Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

Imagine not signing a 21 year old phenom because you have a 34 year old striker playing well. What logic is that?

RooneyLegend

Still don't believe Bayern are going to let him leave the Bundesliga. He'd shatter all sorts of records for them. Lewa is also versatile in the sense that they could play them together.

UTD_Since_1978

Still don't believe Bayern are going to let him leave the Bundesliga. He'd shatter all sorts of records for them. Lewa is also versatile in the sense that they could play them together.
Nah! He's done his time in Germany & will now be looking for a new challenge elsewhere, either Spain or England, mark my words.

Tarrou

doesn't seem like a very Bayern-esque signing what with the agents fees and wages they'd have to fork out

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Except it's not in Bayerns hands to decide.

Matriac

Can't imagine him wanting to miss out on the CL knockout stages.
possibly - but most things in life have a price ...
I guess it could be possible if Dortmund fail to stay in the CL. Then he would not play in the CL anyway, so he might be open for a winter transfer, especially if he could win a league title this season.

Similar to the situation when it looked like Dortmund would not qualify for CL this spring and Raiola and Alf-Inge Haaland went on their road trip to see if a transfer would be possible.

As soon as it was clear Dortmund would reach the CL that rumour was deal.
There is no way Dortmund doesn't get out of that group now, so it really isn't going to be relevant what could have happened if they don't.
Not that it really matters, as I don't believe that Haaland will move in January, since he can get a much better deal for himself in the summer.

But since the 18/19 season, players are no longer cup tied, and can play for a different team in the knockouts than they did in the group stage if they transfer clubs in January. (Any team can register up to 3 new players for European cups in January.)
So that's not a limiting factor for waiting for a transfer or not, he won't miss out on CL because of a transfer. If anything, if Dortmund fails to get out of the group, then one could argue Haaland might accept a transfer (thus possibly less money for himself) for a chance to score some more goals to increase his long-term records chances.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't understand why Haaland gets 0 hype as a candidate to finish 3rd place of 2021 Ballon d'Or compared to Benzema & Jorginho.

• Haaland is a top 2 striker itw. Jorginho is generally not even in the even conversation as the best midfielder itw

• Haaland has better individual stats than Benzema in 2021 calender year. According to Transfermarket, the Norwegian made 41 goals + 15 assists in 3803 minutes (1.33 G/A per 90) while Benzema made 34 goals + 12 assists in 3978 minutes (1.04 G/A per 90).

• Haaland won a trophy that actually matters (DFB-pokal) while Benzema won nothing with Real Madrid or Euro 2020.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't understand why Haaland gets 0 hype as a candidate to finish 3rd place of 2021 Ballon d'Or compared to Benzema & Jorginho.

• Haaland is a top 2 striker itw. Jorginho is generally not even in the even conversation as the best midfielder itw

• Haaland has better individual stats than Benzema in 2021 calender year. According to Transfermarket, the Norwegian made 41 goals + 15 assists in 3803 minutes (1.33 G/A per 90) while Benzema made 34 goals + 12 assists in 3978 minutes (1.04 G/A per 90).

• Haaland won a trophy that actually matters (DFB-pokal) while Benzema won nothing with Real Madrid or Euro 2020.
Nations league won't count?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Bundesliga tax.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nations league won't count?
Not all trophies are equally created. Any major trophy at club level/internationals is infinity more valuable than a random trophy in a glorifird friendly cup tournament.

Bundesliga tax.
Haaland has also better stats in UCL & internationals than Benzema.

Speaking about "Bundesliga tax", do you also think Lewandowski is nothing special either despite his greatness in UCL & internationals? Is Lewandowski worse than likes of Lukaku/Kane/Benzema/Ronaldo due to the so called "Bundesliga tax"?

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Not all trophies are equally created. Any major trophy at club level/internationals is infinity more valuable than a random trophy in a glorifird friendly cup tournament.
Yeah, would rate Nations league higher than German cup.

roonster09

Scout
Winning the German cup with a team that is not Bayern *does* carry value
Yeah for sure. I didn't call it worthless cup. For me every cup has a value, ofcourse at different level.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah for sure. I didn't call it worthless cup. For me every cup has a value, ofcourse at different level.
I agree it is fair to rate international tournaments (both for club and country) higher than national cups.

