Ernesto Valverde

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Sure I've posted in here before and the same applys. Out of his depth and should been sacked long ago.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Down to the lucky and undeserved result in the home leg

The truth is barring a few games here and there, barcelona haven't been a top top side since February 2016

And Valverde looks out of his depths here
They've been basically been burning money, buying the wrong players over and over again. Investing crazy money in attacking areas when they have zero credible back ups for the backline (CB and LB specially).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't want to be the "going against the grain for the sake of it" guy but Barca's issues run deeper than him and the next coach won't do better, I'm sure of that. The entire team is finished bar few players: Suarez, Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, Alba all over 30. Semedo and Roberto decent squad players but nothing more. You could bin everyone bar Messi, Arthur, De Jong, ter Stegen at this point.

If Dembélé miraculously stays healthy from now on, Griezmann is put into the middle alongside a more match fit Messi with De Jong and Arthur behind them then Barca could click later on in the season but even that is a big if. Griezmann is not a striker who fits playing alongside Messi IMO and Dembélé would have to step up big time.

Early into the season of course but forget Real and Barca in the CL this season IMO. Would be surprised if one of City/Liverpool don't win it (again).
Their recruitment for the last 4-5 has been nothing short of abysmal. There's about 5 hits in this list of 21 signings...

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lackluster performances have been common this season. It's his job to fix that or else he'll be sacked... surely.

Cait Sith

Their recruitment for the last 4-5 has been nothing short of abysmal. There's about 5 hits in this list of 21 signings...

Semedo is average, not a desaster but also not a Barca level fullback. Wouldn't classify him a hit.

Vidal is okay as a squad player but irrelevant overall.

Dembélé has everything to prove yet. Think he will be gone in exchange for Neymar next summer.

Only Arthur and Lenglet can be described as hits. Umtiti as well prior to injuries which have destroyed his career.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They’re in a deep crisis and they stand 3 points behind Atlético who haven’t won in 3 games and a Madrid team that just got spanked by PSG without Neymar and Mbappe.

They’ll comfortably win the league with Valverde, just like they did for the past 2 years. Not because they’re great but because the level of the competition has declined. Barca drop silly points away. Madrid and Atlético do it home and away...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Specially after Roma the year before. Twice the same exit in the same fashion
The Roma game was a sackable offense, for a supposed tactician he did the one thing that he wasn't supposed to do, a 442 with slow players wide. Barcelona were logically outnumbered and out paced in midfield. His chronical cowardice killed that team and maybe the club because nowadays Barcelona rarely play on the front foot with genuine confidence when all their talent is in the offensive area.

Schneckerl

Semedo is average, not a desaster but also not a Barca level fullback. Wouldn't classify him a hit.

Vidal is okay as a squad player but irrelevant overall.

Dembélé has everything to prove yet. Think he will be gone in exchange for Neymar next summer.

Only Arthur and Lenglet can be described as hits. Umtiti as well prior to injuries which have destroyed his career.
The guy who made this tweet put the green checkmark next to players who are still at the club and not based on whether they were a decent transfer or not.

Cillessen was certainly a success as a backup keeper, Paulinho did alright for his role and Barca got their money back.

Agree with your evaluation otherwise.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Roma game was a sackable offense, for a supposed tactician he did the one thing that he wasn't supposed to do, a 442 with slow players wide. Barcelona were logically outnumbered and out paced in midfield. His chronical cowardice killed that team and maybe the club because nowadays Barcelona rarely play on the front foot with genuine confidence when all their talent is in the offensive area.
Meh. When you get outworked and outrun to that extent it's hard to pin the blame on tactics or formations. Intensity, energy and focus aren't subordinate or consequential to tactics or formations

Barcelona were going through a patch of looking shaky and pulling off results on individual talent and luck. In the first leg they had 2 own goals, a stonewall penalty denied to roma and the best description of the game is that barcelona won 4-1 and the best player on the pitch was Ter Stegen

Simply put, as much as valverde and the team deserves blame for pissing away a big lead, the fact of the matter was their opponents were just plain better than them. Yes that includes Roma

zkap

Supports
Barça
Should have been sacked after Roma. Should have been sacked after Liverpool. Never should have been hired.

The personality of the coach translates onto the team as a functioning organism that has to react on the pitch. Valverde cannot inspire a team to save his life. He’s a coach that plays boring, pragmatic football, but more than that, he lacks personality that you need to lead a team in the Champions League. The team cannot coach itself, and if all you have to offer as a Barça coach are some defensive tactics because anything other than that is out of your reach, then...

MalcolmTucker

His subs were poor yesterday. Dembele was having the best game he's had in a while and was one of the few players actually looking to get in behind Slavia Prague's high-line but he takes him off for Fati, who although is great on the ball, prefers to get it in front of the backline - made Barcelona far more predictable. Also, brought on Rakitic who was absolutely shocking.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
His subs were poor yesterday. Dembele was having the best game he's had in a while and was one of the few players actually looking to get in behind Slavia Prague's high-line but he takes him off for Fati, who although is great on the ball, prefers to get it in front of the backline - made Barcelona far more predictable. Also, brought on Rakitic who was absolutely shocking.
That's how he wasted Malcom in the squad, 99% of the times we faced a team that wanted to pressure us and leave gaps behind the defenders he fielded Coutinho, and when they dropped back to defend in the area he'd sub Malcom on.

