ESL manager sack/walk watch

tomaldinho1

Whether Mou was sacked for taking a stand or saw this as a PR opportunity and walked because he was getting sacked in the summer is irrelevant, one manager has already gone. Do we expect Ole to walk and do we think anyone like Pep (who seems to sometimes care about moral issues but then works for City) or Klopp (who has spoken out against the ESL) will take a stand?

Arsenal - Arteta
Spurs - Jose
Liverpool - Klopp
City - Pep
United - Ole
Chelsea - Tuchel
Juve - Pirlo
Barca - Koeman
Real - Zidane
Athletico - Simeone
AC - Pioli
Inter - Conte

I think it's a great time for any manager not happy with their current seat - maybe someone like Arteta - to quit and gain a huge amount of positive PR & also will reveal a lot of managers' true colours. All of these guys could retire tomorrow, they don't need their jobs like the average joe and so they are as free as it's possible to be to choose if they want to be part of the ESL or not. I think Klopp, Ole and Arteta will walk.

izec

Klopp, Pep, Zidane would be the only ones who might be big enough to walk. The rest will take the money.

I think it depends if they knew or not. Some have strong principles, but i am not sure about it. Money talks and all the big clubs will be in the League anyway.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I can’t see Klopp not walking, it’s sickening they have even put him in this position.

Infra-red

I think Klopp might go. None of the German clubs are even in the super league, are they?

I'm sure he'd get plenty of offers for work in the Bundesliga.

rhajdu

Why would Klopp walk away? He was the one who was frustrated with West Brom to steal a "pointless point". He might be happy to not face any of those teams who are trying to take advantage of the wind.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Tottenham fans are saying before Everton in the press conference mourinho said that he knows why players aren't motivated but doesn't want to speak about the reason

He knew and if he walked because of a pr stunt or not, no one leaves before a cup final thats for sure.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ole has a job for life now. He can form the Manchester Globe Trotters with the Glazers and Ed. No way he walks, he probably can't believe his luck to be honest.
Any opportunity to have a pop at Ole. One of those ‘fans’, I see.

tomaldinho1

Why would Klopp walk away? He was the one who was frustrated with West Brom to steal a "pointless point". He might be happy to not face any of those teams who are trying to take advantage of the wind.
He's openly against the ESL and has spoken out against it multiple times.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
OGS always seems a football purist from what I hear and thoroughly respects the traditions of the domestic game. However he knows this is as good as it will get for his managerial career e.g. he isn't getting Bayern Munich or Barca jobs in future so suspect he'll stick around but perhaps he'll surprise me and resign on principle.

Going way back didn't Fergie say stuff before the Glazers took over and he stayed anyway.

Any manager who voluntarily walks away from this in next few weeks massively goes up in my estimation.

tomaldinho1

Ole has a job for life now. He can form the Manchester Globe Trotters with the Glazers and Ed. No way he walks, he probably can't believe his luck to be honest.
Let's avoid turning this into the umpteenth Ole in versus Ole out thread please.

Ole gives the impression of a heavily principled and honest guy, regardless of what you think of him as a manager, I'd be amazed if he stays

Infra-red

There will be loads of teams in the super league who are just there to steal a "pointless point". There's no relegation and therefore no incentive for cheap owners to invest in their clubs to get them performing.

You'll have a couple of clubs for whom winning it will be part of their vanity project (expect City to go all out to win the first one). Then you'll have a load of clubs like United, Arsenal and Spurs, who will stink the place out and be happy just to be there on the gravy train.

rhajdu

He's openly against the ESL and has spoken out against it multiple times.
Interesting. Thank you for this information, I'll check it. Anyway, I don't see any of those managers or players to walk away - hardly any option out there to continue their career on the same level. They might even relish the idea to face each other for more money.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I would take comments managers make in the heat of the moment post game with a huge pinch of salt if I were you.