Olmer

Why is there a Bundesliga tax but no Serie A tax or La Liga tax, considering that those two have been no better for the past two years or so?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why is there a Bundesliga tax but no Serie A tax or La Liga tax, considering that those two have been no better for the past two years or so?
Was more of a joke, but yeah the Bundesliga isn't as good as La Liga. By a lot of metrics. UEFA coefficients but it is also seems like the mid-table, lower table teams are far more up to it compared to the Bundesliga. However that might have to do with Bayern's sheer dominance.

Bundesliga vs Serie A would be an interesting one, as of now Serie A has been scored better one of the previous 2 seasons, the Bundesliga did so for the other.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As good as Haaland is, they don't need him when they still have Benzema in his prime who shows 0 signs of decline.
We do need him someone like him, probably more than Mbappe. Since Ronaldo left we haven't really replaced his goals and all that he brought to the team. Benzema is doing very good but the problem is the moment he has a bad game, or isn't available, no one else will score the goals. A team like Real Madrid can't depend only on Benzema.

The ideal situation would be like when Mourinho arrived we had both Higuain and Benzema playing the striker role while also playing alongside Ronaldo, we were scoring a lot and it was very difficult to prevent those players from scoring. Now we depend solely on Benzema, Vinicius is improving but he isn't on the same level as someone like Haaland and I'm sure the team will sell Jovic.

What would be crazy is to bring someone like Mbappe and/or Haaland while getting rid of someone as experienced as Benzema, his our current captain and of our senior players so we do need him even if we bring new strikers so they can learn from him.

NoPace

I've been assuming they're the favorite since they didn't sign a 9 this year, because if not it seems like they would have just gone for a backup option to Kane knowing for a while now that Aguero was leaving, so they'd have at least one proper 9 in the squad. Though looking around at the market you could also argue it makes sense to just wait a year until another good young option emerges or an established star wants a move rather than just buy an unproven option or count on someone making a huge step up.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We do need him someone like him, probably more than Mbappe. Since Ronaldo left we haven't really replaced his goals and all that he brought to the team. Benzema is doing very good but the problem is the moment he has a bad game, or isn't available, no one else will score the goals. A team like Real Madrid can't depend only on Benzema.

The ideal situation would be like when Mourinho arrived we had both Higuain and Benzema playing the striker role while also playing alongside Ronaldo, we were scoring a lot and it was very difficult to prevent those players from scoring. Now we depend solely on Benzema, Vinicius is improving but he isn't on the same level as someone like Haaland and I'm sure the team will sell Jovic.

What would be crazy is to bring someone like Mbappe and/or Haaland while getting rid of someone as experienced as Benzema, his our current captain and of our senior players so we do need him even if we bring new strikers so they can learn from him.
Cristiano's insane goalscoring production will almost certainly never be replaced. Just aceept this fact made.

Why would Haaland join a club to share playing time with Benzema when he can be an undisputed starter & main man elsewhere (like Manchester City)? Also, both Mbappe or Haaland have nothing to learn of Benzema. Haaland and arguably even Mbappe are better player than Prime Benzema ever was.

A 34-year-old Benzema will definitely be forced out of the club the moment Mbappe & Haaland joins Real Madrid. Both will be undisputed starters and even Vinicius might be undroppable as he offers width & pace to dribble past 2-3 players to draw attention awa from Mbappe/Haaland. Ancelotti won't shake up his 3-manna midfield to sacrifice balance to fit in Benzema, Haaland, Vinicius & Mbappe.

Reactions: Cheimoon

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Benzema is doing it in a tougher league and is the better all around player.

SeanyC

If he goes to City, do we go get Kane? Kane’s price will surely drop next year, not by much but still

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he goes to City, do we go get Kane? Kane’s price will surely drop next year, not by much but still
Not for me. He looks finished as a top player. Not just for England (showed so in the summer euros) but also for spurs.

I think we go for someone like Isak and use Greenwood more.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pretty sure we won't be buying a 9 for big money while we have Ronaldo demanding to start every game.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A 34-year-old Benzema will definitely be forced out of the club the moment Mbappe & Haaland joins Real Madrid. Both will be undisputed starters and even Vinicius might be undroppable as he offers width & pace to dribble past 2-3 players to draw attention awa from Mbappe/Haaland. Ancelotti won't shake up his 3-manna midfield to sacrifice balance to fit in Benzema, Haaland, Vinicius & Mbappe.
At his age, Benzema might also accept becoming a back-up striker. Although he might prefer stepping down to a subtop team or going to the US or China to remain a guaranteed starter.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Cristiano's insane goalscoring production will almost certainly never be replaced. Just aceept this fact made.

