Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsforever

Fastest to 50 goals in top 5 leagues (all comps) in recent times:

This is probably the most insane stat I have seen in football. How is this possible for a 20 year old attacker. We have maybe never seen a striker like this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is probably the most insane stat I have seen in football. How is this possible for a 20 year old attacker. We have maybe never seen a striker like this.
Bundasliga will do that. I actually think it makes Suarez Liverpool form pretty fecking impressive.

Giggsforever

Bundasliga will do that. I actually think it makes Suarez Liverpool form pretty fecking impressive.
It is rally impressive by Suarez, but it's not even close. The German league is good, he was 19 starting at Dortmund and he has similar stats in the CL. He is the new phenomenon. If it's so simple, why has no one ever done it before in history...

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
If it's because of Bundesliga you'ld expect the list to be inflated with strikers from that league, and it isn't.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It is rally impressive by Suarez, but it's not even close. The German league is good, he was 19 starting at Dortmund and he has similar stats in the CL. He is the new phenomenon. If it's so simple, why has no one ever done it before in history...
It's impressive, but I do take it with a grain of salt in this ultra-offensive Bundesliga. Lewandowski's got 11 more goals in the same amount of games, Andre Silva is just one goal behind him. His age makes it impressive, but the fact that there's other players right around his output as well in the league shows it's tailored for strikers to perform at their best.

Giggsforever

It's impressive, but I do take it with a grain of salt in this ultra-offensive Bundesliga. Lewandowski's got 11 more goals in the same amount of games, Andre Silva is just one goal behind him. His age makes it impressive, but the fact that there's other players right around his output as well in the league shows it's tailored for strikers to perform at their best.
By that logic Mbappe is no better tham Depay

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah Gekas was the Bundesliga's top scorer once and nobody's even heard of him.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Half the games Lewa needed in the same club, in the same league, so can not be that bad.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That people find stuff like this proof of someone being a "top bloke" is funny.

A "Top bloke" can give them 200 fecking grand, he's done the bare minimum and fair play for him not being a cnut.
People who find the negative in everything are exhausting. A friendly tip.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I have a rather good feeling that comparing Gekas and Haaland is going to look rather stupid after some years. Haaland is the top scorer in CL too. He has scored 45 goals this season. 10 CL, 25 Bundesliga, 6 for Norway, 3 DFB pocal, 1 Supercup, 2 friendlies. I would not even start comparing the two. Gekas had 13 goals in 50 games for Leverkusen, and 23 in 48 for Frankfurt. And in those periods he was between 27 and 32 years old..

Edit: In Bochum 20 goals in 32. And Gekas was 26 years. And this was the best he ever performed. Haaland has been scoring like a madman his whole career.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I have a rather good feeling that comparing Gekas and Haaland is going to look rather stupid after some years. Haaland is the top scorer in CL too. He has scored 45 goals this season. 10 CL, 25 Bundesliga, 6 for Norway, 3 DFB pocal, 1 Supercup, 2 friendlies. I would not even start comparing the two. Gekas had 13 goals in 50 games for Leverkusen, and 23 in 48 for Frankfurt. And in those periods he was between 27 and 32 years old..
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying the Bundesliga probably isn't a good league to use for stats for strikers.

DoomSlayer

Does anyone else think he won't be moving this summer? I can't see it happening with the current situation in football. Maybe it will be good for football if these kinds of players stay at their clubs and improve competition all around, instead of the big clubs buying every top player that emerges.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Edit: In Bochum 20 goals in 32. And Gekas was 26 years. And this was the best he ever performed. Haaland has been scoring like a madman his whole career.
But that wasn't a comparison between two players but output in a league, and I don't want to diminish what Haaland is doing because his CL record is extraordinary, and that's an argument there's no getting around, but it's important to also put some context in the league output so that there aren't massively unreasonable expectations on him if/when he moves to a new league and doesn't necessarily hit the ground running. This is a young guy, I'm sure he's got an elite mentality, but he's still a young player that can go sideways before any of us knows it because of too much hype.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying the Bundesliga probably isn't a good league to use for stats for strikers.
This is a conclusion that is to easy to make I think. There are more goals scored in the Bundesliga, yes. But not more than 0,5 more per match. And if you play for a top team in England, surely there are plenty enough chances to score there as well. Dortmund has scored same amount as United I believe. 66? And Haaland is one of the most effective. I do not see why using Bundesliga stats are not ok. It is a top 5 league.