It’s better to focus on what they say through other mediums and other interviews. None of which point to a man that would at all endorse this and I hope he walks. I’ll be walking away regardless.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I could imagine in a few years Ole cruising down the Manchester streets in his new lambo and suddenly, a mob starts throwing stones at it. Then he looks closely and the mob is filled with people like Gary Neville, Keano etc. his old mates.

MDFC Manager

Nobody else is going anywhere I think. None will speak out either, least of all people like Klopp.

OverratedOpinion

If Ole did decide to walk I would love it if he stayed and just openly started talking about the issues with the Glazer's ownership. Obviously they would then sack him the next time we lost 2 games but if you are going to walk and you are already a multimillionaire then what do you lose.

The fans would love him even more and I actually don't think it would effect his future employment opportunities because it is very public that there are issues with the Glazers.

lemmiwink

I could see Klopp, Ole and Arteta walking out. I am unsure about Pep, but in my heart of hearts I think he is a football man and that he will do the right thing as well. Apart from Arteta and Ole, it's not like any of these managers can't land a top job within the next 12 months anyway.

littlepeasoup

We're going to hear a lot of "I can't talk about that" over the next few weeks. I wonder how much these managers knew about the proposals - suppose we'll find out eventually.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I don't understand. What's this 'position' he's been put in?
He either has to publicly endorse this and be the manager of a founding member of this travesty of a competition which goes against every value he has ever espoused.

I take it as a United fan you will not watch much klopp related stuff or know a lot of his background but a quick google search will bring you a few articles and interviews.

Mr Smith

Pirlo I reckon could be sacked, Juve have been awful this season. I could legitimately see Klopp walking if Liverpool don't backtrack as well.

dove

I could see Klopp, Ole and Arteta walking out. I am unsure about Pep, but in my heart of hearts I think he is a football man and that he will do the right thing as well. Apart from Arteta and Ole, it's not like any of these managers can't land a top job within the next 12 months anyway.
But all those top jobs will be in the ESL anyway, so what's the point. I can't see any of them walking away, they would be stupid to.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
We're going to hear a lot of "I can't talk about that" over the next few weeks. I wonder how much these managers knew about the proposals - suppose we'll find out eventually.
This is exactly what I am expecting for the foreseeable future but I think a lot more radical decisions will be made if this isn’t stopped in its tracks. For now clubs managers and players will play the we don’t know, need to see what happens card.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He either has to publicly endorse this and be the manager of a founding member of this travesty of a competition which goes against every value he has ever espoused.

I take it as a United fan you will not watch much klopp related stuff or know a lot of his background but a quick google search will bring you a few articles and interviews.
If the Super League becomes a thing it'll be the most prestigious competition every manager will want to manage in. Having an opinion often doesn't correlate to your career decisions. There's plenty of players happily playing for middle East backed clubs and Klopp would take such a job if he had to, to further his career.

Are you saying he'd give up managing at the highest level if he didn't agree with its rules?

I actually think this won't happen and is a power move but I find it odd that people think managers will start walking. Maybe they'll be against it to present their view but I don't see they ruining their careers over it.

rhajdu

There will be loads of teams in the super league who are just there to steal a "pointless point". There's no relegation and therefore no incentive for cheap owners to invest in their clubs to get them performing.

You'll have a couple of clubs for whom winning it will be part of their vanity project (expect City to go all out to win the first one). Then you'll have a load of clubs like United, Arsenal and Spurs, who will stink the place out and be happy just to be there on the gravy train.
That might be true if those clubs are expelled from their respective domestic competitions. From my point of view, it is just another European Cup to appeal the younger generation. The domestic competitions remain untouched and that's what matters for me. I also think that those teams have to heavily invest to generate even more money and I also read that the idea follows a similar approach to other sports in U. S. which is fairly successful.

The current organizations had every chance to get it right, but spectaculary failed to do so. I don't say that I support this idea, I am rather indiffirent.