As long as he's here Dembele won't reach his potential, Arthur will be unable to get a good streak of games going and De Jong/Griezmann will remain being mismanaged. It took Alba being injured twice and him losing faith in Firpo in just one game for him to see that Semedo is actually a better fullback than Sergi Roberto.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So why is he being spoken of as being the favourite for the interim job?

IrishRedDevil

Mind that time his Barcelona team got smashed 4-0 by Liverpool in the CL and lost a 3-0 advantage. Don’t want.

klsv

Didn't see a lot of Barcelona games when he was in charge, so I went and Googled his style of play and the first result is a promising one! :lol:

He had his issues, of course. Valverde's style of play was so overly cautious and pragmatic, so often frustrating in its reliance on individual brilliance, that his trophies failed to make up for Barcelona's lack of aesthetic style and excitement. Towards the end of his tenure, fans had lost all patience with him.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I mean how shit is he? Anytime he has to prove his coaching ability he fails horrendously.

People can lay the blame in many places but in my opinion he's the sole cause of Barcelona's meltdown last year and tonight.

He should be sacked before he even reaches the dressing room.
This OP doesn't fill me with confidence :lol:

Telsim

Would be great, but only as interim until the end of the season. What worries me about interim managers is if they get a good spell, Woodward will give them long-term contracts. This will be a mistake. We need an interim until we can get our designated target in the summer. That's it. No 3 year contracts and such.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The first ten pages of this thread are all absolutely shitting on him from a height :lol:

I wonder will we re-write some history now when he is signed.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I watched quite a number of Barca games when he was in charge. It was the epitome of a team being carried by a player

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's charismatic and intelligent, used to managing huge egos. With regards to style of play, he's not known as a progressive manager, quite the opposite, but it's an interim position.

I'd be surprised if he joined United as an interim manager for 6 months.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's charismatic and intelligent, used to managing huge egos. With regards to style of play, he's not known as a progressive manager, quite the opposite, but it's an interim position.

I'd be surprised if he joined United as an interim manager for 6 months.
He gets to audition for the premier league at the brightest stage, it’s a no loss proposition for him. Even if he is interim at United, a mid table club will find him appealing in the summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He gets to audition for the premier league at the brightest stage, it’s a no loss proposition for him.
Yeah, if he's not been having any offers I would understand. I guess my two objections are: style of play, and secondly, what I'm now reading, that it would allow the club to retain that hapless coaching staff we've got.

I'd want an interim manager to at least bring in two coaches with him who know what they're doing.

talking robot

Don't want him from the sound of it. Just go and get a permanent manager now ffs so we can plan for the summer transfer window properly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah, if he's not been having any offers I would understand. I guess my two objections are: style of play, and secondly, what I'm now reading, that it would allow the club to retain that hapless coaching staff we've got.

I'd want an interim manager to at least bring in two coaches with him who know what they're doing.
What's the point in that? Get the team acclimatised to a brand new set of coaches only for them all to change 6 months later? The whole point of an interim is to work within the current structure before the big changes

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

I think he’ll bring in a staff, that Jamie Jackson article seems to be a misprint where it says he’s sounding out players he can add, I reckon he means staff. He’ll probably retain carrick, McKenna goes back to coaching the reserves and phelan back to Australia.

binary bot
Harsh reality of appointing an interim manager. No in-demand managers are taking an interim role.

We'll have to accept that the appointment will be far from ideal.

Skills

Snitch
What's the point in that? Get the team acclimatised to a brand new set of coaches only for them all to change 6 months later? The whole point of an interim is to work within the current structure before the big changes
I think people have lost their shit with regards to the importance of the coaching staff. They're literally only there as an extension of the head coach - they do as they're told. Its just for the last 3 years, we had a manager who didn't want to coach and left them to it. And they were shown to be out of their depth in that scenario.

The builders became the architect, because the hired architect wasn't interested.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The point of that is to raise the level of our training sessions and collective performances. The point of an interim is to function as an interim, a placeholder. Like when Ole took the job and brought Phelan. McKenna and Carrick can still be there, but they'll be next to coaches who are more experienced than them and have more authority. It's fairly obvious.

I think he’ll bring in a staff, that Jamie Jackson article seems to be a misprint where it says he’s sounding out players he can add, I reckon he means staff. He’ll probably retain carrick, McKenna goes back to coaching the reserves and phelan back to Australia.
I doubt McKenna will go back to youth coaching. Phelan is surely out when an interim is in place, but the other two will be here still. Just hopefully alongside better and more experienced coaches.

Devil may care

I just realized he's not the other Barca manager beginning with V, apparently he's dead, and from the sounds of this thread he'd be a terrible choice for us.