Erm.. The Number 7 shirt..

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Lord the double standard on here is ridiculous, I remember Varane asking for no.4 but Jones refused, we had some on here who said "it was just a fecking shirt number" Now it's clear to see it was because Jones is English, If i were Cavani I'll refuse solly because Phil Fecking Injured Jones Refused to Give Varane that number 4 shirt, that he's been wearing for over a decade without nothing to show for but killing Steve Bruce's legacy.

Ixion

Lord the double standard on here is ridiculous, I remember Varane asking for no.4 but Jones refused, we had some on here who said "it was just a fecking shirt number" Now it's clear to see it was because Jones is English, If i were Cavani I'll refuse solly because Phil Fecking Injured Jones Refused to Give Varane that number 4 shirt, that he's been wearing for over a decade without nothing to show for but killing Steve Bruce's legacy.
I think most people want Jones sold let alone want him to keep the number. However Varane doesn't have a brand built around the 4 and hasn't previously played for United in that shirt so it's not the same comparison. Jones has also had that shirt for a decade compared to Cavani having the 7 for a year.
So does Cavani...for now

Last edited:

Mercurial

They will most likely grant this given the Arnautovic precedence. With CR being such a global brand it's good for the EPL brand. Imagine all those fans moaning over this vs tons of goodwill.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:

Deery

Dreary
Hope he gets the number 7, I was hoping to get a replica jersey and Ronaldo 21 just doesn’t really feel the same as CR7, I’m sure a lot of others will feel the same…

Mercurial

Perhaps he is on the cusp of launching PJ4 branded line of Pajamas. A man has to make a living.

SirAF

Ageist
Check out the official Premier League FB account’s post about Ronaldo:

«It's official. CR7 is »

Hal9000

We legit sold Dan James so that Cavani can switch to 21 so Ronaldo can take 7

Nobody at the club would ever admit to it, and James did need to be moved, but the whole number 7 situation definitely factored into him being sold.
Getting paid £30 million so we can get a shirt number changed isn't bad business. Especially when that shirt is 7 on Ronaldo's back.

stevoc

I imagine United will do whatever it takes to get him the no7 shirt. Setting aside the nostalgia value the commercial value has to be huge as well.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I imagine United will do whatever it takes to get him the no7 shirt. Setting aside the nostalgia value the commercial value has to be huge as well.
I can’t imagine there would any real fans not going to get Ronaldo 7 jersey this summer. It’s going to be fecking huge.

DannyDee

You need to understand CR7 is by far biggest ever sports brand in the world with over 335m followers in social media. It’s beyond iconic.
Pretty sure the biggest sports brand (related to an individual) in the world is Jordan shoes, regardless of social media followers.

Loon

:lol:
The Glazers and the marketing people saw the commercial benefits in not only signing Ronaldo, but getting him in the number 7 shirt.

Highfather_24

Pretty sure the biggest sports brand (related to an individual) in the world is Jordan shoes, regardless of social media followers.
Basketball is not as big outside America as football is worldwide.

A lot of people disagreed when I said it few days back(when City were going for him, so attitudes were already against him tbf), but Ronaldo and Messi are bigger brands and figures than any football club, including United. Even the average joe/jill who knows nothing about football and is from a non-footballing country for example, and has never heard of Manchester knows who Ronaldo is.

DannyDee

Basketball is not as big outside America as football is worldwide.

A lot of people disagreed when I said it few days back(when City were going for him, so attitudes were already against him tbf), but Ronaldo and Messi are bigger brands and figures than any football club, including United. Even the average joe/jill who knows nothing about football and is from a non-footballing country for example, and has never heard of Manchester knows who Ronaldo is.
Jordan shoes as commercial brand eclipses whatever any athlete world brings in. Even if people couldn't care about basketball, Jordan brand shoes as just fashion items is massive. They are an integral piece of a brand worth over 250 billion USD. There is no football player related brand that even compares. Part of it is, you aren't wearing cleats as a fashion statement in public. We are talking about a brand that inspires such nostalgia and prestige that limited edition versions of them can go into the 20k to 50k range in auction (and this isn't game worn stuff).

