Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

Gutted that we missed out on Bellingham he looks a player. Hopefully we will get him when he finally leaves dortmund.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Striker struggles when a team can't create chances for him, shocker.
There's no point in us buying him if we don't surround him with reliable playmakers, hence a RW is more priority than a striker.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There's no point in us buying him if we don't surround him with reliable playmakers, hence a RW is more priority than a striker.
Correct and what I’ve also been calling for. The Haaland we see now is the one United will get for the most part if they don’t add more creativity from the wings first.

Chief123

Do you guys just completely ignore the huge chances we create which Rashford and Martial have consistently missed? Were those chances created out of thin air?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah these games should adjust some people's expectations of him and further proof maybe not to read too much into Bundesliga form

As I've said all along and has been shown in these games he's absolutely not what Pep wants from a CF

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Raiola and his dad went on a public sales mission when his value was peaking, now they're out of the CL and struggling to finish top 4, much less of a chance to keep that hype train going.

Is it reported that he actually is expecting 1m a week?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Some of the names being mentioned: DCL, Bamford just make me weep. It’ll be Puuki next

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Do you guys just completely ignore the huge chances we create which Rashford and Martial have consistently missed? Were those chances created out of thin air?
Do you also see the amount of times our strikers get very little touches on the ball? Not for want of trying either, both Cavani & Martial make intelligent runs all game, but we only have Bruno or Pogba capable of picking them out.
The point remains we need more playmakers in our squad, and our RW is still a problem.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Raiola and his dad went on a public sales mission when his value was peaking, now they're out of the CL and struggling to finish top 4, much less of a chance to keep that hype train going.

Is it reported that he actually is expecting 1m a week?
He has been quoted as saying he won’t move simply for money or he wouldn’t have gone to BD. Think Ole knows more about what the lad wants but because he has such a good relationship with him and his family, he isn’t going to let business jeopardise that

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To just point to lack of chances he's had in these two games would be a very narrow minded view of his performances across the two legs, he didn't put himself about in either game, never ran the channels or press the City CB's. Two very anonymous performances

Idxomer

Some of the names being mentioned: DCL, Bamford just make me weep. It’ll be Puuki next
Frankly, the strikers market is dire.

All the truly class ones are the old guard (Kane, Lewandowski, and Benzema). Haaland is a work in progress.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To just point to lack of chances he's had in these two games would be a very narrow minded view of his performances across the two legs, he didn't put himself about in either game, never ran the channels or press the City CB's. Two very anonymous performances
Isolated against two CB's, and nobody to play 1-2's with, or build link up play with to find space, because he usually does that with Sancho. Not really a surprise to see why he struggled.

Chief123

Do you also see the amount of times our strikers get very little touches on the ball? Not for want of trying either, both Cavani & Martial make intelligent runs all game, but we only have Bruno or Pogba capable of picking them out.
The point remains we need more playmakers in our squad, and our RW is still a problem.
We are 2nd highest scorers in the league and have the player who has created the most chances in the league and still miss a hell of a lot of chances. But yeah, we need to create more chances...

..more like get a striker who will finish them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We are 2nd highest scorers in the league and have the player who has created the most chances in the league and still miss a hell of a lot of chances. But yeah, we need to create more chances...

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Haaland thrives by attacking the space with through balls in space (which rarely happens without Pogba getting the ball from deep), or from crosses. United is not great at crossing, and they don’t face a lot of open spaces as teams tend to sit back. So in this case you need a Sancho (Rashford too inconsistent as a creator) to come from the wings and either cross or break down a player or two and provide the final ball.

United is not incapable of creating chances, but they don’t create enough of the chances that Haaland thrives on IMO. Also Haaland’s stats are a bit inflated and were at an unsustainable rate. This is just a correction now.

UTD_Since_1978

I've already said, if we sign Haaland then we must sign Sancho as well, can't see it happening though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Stats like that alone without context don't necessarily tell the whole picture, for example, I wouldn't be surprised if the Southampton game alone skews that number.
And yes, there's nothing wrong with wanting a team to create more chances or add players who are capable of creating chances - it doesn't mean we don't buy a striker ever, just that the RW is more of a priority.

Utd7

He got exposed by Pep. I doubt he’d score at the same clip in England. Haaland could be a byproduct of the soft Bundesliga.