He was the fastest to reach 20 goals in the CL too... People are just trying to find excuses for his goals. But Haaland will not stop scoring if he comes to the PL either. He will score wherever he goes.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
But that wasn't a comparison between two players but output in a league, and I don't want to diminish what Haaland is doing because his CL record is extraordinary, and that's an argument there's no getting around, but it's important to also put some context in the league output so that there aren't massively unreasonable expectations on him if/when he moves to a new league and doesn't necessarily hit the ground running. This is a young guy, I'm sure he's got an elite mentality, but he's still a young player that can go sideways before any of us knows it because of too much hype.
Of course. I agree with you on these matters. But the way I see Haaland, he will improve. Only injuries will stop him imo. Of course he will have periods where he struggles, like he had for the first time in his career now earlier. But in my opinion, he is too athletic, too hungry, too clinical to just stop scoring plenty of goals. I do believe he will struggle more without his speed though. That will happen when he reaches 30 years approx. I guess.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Of course. I agree with you on these matters. But the way I see Haaland, he will improve. Only injuries will stop him imo. Of course he will have periods where he struggles, like he had for the first time in his career now earlier. But in my opinion, he is too athletic, too hungry, too clinical to just stop scoring plenty of goals. I do believe he will struggle more without his speed though. That will happen when he reaches 30 years approx. I guess.
I think by then he will have found ways to be more dangerous without it. He already has a great sense of where to be in the box, when to make that little burst of speed. I'm not as worried about him when he's going to lose his athleticism, and honestly I think he can keep it into his early 30's the way athletes take care of themselves now.

Btw, I just saw Haaland's second goal against Wolfsburg today, and that kind of illustrates the point about the Bundesliga being a young and pacy striker's wet dream. I just don't see those kinds of goals in the 66th minute of a game anywhere else in Europe, not that I can recall at least.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That's like saying Kevin Phillips was once top scorer of the EPL and discrediting the EPL for it.

The important thing to consider for both examples, they were the top scorer ONCE.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bundesliga clearly helps inflates his stats. Wisest move for him is to go to a team that dominates and creates tons of chances. I can still see him banging in goals for City and Psg. Barca too if Messi stays

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC

Yeah, it's the usual knee-jerk reaction that it's all because of the super weak Bundesliga.
Overall he has 38 goals in 41 Bundesliga matches, 2 goals in 4 German cup matches but 20 goals in 16 CL matches. So if anything he's scored at a lower rate in German competitions.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Btw, I just saw Haaland's second goal against Wolfsburg today, and that kind of illustrates the point about the Bundesliga being a young and pacy striker's wet dream. I just don't see those kinds of goals in the 66th minute of a game anywhere else in Europe, not that I can recall at least.
[/QUOTE]

Wolfsburg pushed high to get an equalizer in a super important match. Dahoud put a brilliant through-ball for Haaland to use his crazy pace on.

Counter attacks in games like this isn't a strange thing.

He'sRaldo

What on earth is going on there?! Where's the defence? And against Haaland at that!

People who find the negative in everything are exhausting. A friendly tip.
I think he’s done well and said “fair play” but giving away a few shirts aint proof he’s a top bloke, stop trying to find the negative in my post. There’s no negative in the story of a footballer doing exactly what you’d hope and expect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah it shows Haaland has burst on to the scene early and is a ruthless striker. But from reading that list, I'm most impressed by how quickly Suarez adapted to the PL and hit 50 goals so quickly for Liverpool more than anything else.
If it's because of Bundesliga you'ld expect the list to be inflated with strikers from that league, and it isn't.
Well no, because it's just 2-3 top teams followed by a big gap for the rest.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
What on earth is going on there?! Where's the defence? And against Haaland at that!
Yeah, on closer inspection they weren't around. Looks like it was central midfielder Arnold who was caught flatfooted well into BVBs half. And left defender Baku playing catch-up. No chance.

Frankfurt down 2. Looks like a dream round for Dortmund.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Wolfsburg pushed high to get an equalizer in a super important match. Dahoud put a brilliant through-ball for Haaland to use his crazy pace on.

Counter attacks in games like this isn't a strange thing.
You don't push that high in the 66th minute of a game that's only separated by a goal when you have a counter-attacking beast like Haaland. This wasn't a brilliant through ball, it was a well done but easy cut through a defense that was impossibly high at that point in the game. It's a strange thing in that I don't see it in any of the other top 5 leagues at the 66th minute of a game. Maybe the last few minutes, but nowhere near that early.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Bundesliga clearly helps inflates his stats. Wisest move for him is to go to a team that dominates and creates tons of chances. I can still see him banging in goals for City and Psg. Barca too if Messi stays
How does this work when he has like 20 goals in 15 cl games scored against the likes of Liverpool napoli psg sevilla etc
It's not just the bundesliga where he's scoring for fun.

flappyjay

If anybody wants to buy him this summer they will have to pay crazy money for him. Dortmund depend on him too much.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How does this work when he has like 20 goals in 15 cl games scored against the likes of Liverpool napoli psg sevilla etc
It's not just the bundesliga where he's scoring for fun.
Those type of games are open like the Bundesliga. The main doubt with Haaland is that be will struggle in a league that is less open and teams are more defensive but I don't see that being the case if he goes to a team like City where they create chances with ease

Dve

I think by then he will have found ways to be more dangerous without it. He already has a great sense of where to be in the box, when to make that little burst of speed. I'm not as worried about him when he's going to lose his athleticism, and honestly I think he can keep it into his early 30's the way athletes take care of themselves now.

April 8. 2021: Rashford, 31 minutes into the game against Grenada. Ball directly into backroom from Lindelöf. Even worse.

