Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

Him going to one of the Spanish clubs would be perfect for us as much as I hate them.

Barca seem to be engaging in some accounting tricks this year to make it seem like they have a bunch of losses when they actually don't (wrote off a lot of players' book values or something). So they're not as broke as the media would have you believe apparently and they actually stand a chance of getting him.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Guess this means all the current Barca players will be signing lifetime contracts summer time.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Par for the course if you want to be a superstar player, if he can't handle that then he's never going to be able the handle the pressure at a club like Madrid, for example. He just doesn't give me the impression he lets the noise get to him though, but I guess you never know until someone's been through it properly. Frankly with him, the only concern I have is if he can stay healthy, I'm not too worried about his mental strength because he seems to have plenty of it so far.
it is his agent's job to collect offers from all interested parties, then present option and his advise to his client at the end of the season. I doubt Haaland even bother with it at this point.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
it is his agent's job to collect offers from all interested parties, then present option and his advise to his client at the end of the season. I doubt Haaland even bother with it at this point.
Yeah, no way he's getting bothered with that now mid-season, my comment was not really talking about pre-transfer, when I say the noise etc, I just mean from all the attention of being a huge signing etc, not everybody handles it well, but I don't see him getting fussed with it, he's been getting huge attention the better part of a year and a half now.
He's already been through the circus last summer anyways and he and his team definitely contributed to it with his father and Mino's euro trip.
But honestly, between him and Mbappe, I'm pretty much past having any doubts about their ability to dominate anywhere; it's just a matter of health for them now. They don't even really need a functioning team to perform. Every other brilliant young player, you can still ask questions about, but those two are now unquestionable in my eyes and just need to stay fit for most of their career.

UTD_Since_1978

Barca fans obviously hoping he will fill the enormous gap left by Messi.

And Real Madrid fans obviously hoping that Mbappe will fill the enormous gap left by Ronaldo.

Proving once again despite the PL having more money & better entertainment than La Liga, the true top stars of world football will always go to Barca or Real Madrid, probably for the climate.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Maybe for South Americans and South Europeans, but not for scandies. PL is by far the most watches and followed league in the Scandinavian countries.
Liverpool and Manchester United have 10-15 x bigger fanbases in Norway than Real Madrid and Barca.
Didn't the best scandinavian player in history, Michael Laudrup, play for Real and Barcelona?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

And Real Madrid fans obviously hoping that Mbappe will fill the enormous gap left by Ronaldo.

Proving once again despite the PL having more money & better entertainment than La Liga, the true top stars of world football will always go to Barca or Real Madrid, probably for the climate.
In terms of city, definitely Barcelona over Madrid for the beach and food, let alone Manchester.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

It's not just the weather, Real Madrid it's the biggest club in History of football, they will always attract great players, wether La Liga is best league or not at the moment.

Furthermore media will have another rivalry to sell : Mbappé (Real Madrid) vs Haaland (Barcelona).
It's even more crazy that they might arrive at Spain in the same transfer window, and they are young, 23 and 21.
IF they deliver, that rivalry can be milked for at least 8-10 years by spanish media, which will increase the revenue in TV deal rights.

Last edited:

bosskeano

Barcelona will have to do some serious accounting magic in order to find the funds to pay for Haaland and register his salary

minoo-utd

It’s strange, despite the strength of the premier league now over la liga but the most two world class players right now want go to Barca and Real. I think it’s about their desire only!!

minoo-utd

Barcelona will have to do some serious accounting magic in order to find the funds to pay for Haaland and register his salary
It seems they are lying about many stuff, specially if they can manage to sign Halaand and let alone Raiola money too. Strange for me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s not just the climate or the city. Real and Barca can pay you a million a week if you’re winning leagues and CLs for them. We’ve only recently gone over 500k with ronaldo. Whereas Bale Griezamnn Messi Ronaldo were all way more than that. Their tax is lower and the cost of living is lower and the weather is obviously better. The league is easier and the standard of team mate is just as high. Your chances of winning the CL are massive.

Our time to join that elite group of clubs and truly use our clout was when Ronadlo was trying to leave and City were starting to make moves but as everything with the glazers it’s always late, botched or nothing at all.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s strange, despite the strength of the premier league now over la liga but the most two world class players right now want go to Barca and Real. I think it’s about their desire only!!
You’ll score more goals there. The premier league is too competitive

troylocker

Didn't the best scandinavian player in history, Michael Laudrup, play for Real and Barcelona?
Of course there are and have been Scandies playing in Italy and Spain, but PL is still by far the most popular league with the most fans in the Scandinavian countries. It is no coincidence that there are 3 x more Scandies plaing in the PL than in LaLiga and 3 x more latin Americans in LaLiga than in the PL right now. It has allways been like that. TV-rights, language and culture just makes one click more than the other and by fan-counts, Liverpool and Manchester United are 6x bigger than Arsenal on 3rd with Leeds on 4th and Chelsea, City, Real Madrid and Barcelona further down the list. A lot of Norwegians have problems with sportswashing and clubs owned by dictatorships with little respect for human rights and democratic principals as well (PSG, City and now Newcastle). There will allways be exceptions of course and I still think City are favourites, despite that, but nothing will be decided before all offers are on the table in june. We are not out of it yet.