Thiagoal

Was literally about to post this exact same message! The narrative that we are boring to watch and poor at creating chances needs to stop! Haaland would have a field day with Greenwood, Pogba and Bruno picking out his runs

Welbeckham

United is not incapable of creating chances, but they don’t create enough of the chances that Haaland thrives on IMO.
Maybe that’s because we don’t have anyone to create those chances for? Martial is not active enough and Cavani is not quick enough.

Putting the ball behind the defence isn’t the hardest thing in football. Having a striker who can beat top defenders for pace and strenght and score those chances is rare.

Obviously, we face a lot of teams who sit deep, but I’m convinced that wouldn’t stop Håland, as long as he gets enough of the ball.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
His agent wont want to sent him to Spain yet. Similar to Pogba. He will want him to do a few years in the PL and then make another fortune moving him to Spain.

Idxomer

Not sure why people are surprised. The boys a goalscorer. If he's not given chances, he's pretty much non-existent.
Is that enough though in the current era?

3 of the 4 teams in the CL semis don't have a recognized striker and the 4th team has probably the greatest link-up striker of all time.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Maybe that’s because we don’t have anyone to create those chances for? Martial is not active enough and Cavani is not quick enough.

Putting the ball behind the defence isn’t the hardest thing in football. Having a striker who can beat top defenders for pace and strenght and score those chances is rare.

Obviously, we face a lot of teams who sit deep, but I’m convinced that wouldn’t stop Håland, as long as he gets enough of the ball.
Don’t get me wrong, if Haaland is available, I’d go for it regardless of the current team set up, just not at the price quoted. Sancho is definitely available this summer, and he’d provide a much stronger base so that if Haaland is still at Dortmund and has to wait next summer for his move, he can see a United side that has creativity from both wings and midfield. He would validate his reputation much easier this way.

Nick.

You guys are so fickle. He is a machine and has gone through a bad patch of form the last month and all of a sudden he is way overrated?

Y'all remember he's just 20 years old right?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There's going to be a lot of hot takes in here tonight.
Yep

City cut off all ball circulation to him, forcing him to go deep to touch the ball.

I think in a team that dominates the football he would be a cheat code. In a team that relies on the break it would be possible to cut him out of the game unless he became more well rounded like Kane

VivaRonaldo85

Reminded me of a slightly thinner lukaku over the two legs. A ruthless finisher with the left peg but doesn’t offer much else. That being said, he cannot be assessed over two games and i’d still have him in a heartbeat.

spiriticon

You guys are so fickle. He is a machine and has gone through a bad patch of form the last month and all of a sudden he is way overrated?

He's overrated by his own prick of an agent.

£150 million? Give me a break.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Read somewhere that if Inter were late on their installments of 4.3m, we could demand all the rest in one go (43.2m).
I don't watch much of Inter, if at all, but he doesn't seem particularly prolific?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Hard to run the channels when City's back line is sat damned near the half line, compressing the pitch.

I do agree he can work on ways of impacting the game more but City played him perfectly with his current skillset.

mu4c_20le

Best case scenario is that his stock lowers a bit so we could actually afford him

I don't watch much of Inter, if at all, but he doesn't seem particularly prolific?
He's not, he's more of a second striker.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Same happened with our fans and Greenwood this year, young players always have their ups and downs. Some players take until their mid 20s to become consistent. When you're dealing with players in their late teens and early 20s you need a bit of patience.

cyberman

Really not sure about him. His whole reputation is based off an insane goal rate. That is slowing down and what is really left?

Welbeckham

Don’t get me wrong, if Haaland is available, I’d go for it regardless of the current team set up, just not at the price quoted. Sancho is definitely available this summer, and he’d provide a much stronger base so that if Haaland is still at Dortmund and has to wait next summer for his move, he can see a United side that has creativity from both wings and midfield. He would validate his reputation much easier this way.
I personally think that getting both is extremely unrealistic and as a player, Håland offers something more unique, more valuable, than Sancho does. Every single team in the world craves for a player like Van Nistelrooy with speed, whereas Sancho could be a generational talent as well, but there are much more doubts over his capability to cut it outside Bundesliga.

Status
Not open for further replies.