Take into account also that Dortmund were down to 10 men and Wolfsburg were chasing an equaliser.

Dve

Does anyone else think he won't be moving this summer? I can't see it happening with the current situation in football. Maybe it will be good for football if these kinds of players stay at their clubs and improve competition all around, instead of the big clubs buying every top player that emerges.
Absolutely.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
BL: 71,61,57,56,55,50,46,43...
PL: 77,66,59,58,55,54,54,52,46...
Are you trying to ascertain the quality difference in the Bundasliga vs that of the Premier League? It won't end well if this is what you're basing it from.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Are you trying to ascertain the quality difference in the Bundasliga vs that of the Premier League? It won't end well if this is what you're basing it from.
He wants to say that there's no measurable big gap by hard facts (points, which are used to determine relative quality inside a league to show difference in longterm performances), at least not to an unnormal extent compared to the PL.

RobertoBaggio99

Well no, because it's just 2-3 top teams followed by a big gap for the rest.
Since when? Dortmund are 5th... closer in points to 10th than 1st.
Since 15/16 Bundesliga have had 7 teams reach the KO stages of CL. Their current respective league positions are 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 18
That's ~40% of the whole league.

Perspective, same time span:
England 6: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 30%
Italy 5: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 25%
Spain 5: 1, 2, 3, 4, 14 25%
France 3: 1, 3, 4 15%

0.13 more goals are scored each Bundesliga match compared to the rest of top 5. Basically a marginal difference.
I don't know where people get the idea from that it is a weak league, but it's clearly not based on facts. A recent pattern of former Bundesliga players dipping in form upon joining PL sides is probably a factor, but for every Havertz/Werner/Haller there's a De Bruyne/Son/Sane.
Haaland's numbers are ridiculously good for a 20 y/o, it's a shame if people downplay him over myths and false narratives.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Since when? Dortmund are 5th... closer in points to 10th than 1st.
Since 15/16 Bundesliga have had 7 teams reach the KO stages of CL. Their current respective league positions are 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 18
That's ~40% of the whole league.

Perspective, same time span:
England 6: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 30%
Italy 5: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 25%
Spain 5: 1, 2, 3, 4, 14 25%
France 3: 1, 3, 4 15%

0.13 more goals are scored each Bundesliga match compared to the rest of top 5. Basically a marginal difference.
I don't know where people get the idea from that it is a weak league, but it's clearly not based on facts. A recent pattern of former Bundesliga players dipping in form upon joining PL sides is probably a factor, but for every Havertz/Werner/Haller there's a De Bruyne/Son/Sane.
Haaland's numbers are ridiculously good for a 20 y/o, it's a shame if people downplay him over myths and false narratives.
There's a gap with Bayern and the rest. It's basically a one horse league now.

The open style of Dortmund and Leipzig can suit a tournament burst before they eventually get outed, but it's not sustainable nor does it demonstrate a level of consistency that's comparable on a domestic level. The bundasliga is a far weaker level in general to the Premier League. Players who have tasted both have eluded as such themselves.

RobertoBaggio99

There's a gap with Bayern and the rest. It's basically a one horse league now.

The open style of Dortmund and Leipzig can suit a tournament burst before they eventually get outed, but it's not sustainable nor does it demonstrate a level of consistency that's comparable on a domestic level. The bundasliga is a far weaker level in general to the Premier League. Players who have tasted both have eluded as such themselves.
I agree that PL>BL but the gap is much closer than shunning 20 y/o Haaland taking 54 games to score 50 in favour of 26 y/o Suarez taking 91 games to score 50. PL isn't 70% better than BL, nor is it harder to perform in for a player in his prime than BL is for a player in his youth.
That is beside the point though, since PL only covers 1/5 of the big 5 leagues. PL > Bundes=La liga=Serie A > Ligue 1.
Bottom line: Haaland is the real deal

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I agree that PL>BL but the gap is much closer than shunning 20 y/o Haaland taking 54 games to score 50 in favour of 26 y/o Suarez taking 91 games to score 50. PL isn't 70% better than BL, nor is it harder to perform in for a player in his prime than BL is for a player in his youth.
That is beside the point though, since PL only covers 1/5 of the big 5 leagues. PL > Bundes=La liga=Serie A > Ligue 1.
Bottom line: Haaland is the real deal
I think the way Suarez took to Liverpool, and made such an immediate impact, he was a player that dragged his peers up multiple levels and was the main man behind a title charge. Haaland doesn't do that. OK he has scored goals quickly, in a far easier league where teams are far more open than in the Premier League. But when I see that list and I see it too 91 games for Suarez to hit 50 Liverpool, I just find that pretty standout.

For Haaland to come in the Bundasliga and score so many so quickly is obviously very commendable. But its also far more of an open league than the Premier League by way of how the teams play. I don't see many teams that have much defensive solidarity. Heck Bayern lead the pack there and have conceded almost 2x City, and more than United. That's before you look at the rest of the teams, I think one of the sides have conceded 76 goals and the league isn't over yet :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.