Why would Haaland join a club to share playing time with Benzema when he can be an undisputed starter & main man elsewhere (like Manchester City)? Also, both Mbappe or Haaland have nothing to learn of Benzema. Haaland and arguably even Mbappe are better player than Prime Benzema ever was.

What an earth are you talking about? There are facets of Benzema's game that are in another stratosphere to what either Haaland or Mbappe have displayed to date in the entirety of their fledgling careers. Facets they may never get close to for their entire careers, so to say they are better than he ever was is hyperbolic in the extreme. They both have a tonne to learn off someone like Benzema.

Your third paragraph also has no grounding in reality.

youmeletsfly

I'm not one to usually slam other people's opinions, but that's one of the worst statements I've seen on this forum.

Benzema won a few champions leagues and titles in a championship where it actually matters, Mbappe shat his pants in the UCL when it mattered and Haaland scored for fun in two weak leagues. Until both of them will score consistently for 3-4-5 years in a strong championship and win a UCL here and there, they're not fit to even tie his laces.

I'm not saying they're not good or they won't be better, but both have won jack shit at club level until now and there's a long road ahead of them. Let's see if they'll still score 20 a season when they're 34.

roonster09

Scout
Benzema is easily the most underrated player itw.

The insane level of disrespect he gets in this thread is ridiculous.
:lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Benzema is doing it in a tougher league and is the better all around player.
UEFA Champions League top scorers by season (group stage to final)
UEFA Forward of the Season 2020/21 - Erling Haaland
2020/21: Erling Haaland (Dortmund) 10

Benzema is not a better player than Haaland, come on now.

Water Melon

Haaland could well end up at City. As I said many times before, he will not move to United managed by Ole. We are not that attractive when it comes to big trophies these days, whereas wage-wise City, Chelsea and now Newcastle can match and exceed what we offer. If he does join the noisy neighbours, we may see more shares sold by the Glazers.

lilcurt

Haaland could well end up at City. As I said many times before, he will not move to United managed by Ole. We are not that attractive when it comes to big trophies these days, whereas wage-wise City, Chelsea and now Newcastle can match and exceed what we offer. If he does join the noisy neighbours, we may see more shares sold by the Glazers.
The Glazers are more likely to sell when we are successful, as share value will be high. Investors don't make money selling when stock is low.

This can be seen by how they have sold a percentage now in the wake of Ronaldo coming back which caused our share prise to jump.

Remember we are self sustaining, when we sign a player it doesn't come out of their pocket.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
UEFA Champions League top scorers by season (group stage to final)
UEFA Forward of the Season 2020/21 - Erling Haaland
2020/21: Erling Haaland (Dortmund) 10

Benzema is not a better player than Haaland, come on now.
Too many extreme opinions here... Haaland is a more prolific striker, but Benzema is definitely ahead in other aspects of his game like playmaking.

There is no need to talk down Benzema like some here do, but it is also not right to say Haaland isn't fit to the his laces.

A bit more nuanced opinions would be nice sometimes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I'm struggling with any type of rationale that sees Jorginho being a candidate, while Sergio Busquets has never even gotten a nod.

Cloud7

Too many extreme opinions here... Haaland is a more prolific striker, but Benzema is definitely ahead in other aspects of his game like playmaking.

There is no need to talk down Benzema like some here do, but it is also not right to say Haaland isn't fit to the his laces.

A bit more nuanced opinions would be nice sometimes.
Benzema is THIRD on the list of all time scorers at Real Madrid. There isn't a single weakness to his game. For many years he sacrificed his game for Ronaldo while still maintaining a good output, and now that he is the main man his output has increased.

Haaland is the most promising striker in world football (Or at worst second most promising depending on if you view Mbappe as a striker or not), but he has not yet achieved anything close to what Benzema has. An expression like "isn't fit to tie his laces" is a bit strange, but Haaland does have a long way to go before he matches Benzema. The team, pressure and vast array of setups and managers that Benzema has flourished in for over a decade, the amount of trophies he's contributed to and the general higher quality of opposition he's been up against, particularly in European competition.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Haaland is a better striker, but Benzem at this point is simply a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.