I get they may be more famous than Jordan, but nothing attached to their name has entered that level of value commercially.

Twisted Nerve

People put too much weight on shirt numbers. Personally I think if Cavani is happy to give up the number then it's all good, and fair play to him, as long as he was asked and not told.
I don't give a toss what number Ronaldo wears .... he's back at Man Utd-feckin-Nited!! That's the main thing and it's good enough for me, I'm happy he's back and I'm not gonna bitch about a bloody shirt number. I just wanna see him bang 'em in.
Remember the whole AM9 / AM11 thing? That was kind of a diss to Martial and it bugged me, regardless of Ibra's legend status. It might be an unpopular opinion but oh well. I don't agree with pissing one player off to make another happy.

DannyDee

People put too much weight on shirt numbers. Personally I think if Cavani is happy to give up the number then it's all good, and fair play to him, as long as he was asked and not told.
I don't give a toss what number Ronaldo wears .... he's back at Man Utd-feckin-Nited!! That's the main thing and it's good enough for me, I'm happy he's back and I'm not gonna bitch about a bloody shirt number. I just wanna see him bang 'em in.
Remember the whole AM9 / AM11 thing? That was kind of a diss to Martial and it bugged me, regardless of Ibra's legend status. It might be an unpopular opinion but oh well. I don't agree with pissing one player off to make another happy.
I feel the issue here is if Cavani offered it. And, I don’t think the jersey thing with Martial was as big as it being taken but then followed by Mourinho having absolutely no faith in him. Very different on how to handle young players with shaky confidence. In NA sport it’s common for a highly paid vet taking a number to give the guy a high end watch (from a Rolex to a Patek or Audemars) for a desired number.

stevoc

Manchester United-feckin-Nited?

choccy77

Varane is no Phil Jones though.

diarm

When they say attack the post, not the poster - this is the post they're talking about.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I get it that shirt number is important for his brand, but it also doesn't make sense for most players especially at amateur level. I hate when people used to argue over numbers at the beginning of the season

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Normally, but if the agreement is mutually amicable it shouldn't be a problem. Other than some hassle Cavani would have nothing to lose (oh, his shirt number). Lawyers could just write up things even without him atttending .
Yeah, mutually amicable... "All signed, now Cristiano gets 7 and you can go off play your qualifiers. We'll resign you in December".

Joking aside, I'm sure Cavani has zero issue, so long as it was handled respectfully and not how the majority of posters on here do.

A massive sports organisation fully mobilised to get a shirt number and not, you know, a midfielder?

Disneyland.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah, mutually amicable... "All signed, now Cristiano gets 7 and you can go off play your qualifiers. We'll resign you in December".

Joking aside, I'm sure Cavani has zero issue, so long as it was handled respectfully and not how the majority of posters on here do.

A massive sports organisation fully mobilised to get a shirt number and not, you know, a midfielder?

Disneyland.
Why not disneyland. They are the best theme park in the business at least.

sp_107

Rumours spreading that we offered Cavani to Barca,
I am happy to see Cristiano but I feel very sad to see Cavani go just because we signed Ronaldo who was not even in our plans.
Cavani lifted millions of UTD spirits during the most difficult pandemic time last year and he deserves to be here on merit.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Rumours spreading that we offered Cavani to Barca,
I am happy to see Cristiano but I feel very sad to see Cavani go just because we signed Ronaldo who was not even in our plans.
Cavani lifted millions of UTD spirits during the most difficult pandemic time last year and he deserves to be here on merit.
There’s no way we offered Cavani to Juve. That would leave us light on numbers and Cavani is going to have a massive part to play.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Cavani offered to Barca, google it.
Not sure why I said Juve then. There were links, I’ve seen them but they came from a story that Cavani was unhappy for various reasons and talked to Barca to engineer a move which has since been denied by all parties.

United are not going to offer Cavani to anyone.