RoyH1

It’s not just the climate or the city. Real and Barca can pay you a million a week if you’re winning leagues and CLs for them. We’ve only recently gone over 500k with ronaldo. Whereas Bale Griezamnn Messi Ronaldo were all way more than that. Their tax is lower and the cost of living is lower and the weather is obviously better. The league is easier and the standard of team mate is just as high. Your chances of winning the CL are massive.

Our time to join that elite group of clubs and truly use our clout was when Ronadlo was trying to leave and City were starting to make moves but as everything with the glazers it’s always late, botched or nothing at all.
I'm not so sure about that. I think that at the top income bracket, Spain's income tax is no lower than the UK's because in 2011 they introduced a wealth tax which is progressive in nature. That said the cost of living is much lower for sure.

troylocker

I'm not so sure about that. I think that at the top income bracket, Spain's income tax is no lower than the UK's because in 2011 they introduced a wealth tax which is progressive in nature. That said the cost of living is much lower for sure.
I guess these 100-600k a week players cares wether bread and milk costs 1 or 2 EUROs a piece. Armani, Ferraris and high end living costs the same anywhere.....

RoyH1

I guess these 100-600k a week players cares wether bread and milk costs 1 or 2 EUROs a piece. Armani, Ferraris and high end living costs the same anywhere.....
There's a lot more to it than that. Property, property taxes, banking, services. All those can add up to a significant amount that can put a big dent in a footballers estate. Maybe they don't know it, but their agents and lawyers certainly do and they provide their clients with this kind of information.
And for your information Ferrari's do not cost the same everywhere. Some countries have much higher duties and import tariffs on vehicles, even inside the EU.

troylocker

There's a lot more to it than that. Property, property taxes, banking, services. All those can add up to a significant amount that can put a big dent in a footballers estate. Maybe they don't know it, but their agents and lawyers certainly do and they provide their clients with this kind of information.
And for your information Ferrari's do not cost the same everywhere. Some countries have much higher duties and import tariffs on vehicles, even inside the EU.
You do obviously have some good points.
I see I have a weak case here....

UTD_Since_1978

I suppose that means he will announce if he will leave Dortmund in the summer or not as opposed to actually announcing which club he will join or even which club he would like to join this summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I suppose that means he will announce if he will leave Dortmund in the summer or not as opposed to actually announcing which club he will join or even which club he would like to join this summer.
He probably can't. His agent is still in hospital.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You’ll score more goals there. The premier league is too competitive
City and Liverpool have scored more goals than anyone else in both leagues this season.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
More like he'll start the ball rolling on where he will be playing next season (not Dortmund)

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently he has agreed a deal with Adidas.

Not sure how that affects things though...

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
That probably upended Dortmund hopes to convince him to stay another season on a higher package.
Dortmund wanted to to break the bank for Haaland together with Puma.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
that's good for Madrid and United as they are the two major adidas brands outside of Germany
Has that ever really had an impact on transfers before? Always felt like people mentioned it but it never really seemed to end up mattering in where a player goes.

bosskeano

Has that ever really had an impact on transfers before? Always felt like people mentioned it but it never really seemed to end up mattering in where a player goes.
guess it would depend on if they use that main sponsor as a way of making more money....some of those big sponsors only want their top guys playing for clubs of their brand

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
guess it would depend on if they use that main sponsor as a way of making more money....some of those big sponsors only want their top guys playing for clubs of their brand
But it almost never works out that way. CR7 was in Madrid, Messi was in Barcelona (granted, different situation), Neymar switched to Puma while at PSG (and Messi now with a Nike club). I can see how maybe sometimes it helps facilitate transfers with some kind of kick-back (if that's even legal), but I really don't think it has much of an impact at all on where a player wants to spend the next 4-5 years of their career.

bosskeano

Yep. Especially with no CL football next season. Going to be hard to even convince him.
that's the biggest issue right there is possibly no CL football.....a top top player like Haaland will expect CL football and being able to challenge for titles

ToToMarshall

There is absolutely no hope of Haaland joining us.

I’d imagine we’re at best his 4th favoured choice in England right now - and I’d guess England isn’t his favoured destination.

The lack of CL football is a double-edged sword too. If we don’t get CL football it categorically will not happen, but I’ve not seen many people look at this from the other side. If we somehow scrape 4th that means Ronaldo will stay, and I don’t see us being able to afford/make room for Haaland as long as Cristiano is still here.

Judas

Open to offers
Surely no one thinks there's any chance he joins us in the summer? Our only hope is to be the club after the next one, if his next destination is Spain, as it appears to be. We'll have had to get ourselves together though, and not slipped even further downwards.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Surely no one thinks there's any chance he joins us in the summer? Our only hope is to be the club after the next one, if his next destination is Spain, as it appears to be. We'll have had to get ourselves together though, and not slipped even further downwards.
Other than big salary what else Man Utd can offer him to compete with other big clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.