we need him when we’ve got Tony Martial?
"Zlatan 2.0"? Not for me.

The Purley King

Reasons he won't go to city
2. Haaland wages and Mino commission: He will demand wages of over 300k, city won't break their wage structure for him.
Nobody knows what City's wage structure actually is. KdB signed a new contract recently and you can bet that wasn't for anything less than £350-400k a week. Then you have to consider the under the table payments.
City can easily afford him.

Status
Not open for further replies.